Has anyone picked up a PSP Slim yet by any chance? If so, how is it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I was almost tempted to get one...but something about it didn't seem right. The new PSP Slim looks like it's made from cheaper material, kind of like the way the DS is made. Also, I'm not liking the UMD slot because it looks too loose. Other than that, it does look pretty cool!

But just wondering to those who has one, how is it like? Is it worth getting? I have the original, but is it worth the upgrade?

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
I traded my old one in for the Daxter pack, mostly because I wanted the silver one. All in all it isn't a huge improvement... I like it quite a bit, but it isn't a revolutionary revamp or anything. I got it to take advantage of the video output, but sadly it doesn't come with the cable to do it. *curses Sony* It does feel a little easier to hold, but it is hard to recommend unless you want the video output feature, which incidently I haven't checked out yet because none of the stores in my area are carrying the cables yet.
PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PikaPichu
Member since 2003 • 17813 Posts
Is the screen any better than the old one? Like is it bigger or brighter? I heard the buttons felt a better than the old one too. Is that true?
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
I was tempted to pick one up but it has come out too late for me at this point. Had this been summer I would have been tempted but now I'm playing all sorts of games and have plenty more to play without a new platform.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

Is the screen any better than the old one? Like is it bigger or brighter? I heard the buttons felt a better than the old one too. Is that true?PikaPichu

I honestly don't notice any difference in the screen, I've heard it's brighter, but without a side by side comparison, I couldn't say. The buttons are very nice. I've just been playing Jeanne D'Arc, and Lumines, so without giving it the Tekken 5 test, I can't tell you if they are more responsive, or if the d-pad is better, but in my opinion the buttons are better than they used to be.

VMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 VMan
Member since 2003 • 4940 Posts
I have yet to own a PSP so the Slim will be my first. I'm waiting for the Piano Black version to launch. I obviously can't comment on the buttons but i'd guess the biggest reason to upgrade is if you want the video output.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I have yet to own a PSP so the Slim will be my first. I'm waiting for the Piano Black version to launch. I obviously can't comment on the buttons but i'd guess the biggest reason to upgrade is if you want the video output. VMan

I read a Gamepro article on the pros & cons of the PSP Slim. And about the buttons, they say that although it's better, since the buttons are made of a rubbery material, it gets really sticky when your fingers start to sweat.

So it's better but stickier buttons....I don't know whether that's good or bad.

VMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 VMan
Member since 2003 • 4940 Posts

[QUOTE="VMan"]I have yet to own a PSP so the Slim will be my first. I'm waiting for the Piano Black version to launch. I obviously can't comment on the buttons but i'd guess the biggest reason to upgrade is if you want the video output. ASK_Story

I read a Gamepro article on the pros & cons of the PSP Slim. And about the buttons, they say that although it's better, since the buttons are made of a rubbery material, it gets really sticky when your fingers start to sweat.

So it's better but stickier buttons....I don't know whether that's good or bad.

Well from my memory just off the top of my head right now playing my DS Lite, I don't recall my fingers sweating much if at all. So I guess i'll be alright.

flip13lolb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 flip13lolb
Member since 2007 • 227 Posts
it is a lot better and cheaper too
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
It is fantastic. It is an actually portable PSP. It is lighter than the DS Lite (which I find fascinating) and extremely well made (or so it feels like it is). I actually wouldn't be scared about dropping the slim a few feet onto carpet or something... whenever I hold an old PSP I'm scared to death that if it drops any distance it will just shatter.

The PSP Slim, just like the PS2 Slim, is what the PSP should have been from the start. It is the "PSP."
southy787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 southy787
Member since 2005 • 14571 Posts
I wouldn't really have the time or the opportunity to play a handheld console. I do think the PSP Slim is a great improvement, they have made it more portable and aesthetically it matches up to the DS. I just feel that I am more inclined towards the DS, it appears to have a wider and better selection of games, and whilst the PSP does have a couple of gems, as well as lots more functions, at the end of the day, i'd be buying the console to play games, not for any additional features.
armouredpriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 armouredpriest
Member since 2004 • 471 Posts

I can tell you: I was playing D&D:Tactics on the original model, then upgraded to a slim. I noticed a major difference in loading and game smoothness. For those that don't know, D&D Tactics is very clunky. If you don't have prior experience playing the pencil & paper version of D&D, I'd stay away. For my part I enjoyed the game (always thought 3rd edition D&D would make a great Shining Force style SRPG). The clunkiness is due to the numerous menus necessary to simulate all the options available to a D&D character. Between that and the fairly good graphics & music in the game, D&D Tactics has HORRENDOUS loadtime lenghths. Also there are internal game pauses even during a battle while shuffling through menus. The fact that the Slim PSP double the internal RAM from 32 Megs to 64 made that game way more playable. It is certainly notcible how much faster other games load, but it really stands out in D&D Tactics.

Also, the slim PSP doesn't feel like a brick...its really light weight. It also actually feels a bit sturdier.