halo...whats the big deal?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mike___9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mike___9
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Ive played halo 2 and 3 and im wondering if perhaps the first one was the only good one and these two are just building off of it's fame because in my personal opinion theyre average at best. just wondering what people think sets these games apart

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
This belongs in a blog or on system wars, it very close to trolling, but IMO though, Halo is a excellent shooter overall andtopics like these are a waste of time for alot of reasons, all your doing is stating your opinion and acting like its a fact overall, which is isn't, some people think its the best game ever, some dam what? Its their opinion, you gotta learn to live with it.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
They are a great entry point into the FPS genre. They are quite accessible and help build basic skills needed to play other games in the genre. Halo is a great way to get a taste for the FPS genre but you need to move past it if you are going to experience the "full monty" that the genre has to offer.
11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts
Halo is different in that it's not really about recoil control and precision at all. It's about getting the right weapon for the right situation and using different means (grenades, melee, shooting) combined to get the kill. Most "normal" shooters are mostly about having a better aim than the enemy. In halo you can bypass that by quick thinking and expecting where the enemy will come. Of course you also need to aim right, but it's less important than in other shooters.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts

You really should try halo 3's online multiplayer before you make any judgements. While I could list about a hundred different things that make it great, the main thing I like is the player matching system; instead of making you wait 10 minutes for a 16 player server to get filled up, it automatically matches you with 15 other players looking for the same type of game, and plus it automatically balances the teams based on individual experience/skill level.

sydstoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sydstoner
Member since 2006 • 452 Posts

Halo is a great sci-fi first person shooter. Fantastic online.

The problem is that its so popular that people love to say things like "it sucks", just to get attention and feel different from the crowd (like an emo).

If you dont like first person shooters you probably wont like halo but no need to rip into it like its the devil in disguise or something.

MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

Halo is different in that it's not really about recoil control and precision at all. It's about getting the right weapon for the right situation and using different means (grenades, melee, shooting) combined to get the kill. Most "normal" shooters are mostly about having a better aim than the enemy. In halo you can bypass that by quick thinking and expecting where the enemy will come. Of course you also need to aim right, but it's less important than in other shooters.11Marcel

That's why people are always vetoing "shotty snipers" because is soooo da** easy.:roll:

aaaaarrrrggggg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 aaaaarrrrggggg
Member since 2005 • 13979 Posts
Everything just seems to run smoothly for me. The different enemies, the shield system, and just the fluid movements of the characters. Nobody has to like the same types of gameplay, so for the most part liking the gameplay can be relative. It's not like there is a determined system of gameplay that everyone can like more than another. Like comparing games such as Call of Duty and Unreal Tournament. Slow and fast, Halo just seems to hit that good spot in the middle for me. I can understand how some people may not like its style, but it does annoy me when they brand me a fanboy just because i like it.
MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

Halo just seems to hit that good spot in the middle for me. I can understand how some people may not like its style, but it does annoy me when they brand me a fanboy just because i like it. aaaaarrrrggggg

Agreed.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 UT_Wrestler

Here's how I would put the scale between tactical and twitchy gun shooters. The top being the most tactical and the bottom being more fast-paced.

A: Tom Clancy shooters (rainbow six, ghost recon)

B: Semi-Tactical shooters (call of duty, gears of war)

C: Fast-Paced tactic-lite shooters (halo, medal of honor)

D: twitchy arcade shooters (unreal, quake, and their many clones)

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

I haven't played Halo 3 yet, but the first 2 games are two of the handful of FPS that get very close to perfection.

Of course, you may dig out a few quirks here and there; also they are pure shooters, meaning there's nothing else but shooting to be done and this may disgust those who feel sick by seeing anything even a little less complicated than Operation Flashpoint.

Halo is great IMO.

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts

Halo: Combat Evolved is widely acknowledged as one of the best games of all time... It is so awesome and defining, that it's greatness has yet to be eclipsed by either of it's sequels, or any other game in it's genre, IMO...

Hope this helps... :)

knighthwk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 knighthwk001
Member since 2007 • 90 Posts
dude, i didnt like it at first too, but then i saw and experianced halo 3 on a high def lcd tv, it owned so hard, i cant stand ppl who downsize it, srry
knighthwk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 knighthwk001
Member since 2007 • 90 Posts
hey, what is halo combat evolved?? ive only heard of halos 1,2, and 3
senorpablo24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 senorpablo24
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

I agree with you a bit, the first Halo was an excellent game just on a solo campaign, the story was intriging and everything just worked so well. For halo 2 and 3 I felt the stories were lacking. For me when I'm playing a game I want a great story. Even though i felt the Halo 2 and 3 dove away from a great story line, i still feel the actaully game play increasing got better and more addicting. Halo 3 online play is amazing and probably my worst addiction. I was without x-box live for a week or so, and I didn't want to play halo at all, I got online back and I could not stop playing. i think the multiplayer in halo is what truly makes one of the best games this year.

weffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 weffer
Member since 2004 • 1004 Posts
Halo is different in that it's not really about recoil control and precision at all. It's about getting the right weapon for the right situation and using different means (grenades, melee, shooting) combined to get the kill. Most "normal" shooters are mostly about having a better aim than the enemy. In halo you can bypass that by quick thinking and expecting where the enemy will come. Of course you also need to aim right, but it's less important than in other shooters. 11Marcel

that is probably the best description of halo gameplay I have ever read. 
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 UT_Wrestler

hey, what is halo combat evolved?? ive only heard of halos 1,2, and 3knighthwk001

Combat Evolved is the subtitle of Halo 1. It was just Bunjie's way of stating that they were taking an evolutionary step forward in the fps genre.

luno-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 luno-gamer
Member since 2007 • 405 Posts
You're right. The actual gameplay in the halo series is somewhat average. But the intense storyline and multiplayer is what I think makes The series so great.I think that halo is a very big deal. But assome will probably think the game is krappy or only average, just about everyone else thinks it kicks major ass. You are just one of the 3% or so that doesn't think its awesome :P
DukeLuckyLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DukeLuckyLuke
Member since 2006 • 85 Posts

The only reason Halo got so big is because it was the best FPS multiplayer on X-box, AND (as someone pointed out) very easy to get into game. However, compared to the best PC FPS titles (even back then, and especially now).... Halo is average at best.

I mean, would any PC gamer even dare to compare Halo 3 multiplayer to their fave PC shooter?

energyzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 energyzzz
Member since 2007 • 135 Posts
i like halo alot but probably the main reasons i would play would because of online not the story
Diobility

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 Diobility
Member since 2006 • 38 Posts
Halo is a great game, but it's not too different from the other Halo games aside from the storyline, I suppose. It's pretty much an upgrade version of the same Halo games. If you are a Halo fan, then it's awesome, other than that, it isn't God's gift to FPS whores. Halo probably has more followers than most FPS games, it'll have a large community to compete against in the online side of it.
Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Dutch_Mix
Member since 2005 • 29266 Posts

The only reason Halo got so big is because it was the best FPS multiplayer on X-box, AND (as someone pointed out) very easy to get into game. However, compared to the best PC FPS titles (even back then, and especially now).... Halo is average at best.

I mean, would any PC gamer even dare to compare Halo 3 multiplayer to their fave PC shooter?

DukeLuckyLuke

Did you read Gamespot's review?

"Not only is this easily the best of the Xbox launch games, but it's easily one of the best shooters ever, on any platform."

"Those who've spent the last few years looking for a first-person shooter as good as Rare's GoldenEye 007 or Valve's Half-Life will be happy to hear they need look no longer."

"Fans of Half-Life, GoldenEye 007, the Marathon series, and any other major single-player first-person shooter will be impressed by Halo, as should anyone else."

Honestly, whether you want to admit it or not, the original Halo was one of the greatest FPS ever.

Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#25 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
It's just fun to play...
TFrieden0928

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26 TFrieden0928
Member since 2007 • 324 Posts
Halo is great for many reasons. one its online multiplayer component. even though the story won't win any oscars the online always shines threw. Actually halo is the funnest online i have ever played. why? because it was so easy to play, i was a noob at once but after a couple matches i started to get a hang of it. i was never really interested into fps until halo. I think most gamers had the same experience, anyone can have fun with the game because its so easy to play. you don't have to know how to shoot,(well sometimes) you don't need to know the maps, and you don't need to face people twice your skill level. look at lil poison. hes 8yrs old and hes one of the best halo players out there, do you expect a 8yr old kid to beat people twice his age. no. but with halo he learned something quickly and was appealing to him. I wish i had halo when i was little man. unlike most shooters today, halo is appealing to all gamers cuz you don't have to get serious with it. you can just have fun and kill people.