GTA IV Review Theory.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

X360Gurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 X360Gurl
Member since 2007 • 513 Posts

Okay so lately theres been a lot of posts on how GTA IV sucked and the review was false hype etc. First off i don't think it sucked at all, I love it but anyway. I'll admit that the biggest failure in GTA IV was the lifespan of it, it's just not as fun as San Andreas. The story, the gameplay, the graphics everything else was great!

So it's been out since April, of course the reviewers couldn't have seen this far into the future of the games lifespan. I'm sure almost everyone that played the story mode in GTA would agree that it was so good! So how were the reviewers supposed to anticipate that this would happen in the future. I really don't think we should critisize the reviewers because for the short time (the story, the game itself definetly derserved a high 9's possibly 10). Does anyone understand what I'm trying to say?

What do you think about this?

Rampanterage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Rampanterage
Member since 2003 • 2215 Posts
I know one thing a bout GTAIV.... the story mode was really boring, the enviroments are all the same, the quests are almost the same, Niko is an @ss and I sold it on Ebay like a week later from the day I received it. San Andreas was a lota fun, with all the gangs, the diff enviroments and more variable quests. There's only 2 things that to me were improved in GTA IV... 1.The graphics looked a little better, but not for a perfect 10 review and 2. Shooting while in a car: this wasn't an improvement introduced by Rockstar, but a change in the buttons distribution from the original Xbox controller to the X360 controller. My review score for this game would not be over 9.0
mhsdrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 mhsdrake
Member since 2007 • 3091 Posts

I understand what you are trying to say and I also loved the game but it did not deserve a 10. I think there should only be about 1 game that gets a 10 each generation and GTA4 wasnt it. It is still the reviewer's job to predict the replayability of a game. The reviewers failed to see that it isnt as replayable as San Andreas. I would have given it 9.0 - 9.5

TheCraving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TheCraving
Member since 2003 • 648 Posts
I think the fact the most game reviewers were put up in a fancy 5 start hotel with all expenses paid adds to it. I mean c'mon, sat in a luxery room, a huge HDTV with this hyped game that probbaly looks amazing for the first time. I think this would definately sway someones review on the game.
hama666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 hama666
Member since 2004 • 3061 Posts
I see where you're coming from TC, but in all honesty even if you only play the game till the end of the story then you should know that it most certainly does not warrant a perfect score. I mean surely GameSpot, IGN and all the other reviewers should have experienced the repetition in the missions and how there was so much less to do compared to San Andreas - I mean you dont have to play for 100 hours to figure that one out.
mhsdrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mhsdrake
Member since 2007 • 3091 Posts
I think the fact the most game reviewers were put up in a fancy 5 start hotel with all expenses paid adds to it. I mean c'mon, sat in a luxery room, a huge HDTV with this hyped game that probbaly looks amazing for the first time. I think this would definately sway someones review on the game.TheCraving

Well it shouldnt be a factor to a good reviewer.
MatV47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 MatV47
Member since 2008 • 33 Posts
I actually liked the story in GTA IV, but after I completed it there is practically nothing to do. I tried to replay the story, but it didn't seem so interesting on the second playthrough. What I liked about GTA IV is the multiplayer mode.
MatV47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 MatV47
Member since 2008 • 33 Posts
I would give it a 8.0
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
It's still my candidate for Game of the Year. I't was one of those games where I felt "this is next-gen". One thing that I didn't like was the limitation of customizing your character which was fantastic in SA.
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
I think the game was horrible.Yeah the story had some good moments but other than that it just seemed like every other crime movie dealing with money,revenge,love, etc,etc.With the exception that gta4 had bad gameplay,a bad choice of weapons and anytime even the biggest GTA fan can admit it is not perfect you know damn well that GS review was based off of hype.10/10 my ass.Imo the game would be better suited with a 6.5/10
hama666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 hama666
Member since 2004 • 3061 Posts
I actually think people would have been less disappointed had they not first played the game at the back of reading all these 10/10 reviews. Some times too much hype does kill a game for you, and GTA IV is a prime example of this.
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#12 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
The number one problem with the game for me was this.Where was this'American Dream'GTA vice city you could run business and collect money,why can't you do this in GTA4?Only three clothing shops,a toll both?Not to spoil anything but one of the biggest things Niko asked for in the game was money,money,money.Did Rockstar forget to put things in the game to spend it on...you know worthwhile things?
Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

A small, vocal minority didn't like GTA IV. GTA user reviews are still overwhelmingly positive.

It wasn't the best game in the series, but it's still an outstanding sandbox game.