GTA clones/ripoffs or not?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bark00000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 bark00000
Member since 2007 • 92 Posts

I just though i would fire up this forum about supposed GTA ripoffs!

I seem to notice that everytime a freeroam game set in a city comes out, the first this everyone does is either judge it next to GTA or clearly just call RIPOFF.

I would like to clear some things up a bit about this because i am frankly sick of reading reviews about good games that tell me nothing about the actual game and only let me know how like or unlike GTA it is!

Now i will start by saying this. GTA did it right, first. No question about that. I cannot think of any game of that style that was any good predating the GTA franchise.

That being said, there are plenty of games that follow it that are great.

GTA seems to have hit on the right formula when it comes to making freeroam games, and therefore makes good games because of it. So when another freeroam franchise decides to use this formula to make their game, does that make it a ripoff? no...

If these games did not use the GTA formula (which btw is not all that complex... here is a city, drive, shoot, drive, shoot) then they would simply tank in sales!

So i hereby submit that games that use the GTA formula (of freeroam world with vehicles and such) should become their own genre so that we can finally stop using GTA as a benchmark and start to see these "ripoffs" for the great games they are!

games that would fit into this genre include (but not limited to)

-mafia

-saints row series

-GUN

-Scarface: the world is yours

-driver series

-etc

so people, add some games to my list if you want or just go on and on about how much you agree with my Godlike insight and wisdom

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#2 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts

Yeah,mafia is good,the rest on your list kind of stink. And it is a genre,it is either called "sandbox" or "freeroam". They do not get compared to GTA because there is no genre title,they get compared because none of them are anywhere near the quality or success of GTA except for arguably Saints Row,which is a blatant ripoff of GTA san andreas. Even the people who love saints row over GTAIV will tell you its because its like san andreas.

Next time come back with an actual argument.

bark00000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bark00000
I only started this thread because i just looked up mafia, gun, and scarface and all of them were at one point called GTA ripoffs by reviewers (lookem up) Sandbox is a TYPE of game, but not actually an accepted genre yet (or at least not as well defined as say FPS or RTS) one thing i do agree on is the saintsrow similarities to SA. I seriously felt like i was playing a really big SA mod when i played SR2. And i don't have any argument to start with to be honest... my intention is not to argue with you, but to get some ideas of good GTA games that are unique in their own way. This is not an attempt to make a useless point but really to explore more options within my favorite kind of game!
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
I think Gun was a pretty nice game.
ssc604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ssc604
Member since 2008 • 99 Posts

I just though i would fire up this forum about supposed GTA ripoffs!

I seem to notice that everytime a freeroam game set in a city comes out, the first this everyone does is either judge it next to GTA or clearly just call RIPOFF.

I would like to clear some things up a bit about this because i am frankly sick of reading reviews about good games that tell me nothing about the actual game and only let me know how like or unlike GTA it is!

Now i will start by saying this. GTA did it right, first. No question about that. I cannot think of any game of that style that was any good predating the GTA franchise.

That being said, there are plenty of games that follow it that are great.

GTA seems to have hit on the right formula when it comes to making freeroam games, and therefore makes good games because of it. So when another freeroam franchise decides to use this formula to make their game, does that make it a ripoff? no...

If these games did not use the GTA formula (which btw is not all that complex... here is a city, drive, shoot, drive, shoot) then they would simply tank in sales!

So i hereby submit that games that use the GTA formula (of freeroam world with vehicles and such) should become their own genre so that we can finally stop using GTA as a benchmark and start to see these "ripoffs" for the great games they are!

games that would fit into this genre include (but not limited to)

-mafia

-saints row series

-GUN

-Scarface: the world is yours

-driver series

-etc

so people, add some games to my list if you want or just go on and on about how much you agree with my Godlike insight and wisdom

bark00000

YOU

ARE

FAILLL!!!

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts
Saints row is good, just totally ott which i love about it.Kinda love it just being a total excess and Crackdown for me is more a GTA game due to the fact it was made by a studio headed by the guy who came up with the GTA concept :P
CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts

Driver actually started the 3D sandbox genre, so by listing Driver as a rip-off/clone, you really don't read up on things. Sure, it has gotten stale with Driv3r, but still.

Also, Saints Row may be a rip-off, but it is the best rip-off ever.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#8 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Saint's Row 1 & 2 are great games, they aren't really meant to be GTA, they are way too over the top. But if you just want to have fun, without all the seriousness of GTAIV Saint's Row is great. I'm glad they made them and hope for another.
DOF_power

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DOF_power
Member since 2008 • 804 Posts

>

^ The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall started the sanbox genre and it's still the biggest sanbox game ever made.

bark00000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bark00000
I actually only listed driver because it often gets overlooked as the original and simply labled a GTA like game. thats all. Trust me, i have been playing the driver series since day 1
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#11 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
[QUOTE="CRS98"]

Driver actually started the 3D sandbox genre, so by listing Driver as a rip-off/clone, you really don't read up on things. Sure, it has gotten stale with Driv3r, but still.

Also, Saints Row may be a rip-off, but it is the best rip-off ever.

I wouldn't consider driver the start of the genre because you couldn't get out of your car. There are tons of free-roaming games before driver in which you had to stay in your vehicle.
bigzlarg3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bigzlarg3
Member since 2009 • 96 Posts
I think it's stupid when people say that sandbox/freeroaming games are GTA ripoffs, isn't that like saying that all FPS games are Doom ripoffs?
Genia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Genia
Member since 2003 • 185 Posts

The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall started the sanbox genre and it's still the biggest sanbox game ever made.

DOF_power

Most people seemed to have just skipped over this. I think its a fairly good point. Are we talking only modern city based games here? I recall that Assasins creed is a sandbox style game (correct me if im wrong Ive only briefly played it) but doesnt seem to be mentioned either? Oblivion? Morrowind? Fallout? These all have very strong sandbox elements but are not in any way rip-offs of GTA. So I kinda agree that sandbox is not really a genre but a feature/design decision.

Some of the games the OP mentioned though do seem to be undeniably strongly inspired by GTA but unfortunately I cant comment on them as I havent played any of those games since GTA II.

PS: A sandbox-esque game that has some similarities to GTA but is otherwise a totally unique game is Postal 2 ... so its not a rip-off. Unfortunately its also pretty rubbish.

Genia