Greatest RTS game/series of all time?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Solace92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Solace92
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
For me I'd say that the greatest RTS out of the box would be Total Annihilation (1997) with both of it's expansion packs. The game has literally hundreds of units that are unique to each faction, there are dozens of multiplayer maps, the campaigns are enjoyable, and it has a stellar soundtrack. Unfortunately Total Annihilation lacks in customization. There are lots of user made maps, mods, and custom units, but there is no built-in map editor like in most other RTS games, and there are no custom games like in StarCraft or other RTS games, there is only melee in Total Annihilation (destroy your enemies base and kill his/her commander). Another shortcoming of Total Annihilation is that when you head online, unlike StarCraft: Brood War, it can be relatively hard to find people to play with. You can however find a few people on PhoeniX WorX, WarZone, and GameSpy Arcade however. However, for a game that has been perfected, I'd say the original StarCraft (1998), with Brood War. StarCraft has a great storyline, unique units for each faction, a built in map editor, an average soundtrack, and the greatest online service of all time, the original (not 2.0) Battle.net. One thing that separates StarCraft: Brood War from the hundreds of other RTS games out there is not only Battle.net, but the ability to play custom games on Battle.net. The original map editor was pretty weak, but the community created several custom map editors (I recommend X-tra Editor in special mode for units and triggers, and StarForge for terrain) to create maps with. Custom maps range from defense maps to RPGs to bounds to movie maps to zombie survival maps, and everything in between. StarCraft also has millions of players from all around the world and is still the most popular RTS game of all time, despite being over 10 years old.
Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 Chiddaling
Member since 2008 • 9106 Posts
Starcraft.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Oh this could turn into a really good discussion :3 People are not looking for the same things in an RTS to begin with But I guess Ill place my top 5.

1) Company of Heroes

2) Starcraft (2)

3) Homeworld

4) Dawn of War

5) KKnd

I have playied alot of RTS games in my time, I started with the obligatory Dune 2 (for obvious reasons) which I back then found pretty good.

Then came Warcraft 2, I really liked that game, and I still prefer it over WC3 (which to me felt more like a reskinned 3d version of Starcraft, with heros and leveling thrown in, I did not care for that one)

I playied Total Anihilation, but at that time KKND came out aswell, Which I found the better game, the game was the first I think that had 2 pretty diverse factions fighting it out, and a really cool world to boot. So TA never got as much attention in the long run.

A year later Starcraft came along, I liked it, but I was beginning to grow a bit tired of the same formula they all had since Dune2 (TA none withstanding)

Then in 2003 I think (2 years late to the party) I playied Homeworld, it was the first Relic game I ever playeid I think, and It was quite different, it had a different focus, and what I still consider the beststory in an RTS game.Homeworld 2 let me down a bit.

Around that time I playied Generals aswell, it was the first C&C game I really liked, it seemed alot more diverse and had alot more different tactics avaiable then the real C&C games, the setting and the polish all hit home with me.

A year later Dawn of War came along, this is a notable game for me, I had stopped playing RTS games, mainly due to the same formula that had been reusedso many times, always a focus on as many units and base building as possible, and not really a focus onbattelfield tactics.Dawn of war was 2 things to me: the first good WH40k game (I was a big gamesworkshop fan, and loved the 2nd ed of Wh40k) And bought alot to the RTS mix, Turteling was reduced alot since you ahd to cap points, and the focus was not all that much on base building, but rather on battlefield tactics, and the best use, with the best counters against the enemy.

That game made me fall in love with RTS again, granted, it was not the first game to have armor value and weapon penetration stats (first one I playied that had that was KKND, that I remember where it really made a difference)

After Dawn of War, came Company of Heroes.

Ironicly I started my time with CoH hating it, I were never a big fan of the ww2 setting, but at some point I found myself really enjoying the game, placement, direction, flanking, coverand such really ended up making it my Preferred RTS game, altho it was not the most ballanced one.

Dawn of War 2, I did not care as much about, altho I liked the "last hero standing minigame"

Last on the list came Starcraft 2, After all that time, it felt nice comming back to that kind of rts game, after all it has been a while since the last one following the teachings of Dune 2, While some things did not sit too well to begin with, I quickly came to like it a whole lot, especially the SP part.

Right now I play both Coh and SC2, they are so little alike that if you asked me, I would say that they appeal to two different audiences, one gives what teh other lacks, so it is agood mix.

Still there are many RTS games I never even begun playing, altho I do think I have been over a good part of them.

JackBurton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#4 JackBurton
Member since 2002 • 3808 Posts

Total Annihilation + The Core Contingency
Homeworld + Cataclysm
StarCraft + Brood War

VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts
Starcraft 2. of course.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17888 Posts
if the total war series is in the running then that. but it is a rts/tbs hybrid. awesome series though...im dying for shogun 2 :). if its not counted then....hmmmm tough. starcraft 2 is very kewl. every mission has its own little twist which keeps it interesting. homeworld cataclysm is also brilliant. imho its a much better game than the first. homeworld 2 is also fab. i also loves my dawn of war games. yes dawn of war 2 also...different but still great. i probably should pick up chaos rising at some point :P. screw it...its thursday morning and theres an easterly breeze...dawn of war series.
LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

The original Age of Empires is mine. I always go back to that game. Really do like it at a lot. I hope the new one lives up to the original.

blaqphantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 blaqphantom
Member since 2010 • 1829 Posts
Warcraft III ROC + TFT is the greatest rts of all time...ALL TIME.
Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
My list: StarCraft Warcraft Age of Empires Totally loved these series. Still playing them to this day.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44711 Posts
Homeworld 2 is still my favorite
Reiji-Arisu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Reiji-Arisu
Member since 2009 • 651 Posts
Command & Conquer Supreme Commanders
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Easily Stracraft/Stacraft 2

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

I say C&C and Age of Empires, hands down.

HQ-almighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HQ-almighty
Member since 2010 • 125 Posts

Spartan - PC

gideonkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 gideonkain
Member since 2006 • 301 Posts

Its Starcraft, hands down.

You can have as many rose colored memories about old RTS games but from a game mechanics perspective every game prior was a mishmash of units and almost no considerationof balance

The "strategy" was to pick the clearly better/overpowered race.

Solid_Snake325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Solid_Snake325
Member since 2006 • 6091 Posts
Warcraft.
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Homeworld.
JW-toch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JW-toch
Member since 2008 • 344 Posts

Company of Heroes and Warcraft 3!

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#19 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
As a series, there's no contest to Command & conquer. As a game, I'd say Starcraft.
Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

TA was pretty lame, honestly. It had a nice UI and was way ahead of its time in many respects but all the variety of units you could produce were so generic you could barely tell them apart.

I still have to go with Starcraft. My second favorite is probably Rise of Nations.

djsundowner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 djsundowner
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts

I say C&C and Age of Empires, hands down.

LikeHaterade

I agree whole-heartedly!

metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts

My first RTS will always have a special place in my heart, Herzog Zhfi, ugh, I can never spell that right.

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
COH, followed by SC or SC2.
Ohaidere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ohaidere
Member since 2008 • 3124 Posts

Gonna have to go with the herd and say Starcraft.