Greatest Hits vs. Original Copies

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShadowedSight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ShadowedSight
Member since 2008 • 1902 Posts

I had recently went to a local gaming store and they had a copy of FFVII (GH) for 40$. I bought it and now am wondering if I should ebay it and spend extra money to get a black label version.

Do you personally try to get black labels or do you not really care?

zeundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 zeundertaker
Member since 2007 • 334 Posts
Personally I don't really care if I get the black labels for PS2 games, or if it is a platinum hit version for the original xbox games, but I try not to get the greatest hits or platinum hits versions for the 360 and PS3 games because I think the cases look ugly.
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts
I really don't care, since it still the same game. Original Copies are just much rarer and can be more expansive then GH copies, through I just found a original copy of FFVIII for $15.
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts
the only time i worry about this is when i need a new copy because some saves on the original dont play on greatest hits (gtavc, sa) the original sa has more stuff than gh and for vc it has different way of coninueing to the 2nd island original gets to 2nd island before you get diaz mansion and the gh version doesnt
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
I mainly care about the actual game and not the packaging. Of course if I have the option I always go with the original copy.
Avatar image for JannettyTRocker
JannettyTRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JannettyTRocker
Member since 2006 • 1160 Posts
A few years ago, I use to only look for the original games. But then I realized, the 'Greatest Hits' version is cheaper and is still the same game. And I'm a pack-rat when it comes to my games. I never sell my games, ever, so what do I care if it's a "greatest hits" or "original". It may be different if you're looking at your games as an investment and you plan to sell them later on. But if you plan to keep the games, then who cares about the label. BTW, the guy up above is right. The PS3/Xbox 360 "greatest/platinum hits" have hideous boxes/artwork. I avoid them at all cost just because of that fact.
BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#7 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts
I won't go out of my way to get a a standard copy, and I certainly won't pay any more money to get one, but presented withthe option, i'll go for the standard
hurriflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#8 hurriflash
Member since 2008 • 645 Posts

In Europe we have Platinum in place of Greatest Hits. However i take always originals.

wassup432

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#9 wassup432
Member since 2007 • 1025 Posts
I go with the original copies if I can.
klidron02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 klidron02
Member since 2008 • 454 Posts
It really doesn't matter at all to me. I get whatever I can find cheap.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Unless you're a collector then it doesn't matter.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1ce8a28ee45
deactivated-5b1ce8a28ee45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 105

#12 deactivated-5b1ce8a28ee45
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
If given a choice, I'll go with the original version. But I don't really care that much--definitely not enough to go out of my way looking for one, or to pay extra for it.
Leon7J7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Leon7J7
Member since 2008 • 738 Posts
I have a sealed black label copy of FF7 and it's worth alot more than a greatest hits copy..
dark_orb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#14 dark_orb
Member since 2004 • 1503 Posts
Anybody that seriously collects games goes for the original release of a given title. Usually because it's worth a lot more then a greatest hits copy. I have a couple GH releases for ps1 but I tend to go out of my way to make sure I only get original release copies of my games. I find the "Greatest Hits" part of the cover looks bad and clashes with all the regular release games I have, but that's just me and I'm crazy.
Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts
These days I dont care if it's a greatest hits. I buy games to play. Plain & simple.
SirSpudly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 SirSpudly
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts

Anybody that seriously collects games goes for the original release of a given title. Usually because it's worth a lot more then a greatest hits copy. I have a couple GH releases for ps1 but I tend to go out of my way to make sure I only get original release copies of my games. dark_orb

Collectors always buy all versions of a game from their region. In the case of FFVII, there is a misprint version of the originals where two letters got switched around on the back-label. Even now, there is a $20 mark-up on that version.

kadomony1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kadomony1988
Member since 2007 • 510 Posts
i always try to get the original of a game unless the GH has extra features like silent hill 2 or devil may cry 3
DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
PS1's non-GH, and GH games were much same except few GH games with different publishers like Dragonball GT Final Bout. Few PS2's non-GH, and GH games were mixed with updated extras, or different games as exclusive GH like Silent Hill 2, Silent Hill 2 Restless Dreams, Namco Museum, Namco Museum 50th Anniversity, Virtua Fighter 4, and Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution.
e3li7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 e3li7e
Member since 2008 • 281 Posts
I think the game is a game and just a disc. They sell them the same in game stores no matter what kind of box their in. That GH vs. black label stuff to me is cooked up by collectors to get more money for their games when they sell them. GH games were made by the game companies in the first place to say hey we sold abunch of these games and now we want to sell them to you for a cheaper price. But when I look at it, everything comes down in price overtime anyways. Rare games should just be judged on how many copies are actually out there in existence and not wether it's a GH game or not.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#21 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

It's just a different label. It's not worth it.

All you're gonna get for it is nerd cred which isnt worth a dime.

But I do have the original black label version of the game myself... I use to care, but now a day it really makes no difference to me. You're being pretty materialistic if you can't buy a greatest hits.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#22 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

+your wrong there is no difference in gta sa and vice city original and gh i own both lol, the only difference is the hot coffee mod is gone,

thats it, for those who modded it any how lol,

i played through san andreas for my xbox using a trillogy and a gh disc , no difference also did it with original , n othing is different except the game saves didnt work for the trillogy but they worked the other way around , eg if i save on trillogy it would then work for any previeus version but if i did the original then the 2nd or trillogy, editions , nope had to do it over,

the same for vice city, the 2nd island is actually a small one next to golfcourse then 3rd is the one with airport as well as the mansion l, the only difference is n64 games, under the cheaper version i found goldeneye to be easily broken , i used one for only 1 week it stopped working, but the original worked 3 yrs after i had it,

before it stoped ,

Skylarkell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Skylarkell
Member since 2007 • 2797 Posts
I dont really care but I do have some black label games.
coconutkokal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 coconutkokal
Member since 2006 • 176 Posts
whatever is cheaper!!!
thaflu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

User Lists: -1

#25 thaflu
Member since 2006 • 659 Posts

Unless you're a collector then it doesn't matter.Treflis

This sum up the whole topic.

Yameneko549

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 Yameneko549
Member since 2003 • 4522 Posts
The only time it's ever mattered to me is with Metroid Prime. The Player's Choice version has been altered to take out some bugs and block off certain sections of the game until specific events occur. Otherwise, I'd say that they're all the same game (with a few exceptions), so go nuts with the copy you've got.
N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 N8A
Member since 2007 • 18602 Posts
i've sold a couple of my black labels on ebay nd bought the greatest hits copies, but never the other way around.
GAMECAMILLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#28 GAMECAMILLER
Member since 2005 • 4994 Posts
It dpeends on your preference, but Blach label versions tend to fetch more value. I peronally go for the black label versions, but sometiems i'm just happy to get the game. :P
ebbderelict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#29 ebbderelict
Member since 2005 • 3992 Posts
It really doesn't matter at all to me. I get whatever I can find cheap.klidron02
That sounds about right.
ThePostMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#30 ThePostMaster
Member since 2008 • 29760 Posts
I rather have the Original one b/c I like the look better but Geatest Hits is fine too b/c its less cash
Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
When I purchase a game I typically spend very little time staring at a plastic case. I feel that time is better spend actually playing the game.
cfamgcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 cfamgcn
Member since 2004 • 5587 Posts
I'd try to get an original, since I don't have time to play that much nowadays and it is mainly for my collection, but I don't have problems with getting a GH copy. ~ de arimasu
Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts
I usually have a preference for original copies, unless the greatest hits has extra content. It's not that big of a deal for me, if I want a game and only see the greatest hits in the store, i'll still get it. I mention this because my brother wouldn't.
Omega_Zero69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Omega_Zero69
Member since 2006 • 13668 Posts
unless im keeping the game i care for the original and i dont know why