Great video game music

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 ShadowJax04
Member since 2006 • 3351 Posts

Hi. In this thread we show and discuss great video game music. Great video game music comes from all genres. You hear the catchy radio tracks in GTA games, you have  the immersive and subtle music of the Mojave Wasteland, unless you turn on the radio. That radio is far less subtle (looking at you Big Iron) 

One of my favorite video game pieces actually comes from a pretty old RTS game called Empire Earth (OR Empireth Earth according to the guy in the intro) and it's called SHADOWS 

To understand the song, you must understand one of the underlying game mechanic

In this game you  move through different epochs of human history, up to the point of our distant future and basically duke it out.

Now the low drums and the horn in the song gives it a primal 'prehistoric' fee lwhile the synth / violin gives it an ethereal almost sci-fi feel. You get a different sense depending on which you focus on. It may be intended as a subtle metaphor for what the game is about.

Song can be found here,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbxP7KrzNLI

Next up on my list of awesome music is Heroes of Might and Magic 3: The NECROPOLIS theme, found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXGBh_3J25g

I have always been attracted to the undead in strategy games and this theme takes the cake for saying "I am the baddest necromancer out there".

Kudos to anyone who read this through and I hope you will share some nice video game music in this thread, perhaps with a little bit of backstory for why you think it's good.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

Starts @ 0:24 - The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Intro):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC0KIrKIEYM

BETTER VERSION: http://zeldauniverse.s3.amazonaws.com/soundtracks/alinktothepastost/opening_demo.mp3

I think it's one of my favorite Zelda tunes, and it sets the adventuring tune for what is likely my favorite Zelda game of all time.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#3 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I think Final Fantasy X has the greatest video game soundtrack ever, but I don't feel like explaining why at the moment, so I'm just going to copy/paste a post from a FF music thread I made a while ago:

My choice for best OST is FFX's soundtrack and I honestly don't think it's even a contest.

First of all, the sound quality is better than the games that came before it, so that makes a big difference. In FFX, you're getting a far "fuller" sound than its predecessors. However, it's not sound quality alone that makes it the best. After all, XII and XIII have better sound quality, but their soundtracks are far more forgettable.

The main reason I think FFX's soundtrack is the best is because it's exotic. I credit this to the fact that it wasn't just Nobou Uematsu working on the music for this game. There were three composers and as a result there seems to be more sonic variety on display here. Not to mention that the locales had more of a South East Asian feel to them, which had to be worked into the music. The previous FF's had a more European atmosphere to them.

I also think that FFX's soundtrack has more sonic texture. There is more atmosphere and ambience than in previous soundtracks, but the melodies are still memorable, unlike FFXIII, which felt like it erred too much on the side of ambience.

As for some examples of the best I think the soundtrack has to offer:

Someday The Dream Will End. This lush orchestration of one of the game's main musical motifs is stunning. It starts out really gentle and dreamy, but it builds up to the point that the dreamy melody floats above a more forceful, monolithic sound that matches the sort of ancient largeness of the Zanarkand ruins.

Besaid Island. Another really lush track whose purpose is to communicate the feel of a lush island paradise. They could have just went with some generic island music, but this track is really interesting. Listen to the bells in the background, that pulsating synth sound in the back (which kind of reminds me of the rhythm of the tides going in and out), the interesting use of snare drum. All of this combines to form something really peaceful but also exotic.

The Sight of Spira. This is a really gorgeous acoustic track that really gives the villages in Spira a really lived-in feel. The ambient and rather "cavernous" use of aucoustic guitar is really brilliant and again, there's something exotic about this track. The periodic knocking on wood and the somewhat discordant part where the guitarist seems to "mess up" intentionally really make the song interesting and gives it a bit of grittiness, which matches the sort of low-tech lifestyle of Besaid and Kilika.

Wandering Flame. This is probably the most beautiful "ambient" track that I've heard in an RPG. It gives a distinct feeling of loneliness and mystery, but there's a really subtle jazzy undercurrent that's irresistable.

Blitzball Gamblers. This track is really moving because it feels like pure triumph. You can feel the adrenaline in the drums, horns, and strings. It's a really bright, triumphant track, but it's not at all cheesy.

Silence Before The Storm. One of the most atmopsheric songs on the OST. It has a really pleasant sound to it, but for all its dreamy beauty, there is something really mysterious about it. Something that kind of reminds one of unsettling creatures in a forest labyrinth. Another song that gives me this same feeling is Saria's Song from LOZ: Ocarina of Time.

Thunder Plains. This one has a kind of hypnotic quality to it, starting from the metronome in the beginning. The music is alot more gentle than you would think it would be for a setting based on thunder, but the choppy, rolling piano still communicates that feel in a rather unorthodox way. This track is a really good example of what I mean by exotic. There's a certain strangeness to this track that makes it stand out.

Luca. This song has alot of what I love about the Besaid Island song, but there's a more frantic sound to it that really suits Luca's hectic mercantile atmosphere. There is sort of a seafaring undercurrent to it that I really like. You can imagine people carrying stuff through crowded streets.

Phantoms. This song has crystalline quality to it that sounds like ice and snow and what not. But at the same time, it has the sort of driving monolithicness to it that Someday the Dream Will End does. This song really reminds me of that one in many ways, except this one has a more arctic feel to it and isn't as melodic.

I love the main theme (To Zanarkand) as well, but I feel its kind of played out and tho it has a moving melody, I feel it's not quite as interesting as the tracks I've listed, probably because it's not as dense.

There are tons more songs I wanted to list, so my post is only scratching the surface, but this post is all ready too long as it is.

I know I've used the word exotic too much, but it really describes FFX's OST very well. There's a more feminine feel to this game's music than in the other games, but there's alot of grit to the music as well. It really gives off a mysterious, lush, and ancient feeling that is evident in so much of the game's visual design.

Also, the vocal track in FFX is alot less cheesy than Melodies of Life and Eyes on Me from FFIX and FFVIII. I still like those songs alot because they have strong melodies, but they are pretty cheesy. Suteki da ne is not really cheesy at all. I think it's a Japanese folk song, tho I could be wrong.GreySeal9

jiggaloj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 jiggaloj
Member since 2006 • 4345 Posts

Persona 4 Golden has the best OST, in my opinion. The music just goes so well with the story and characters.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

far cry 3 soundtrack is real sweet.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

here's one of my best pick,it's from Klonoa Heroes Densetsu no Star Medal(JP)

song= Sign of Hero

linky

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#7 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Every track in Dark Souls is mind numbingly awesome and original.

It makes me sad there's nowhere to really buy the album.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

Shadow of the Colossus has the greatest soundtrack. It's a great aural experience on it's own, but when paired with the with imagery in the game it creates a work of art. The music adds to the experience of the game, it blends with what is happening during key moments. It's not a backdrop, something placed there to superficially add emotion or alleviate silence, but to enhance what is already present on screen. Granted this should be the goal any good soundtrack, but I've yet to play a game that has executed it as well as Shadow of the Colossus.

There are tracks that add to the tension and mystery of the giants you encounter.

Creeping Shadow ~ Battle With the Colossus ~

The music can also lead to introspection.

The End of the Battle

There isn't a fanfare after a battle. No jubilant tune to congratulate your slaughter. It carries with it a sense of sorrow, as these constructs resembled living creatures with a will of their own. 

The music can be thrilling as well.

Revived Power ~Battle With the Colossus~

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#9 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
Everything in Final Fantasy X and Mass Effect 3 is awesome
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Max Payne 3 

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

The Ys games really have an astounding soundtrack.  Possibly the best in any game I've ever played.  So atmospheric, so heartpounding, the range of music in these games really blows my min given how simple the levels and gameplay are.  The tunes always match the level scheme and action presented on-screen and the grand adventure you're undertaking, gives it a grand sense of scale and urgency.  The majority are fast paced tunes to match the action played out through the game, but are off-set by some really atmospheric and mellow tunes that are great as well.  A few of my favorites:

Dreaming - Ys I & II Chronicles

Solomon Shrine - Ys I & II Chronicles

A Searing Struggle - Ys: The Oath in Felghana

(Boss Theme) Overdrive - Ys: Origin

Ice Ridge of Noltia - Ys I & II Chronicles

Beyond the Beginning - Ys: Origin

(Boss Theme) Termination - Ys: Origin   I'll say I was tempted to leave this one off the list, but given how the stage was set for this epic battle and theme that accompanies it.. well...

(Boss Theme) The Strongest Foe - Ys: The Oath in Felghana

Scars of the Divine Wing - Ys: Origin 

Prelude to the Omen - Ys: Origin

Really I could list the entire OST from these games.  Just that damn good.  Great games to go along with the kick-ass music as well.  Highly recommend them to anyone who hasn't played them already.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

Already started to wonder where this month's "Great Video Game Music" Thread had been stuck....

ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ShadowJax04
Nice choices everyone

Already started to wonder where this month's "Great Video Game Music" Thread had been stuck....

Justforvisit
Nice of you to show. Now share! Here's another favorite of mine. The sweet but short "start menu music" of Mass Effect 1 which pretty much set the whole series' athmosphere in stone for me. Great track. I like a lot of ambient game music. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2CzIcNwvTw
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#14 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5905 Posts

Afro Samurai. I probably say this on the majority of these kinds of threads that always seem to pop up.

Also Silent Hill 2 and Chrono Trigger are among my favorite video game soundtracks.

Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts
Everything in Final Fantasy X and Mass Effect 3 is awesomeThe_Last_Ride
I honestly thought Mass Effect 3's soundtrack was terrible compared to the previous ones, as for my favorites To the moon has great music, Journey, Max Payne 3, and the Batman Arkham games.
23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

Usually when one of these threads is made I find it hard not to post so many songs because there's so much amazing music from so many great games. So this time i'll just post something from ME1 since I played it just recently, in which case is even difficult because the series has got one of the best soundtracks. But this one just captured the atmosphere so perfectly on Noveria. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNJ1DLnBmaE

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#17 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

"Apotheosis" from Journey is downright enchanting.

All three songs from Bastion are marvelous.

"Cassiel" from Splice is fantastic.

"Shinsu Planes" from Okami is always a favorite.

There's plenty more, but I'm blanking on the names right now.

IndianaPwns39

I wasn't a fan of most of its tracks (lot of 'em felt to similar to one another, while some felt way too epic in scope for their own good [the Gaping Dragon's theme, for instance]), but I agree. Dark Souls has some great music. The themes for Firelink Shrine, Artorias, Gwn, Ask Lake, and The Nameless Song are particular highlights.

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

Two tracks really stand out for me.

The hauntingly brilliant  An End Once and For All from Mass effect 3 has to be one of the saddest and most poignant pieces of music ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5JvbD2Zc9I

...then there's many from Deus Ex: Human Revolution but in particular Icarus Rising:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiN6t7K7txw

Both should be at the top of any game music chart.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#19 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
GreySeal9
Great post. The Xenogears OST is one of the best in gaming. Thames, The Men of the Sea This is one of the best in the game. It is energetic with a good tempo and a charming tune.
GeoffZak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GeoffZak
Member since 2007 • 3715 Posts

Tales of Legendia has the absolute best video game soundtrack of all time.

I feel as though I can't stress this enough.

Not enough people know about ToL's incredible music. The game deserves so much more respect and attention.

Seriously. The game should get an award for its music.

The soundtrack if freaking beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKdaEiQtkOQ

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Not enough people know about ToL's incredible music. The game deserves so much more respect and attention.

GeoffZak

I don't think I'd go that far. Music's good -- like, real good -- but... I don't know. Need to listen to it again. Don't remember any of it.

Game was pretty damn great, though. Only wish it didn't have all those "fake-out" endings. If the game's not over, don't play the credits!

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#22 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Too many great tracks to name. For now, I'll just leave Persona 3 and Persona 4's final boss themes here. I also like this song from Bayonetta. It makes me want to dance. :P

Actually, I'll throw this in too. It's "Godsibb" from Xenosaga Ep 3, performed live, with Yuki Kajiura herself on the keyboard. This performance blew me away. It sounds even better than it did in the game.

mark552495786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mark552495786
Member since 2013 • 69 Posts

Great post.  I love the sounds of games and taken 5 is the best.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#24 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

"Apotheosis" from Journey is downright enchanting.

All three songs from Bastion are marvelous.

"Cassiel" from Splice is fantastic.

"Shinsu Planes" from Okami is always a favorite.

There's plenty more, but I'm blanking on the names right now.

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

c_rake

I wasn't a fan of most of its tracks (lot of 'em felt to similar to one another, while some felt way too epic in scope for their own good [the Gaping Dragon's theme, for instance]), but I agree. Dark Souls has some great music. The themes for Firelink Shrine, Artorias, Gwn, Ask Lake, and The Nameless Song are particular highlights.

I think The Gaping Dragon is the only one I didn't enjoy simply because that particular boss is so easy. Ornstein and Smough have a bombastic song, but it fits because they're such a struggle. 

I get what you're saying, though the stand out tracks for Dark Souls truly stand out.

I do wish I could get my hands on a (not so expensive) copy of the Dark Souls soundtrack. Or at least get a best of Demon's Souls/Dark Souls compilation.

CastieI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CastieI
Member since 2013 • 124 Posts
Chrono Cross: Scars of Time is the best single track I've heard while playing a game.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]BranKetra
Great post. The Xenogears OST is one of the best in gaming. Thames, The Men of the Sea This is one of the best in the game. It is energetic with a good tempo and a charming tune.

Thanks.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GreySeal9

GeoffZak

The song in the link is good and all, but it definitely doesn't sound anywhere close to best of all time material.

Anyway, I found a stunning orchestra-performed version of Someday The Dream Will End from Final Fantasy X. This performance made me feel a little tingly inside.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GreySeal9

Chrono Cross: Scars of Time is the best single track I've heard while playing a game.CastieI

Chrono Cross probably has my second favorite OST.

ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ShadowJax04
I give you Arcanum, or Arcanum: of Steamworks & Magic Obscuria. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftvpi-6Z6qw When you listen to this and play the game you get a sense of sadness for the decline of what was once a great magical empire but at the same time the irony is that the music is done with industrial instruments to show the climb of the industrial revolution and not with traditional drums, chimes or flutes.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 c_rakestraw  Moderator

I think The Gaping Dragon is the only one I didn't enjoy simply because that particular boss is so easy. Ornstein and Smough have a bombastic song, but it fits because they're such a struggle. 

I get what you're saying, though the stand out tracks for Dark Souls truly stand out.

I do wish I could get my hands on a (not so expensive) copy of the Dark Souls soundtrack. Or at least get a best of Demon's Souls/Dark Souls compilation.

IndianaPwns39

Ornstein and Smough definitely have a good track. Really works well with the tone of the battle and the point of the game.

Same. I would pay good money for the soundtracks.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#31 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

[QUOTE="CastieI"]Chrono Cross: Scars of Time is the best single track I've heard while playing a game.GreySeal9

Chrono Cross probably has my second favorite OST.

Chrono Cross is a definite close second for me,
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 The_Last_Ride
[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]Everything in Final Fantasy X and Mass Effect 3 is awesomeGranny_Spanked
I honestly thought Mass Effect 3's soundtrack was terrible compared to the previous ones, as for my favorites To the moon has great music, Journey, Max Payne 3, and the Batman Arkham games.

i thought the soundtracks were awesome
Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts
[QUOTE="Granny_Spanked"][QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]Everything in Final Fantasy X and Mass Effect 3 is awesomeThe_Last_Ride

They were good. I just liked mass effect and mass effect 2 soundtracks better.
lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#34 lild1425
Member since 2004 • 6757 Posts

Assassin's Creed 2 is bar none my favorite video game soundtrack of all time.

FFX is second. Guild Wars (original) was also fantastic.

SwagKingCole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SwagKingCole
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2 had some of the best music I had ever heard when they came out. They really captured the mood of the game and perfectly matched the scenes in which they were introduced. Main ThemeDomain of the Dragon Beautifully composed and freakishly awesome.
ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ShadowJax04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWBmgMnP-D0 HoMM3 theme for pure brilliance and nostalgia. Still worth playing, though.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 The_Last_Ride
[QUOTE="Granny_Spanked"][QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"][QUOTE="Granny_Spanked"] I honestly thought Mass Effect 3's soundtrack was terrible compared to the previous ones, as for my favorites To the moon has great music, Journey, Max Payne 3, and the Batman Arkham games.

They were good. I just liked mass effect and mass effect 2 soundtracks better.

fair enough, each have their own opinions :P
TheLoneMortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TheLoneMortal
Member since 2011 • 135 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWBmgMnP-D0 HoMM3 theme for pure brilliance and nostalgia. Still worth playing, though. ShadowJax04
Just started this game almost a month ago, love it so far. There is definitely a certain charm the opening theme has. My favorite track from the game is Rampart Town, a very soothing song.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Another similar thread? Let me listen to the only game soundtrack I ever listen to.....

Hell March

I love it.

ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ShadowJax04

Another similar thread? Let me listen to the only game soundtrack I ever listen to.....

Hell March

I love it.

jun_aka_pekto
That one always gets brought up when people talk about video game music. It is very iconic too. Personally I like the Red Alert 2 version better.
lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#41 lild1425
Member since 2004 • 6757 Posts

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

Hell March

I love it.

ShadowJax04

That one always gets brought up when people talk about video game music. It is very iconic too. Personally I like the Red Alert 2 version better.

Red Alert 2....the good old days.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

There is just so much good gaming music, I'm always tempted to post at least 3 dozen OST's even to games I've never played...

For contributions though I'll just throw out two themes played in Red Dead Redemption that is Far Away (To Mexico) and Compass (Going back home)