GOW Judgment! Thoughts, Impressions?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

So I've seen that no one has posted a GOW Judgment thread.

I've been playing this game since I got it today and I have to say it, it's really a lot of fun. It's more hectic and intense than the previous Gears games.

In previous Gears game, you mainly stuck behind cover and shoot until all the enemies were dead or had to melee if they got close. Here, in Judgment, the enemies appear a lot more, thus leaving you no choice but to be mobile and on your feet all the time. For me, combat is a lot more close and personal than it is having to camp out and snipe people (which is a tactic I loathe when it is used in other games like COD).

So far, the main campaign is great to go through. Going through Sofia's testimony now and I like how you earn more in the guise of star rankings. The more you kill, the more it increases, not to mention getting the declassified missions done as well. I won't spoil what they are, but needless to say, it's also very chaotic!

Survival mode is pretty much a beefed up version of Horde mode, just more intense. I liked having to switch classes and kill while employing different types of grenades to seek out enemies or to heal my comrades during battle. It's pretty fun!

What about you guys? Have any of you played Judgment and if so, any thoughts or impressions?

23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

God of War Judgement? huh?

GeoW

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Played the multiplayer demo, I had a ton of fun, but only because it's the most unbalanced game I've ever seen: two classes have unlimited grenades, in my second match I scored a 12 kills streak just by using the human soldier's infinite grenade launcher that fires 3 grenades in rapid fire. Multikill galore.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44332 Posts
Nice impressions. I love the Gears games so I'm very pumped to get this next week. :D
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Watched the first hour oh so, it looks like a lot of fun. There are little pauses in the story where you can take on additional challenges (they weren't regular tickers, they were glowing explosive ones) to earn stars, up to three stars per mission. Hit 40 and you unlock another campaign called "Aftermath" the gameplay was standard gears but the story thing is a really fun idea and seems to add a lot to the game. Seems like a good time, I'll be playing it soon I think.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

look forward to this game.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Black_Knight_00

I played more of it and I can't for the life of me figure out what they were thinking when they made grenades infinite and gave them a cooldown timer: the locust grenadier can chuck a high-explosive grenade every 10 seconds and the COG soldier can fire 3 explosives in rapid succession and replenish up to 16 of them every 20 seconds for himself and the teammates with the infinite ammo box. The result is grenade spamming off the scale: just pick soldier, camp by a choke point and bounce grenades behind a corner, pressing LB evey 20 seconds to replenish them: the enemy won't have a chance to advance. It's fun, but I don't think that's what the developers were going for. I smell a nerf patch incoming.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
I played more of it and I can't for the life of me figure out what they were thinking when they made grenades infinite and gave them a cooldown timer: the locust grenadier can chuck a high-explosive grenade every 10 seconds and the COG soldier can fire 3 explosives in rapid succession and replenish up to 16 of them every 20 seconds for himself and the teammates with the infinite ammo box. The result is grenade spamming off the scale: just pick soldier, camp by a choke point and bounce grenades behind a corner, pressing LB evey 20 seconds to replenish them: the enemy won't have a chance to advance. It's fun, but I don't think that's what the developers were going for. I small a nerf patch incoming.Black_Knight_00
That is odd. I'd like to try it before they patch it though.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Metamania

The Overrun mode can be fun, but can also be a major pain to deal with. The AI, especially your teammates, is terrible. They let the little guys, like Tickers, get through easily and they don't rush over to the E-Hole position to kill the enemies until a few seconds or even minutes later. It's so stupid!

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]I played more of it and I can't for the life of me figure out what they were thinking when they made grenades infinite and gave them a cooldown timer: the locust grenadier can chuck a high-explosive grenade every 10 seconds and the COG soldier can fire 3 explosives in rapid succession and replenish up to 16 of them every 20 seconds for himself and the teammates with the infinite ammo box. The result is grenade spamming off the scale: just pick soldier, camp by a choke point and bounce grenades behind a corner, pressing LB evey 20 seconds to replenish them: the enemy won't have a chance to advance. It's fun, but I don't think that's what the developers were going for. I small a nerf patch incoming.Travo_basic
That is odd. I'd like to try it before they patch it though.

The demo is available for download as we speak
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#11 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

I have been playing the demo, since i am waiting on my copy to be delivered in the mail (Amazon hasnt even shipped my game yet!). It is pretty fun, but kind of slower-paced compared to Gears 3 for example. The Roadie run is slower and needs getting used to. I also have to agree with users saying that it is kind of unbalanced as well.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Black_Knight_00
Also, is it me or does the camera during the roadie run shake a lot more than in previous Gears games? I find it almost visually annoying to look at.
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#13 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

Also, is it me or does the camera during the roadie run shake a lot more than in previous Gears games? I find it almost visually annoying to look at.Black_Knight_00

I think it is because it is defintely slower than before, so the camera bobbing is more apparent (it takes longer to get to final destination while road-running).

Baroni88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Baroni88
Member since 2011 • 345 Posts
Love it. Getting used to the new controls but I love the new map structures!
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Love the series but currently am overwhelmed with my backlog of games to play.   I'll either rent this, or get it when the price drops.  Glad to hear you guys are enjoying it though. :)

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]Also, is it me or does the camera during the roadie run shake a lot more than in previous Gears games? I find it almost visually annoying to look at.EvilSelf

I think it is because it is defintely slower than before, so the camera bobbing is more apparent (it takes longer to get to final destination while road-running).

I ran a comparison between Gears 2 footage and judgment footage and yes: the camera shakes about twice as much, also you do move slower
Systems_Id

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Systems_Id
Member since 2002 • 8156 Posts

I think I'm nearly done with the campaign and it's been my favorite Gears campaign by far. Unlike previous Gears games, Judgement is packed to the gills with action and some fantastic encounter design.

I'll try and post some more detailed impressions but this has a good shot of washing the bad taste out of my mouth that Gears 3 left.

Spellingiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Spellingiscool
Member since 2010 • 1450 Posts

God of War Judgement? huh?

GeoW

23Jarek23

Judgement? huh?

Judgment

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

So far, Gears Of War: Judgement feels like Gears Of War 3: Cutting Room Floor.   Which, to be clear isn't a bad thing.   I just wonder if Epic and People Can Fly decided to cruise, cruise, cruise.... because to me. Judgement feels like an expansion to GOW3.   A pretty and polished, but ashamedly lazy entry in the amazing  Gears franchise.

The levels. in single player mode, aren't good - they're simply time and scoring trials that are sup-par to anything Gears 3 didn't sh!t out.  I haven't tried the multiplayer yet but all reviews point to less-than-worthy doo doo.   Damn shame.   Late generation cash-grab manipulating desperate Xbox fans.  Shame on  you, Microsoft, shame on  you.   At least God Of War: Ascension tried new things, even if some of them fell flat on their d!cks.  

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#20 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

I think it looks great. IGN's review is far better than Gamespot's, but then GS are pretty bad when scoring games lately. I'll get it soon.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I'll pick it up down the road when it's cheap. Seems more like a step back for the series, going by the review.

3eyedrazorback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#22 3eyedrazorback
Member since 2005 • 16380 Posts
I was/am not impressed by it. I feel it's just another rehash of what could have been something good.
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Travo_basic
I just started this and loving it so far. It seems much faster pace. A lot of the stronger enemies have already made appearances such as Boomers, a crazy amount for just the first twenty minutes. The game seems much more faster paced and hectic than any of the previous Gears games. It seems less about sticking to cover and more about constantly moving about dodging and shooting. The camera during the roadie run does suck, but the run doesn't seem as slow as what you guys said. The Declassified mission objectives are really cool and challenging at times. I can see them getting very difficult, very soon. Archie, I'm surprised you haven't picked this up yet.
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I've enjoyed it so far. Much more than I expected I would.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Travo_basic
I played a few more hours yesterday and love the intensity of the declassified challenges. This Gears does more with the environment. For example, you have to fight through dense dust that makes it hard to see in front, while Horde member charge you and attack with cleavers. Or maybe in a room full of toxic gas that distorts your view. You also find yourself in a neighborhood full of tripwires and sentinel turrets that attack the enemy and you. The challenges really do add something new. The graphics really show that this gen is becoming long in the tooth. They are mostly unchanged since the first Gears seven years ago. In fact, I made some comparisons and Gears 1 looks slightly better at times. I thought its because Judgment has much more color, but at times it looks like Gears 1 has more shading and textures. Anyway, it's still a lot of great fun, especially if you choose to do the Declassified missions.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Metamania

I played a few more hours yesterday and love the intensity of the declassified challenges. This Gears does more with the environment. For example, you have to fight through dense dust that makes it hard to see in front, while Horde member charge you and attack with cleavers. Or maybe in a room full of toxic gas that distorts your view. You also find yourself in a neighborhood full of tripwires and sentinel turrets that attack the enemy and you. The challenges really do add something new. The graphics really show that this gen is becoming long in the tooth. They are mostly unchanged since the first Gears seven years ago. In fact, I made some comparisons and Gears 1 looks slightly better at times. I thought its because Judgment has much more color, but at times it looks like Gears 1 has more shading and textures. Anyway, it's still a lot of great fun, especially if you choose to do the Declassified missions.Travo_basic

I think it's going to be long, perhaps more difficult to obtain all stars in every Declassified mission on Insane difficulty. I'm sure it can be done, but patience will be key!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44332 Posts
[QUOTE="Travo_basic"]I just started this and loving it so far. It seems much faster pace. A lot of the stronger enemies have already made appearances such as Boomers, a crazy amount for just the first twenty minutes. The game seems much more faster paced and hectic than any of the previous Gears games. It seems less about sticking to cover and more about constantly moving about dodging and shooting. The camera during the roadie run does suck, but the run doesn't seem as slow as what you guys said. The Declassified mission objectives are really cool and challenging at times. I can see them getting very difficult, very soon. Archie, I'm surprised you haven't picked this up yet.

Just waiting until my birthday next week because I'm probably getting this as a gift.
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
I've been a huge Gears fan since the first but I have little to no interest in this. Nothing about seems like any significant change from Gears 3, which is by far the best Gears. Played the MP demo and I thought it was boring as sh!t. Quick weapons switching and quick grenade throw is an obvious "casualization," while not a big change, is still annoying to see. Think I'll pick it up later on the cheap for the campaign but I'll stick to Gears 3 for my multiplayer Gears fix.
immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#29 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

I'm really enjoying it. I love the challenges, adds not only replay but variety and something new.  I swear ever since the first Gears I still smile when I hear "BOOM!". I really like how the game feels faster, switch weapons with Y and sooo much easier and quicker throwing gernades. I have 2 levels left and right now my score is right around 8.5. Sure it's not the 9 I'd give Gears 3 but it's damn fun.

Kornkaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 Kornkaos
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
So far so good... Not sure how I feel about the way the campaign works, in that it splits up large chapters into a bunch of smaller sections for star purposes. As well the story hasn't gone too far in the hour or two that I've played, just kinda flushing out the past. That being said, the Multiplayer is much more my style. Team Deathmatch has been re-worked to work more like a modern shooter. There's no downing period and it's first to 50 which in my opinion was a good move. I will find myself playing it more often because of it. That's probably because I'm not a hardcore gears player so it might be a little different for me... But seeing as I suck nuts at Gears MP, this is a fun way to always be in the action without have to sit around and watch my other team mates. Can't close off my impressions without talking about the colours though. Love the colour pallet... Like Bulletstorm they went for a very saturated look and so a lot of the browns and greys that used to plague the game are now bright and colourful and something about me... I love colours.. I'm kind of sick of seeing the grey dark gritty look.. It's been overdone.. You play a few matches of multiplayer you'll see what I mean.. It looks fantastic.
Saruman1719

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 Saruman1719
Member since 2003 • 12466 Posts
It's ok. Gears is the only game I jump into the multiplayer first and this one is pretty lacking. Overrun is pretty good when you're on the Locust side, otherwise it's pretty boring. No actual Horde mode hurts a lot. I'm not too bad at keeping myself around 1:1 in K/D ratio, but sometimes it's nice to take a break and relax in Horde mode, so it's disappointing. I dislike most of the changes and snobby or not, it has definitely been "casualized" and it turns me off. Not to mention there are only 4 maps currently...4 really? I'm having trouble adjusting if I'm going to be honest. Changing my weapon with the Y button instead of the usual D-pad loadout is just an annoying unnecessary change...like most of the changes. I'm just not into the run and gun Call of Duty style that this MP adopted. I tried out the single player and it's probably better than the campaign in Gears 3 at least. Some tweaks and changes just work better for a campaign that got stale with the previous outing.