Good router for gaming.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GRAW2597

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GRAW2597
Member since 2009 • 73 Posts

I wasn't sure where to post this so hopefully here is fine. Anyway I have been trying to get a good router that will help me have no lag for Xbox LIVE but I have no idea what to get. I have a D-Link wireless N router right now but I don't think it's very good cause it was only about $40. There is another problem... I live in the county, not that far out but far enough for a laggy connection. So if anyone has any ideas for a good router that will reduce lag by a lot that would be great. Price doesn't really matter so if there is a good one that is around $150 or something like that then that would be cool.

cheerio83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 cheerio83
Member since 2009 • 51 Posts

linksys are good

FreshDimSum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FreshDimSum
Member since 2008 • 605 Posts
im using a bilkin n+ router with gigabit ports. i heard that netgear is rly good but never had personal experience with them. my router been good to me so far and its been giving me full speed wired and even though it has a wireless ability as well, i just have that so my friends can use internet on their laptops. retails for 75-120 bucks. i snagged mine for 99. honestly, if ur connection is laggy to begin with, the router isnt going to boost up connection speed. maybe try switching ur isp?
brandontwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 brandontwb
Member since 2008 • 4325 Posts
Linksys WRT54G is an excellent router. Cheap and has been running flawlessly for games for 3 years.
Avatar image for Love_Hina_Lover
Love_Hina_Lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Love_Hina_Lover
Member since 2002 • 4381 Posts

A router is not your main source of lag, devices attached to the router, your isp, and your connection type are. There is no magical router that will fix your lag problems.

First: what type of connection do you have? If it is satelite or something of the sort there is no chance for reduced lag.

Second: What applications are other devices on your network running? If there are computers on the network running p2p applications such as bittorrent, limewire, kazaa, etc these will cause alot of lag, esepicialy when configured incorrectly. You can open ports on the router and configre the bittorrent clients(or other p2p programs) to limit bandwidth/connections to help. I recommended simply turning them off while gaming

Third: if your using the wireless on the router to connect, how far away is it? Wireless is a finnicky thing and you will tend to lose performance exponetially. Try going wired.

Fourth: Try using the quality controls available to your router. You can often use this to set priority to applications or individual computers to allow them to achieve better performance.

Fifth: Open a command prompt(if you dont know how to do this, hold the windows key and hit r, a little box will pop up and type cmd in that box and hit enter) With the cmd window open type "tracert www.google.com". This will allow you to see the path your information takes when communicating with google(you can use any website, not just google). It will also show you where there may be problems in your line. You should see three numbers at the very begining(like 20 ms, 30 ms) for every jump the information takes. This shows you your "lag" or how long the information is taking to travel. If the "lag" is occuring between you and your isp, then you may wan to contact them and ask for a line quality test and may need a technician to come out and perform an assement. If you do not understand how to read the information, send me the results in a pm(do not post them here).

Sixth: Go to www.speedtest.net and run a speed test. Are you achieving the proper speed(within a certain percentage drop). Post your results here and ill help you again with this.

Seventh: Try applying a new firmware(if one is available) to your router. Most routers ship with out of date/bug ridden firmwares that never work. You can do this by going to dlinks site and looking up your model.

Eight: Maybe you just do have a sucky router(highly doubt this, i have a 20$ 5 year old router running 8 machines(have a hub attached to it for additional ports)), and you should buy a new one. My personal preference is to stay as far away from dlink as possible. Linksys has been my personal favourite, anything in their wrt54 line tends to be excellent home user routers. I have the wrt54g2 and have had no problems with it(use it for my main machine, 360, wii, ps3, ds and psp)

GRAW2597

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GRAW2597
Member since 2009 • 73 Posts

Aw shoot I am using a satalite. Oh well, Thanks for trying to help!!