good japanese ps2 games w/ english option

This topic is locked from further discussion.

z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

basically as the title asks, anybody know of any good japanese ps2 games that never made it over to the states, preferable w/ english subtitles (i don't speak japanese) i like strategy/rpg, fighting, action/adventure type stuff. i'd love to hear your suggestions, one i know of already is hokuto no ken (fist of the north star) i don't believe the game plays in english but i'm definately getting it.

willxcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 willxcool
Member since 2006 • 2038 Posts

Odin spear has an option for english or *** or other way around, but what your saying is this Game

FRONT MISSION 5

is japanese in all but easy to understand good strategy and gameplay, you will know pnce you get a hang out of it, well playing front mission 4 which is in english help alot coz there are some things of the game play you can bring to 5

Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Urworstnhtmare
Member since 2008 • 2630 Posts
I could use a game like that. Im currently trying to learn japan, ad if i can combine playing a game while learning ***, that would be fun.
Spacefeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 Spacefeline
Member since 2006 • 241 Posts

I could use a game like that. Im currently trying to learn japan, ad if i can combine playing a game while learning ***, that would be fun.Urworstnhtmare

) Then, what i would advise is to leave the fancy imported Japanese PS2 games alone for the time being and instead to go back to the days of the SNES for educational entertainment.

This is because even PS2 games are unlikely to have any kind of furigana (the pronounciation kanji which are often seen above kanji) but have enough memory to store huge databases of kanji..... whereas with SNES games the writing is typically much more simple with far fewer kanji being used (the basic set of 200 seems to be used over and over again in those days) and a lot of stuff being simplified into hiragana rather than being written as kanji.

:) It can be cool to look at a load of squiggled, decipher "king wants to speak to you, you go North please, evil creature is" and go rushing off merrily swinging your sword/mace/fancy staff in a well-informed manner.

I should do it rather more than I do, since I'm learning Japanese through semi-osmosis (I have an A for GCSE Japanese, but haven't taken more exams since then as I reckon I'm not good enough yet)

Spacefeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Spacefeline
:D Not that I have anything against fancy imported japanese games or anything, but I'm no master of Japanese at this stage, and my PS2 aint chipped (as far as i know, although mysteriously it does play copied DVDs) , and those games are typically pretty expensive and rare, is all. No doubt some of them are pretty good, though.
Spacefeline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Spacefeline

- Potentially confusing typo ! -

(the pronounciation kanji which are often seen above kanji)

was meant to say -
(the pronounciation characters which are often seen above kanji)

joder666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 joder666
Member since 2009 • 105 Posts

Final Fantasy X international

Final Fantasy X-2 international

Both games have the ability to change between english and japanese text and voice, and neither of both arrived to this side of the world.

There're others you can patch\translate, like Front mission 5 or NamcoxCapcom.

JReefer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 JReefer1
Member since 2004 • 898 Posts

basically as the title asks, anybody know of any good japanese ps2 games that never made it over to the states, preferable w/ english subtitles (i don't speak japanese) i like strategy/rpg, fighting, action/adventure type stuff. i'd love to hear your suggestions, one i know of already is hokuto no ken (fist of the north star) i don't believe the game plays in english but i'm definately getting it.

z4twenny
I would love a RPG JP only title that has an English option. The best option for JP only RPG is learning some basic Japanese and playing RPG's from the early 90's when they had simple text.