Getting tired of gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By enz2
Member since 2007 • 1689 Posts

There are times where I go through periods where I'm not interested at all in playing games, but after a couple months, I'm back into them which I'm sure many gamers go through too. But for now, I'm simply not into it anymore. Not sure whether it's this gen. games that bore me and there's nothing new, seems to be all sequels, same gameplay etc., or I'm just over the whole thing.

Next gen. doesn't interest me whatsoever, nothing about it is appealing, so maybe it's time to give up the controller or go back to the retro days where games were actually fun. Maybe it'll inspire me to keep gaming.

Has anyone gone through this or simply have no interest to play games anymore? What made you get back into gaming?

Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 Yoshi9000
Member since 2010 • 479 Posts

Not tired of gaming as a whole, but I did get tired of online multiplayer, particularly shooters. I did some research on the best single player games, or underrated games people consider overlooked gems, and after that I enjoyed gaming again. What kinds of games do you play? Have you ever thought of trying new genres?

enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 enz2

Yeah, I gave FPSs a shot, which was good, such the likes Vanquish and Bioshock. They were good, but then there on after it all felt the same. Casually I'm into JRPGs and adventure. I've never liked wrpgs, but I guess i could try that genre again that I may have a different point of view than before.

cooolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 cooolio
Member since 2013 • 586 Posts

I know what you mean. When I do play most games it feels like I am doing just for the sake of playing it as oppose to actually enjoying the game. I think that my standards might be too high or only certain games appeal to me.

During this whole generation, I can only think of 3 games that have really appealed to me. I also understand how gameplay can seem the same, and in some ways all games of a specific genre have the same concept, but the execution makes all the difference.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9859 Posts

Know what you mean, also feel fed up with gaming at times (like now lol). The good thing though is that gaming isn't important like for example exercise, school or friends etc. So when you feel tired of it you can just take a break for months-years, gaming will always be here when you feel like it again :).

t1striker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By t1striker
Member since 2003 • 1549 Posts

I've gotten quite sick of Shooters especially FPS's, but I still love me a good J-rpg, W-rpg, and Strategy game. I'll also take any good action-adventure type game(for example MGS, Legend of Zelda, Beyond good and evil(man I want a sequel)).

Were in a generation where developers don't want people to think(to appeal to the lowest common denominator), so all the games are much simpler, and require little thought process.

I've found this gen to be quite sub par compared to previous gens.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#7  Edited By ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

Gamers malaise strikes us all from time to time. When I was going through my divorce I all but abandoned gaming as a hobby for the better part of 2 years. Then the SEGA Dreamcast came out and I was right back on board.

There is a myriad of hobbies one can engage in. And no one should spend all of their time only doing one thing. Not that I'm suggesting you only partake of one hobby. I mean I don't know you from Adam. But if you want a recommendation, I'd say if the hobby isn't offering your thrills right now then maybe get some space from it for a while. Buy a few books or get caught up on a television series you may have missed? Take up golf? If there is one thing modern society is good at, it's finding ways to amuse ourselves. Try out something else for a while, and then when you are in the mood for gaming again it'll feel all the more fresh.

Good luck either way. :)

EnderX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By EnderX
Member since 2013 • 42 Posts

Play less games. Take breaks.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#9 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I've had periods where I wasn't really interested in gaming. But now with the XBox One less than a month away, I'm excited. Assassin's Creed IV, Ryse: Son of Rome, Battlefield 4, Call of Duty: Ghosts, and Forza Motorsport 5 on launch day! Yeah!

dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

I think that's completely normal. I think it's healthy to take breaks. When Dreamcast died I didn't want to play games at all until a year after the original Xbox launched. These days I'll have some days where I only want to do light grinding for an hour or so, cause mentally it's a bit more routine.

I really have no intention of playing professionally or attempting to play professionally, neither am I capable or interested of slamming on the gas pedal and keeping it there, so when I feel mentally drained I take breaks. If anything, you'll be gaming for a longer period of time by taking breaks. A lot of the devout WoW and Starcraft and Counter-Strike players I knew that did nothing but play over 10+ hours a day are no longer interested in games anymore like a bunch of burnouts. Don't fly too high Icarus :)

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'm not tired of gaming I don't have much time in the day to play anymore what I can play is refreshing and appreciated.

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

I'm not tired or sick of gaming, theres plenty of great games out there to play, but I'm usually too busy to play games these days.

PinchySkree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13  Edited By PinchySkree
Member since 2012 • 1342 Posts

The last two years have been a struggle to find anything that lasts more than a week.

I'm playing old games because nothing new is worth it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I'm getting tired of life getting in the way of gaming. I wish I could go back to the point where I had no other cares in the world and could devote all my time to getting bored playing hundreds of hours of games a month.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#15 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

it happens sometimes, just watch tv, go outside, meet friends and just do other stuff

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#16 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

Gaming is a hobby, I treat it as such. The amount of fun I garner from games, vastly exceeds the investment(s), it's worth it to me to continue. If you think the cost is too high, I suggest taking an indefinite hiatus. Games will always be around. If you are good sticking with retro titles, you wont be alone. Good luck.

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#17 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33351 Posts

This happens to me from time to time, but doesn't last very long.

Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

a healthy balance is what you need. the funnest thing in the world can become a chore if you do it too much.

BigCat2K20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#19  Edited By BigCat2K20
Member since 2004 • 426 Posts

@enz2 said:

There are times where I go through periods where I'm not interested at all in playing games, but after a couple months, I'm back into them which I'm sure many gamers go through too. But for now, I'm simply not into it anymore. Not sure whether it's this gen. games that bore me and there's nothing new, seems to be all sequels, same gameplay etc., or I'm just over the whole thing.

Next gen. doesn't interest me whatsoever, nothing about it is appealing, so maybe it's time to give up the controller or go back to the retro days where games were actually fun. Maybe it'll inspire me to keep gaming.

Has anyone gone through this or simply have no interest to play games anymore? What made you get back into gaming?

I'm sure that some people have went through that gaming dry spell. I went through that as well & doing outdoor activities did help alot. Playing demos, older games & BF4 beta got me back into gaming (not playing as much as I want to these days). As for next generation (8th), I'll wait for at least 2 or 3 years before buying PS4. Don't hang up the controller just yet, man.

enz2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 enz2

Yeah, that's true. This has been the longest without any interest so there's no rush into things. Maybe I'll go back to retro when I feel it's that time to play games again.

NightlyOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NightlyOne
Member since 2009 • 331 Posts

I go through gaming ups and downs as well, and I know I've hit a down whenever I feel that I'm practically forcing myself to play something. As a result, I try to pace myself by limiting my playtime to 2-3 hours at a time, and it helps to have other things to do to break the monotony whenever game-boredom does kick in (I like to play guitar/keyboard on the side).

Sometimes I burn out playing games, but I never tire of watching others. With that said, I find that hopping over to TwitchTV helps me (in a sense). It's fun watching others take a swing at games, and watching people on Twitch have fun with their games will sometimes give me the push I need to pick up the controller again.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

While the usual gaming fatigue does happen, i suspect that you are not diversifying your taste TC. I noticed i had a shooter fatigue this year where i did not want to touch anything involving shooting, which i did for the most part and i am glad i did

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

Yes. Games are always the same nowadays and there is very little improvement. I see sequels after sequels and no new IPs at all.

coold_steam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#24  Edited By coold_steam
Member since 2007 • 670 Posts

Well i went through the same thing, so i had to do something interesting that will bring me back to gaming. i switched from consuls to Pc and im now back.

Supabul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 Supabul
Member since 2004 • 4266 Posts

I get like that, I think its a lack of variety in my gaming thats gets me like that, I suppose thats why I've been playing Magic the Gathering more than anything else at the moment, its different from what I normal play and I'm getting addicted to it

mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#26 mjf249
Member since 2004 • 3000 Posts

Yeah I took a break for a few years. Started playing again in 2011-2012.