Games that scare the bejesus out of you

This topic is locked from further discussion.

demoneyes4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 demoneyes4
Member since 2004 • 33 Posts

So I just got my hands on a copy of Silent Hill 2 Restless Dreams for the original XBox and even though I have played this game through a few times it still gives me the creeps. So this got me thinking of games that have given me the heebie jeebies over the years and why. I will start off with a few of my favorites and recommendations. First of course there is Silent Hill 2. This was/is an incredible game with its sense of total and utter aloneness and the foreboding feeling that it gives the player. On my first playthrough I was wandering around town trying to find out where to go with nothing but the wind howling around me and I always had the uneasy feeling that there was something right outside of my view. Silent Hill 3 is another great one. While I have not been able to finish Silent Hill 3 on account of sony making the absolutely brilliant desicion to disable the ps2 reverse capability from what I did play, it had the same fears the second one had plus something even more sinister that I can't quite put my finger on. Now going back to before some of you guys were born The 7th Guest gave me goosebumps the entire time I was playing this game. There is something about a haunted house that I just love to explore, the random woman in white that appears in hallways, the music and the dark claustrophobic house full of dolls all created an unsettling setting for a great little story about an evil toy maker and his haunted house. Finally Amnesia the dark descent. HOLY F@#K this game by far takes the cake of games that scare the s#it out of me. Now I ain't 'fraid of no ghost but this game is unbelievably frightning. I have play it with headphones on and lights off for the most immersion that I can get and I feel like there is something chasing me even after I have left the game. When the lights go out in game and the growls of some thing are coming in from the just behind me its all I can do to keep my composure. Now that I have shared some of what I think are some of the more frightening games the horror genre have to offer, what about you guys?

LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

Condemned almost made me soil my shorts. And Amnesia: The Dark Decent; f*** that game.

EDIT: And Techno Kitty Adventures

Abigorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 Abigorus
Member since 2006 • 877 Posts

Amnesia for me. I just picked up Penumbra from steam, let's see how that goes now.

LankyKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LankyKong
Member since 2011 • 2678 Posts

Resident Evil Remake remake was kinda scary the first time I played it.

Games don't scare me anymore though. :P

KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts

Clock Tower and Harvester are absolutely terrifying.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I haven't played any games that scared me... Guess I'll have to check out some of the games mentioned in this thread.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Condemned almost made me soil my shorts. And Amnesia: The Dark Decent; f*** that game.

EDIT: And Techno Kitty Adventures

LikeHaterade
Lol'ed @ Amnesia comment. Yeah, that game had some freaky parts. Awesome game. :)
jubino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 jubino
Member since 2005 • 6265 Posts

I'm too much of a pansy to play scary games without the volume down and the lights on, so really just a few random moments in FEAR 2 with Alma randomly popping up.

Kaarosu_318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kaarosu_318
Member since 2011 • 28 Posts

I'm not really in to horror games but Bioshock was the first horror game that I finished. I had to play some loud music so I don't soil my pants.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#10 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Some of the Resident Evil games easily scared me. The last recent game that scared the crap out of me multiple times were the Left 4 Dead games. Those attacks from a few specific zombies came in hard and fast, not expecting it whatsoever.

GAMESHARQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GAMESHARQ
Member since 2008 • 5988 Posts
No game has ever scared the bejesus out of me, but Bioshock was pretty creepy.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Playing Amnesia at 4 am with all the lights offand headphones on is a very unnerving experience. And they aren't jump scares. Its actually a fear of dread and terror

xdeathpandax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 xdeathpandax
Member since 2010 • 170 Posts

I enjoy horror but I hate it when there is a lot of suspense. Zombie shooters for example are fine because there is so much action but things like Fatal Frame I cannot do unless I had music blasting out in the same room and the lights on xD

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Condemned : Criminal Origins Amnesia : The Dark Descent Penumbra series Resident Evil Remake F.E.A.R. with F.E.A.R. Extraction point played right afterwards scared me several times.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I enjoy horror but I hate it when there is a lot of suspense. Zombie shooters for example are fine because there is so much action but things like Fatal Frame I cannot do unless I had music blasting out in the same room and the lights on xD

xdeathpandax

So you get scared easily? I always want to play them and get scared as much as I can because they're just not fun otherwise. The idea of a scary game is just that, its to scare you. But I would hate to play amnesia during the day or anything just so I can say that I played it and finished it. I want to experience it to its full potential. Games like FEAR and dead space don't scare me no matter what environment im in so I play them at any time

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

didn't need to write all that because i assure you know one is going to read it all, anyway siren blood curse is a game that i can't play, looks scary and creepy. Though i really like the story behind it