Games that are fun to rip on and why?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DrTheme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DrTheme
Member since 2012 • 32 Posts

Most of us here are gunna bounce up and down and put your hands up an say call of duty or halo, which is fine most of us that do rip quite usually got know clue where talking about, its just common reasons such as "its a clone" or "its for kids" but lets be straight for a second, lets lay down some proper reasoning as to why we hate on some games.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#2 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I enjoyed Black Ops 2, but for the last few years I was largely anti-Call of Duty even though I thought they were fine, well made games.

The reason I disliked Call of Duty wasn't because it was popular or anything, I disliked it because I felt the developers weren't doing anything with that popularity. CoD4 came out and with it, it brought a lot of imitators using similar unlock systems, killstreak rewards, and the same, but the system was far from perfect. Instead of tweaking it and dealing with the complaints, the series just caked "more of the same" onto the franchise. Yeah, Modern Warfare 2 brought in Spec Ops which was a fun time killer, but really where did the series go? More unlocks, more killstreaks, more silly challenges and all it equaled was chaos in an uncontrolled form.

The problem really came from games trying to steal a piece of this success. It was bad enough that Call of Duty was on cruise control and nothing was really changing, but other shooters began following suit. Every FPS around had to have a multiplayer mode attached for some reason, and even if they were good none of them really possessed what Call of Duty players were looking for resulting in short lived communities. Really, what was the point of Crysis 2, Bioshock 2, The Darkness, or Singularity being forced to have these multiplayer modes with instantly dead communties?

Even games that were still excellent alongside CoD's insane multiplayer fanbase changed just to compete. Battlefield: Bad Company 2 was balanced very well comparatively, but there was a large outcry against the game not featuring that many unlocks as the competition. Thus, Battlefield 3 was born, and here, Dice added too many unlocks that are RPG grind worthy to gain, regardless of how useless. You can't even deny the impact CoD had on the competition when games such as Battlefield, a huge franchise with a dedicated fanbase, had the tagline "Far and above the Call".

But mostly, it was the fact the leader of the pack wasn't doing anything to really improve. The FPS genre became stagnant for years as we had copycat after copycat. Finally, Black Ops 2 came around and added League Play, which was a great addition largely overlooked but important as it basically takes everything that made CoD so addictive (the stream of unlocks) and turns it on it's head by saying "you get everything, go try and win and not bother with anything else" making the game feel fresh as gamers join with a competitive attitude instead of a "I really need to kill 4 guys at once with a grenade to get a title" attitude. It also pushed for a better story and offering more options for those not interested in the multiplayer with an expanded zombies as well. It still has a slew of problems, but at least it's trying.

C2N2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 C2N2
Member since 2012 • 759 Posts

I hate on Japanese games because the stories are so convoluted and targeted so heavily at their own Japanese market. To the point where I don't understand why Americans and Europeans go so far out of the way to find appeal in them.

MGS4, for example... Gets an abundance of praise... When I played through and beat it I saw it like this:

Old guy, robotic suit that makes him able to do what he does, I am now fighting a 20 year old girl in a latex suit, I am now on a C-130 with a 10 year old girl making eggs, I am now fighting robots, I am now fighting another 20 year old girl in a latex suit, I am now looking at a doctor who has her shirt unbuttoned almost to the bottom and no undershirt, I am now talking with a guy wearing high heels that have swords attached to them, I am now fighting a guy who walks around a tundra with no shirt on, I am now fighting another 20 year old girl in a latex suit, I am now talking with the captain of a Battleship who is a 20 year old girl, I am now a half naked old man fighting another old man.

The whole time I was just like "wtf is this?"

I can understand it appealing to a Japanese base as their society is filled with such things... But to a western audience I don't see how they find appeal unless, like I said, they are weaboos who go out of their way to praise and worship Japanese everything.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#4 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Red Dead Redemption. I don't hate the game. I tought it was good, actualy. But that's just it. I thought it was merely good. I hear people all the time say it's one of the best games ever made, and I can't fathom as to why. Plus it's always fun to see butthurt responses.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Any game that gets undue praise and has a zealous fan base is always fun to rip on due to the reaction you'd get.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44456 Posts
There's no game that I think is "fun" to rip on. Sure there's games I don't care for due to various reasons but I don't see how it would be "fun" to rip on them.
Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#7 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

There's no game that I think is "fun" to rip on. Sure there's games I don't care for due to various reasons but I don't see how it would be "fun" to rip on them.Archangel3371

Agreed.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I hate on Japanese games because the stories are so convoluted and targeted so heavily at their own Japanese market. To the point where I don't understand why Americans and Europeans go so far out of the way to find appeal in them.

MGS4, for example... Gets an abundance of praise... When I played through and beat it I saw it like this:

Old guy, robotic suit that makes him able to do what he does, I am now fighting a 20 year old girl in a latex suit, I am now on a C-130 with a 10 year old girl making eggs, I am now fighting robots, I am now fighting another 20 year old girl in a latex suit, I am now looking at a doctor who has her shirt unbuttoned almost to the bottom and no undershirt, I am now talking with a guy wearing high heels that have swords attached to them, I am now fighting a guy who walks around a tundra with no shirt on, I am now fighting another 20 year old girl in a latex suit, I am now talking with the captain of a Battleship who is a 20 year old girl, I am now a half naked old man fighting another old man.

The whole time I was just like "wtf is this?"

I can understand it appealing to a Japanese base as their society is filled with such things... But to a western audience I don't see how they find appeal unless, like I said, they are weaboos who go out of their way to praise and worship Japanese everything.

C2N2

Seriously? You can't understand why someone would enjoy things from another culture instead of using a derogatory thoughts on who they might be?

I'm an American and most of my favorite titles originate from Japan because I appreciate their culture and the solid gameplay usually present with each iteration. In fact, I dislike it when Japanese companies attempt to Westernize their franchises to make a buck and ruin otherwise great games (see: Resident Evil)

I wish more cultures were prevelant in making games to see what else the world has to offer. Really, we have food, music, literature, and everything else from around the world but when it comes to games it's usually just straight down the middle "Japanese or Western" which is too bad.

ESPM400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 ESPM400
Member since 2011 • 96 Posts
The reason I'll rip on a game is mainly (as I've said here a few times now) a failure to innovate. Don't get me wrong, I played a ton of CoD4, CoD:WaW, and Cod:MW2, but I bought MW3, played the single player campaign and haven't touched it since. Seven or eight hours of gameplay is not worth $60, and when add in the fact that I could have gotten most of the experience of it by watching a walkthrough on youtube (what I did with BlOps2). A week after I bought MW3 I was actually pissed off at myself for purchasing it. So the single player may advance the storyline, but that usually accounts for maybe what, one percent of your playtime in a shooter? After that you have multiplayer which has gone downhill since MW2, so what's the bloody point? Another one is Nintendo, yes the whole damned company. Mario and Zelda are 30 frigging year old franchises, please let them die. Graphical updates and gimmicky gameplay elements do not a good game make. Mario WiiU, or whatever the hell it's called (can't be bothered to look), might as well be SMB64 with a fresh coat of paint, and Zelda has done the same damn thing. Same game, changed a couple minor mechanics, updated the graphics, and there you have it; a teat that the sheep of a fanbase will suckle on. Will someone please take Nintendo out behind the shed and put it out of it's misery...
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I'm not one to rip on games too much, but I will admit that the Dynasty Warrior series is ripe for it. Stale, little to no innovation, and more sequels and spinoffs than a Call of Duty game. Plus the games have never been more than mediocre at best, which makes their popularity absolutely baffling.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I used to make fun of console shooters and bro gamers in general but it was stupid. Who are we to judge what other people enjoy?

taiwwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 taiwwa
Member since 2012 • 301 Posts

Dragon Age Origins.

Everything about that game is like from the certain type of hyper-PC reddit poster.

I think that the gameplay is lousy. The overarching plot is stupid. Some of the character interactions are amusing.

The sequel is better. Yes, it isn't popular, but the gameplay is better and the writing is more mature and intelligent in the 2nd dragon age.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#13 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
I played this crappy game called Heavy fire: Afghanistan and had quite a fun time writing a negative review for it. It's a game you know is going to be bad and all, I was just really bored I guess and wanted some quick trophies...
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#14 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
i like to hate on FIFA because it has become so generic. It was a great game 5 years ago or so, but has just become bad all around. It's as bad if not worse than COD
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

It's wack seeing multiplayer tacked on to games meant to be single player.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#16 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

It's wack seeing multiplayer tacked on to games meant to be single player.

HipHopBeats
that's a good one :D
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17685 Posts

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]There's no game that I think is "fun" to rip on. Sure there's games I don't care for due to various reasons but I don't see how it would be "fun" to rip on them.Lucky_Krystal

Agreed.

Nothing wrong with a good roast once in a while.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lucky_Krystal

[QUOTE="Lucky_Krystal"]

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]There's no game that I think is "fun" to rip on. Sure there's games I don't care for due to various reasons but I don't see how it would be "fun" to rip on them.MirkoS77

Agreed.

Nothing wrong with a good roast once in a while.

Well it's not my thing. I'll poke a little fun at games I do like that aren't really that good in some ways. Or mention that I don't care for a certain game or genre. But other than that, I don't really see any reason to go on a full on hate rant for games I don't like. Especially if a good number of people genuinly enjoy the game. I don't like giving attention to games I don't like. I'd rather focus on games I do like. Also I have no interest in starting or taking part in useless internet arguments that consist of two people waving around their e-peen and beating their chests (which is usually where "bashing" and "ripping" leads to in my experience).

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17685 Posts

Well it's not my thing. I'll poke a little fun at games I do like that aren't really that good in some ways. Or mention that I don't care for a certain game or genre. But other than that, I don't really see any reason to go on a full on hate rant for games I don't like. Especially if a good number of people genuinly enjoy the game. I don't like giving attention to games I don't like. I'd rather focus on games I do like. Also I have no interest in starting or taking part in useless internet arguments that consist of two people waving around their e-peen and beating their chests (which is usually where "bashing" and "ripping" leads to in my experience).

Lucky_Krystal

Yea I agree. If it's taken seriously it's ridiculous (SW is a haven for it), but what I meant was good-hearted, well intentioned ripping. I've gotten into trashing some of my favorite games with others just for laughs. But it's all in good humor.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lucky_Krystal

Yea I agree. If it's taken seriously it's ridiculous (SW is a haven for it), but what I meant was good-hearted, well intentioned ripping. I've gotten into trashing some of my favorite games with others just for laughs. But it's all in good humor.

MirkoS77

Ah. Well if you put it like that then yeah, there's nothing wrong with some funny, light hearted ripping. I've done that quite a few times myself :P

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#21 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
WarZ - They copied the name, TOU, images, gameplay etc etc from other games and their developer blames customers for reading wrong when they flat out lied. There is so much to the WarZ story and its hilarious. The game sucks too.. pay for the game, then spend real money to buy weapons in game because you wont actually find any in game.. then when your character spawns in the middle of zombies or other players and dies, you lose those weapons you just bought. Then there is the hacking, taking fall damage for sliding down a 1inch slope, zombies bugging out etc.. oh and the dev is the same that made Big Rigs.. the whole this is awesomely hilarious.
dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
Currently WarZ.