Game soundtracks, what is your favorite

This topic is locked from further discussion.

demoneyes4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 demoneyes4
Member since 2004 • 33 Posts
So I was just sitting here doing some research for one of my classes listening to my iTunes on shuffle and then The 7th Guest soundtrack popped up and started playing. I stopped what I was doing and then thought this is an excellent soundtrack. Which leads me to ask: Favorite game soundtrack, what's yours? One of mine is obviously the 7th guest, but also the silent hill 3 soundtrack is incredible. so discuss among yourselves what is your favorite soundtrack to a game and does the soundtrack effect the quality of a game.
Myviewing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#2 Myviewing
Member since 2006 • 539 Posts

Well quite obviously the soundtrackcan be an importantpart of a game, but only if it manages to fit with the setting that it's in. If executed well enough, it can make for a great setting.

My favorites:

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (PS)- Favorite song is Luna's intro theme, it still makes me feel happy whenever I hear it. The rest of the songs are alsouplifting and great to hear.

Legend of Dragoon (PS)- Songs may not betoo memorable, but they very well fit the scenary for every situation and the credits song makes the game well worth playing.

Final Fantasy VII (PS)- (You could tell this was coming) The music just has that classic feel to it that makes it worth hearing as well as the memorable One Winged Angel song.

Star Fox: Assault (GC)- It has a neat remix to the original themesong on the N64 and a lot of good music that's fun to listen to as well.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
I have several. -The greatest game of all time (They fit the mood rather nicely, and the Hyperspace theme is rather catchy. On an interesting note, this game's soundtrack consists of submissions to a contest held by the developers for cash prizes. Guess which one won the grand prize?) -Rocket Jockey (Something just gets you pumped with some surf guitar going into your ears as you're dragging around other jockeys mercilessly, slamming them into walls and bombs and stuff, and tying them to other people, pylons, or whatnot.) -Outcast (The music has this nice, majestic feel to it...until you get into a combat situation, where the tune changes accordingly. It's all orchestrated goodness.) -Streets of Rage 1 and 2 (I'm quite thankful that there's a Sound Test option in these games from the get-go, as it won't be uncommon for me just to fire it up, go to the options, and listen to some of the tunes for a bit before beating up baddies.) -*insert random JRPG here* (Seriously, I find JRPGs in general to have addictive soundtracks for some reason.)
fathoms_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 fathoms_basic
Member since 2002 • 22116 Posts

Original:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
Final Fantasy VII

Licensed:

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2

Avatar image for SuperSonicKirby
SuperSonicKirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 SuperSonicKirby
Member since 2004 • 2213 Posts
It honestly depends on the situation, if you were to ask me the best soundtrack with an action-type feel, I'd have to either choose Metal Gear Solid 3 or Ace Combat 5. In terms of instating an epic feel, I'd personally go with Final Fantasy XII. For fighting games, Guilty Gear X2 would be my favorite. The list for me can go on and on.
Shyn_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shyn_1
Member since 2003 • 471 Posts

My favorites will have to be

Super Mario Bros. 3

Sonic 2

Mario 64

The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

GTA: Vice City soundtrack is my favorite, but that's all licensed music.

I agree that Silent Hill 3's soundtrack is good.

the_mad_madman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 the_mad_madman
Member since 2004 • 316 Posts

I'm rather fond of the Planescape: Torment soundtrack. It's interesting, because if you listen carefully, almost every song is actually a variation of the main theme that's altered to fit the character or location it's assigned to. Some, like Deionnara's, are sad because the character is tragic, while others, like Ignus, are a much more... err, fiery, to listen to. Appropriate considering Ignus is a living conduit for the elemental plane of fire and completely and utterly insane. Yet despite being almost entierly different in mood and tone, it's still the same underlying song. Very clever.

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time also has a fun soundtrack. Nothing super special about it, but it is fun to listen to and an interesting blend of western and middle-eastern music types.

EmptySki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 EmptySki
Member since 2004 • 3743 Posts

Original:

Silent Hill games

Castlevania SOTN

Licensed:

Guitar Hero I and II

and MVP baseball games.

dchan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 dchan01
Member since 2002 • 2768 Posts

Star Control II
Streets of Rage 2
Skies of Arcadia

Abby88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 Abby88
Member since 2004 • 642 Posts
There's a lot of game soundtracks I love, but I think my favorites are Xenogears, Chrono Cross, and Symphony of the Night.
zero030

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 zero030
Member since 2007 • 814 Posts
I love the synthesiser music from manhunt. yet I cant find an mp3 of it anywhere on the internet, and there is only 1000 copies of a cd version.
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 wemhim
Member since 2005 • 16110 Posts

Original:

MGS2

MGS1

MGS3

MG and MG 2 are okay

Earthbound is awesome

Manhunt had awesome synth music, John Carptenter style

Resident Evils

Snatcher

Killer 7

Hitman Blood Money

Silent Hills

Splinter Cell: Choas Theory

Licensed:

Grand theft Auto Vice City

Vice City Stories

San Andreas

The Warriors(Not the lyical stuff, well, Joe Walsh is cool, but the original Warriors tracks by Barry DeVarzon for the movie)

Guitar Hero 1 and 2

creepy_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 creepy_mike
Member since 2007 • 1092 Posts

I own several OSTs, and there are probably close to a hundred games that have 1 or 2 very memorable tracks, but few could ever hope to be as epic or consistently good IMHO as the following...

• Final Fantaxy VII - Nobuo Uematsu
  • Final Fantasy VIII - Nobuo Uematsu
  • Final Fantasy Tactics - Hitoshi Sakimoto and Masaharu Iwata
  • Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time - Koji Kondo
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - Koji Kondo
  • Parappa the Rapper - Masaya Matsuura
  • Um Jammer Lammy - Masaya Matsuura
  • Biohazard (Resident Evil) 4 - Misao Senbongi and Shusaku Ushiyama
  • Earthworm Jim - Tommy Tallarico
  • Earthworm Jim 2 - Tommy Tallarico

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#15 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts
Panzer Dragoon Saga had a great soundtrack.