Franchises that you used to hype for but now simply can't even force smile anymore?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ThatsNotMyName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ThatsNotMyName
Member since 2015 • 84 Posts

So we all had that game we fell in love, then like school cheerleaders cheered and cried each time there is new games of that franchise.....however thing is as time and time went and as new and new game of that franchise came your love for it suddenly kinda vanished and you first found yourself in position of not being so hyped anymore, then later kinda stopping to care, then you seriously stop to care and in end each news about "New game of that franchise" is making you sick.

So which franchise was it for you? Not that you hate it, just....want it to stop pretty much because you want break for them and most likely just wish something new came out already. For me it is pretty much:

• Assassin's Creed
  • Final Fantasy
  • Tomb Raider
  • Far Cry
  • Dynasty Warriors
  • GTA
DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56237 Posts

I sometimes had that feeling, it's a hit or miss when it comes to good franchise games that always ask you, what happen to that smile I always see when my favorite game is getting a new release. But anyways, here's my list:

• Assassin's Creed-love the first one but the second AC was really fun, 3rd was letdown and more the same, Black Flag was awesome but I couldn't bring myself to play anymore AC games and it was tiresome.
  • Call of Duty-I love FPS games but WW2 is what made this franchise as to what it is but after Modern Warfare 2, the series left me unsmiling.
  • Sonic the Hedgehog-after Dreamcast die, Sonic series left me for good
  • Pokemon-been playing Pokemon for decades but this series is starting to not change for the better and just more the same but I'm still playing Y version but I may end up retiring this series.
  • Halo-when Bungie left, the series left me unsmiling.
  • Gears of War-same above for Halo.
  • Killzone-this series is just lackluster
  • God of War-should have ended with GoW3.
  • Mario-Hit or miss, I just can't get myself to be exicted for another Mario game since Mario 64.
  • Mortal Kombat-One of my favorite fighting games but once the whole DLC crap came into the fray, this series couldn't get me to buy any MK games, I just couldn't push myself all in for MKX but when I heard Mortal Kombat XL was coming with all DLC, I just couldn't get myself smiling.
thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

Street fighter 5 - I'm still trying to master sf4!

Mortal kombat X - After mk9 I kind of feel like I'm done.

Tomb raider - Lost interest after the tedious tr2013.

Wolfenstein - Not that keen after the somewhat "meh" tno.

Deus ex - People who are sayin' that hr was a great game are just flat out WRONG!

Far cry - Gimme a break - fc3 was a boring mess!

spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts

Gears of War - I bought my 360 the day the original Gears game out. It was the first truly "next gen" game at the time, and I loved it. I played it exclusively for around 2 years (well, I say exclusively, I did stop for a short time to play the first Mass Effect). It was everything I wanted in a multiplayer shooter.

When Gears 2 came out, I liked it, but it disappointed me with how much easier the game felt, and I started to expand my library of games, though it still felt enough like Gears for it to be my go to game (to the point that I got the full 2000GS for it).

Gears 3 disappointed me even more so, they forced in weapons and abilities to make the game easier. They added, and focused on, re-spawning gametypes like TDM, effectively killing the 1-life gamemodes a lot of the fanbase originally fell in love with. The game required no effort anymore, and you couldn't even think "well I'll ignore the modes I don't like and just stick to the 1-life gamemodes", because the respawn matches cannibalized them to the point you could almost never find a full match.

Judgment, don't even get me started. That game was nothing more than a 3rd person CoD, with a Gears skin. They even took out Locust from multiplayer... What where they thinking?

Finally we come to Gears 1's Ultimate Edition. The one game that I thought could hopefully bring back those memories of the original. But no, instead they had to "improve" it, with respawn gametypes, once again killing the 1-life modes. But, even more so than that it just didn't feel like Gears. Less so than any other title (except Judgment). I could see the Gears 1 skin, but I couldn't feel Gears. Even Gears 3, despite my distaste for the game, still had something their that made me think, OK, it's still Gears, but this. I never got it from this, which is incredibly depressing when it's supposed to be just an enhanced version of the first game.

I have absolutely no faith in The Coalition after Gears 1 UE. I mean, at least when 343i remastered Halo 1, and Halo 2 in the MCC, they still felt like those games, you still got the same feeling you had playing them the first time. If The Coalition can't even get a remaster of the original game to feel like Gears, what chance do any future titles have? Honestly, at this point I'm only interested to see Gears 4 at at E3 this year, just so I can see how badly they're going to butcher this series.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

I could say Metroid but then I would totally loose it and break down in a fit. Please bring it back to it's glory.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#6 brimmul777  Online
Member since 2011 • 6101 Posts

Call of Duty= Same sh*t year by year.

NHL,NFL,NBA,FIFA,Sports in general= Same sh*t year by year.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#7  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Can't really think of any at the moment. Most series that I play don't overtly disappoint me to the point of apathy.

Dunoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dunoid
Member since 2016 • 72 Posts

@thatsnotmyname: All of Them

I've become so cynical that I can't find any game at all that I want to play. I ask for recommendations on this forum, but it's all in vain. No matter how good people find the game, I find some reason not to buy it. "SOMA has jumpscares", "Gone Home looks pretentious", "AAA games are sellout trash", "indie games are amateur crap". I desperately look for something new, but I immediately disregard anything I find.

Even the franchises I used to love, like Halo, Fallout, and the Sims, I'm now incredibly cynical and displeased about. "Fallout 4 is watered down", "The Sims 4 is gutted", "Halo's never going to be as good as it was". I find reasons to hate games without even playing them. The only new game I bought in 2015 was UnderTale, I don't have a current-gen console, and I haven't updated my gaming PC in four years. I don't understand what I'm missing, why I'm so unimpressed. It's a swirl of directionless anger about video games and I can't understand it. I'm trapped in a perpetual cycle of hate and cynicism that makes it impossible for me to love.

But at least this saves me a lot of money. Games are expensive!

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I would say Mass Effect since the 2nd game it lost what made the first game unique.

naughtyottsel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 naughtyottsel
Member since 2016 • 1801 Posts

None, every game I get hyped for I end up loving.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10490 Posts

splinter cell - it's annoying that ubisoft keep churning assassin's creed games out without changing the mediocre core gameplay, yet they couldn't stop tinkering with splinter cell after chaos theory, when they'd practically perfected the stealth genre

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
Member since 2016 • 372 Posts

I still buy every game in the franchises I love. Most of them don't disappoint to the point I want to just forget the franchise. Final Fantasy has come pretty close. Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk are in there for me. My dumb a bought THPS5 day 1. I think Amazon is offering to pay people to take copies of it off their hands now. In all fairness, it's not completely awful, but it didn't capture like the first one on DC for me.

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

Resident Evil, final fantasy, hitman, silent hill

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#14 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@thatsnotmyname said:

So we all had that game we fell in love, then like school cheerleaders cheered and cried each time there is new games of that franchise.....however thing is as time and time went and as new and new game of that franchise came your love for it suddenly kinda vanished and you first found yourself in position of not being so hyped anymore, then later kinda stopping to care, then you seriously stop to care and in end each news about "New game of that franchise" is making you sick.

So which franchise was it for you? Not that you hate it, just....want it to stop pretty much because you want break for them and most likely just wish something new came out already. For me it is pretty much:

• Assassin's Creed
  • Final Fantasy
  • Tomb Raider
  • Far Cry
  • Dynasty Warriors
  • GTA

Hmm, there is a few where it´s hard to be hyped by another game.

GTA - GTA V is a good game but its crap compared to earlier GTA´s particular GTA IV.

Assassins Creed - Well 3, Unity and Syndicate says it all, they are crap on crap and it´s amazing that after Black Flags it´s just gone down hill.

tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 tanerb
Member since 2003 • 1300 Posts

Any Bioware and Bethesda game. Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Elder Scrolls, Fallout. Used to pre-order a and play for months. I don't play them anymore

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23944 Posts

Shin Megami Tensei.

They have moved too far away from the gameplay focus and focused too much on Persona esque social elements. I dont play SMT to boost people's affinity with me.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

Resident Evil. I was so hooked on it after RE2 came out when I was in my preteens. Resident Evil was a huge part of my life until things changed after RE4.

Castlevania. Say what you will about the N64 days but, I loved the Castlevania series since I first played Castlevania64. Since iy was my first exposure to Castlevania, it sparked a whole lot of interest in me and led me to other titles like Circle Of The Moon during that era of gaming. I've since then been hooked CV and loved most titles. Lords Of Shadow though... The PS2 Castlevania games felt more like CV than LOS and its sequels.

Final Fantasy lost me after X. I do enjoy some of the spin-off titles though like Chronicles and Explorers looks interesting.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17676 Posts

Mario. I'm sick and tired of him. Not so much the main line games (though SMG 2 is the last one I truly enjoyed), but that he's in everything. Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, Mario & Luigi, Mario Party, Smash.

I mean come on. Not only this, but these games constitute the majority of their line-up, and share Mario's aesthetic. Would people be content if Drake was in all of Sony's first party, or Marcus in MS's?

When Nintendo is the only developer for their hardware, how can they see it prudent to shove one character into so many of their games? It's no wonder their audience is shrinking, people are getting bored.

Matthew2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Matthew2016
Member since 2016 • 40 Posts

I don't know why gta is on that list every time gta gets announced everyone get excited for it's release becasue the release date's inbetween the gta games are so long the time between GTA IV and GTA V was like 5 years and GTA V was brought to a new console so people got even more hyped for the franchise releasing on a new console. but gta v got boring for me about a year and a half after release even with the new dlc's it still gets boring because you need to grind for cash for new vehicles and apartment's which can take some time so i just give up trying and dont return to the game for a long time. but when GTA VI is announced i will be pumped up for it and everyone else will be to and it will most likely be on the next generation consoles

ThatsNotMyName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ThatsNotMyName
Member since 2015 • 84 Posts

@matthew2016: Because that list is mine!

Therefor GTA is on mine list. Simply because I'm starting to get tired of franchise and honestly I can't say I care much and at all for GTA 6, I just want franchise to finishes before it goes to heck(like AC did). I would prefer that 'Rockstar' gives us 'Bully 2' instead =)

Leon-Strife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 385

#21 Leon-Strife
Member since 2016 • 490 Posts

Mighty No. 9.
I was so hyped. Now I ain't even sure it will come out. :-)

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Assassin's Creed, Halo, Gears of War, God of War, Fable.

Matthew2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Matthew2016
Member since 2016 • 40 Posts

@thatsnotmyname: that's why i think people still get excited about GTA because it's released once every few years and not like most games now with a yearly release. that's how people get bored of franchises and that's why GTA V is one of the best selling games of all time because people were waiting such a long time for the game to be released including myself. right now you probably don't think you are but when GTA VI gets announced you still will be looking forward to it just as you were when GTA V was announced. i agree i'm bored of GTA V but it's not going to stop me getting excited about GTA VI