Finally bought a Dreamcast VGA cable. Have a question...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

So Amazon started selling a Dreamcast VGA cable(by Tomee). I need a vga to hdmi for my television. Is it possible to just get a dongle, or is a box necessary. Also, does anybody have any experience with these? Is there a worry about lag? My tv also has component--does it make more sense to use component since there'd be no audio conversion?

thanks.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Some of the new ones are just dongles. I haven't personally used one but I can at least verify for you that I've seen these around and I know stores that carry them in-house and that "dongle DC VGA adapters" are indeed "a thing". A buddy of mine who has a used gaming store started carrying them and he asked me if I had ever used them. To my knowledge he hasn't had to return any of the ones he sold.

-Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@Byshop:

Yeah, I was surprised to see how small they were. This is the one I'm looking at:

Sewell Hammerhead

Now, there's one for a few dollars more that says it upscales. However, I worry about lag. I guess that is why I'm hesitant about what to get. I kept putting this off because I don't have a vga monitor and my plasma died a while back. Then I bought a Sony KDL32in650a lcd. From ALL of my experience with lcds, lower res content looked just awful. Yesterday I hooked up the wii and played some gamecube games, though, and it actually looked phenomenal--even better than my old st30 panasonic plasma, perhaps.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Byshop  Moderator

@Heirren said:

@Byshop:

Yeah, I was surprised to see how small they were. This is the one I'm looking at:

Sewell Hammerhead

Now, there's one for a few dollars more that says it upscales. However, I worry about lag. I guess that is why I'm hesitant about what to get. I kept putting this off because I don't have a vga monitor and my plasma died a while back. Then I bought a Sony KDL32in650a lcd. From ALL of my experience with lcds, lower res content looked just awful. Yesterday I hooked up the wii and played some gamecube games, though, and it actually looked phenomenal--even better than my old st30 panasonic plasma, perhaps.

I'll check with my local store and see if they've sold any and how they have worked and post back.

-Byshop

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

@Heirren: I just received my Dreamcast to VGA cable and I'm waiting for my VGA to HDMI box. I'm hooking it up to a monitor that has HDMI only. I'm excited to play Dreamcast again I just hope it's worth the effort of having to order the extra items. The box is cheap so I don't know what affect it will have on the game itself.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Thanks for the info to the both of you. I look forward to hearing how the vga box works.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RimacBugatti

@Heirren: No problem! Yeah my box should be in by tomorrow so I should have the Dreamcast hooked up by Monday night or so. I just wish there was a way for us to get a better resolution than 480. That would be cool if we could upscale the Dreamcast to 720. I wonder if that's possible?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Byshop  Moderator

@RimacBugatti said:

@Heirren: No problem! Yeah my box should be in by tomorrow so I should have the Dreamcast hooked up by Monday night or so. I just wish there was a way for us to get a better resolution than 480. That would be cool if we could upscale the Dreamcast to 720. I wonder if that's possible?

It is possible, and how to do it was included among the responses you got in your other thread where you were asking how to get the Dreamcast working on your HDMI monitor. It's just much more expensive than just the VGA cable.

-Byshop

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RimacBugatti

@Byshop:

Oh ok I haven't read the other thread lately. I have already spent too much money on video games so I'm on a budget. I don't play games a lot but I was really missing the Dreamcast as PS4 has been much of a disappointment.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RimacBugatti

@Heirren: I just hooked up my Dreamcast tonight! I must say it looks pretty good but I think eventually upgrading to 1080p would be necessary if I were to keep it hooked up for a while. Being that I'm not going to be playing it for a long time I will stick with the 480i. It does look really sweet though. Well worth the extra effort for sure. Definitely looks better than I remember. I hope you get yours running alright. I'm still looking to get a few games so I will have some games to play over the next couple of weeks. Let me know when you get it hooked up and what you think. The Dreamcast lives on! :)