Fed up of the confusion between strategy game types!! (casual discusssion)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hooooosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 hooooosa
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

1)- Labeling:

I am a huge RTS fan.. the real pure RTS like AOE and Generals. I am sick and tired of what i have to keep up with while trying to discover new games of the same genre, (they could be counted on your hands mind you) here, as well as 99 percent of other games sites do not know how to properly categorize their games. which results in me being so damn frustrated because im scared to buy the game and discover later its more like a RTT, examples of those include (Total war series, blitzkreig, codename panzers, sudden strike). "Strategy" is a really broad term and tactics is only an element in it, when i think of strategy its not only how i attack my enemy but the way in which i want to build my empire, defend it and attack, a real strategy game would have the 'Rock Paper Scissors' formula of Rushing, Booming and Turtling (wont explain that now use google) and so pure strategy games like AOE which has the whole package should only be labled as RTS, where not only u are dealing with battle but also developing your nation. I think it a huge sin to put a Total War and a AOE game under the same damn category, ITS JUST WRONG! we need proper accurate labling system, i have yet to find a game site for that (pls if you know one tell me). Routinely, when looking at such games reviews here or anywhere else (same thing really) i am concerned about a few critical elements, Base Building? Resource Collecting? and other minor factors that help me picture in my mind what kind of game it is, this is what i am looking for, i dont want to read through a 2 page review justto find that out (and often i still dont), unless i want to know how good/bad it is. and there is nothing yet, that serves me this, in my opinion, nessesity.

2)- Cheap Spinoffs:

There are other branched spinoffs of strategy games other than tactical games i like to call "real time role playing strategy" a good example of that is the Warcraft games where theyre are significantly less units because of no real army divisions factor in the game and depends more on individual heroes. there are also games that are a mixture between RTT and RTRPS like (commandos, soldiers heroes of ww2, faces of war, men of war). there are many many many of RTS spinoff games like those previously mentioned disguising theirselves as "strategy" and people actually believing, when in reality they just look like it but are actually based on role-playing (making the game significantly easier to create) I am looking at you ..ahem..Warcraft..ahem.The deception has got to end. and actually very few of the pure strategy games exist as i previously mentioned, probably because they require serious detailed programming thus taking most time and effort to develop than any other genre.

3)- Crappy Campains:

When i play an RTS i naturally never payed attention to the campaign because simply of the nature of RTSs, these games were made for skirmish or against other people and the campaign would have the Role-playing factor so as to consume your time and then brag about how long the game runs which is just stupid. RTS's shouldnt have campaigns unless the campains are actually skirmish battles like "Rise of legends" where you try to conquer more and more land through battles, End Of Story. honestly the AOEII campaigns made me throw up if u ever played it you know what i mean.

do u agree? disagree? will strategy labeling ever change? pls comment.

P.S: i can just put my opinions in a blog, but im too lazy to make one just picked gamespot forums randomly because it was the first place that came to mind.

MazNator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 MazNator
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

I can agree with that, I don't like phony RTS games much myself either. Would you put Supreme Commander down as a real RTS? It may not have much in the terms of nation building, but commanding your units on a field as big as the ones on the original SC feels really, uh... strategic. Personally, the game I think comes closest to this definition is Sins of a Solar Empire. great game there!

TGE985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 TGE985
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Warcraft based on roleplaying? What?

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts

Warcraft based on roleplaying? What?

TGE985
It has heroes doesn't it? OP made it pretty obvious how Warcraft is not a true RTS like StarCraft is. It's a dumbed down version of strategy games for people too overwhelmed by challenges to enjoy a good game.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f52b90668f58
deactivated-5f52b90668f58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5f52b90668f58
Member since 2005 • 32 Posts

i don't really understand what your argument is. you seem angry because your beloved genre name is being used for games that you don't personally enjoy. take a typical RTS game (base building, gathering, army building etc), put in a few RPG elements (hero units that gain levels) and you still have an RTS game, albeit with some RPG features. i can't think of a single negative effect on your being this has, other than when you search under "real-time strategy" on gamespot you will see some games that you don't personally enjoy. thankfully nobody ever forces you to click those. also, while age of empires and the total war games do both come under strategy, age of empires comes under "real-time strategy" and the total war games come under "turn-based strategy". if this is not enough of a distinction for you then really i question your ability to use the website rather than the website itself.

now ask yourself this: does genre name really matter? you can create subgenres within subgenres, but all that really affects is your ability to find similar games to something you like, which i already find extremely easy with a small amount of effort. really it's just a filing system, not something sacred. pigeonholing too much can also have the negative effect of slowly making you stick only to one very specific subgenre and never broadening your horizons (something i find far more dangerous within music).

as for campaigns within RTS games, you seem to think that because you don't personally enjoy them that they are pointless and should not be included. why can't RTS games be used as a medium to tell a story? isn't that the choice of those making the game? regardless, a great many people DO enjoy them, myself included. the starcraft games are great examples of it done very well. even when the campaigns are done badly (age of empires), nobody forces you to play them. you might argue that precious development time and funds were spent on it, but generally if a campaign is done very badly it's because they weren't.

in the grand scheme of things don't you think you should be more focused on the content of games (and enjoying it), rather than the various subgenres they come under?

Loegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Loegi
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts
I think his main complaint was that most Real Time Strategy games aren't about strategies, but tactics. At least, that's what I make out of it, and it's something I don't like either.