Fallout vs. The Elder Scrolls - A War

#1 Posted by Capt_Irrelevant (13 posts) -

So who do you think would win an epic battle between the Fallout and Elder Scrolls universe? Bows and arrows vs Guns, Magic vs Lasers/Plasma/Mini-nukes, Dragons vs Vertibirds, Giant Dwemer things vs Liberty Prime, Hero of Kvatch vs The Lone Wanderer, The Dragonborn vs The Courier, Tamriel vs Washington DC, Skyrim vs New Vegas.

Basically, everything and everyone Fallout has to offer vs. everything and everyone The Elder Scrolls has to offer.

#2 Posted by Planeforger (15802 posts) -

I suspect that the Chosen One with advanced power armour mk. II and a .233 pistol would be able to take out most of Tamriel by himself.

#3 Posted by johnd13 (8237 posts) -

Fallout of course. Vastly superior weapons and armor. Mages could be a problem but the Tesla Cannon could take care of those.

#4 Edited by Capt_Irrelevant (13 posts) -

Oh, hell yeah! I'd pick Fallout's side too. I love Fallout. But I became interested in discussing this in a forum when I was trying out Skyrim. I, personally, imagined it would be a pretty even fight.

I was just wondering if the magic wards would be able to deflect bullets...how about mini nukes? And I don't know much about Elder Scrolls, but I understand the dragon shout is supposed to kick ass. How would that do against Fallout? Of course, not much use in the magic shouting if you get sniped from a distance.

#5 Posted by mastermetal777 (1745 posts) -

The Fallout universe would utterly destroy the Elder Scrolls universe in terms of firepower and overall strength. And this is coming from someone who would choose The Elder Scrolls over Fallout any day of the week.

#6 Posted by SoNin360 (5506 posts) -

Well, the Fallout universe has the obvious advantage with fire-arms. I guess there are bows, crossbows, and magic for mid to long range in Skyrim, but I don't think it's a fair comparison overall.

#7 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6255 posts) -

Bethesda

#8 Edited by SovietsUnited (2321 posts) -

Fallout doesn't have any higher powers like Daedra or The Nine Divines, so this one goes easily to Elder Scrolls.
But if gods and deities are out of the question, Fallout pretty much stomps

#9 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (631 posts) -

magic can defeat any "real-life" weaponry.

#10 Posted by Ish_basic (4031 posts) -
@SoNin360 said:

Well, the Fallout universe has the obvious advantage with fire-arms. I guess there are bows, crossbows, and magic for mid to long range in Skyrim, but I don't think it's a fair comparison overall.

It's not really an advantage. Kill a guy with a gun and you pick up his gun. Now you have guns AND magic.

Tamriel also has actual food production. Good luck outlasting guys that have both magic and your guns when you're surviving on a diet of irradiated potato chips.

#11 Posted by SoNin360 (5506 posts) -

@Ish_basic said:
@SoNin360 said:

Well, the Fallout universe has the obvious advantage with fire-arms. I guess there are bows, crossbows, and magic for mid to long range in Skyrim, but I don't think it's a fair comparison overall.

It's not really an advantage. Kill a guy with a gun and you pick up his gun. Now you have guns AND magic.

Tamriel also has actual food production. Good luck outlasting guys that have both magic and your guns when you're surviving on a diet of irradiated potato chips.

Alright, if we're going to put that much thinking into this, I doubt most people in Tamriel would know how to properly operate a gun. Plus most people just run around with swords, there aren't that many good mages. And I think people in the Fallout universe are just more hardened due to their harsh living conditions. Of course, I'm not factoring in every creature vs. creature match-up, I'm just thinking more about the actual people.

#12 Posted by Behardy24 (4680 posts) -

I like this question.

#13 Edited by Ish_basic (4031 posts) -

@SoNin360 said:

@Ish_basic said:
@SoNin360 said:

Well, the Fallout universe has the obvious advantage with fire-arms. I guess there are bows, crossbows, and magic for mid to long range in Skyrim, but I don't think it's a fair comparison overall.

It's not really an advantage. Kill a guy with a gun and you pick up his gun. Now you have guns AND magic.

Tamriel also has actual food production. Good luck outlasting guys that have both magic and your guns when you're surviving on a diet of irradiated potato chips.

Alright, if we're going to put that much thinking into this, I doubt most people in Tamriel would know how to properly operate a gun. Plus most people just run around with swords, there aren't that many good mages. And I think people in the Fallout universe are just more hardened due to their harsh living conditions. Of course, I'm not factoring in every creature vs. creature match-up, I'm just thinking more about the actual people.

They're more malnourished, anyway. Years of living without adequate protein and mineral sources would have degraded their musculature and mental capacity. This is a feature that most apocalyptic stories leave out (and it was cool to see it in Del Toro/Hogan's The Strain series).

Meanwhile, the peoples of Tamriel will be stronger because they are the genetic offspring of people that lived more physical lives...the people of Fallout are the offspring of people that drove air-conditioned SUVs down to their mailbox to get the mail. You realize that armed forces have actually attempted the marches of revolutionary war era soldiers, who were mostly just farmers, and they couldn't do them? The strongest of us are weaker physically today than the most common of us were even 200 years ago. It's a product of our technological advancement that we've come to rely on our bodies less. But in an apocalyptic period, the technological advantage falls away because it requires continued production and can be stolen by your opponent. It puts the emphasis back on physical conditioning, and that conditioning just wouldn't be there for the vast majority of Fallout's population who likely would be just barely surviving.

#14 Posted by Behardy24 (4680 posts) -

@udubdawgz1 said:

magic can defeat any "real-life" weaponry.

Magic is sure superior to any type of weaponry most of the time, but when you have 5-10 people shooting in your direction and the mage is having to wait for their magicka to restore, it's not going to turn it out well for mage. Also, usually mages just tend to throw out as much energy as possible to the first enemy they see and won't stop til their enemy is dead. Where as a person with a gun, simply has to do a reload.

#15 Posted by Ish_basic (4031 posts) -

@behardy24 said:

@udubdawgz1 said:

magic can defeat any "real-life" weaponry.

Magic is sure superior to any type of weaponry most of the time, but when you have 5-10 people shooting in your direction and the mage is having to wait for their magicka to restore, it's not going to turn it out well for mage. Also, usually mages just tend to throw out as much energy as possible to the first enemy they see and won't stop til their enemy is dead. Where as a person with a gun, simply has to do a reload.

but how'd you get your gun in Fallout? You found it laying on the ground. It's a scavenger culture in Fallout and that works both ways. All you have to do is send some people in from the thieves guild, and they can come back with a shit load of guns of their own. Not like the Fallout people can send some BoS guys over to learn magic.

better question...deathclaw vs dragon

#16 Posted by harry_james_pot (10951 posts) -

@Ish_basic said:

better question...deathclaw vs dragon

I think the deathclaw wins this one.

#17 Posted by Ish_basic (4031 posts) -

yeah. i think the ecosystem of Fallout has an edge on TES. Molerat vs skeever, Yao guai vs Bear, Super mutant vs Troll, Mirelurk vs Mudcrab, radscorpion vs spider.

#18 Edited by yngsten (224 posts) -

@Ish_basic said:
@SoNin360 said:

Well, the Fallout universe has the obvious advantage with fire-arms. I guess there are bows, crossbows, and magic for mid to long range in Skyrim, but I don't think it's a fair comparison overall.

It's not really an advantage. Kill a guy with a gun and you pick up his gun. Now you have guns AND magic.

Tamriel also has actual food production. Good luck outlasting guys that have both magic and your guns when you're surviving on a diet of irradiated potato chips.

The factions in Fallout would unite, so fresh corn from the NCR farms coupled with power armor doing all the muscle work, I'll say their in quite ship shape.

#19 Posted by Behardy24 (4680 posts) -

@Ish_basic said:

yeah. i think the ecosystem of Fallout has an edge on TES. Molerat vs skeever, Yao guai vs Bear, Super mutant vs Troll, Mirelurk vs Mudcrab, radscorpion vs spider.

Yeah, your right. The Fallout-universe might have an extra edge in battle as well if someone was able to take the enclave mind controlling technology (Fallout 3) and use it for more creatures than just deathclaws. But if that couldn't be done in the quantity I'm thinking about, they could always lure,capture,and release mutant creatures in battle or use as a distraction.

#20 Edited by Behardy24 (4680 posts) -

@Ish_basic said:

@SoNin360 said:

@Ish_basic said:
@SoNin360 said:

Well, the Fallout universe has the obvious advantage with fire-arms. I guess there are bows, crossbows, and magic for mid to long range in Skyrim, but I don't think it's a fair comparison overall.

It's not really an advantage. Kill a guy with a gun and you pick up his gun. Now you have guns AND magic.

Tamriel also has actual food production. Good luck outlasting guys that have both magic and your guns when you're surviving on a diet of irradiated potato chips.

Alright, if we're going to put that much thinking into this, I doubt most people in Tamriel would know how to properly operate a gun. Plus most people just run around with swords, there aren't that many good mages. And I think people in the Fallout universe are just more hardened due to their harsh living conditions. Of course, I'm not factoring in every creature vs. creature match-up, I'm just thinking more about the actual people.

They're more malnourished, anyway. Years of living without adequate protein and mineral sources would have degraded their musculature and mental capacity. This is a feature that most apocalyptic stories leave out (and it was cool to see it in Del Toro/Hogan's The Strain series).

The Nukes had dropped in 2077, the fallout games take place 200 years after the holocaust. So over the generations, the bodies of humans have naturally evolved and adapted to survive in the wastelands. The human body does whatever it has to survive on. The way of living has also changed the way the human body functions in the Fallout universe. Though it is hard to know for sure, humans now might not need as water or food as they did in the pre-war. Also, since 98% of the residents of the wasteland have had life-death confrontations and hard living at some point or other, and that almost the entire population has done some killing(be it against wildlife or other humans), they have obtain the edge in that sense.. This will give them a edge (even if just little) when war knocks on their footsteps.

But one edge that TES universe has over fallout is that everyone in Tamerial doesn't need power. Nearly everyone in Fallout has got some electric light source. The civilizations of TES don't need power, they can live completely without it. That's what makes them a bit fearful.

#21 Posted by Ish_basic (4031 posts) -

@behardy24 said:

@Ish_basic said:

yeah. i think the ecosystem of Fallout has an edge on TES. Molerat vs skeever, Yao guai vs Bear, Super mutant vs Troll, Mirelurk vs Mudcrab, radscorpion vs spider.

Yeah, your right. The Fallout-universe might have an extra edge in battle as well if someone was able to take the enclave mind controlling technology (Fallout 3) and use it for more creatures than just deathclaws. But if that couldn't be done in the quantity I'm thinking about, they could always lure,capture,and release mutant creatures in battle or use as a distraction.

The mind control part made me think of Spriggans. What if they could affect the Fallout wildlife the way they affect Tamriel's? Then you've got them dominating Deathclaws and attacking people with them.

But even standard enchanters could start employing the soul trap glitch from Morrowind to create domination staffs that never wear off and you could have just one guy running around the wasteland, tapping people on the head and creating a mindless army of Fallout NPCs (that was a fun glitch, btw). Can't really lose with magic on your side.

#22 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

At first I was like Fallout but then magic pwns everything. PLUS most of the planet is decimated in Fallout. Elder Scrolls universe can amass armies so numerical advantage.

#23 Edited by Planeforger (15802 posts) -

@Ish_basic: I think you're underestimating the Fallout universe. Did you only play Fallout 3?

The west coast has pretty much entirely recovered from the war by the time of New Vegas, and is expanding eastward intk the wasteland. They have farms, clean cities, organised armed forces, science labs, factories, helicopters and rudimentary space flight. That's not to mention the fact that there are tribes of warriors out in the Wasteland who specialise in melee combat and can live in ridiculously hostile environments. They've got the best of both worlds, really.

The only advantage TES has is magic, and that's a wildcard. Spellcasting in TES is generally kind of slow, and they don't have the range of a sniper rifle...so outside of ridiculously enchanted armour, I still think that future technology takes the edge.

#24 Posted by Behardy24 (4680 posts) -
@Planeforger said:

@Ish_basic: I think you're underestimating the Fallout universe. Did you only play Fallout 3?

The west coast has pretty much entirely recovered from the war by the time of New Vegas, and is expanding eastward intk the wasteland. They have farms, clean cities, organised armed forces, science labs, factories, helicopters and rudimentary space flight. That's not to mention the fact that there are tribes of warriors out in the Wasteland who specialise in melee combat and can live in ridiculously hostile environments. They've got the best of both worlds, really.

The only advantage TES has is magic, and that's a wildcard. Spellcasting in TES is generally kind of slow, and they don't have the range of a sniper rifle...so outside of ridiculously enchanted armour, I still think that future technology takes the edge.

Don't forget to mention that the NCR can do mass production. They have the ability and resources to get everyone willing an m16. Though it is true that most of people wielding the weapons make not be that good of a shot at all, if they least can pull the trigger and aim froward, they can still do some damage to the opposing force.

Wars are also expensive and they cost tons of money. So at first thought, it might seem the Fallout economy might crumble since there is limited number of pre-war caps. But in a Fallout New Vegas quest, a character briefly mentioned how some people forge fake caps. Fallout-verse's upper powers can make it legal and appropriate for the third party companies to do what America already does which is make money out of thin air. Though it may prove to bad in the long run, for war it will be most beneficently in keeping people working.

#25 Posted by Behardy24 (4680 posts) -

@Ish_basic said:

@behardy24 said:

@Ish_basic said:

yeah. i think the ecosystem of Fallout has an edge on TES. Molerat vs skeever, Yao guai vs Bear, Super mutant vs Troll, Mirelurk vs Mudcrab, radscorpion vs spider.

Yeah, your right. The Fallout-universe might have an extra edge in battle as well if someone was able to take the enclave mind controlling technology (Fallout 3) and use it for more creatures than just deathclaws. But if that couldn't be done in the quantity I'm thinking about, they could always lure,capture,and release mutant creatures in battle or use as a distraction.

The mind control part made me think of Spriggans. What if they could affect the Fallout wildlife the way they affect Tamriel's? Then you've got them dominating Deathclaws and attacking people with them.

But even standard enchanters could start employing the soul trap glitch from Morrowind to create domination staffs that never wear off and you could have just one guy running around the wasteland, tapping people on the head and creating a mindless army of Fallout NPCs (that was a fun glitch, btw). Can't really lose with magic on your side.

I agree with you that some Mages would be worthy rivals and troops on the battlefield should be afraid of them. But I'm now thinking that wizards shouldn't be as fear as of opponent as everyone is saying. The biggest percentages of mages in Tamriel are novices, they only know simple attack spells (that don't do much damage) and have low magicka. They can be easily taken down while they are out in the open, waiting to be fully recharge. And not all of them can be taught since it is war and everyone is using everyone they got for the war effort. The higher the skill mage, the less population they will have. Yes, it can mean a won or loss having a skilled magic user on the battle or in a skirmish, it still wouldn't hurt the overall campaign that much since it is a full scale war taking place across many lands. Since a big 80% of troops will have some sort of firearm during battle, a stray bullet or energy weapon shot may hit a higher skill mage. The healing ability is a good edge they have, but when arms and legs are getting blown off by guns and explosive, it will probably prove insufficient in the end.

#26 Posted by humanistpotato (533 posts) -

There are freaking gods in TES so TES wins any day, but if you dont include them fallout might take over if it can find enough healthy fighters, i mean Tamriel is probably A LOT more populated than wasteland

#27 Posted by Capt_Irrelevant (13 posts) -

@Ish_basic: About the Thieves Guild stealing guns....nothing to really do with something you don't know how to use.

#28 Posted by Capt_Irrelevant (13 posts) -

@humanistpotato: Bring on the god-level beings too! Everyone gets a piece of Fallout! Daedra engaged!

#29 Posted by Behardy24 (4680 posts) -

Another advantage the Fallout universe has over TES is air superiority. Fallout has many veritiberds which can be used as a good way to cripple large enemy forces or take down out any villages/hideouts. It's also a great way of transportation, so they can get around easier than anyone. Which promotes operations like sabotage,flanking,espionage and more.

#30 Posted by humanistpotato (533 posts) -

@behardy24 said:

Another advantage the Fallout universe has over TES is air superiority. Fallout has many veritiberds which can be used as a good way to cripple large enemy forces or take down out any villages/hideouts. It's also a great way of transportation, so they can get around easier than anyone. Which promotes operations like sabotage,flanking,espionage and more.

TES has dragons, but it also matters which age of TES are we speaking

#31 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13783 posts) -

I know one thing thats for sure... This war won't be won by GAMEPLAY.

#32 Posted by mastermetal777 (1745 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: Because both styles of gameplay are fundamentally the same? Well that's not entirely accurate. The VATS system makes the Fallout universe a little more powerful gameplay-wise than the Elder Scrolls one

#33 Posted by Behardy24 (4680 posts) -

@humanistpotato said:

@behardy24 said:

Another advantage the Fallout universe has over TES is air superiority. Fallout has many veritiberds which can be used as a good way to cripple large enemy forces or take down out any villages/hideouts. It's also a great way of transportation, so they can get around easier than anyone. Which promotes operations like sabotage,flanking,espionage and more.

TES has dragons, but it also matters which age of TES are we speaking

That is true, but then again, Dragons are apart of the wildlife. They can't be controlled (unless you have a dragonborn around). Though you can lead them straight to where the vertiberds are, there is no certainty that it would go after them or that it won't go against your own forces.

#34 Posted by Gamerno6666 (1646 posts) -

Launch a nuclear missile at the elder scrolls universe. The End.

#35 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13783 posts) -

@mastermetal777

I think Bethesda should just stick to publishing... Thats where their true talent lies.

#36 Posted by speedfog (3233 posts) -

Mini nukes... Done