Face the facts people, true freedom of speech dosen't exist.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Super-Mario-Fan
Super-Mario-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 0

#1 Super-Mario-Fan
Member since 2006 • 4279 Posts

If it did exist, I would be able to say "Kill the president!" in a formal speech without any offenses whatsoever.

Whenever a certain game gets banned in a particular country, people get way too worked up about it.

It doesn't exist, and I don't think it ever will.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

If it did exist, I would be able to say "Kill the president!" in a formal speech without any offenses whatsoever.Super-Mario-Fan

Freedom of speech does not cover that.

xisytenin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 xisytenin
Member since 2008 • 407 Posts
Well Rage against the machine said that the president should be shot at one of there concerts, there was "outrage" in the media, but no real repercusions. I agree though... Manhunt 2 wtf? it was violent but banned? at least until they censored it. wtf
Super-Mario-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Super-Mario-Fan

[QUOTE="Super-Mario-Fan"]If it did exist, I would be able to say "Kill the president!" in a formal speech without any offenses whatsoever.LordAndrew

This isn't just the United States I'm talking about, but the entire world. Violent video games in general have always been a subject of controversy, and that stance will probably continue.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LordAndrew
[QUOTE="LordAndrew"]

[QUOTE="Super-Mario-Fan"]If it did exist, I would be able to say "Kill the president!" in a formal speech without any offenses whatsoever.Super-Mario-Fan

This isn't just the United States I'm talking about, but the entire world. Violent video games in general have always been a subject of controversy, and that stance will probably continue.

Which country? Different countries have different sets of rules for "freedom of speech".

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LordAndrew

Well Rage against the machine said that the president should be shot at one of there concerts, there was "outrage" in the media, but no real repercusions. I agree though... Manhunt 2 wtf? it was violent but banned? at least until they censored it. wtfxisytenin

Banned by the console manufacturers, not by the US government.

xisytenin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 xisytenin
Member since 2008 • 407 Posts
People do have a right to be outraged by violent games just like they have a right to be outraged at things people say thats freedom of speech too, but banning games is going too far, if people dont like it they shouldnt play it and let others choose for themselves instead of thinking of themselves as moral supieriors.
Super-Mario-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Super-Mario-Fan
[QUOTE="Super-Mario-Fan"][QUOTE="LordAndrew"]

[QUOTE="Super-Mario-Fan"]If it did exist, I would be able to say "Kill the president!" in a formal speech without any offenses whatsoever.LordAndrew

Which country? Different countries have different sets of rules for "freedom of speech".

Any country. It dosen't matter. Whenever a game gets banned anywhere, people overreact.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LordAndrew

Any country. It dosen't matter. Whenever a game gets banned anywhere, people overreact.

Super-Mario-Fan

That's just people over-reacting. That has nothing to do with freedom of speech. In fact freedom of speech gives them the right to over-react.

TheFragcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheFragcat
Member since 2008 • 2466 Posts
it's obvious freedom of speech doesn't exist. the human race are like sheep. but sadly we humans are worse than the sheep, we keep each other in line we don't even need the dog. as you may or may not know (this is my opinion & view) the world is controlled by a very few hands. now you may be thinking "hold on, how is that possible" well it's simple. if you want to manipulate people all you have to do is create a society based on rules, whats right & wrong, what's sane & insane, what's possible & impossible & you set them, you pound all this through what we laughingly call the 'education system' & at a young age you begin to accecpt this reality & your mind starts to get narrow until it becomes tunnel visioned, now to the point, freedom of speech can excist more than it does today if people start to express themselfs & their views & not being scared of what other people will think or say about them. what happens to people who step out of the sheep pen of 'norms'? they get ridiculed & laughed at & this is why we don't have freedom of speech, instead we let our 'leaders; do the talking.
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts
I'm calling shenanigans on this topic! Free speech does exist, at least in America. The only real limits is when it becomes immediatly threatning, like I can't run into the mall and yell, "I'm going to kill everybody here with my uzi... Just kidding!"
super_police

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 super_police
Member since 2003 • 884 Posts

Freedom of speech exists in every country to some extent. You can say whatever you think or feel (or even what you dont) anytime you want really. It just matters who is in earshot. If you tell someone "wow, you look really fat today, what did you eat?" for instance you might not like the reaction you get. Provoking words of any sort can lead to imprisonment or violence. It is best to think things through before you speak them no matter where you are. And remember that not everyone is like minded to you or will easily forgive an insult or threat.

Even though it is always possible to say anything, you should be mindful.

Roris0A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Roris0A
Member since 2007 • 627 Posts

I think true freedom of speech doesn't exist because of how controlled the mainstream media is. In our constitution there was right that any person young, poor, rich etc could have equal time in the place where people could get their message out to the masses. Which was the town square back then. Now that town square has become the news channels. And It's really impossible for you speak your voice on them even if you paid. All you see are million dollar paid pundits and celebrities..

And even if a group of billionaires wanted to start their own news channel it would be another impossible act. Because of how much the permit/right is controlled. Try making your own radio channel these days.. So it boils down to this, I can freely speak my mind in most places but it really isn't that powerful if someone else is saying the opposite on a mainstream network while I'm speaking at a concert hall..

Thiago26792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Thiago26792
Member since 2007 • 11059 Posts
We are free to do anything, but everything brings consequences.
Sagacious_Tien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#15 Sagacious_Tien
Member since 2005 • 12562 Posts
Freedom of speech =/= freedom to an audience. Games fall into a whole other category.
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
One person's freedom ends where another person's freedom begins.
Roris0A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Roris0A

Freedom of speech =/= freedom to an audience. Games fall into a whole other category.Sagacious_Tien

I've heard that term many times before... freedom of speech and an audience go hand in hand. What's the point of freedom of speech if you don't have anyone to speak to? And who exactly controls this "audience". Because it's definitely not constitutional for someone to have that kind of power..

Sagacious_Tien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#18 Sagacious_Tien
Member since 2005 • 12562 Posts

[QUOTE="Sagacious_Tien"]Freedom of speech =/= freedom to an audience. Games fall into a whole other category.Roris0A

I've heard that term many times before... freedom of speech and an audience go hand in hand. What's the point of freedom of speech if you don't have anyone to speak to? And who exactly controls this "audience". Because it's definitely not constitutional for someone to have that kind of power..

No one controls the audience. Just because you ave something to say doesn't mean you have to be heard. People have the "freedom" to choose not to listen.
MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MKHavoc
Member since 2007 • 1100 Posts
[QUOTE="LordAndrew"]

[QUOTE="Super-Mario-Fan"]If it did exist, I would be able to say "Kill the president!" in a formal speech without any offenses whatsoever.Super-Mario-Fan

You do have an argument with the United States, but not every country gives you the right to free speech.

Roris0A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Roris0A
[QUOTE="Roris0A"]

[QUOTE="Sagacious_Tien"]Freedom of speech =/= freedom to an audience. Games fall into a whole other category.Sagacious_Tien

No one controls the audience. Just because you ave something to say doesn't mean you have to be heard. People have the "freedom" to choose not to listen.

that bolded, is pretty scary man. And many people also choose to "listen" thats why freedom of speech is there in the first place.. I think you're missing the point of what I'm trying to say though, the fact is that a few people in this country do have the power to control this "right to an audience" which they made up. Do we really have a choice on what gets said in the mainstream media? One example is that no one talks about the insanely dangerous drugs that are manufactered every year that actually make their patients worse. One is called prozac. and there are many more that get no media attention. Try getting a permit to start your own News Channel and you'll see how unfair this is.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Freedom of speech does not exist

Super-Mario-Fan

Aye, you're right: freedom of speech does not exist. Sometimes it's better that way, though: I wouldn't want to hear what some people are only allowed to think.

Astral_Vapor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Astral_Vapor
Member since 2007 • 276 Posts
There's a difference betwene freedom of speech, and straight up threatening somebody lol
SophinaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 SophinaK
Member since 2006 • 990 Posts
[QUOTE="Sagacious_Tien"][QUOTE="Roris0A"]

[QUOTE="Sagacious_Tien"]Freedom of speech =/= freedom to an audience. Games fall into a whole other category.Roris0A

that bolded, is pretty scary man. And many people also choose to "listen" thats why freedom of speech is there in the first place.. I think you're missing the point of what I'm trying to say though, the fact is that a few people in this country do have the power to control this "right to an audience" which they made up. Do we really have a choice on what gets said in the mainstream media? One example is that no one talks about the insanely dangerous drugs that are manufactered every year that actually make their patients worse. One is called prozac. and there are many more that get no media attention. Try getting a permit to start your own News Channel and you'll see how unfair this is.

I'm with Saga. The media has that audience because people have proved time and time again that this is what they want to listen to. If the majority of people wanted to get their news from Rush Limbaugh or NPR those things would be mainstream. Influence starts small and builds up larger, freedom of speech does not automatically entitle anyone to some sort of nationwide soapbox where you can insist that other people hear you.

Roris0A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Roris0A
[QUOTE="Roris0A"][QUOTE="Sagacious_Tien"][QUOTE="Roris0A"]

[QUOTE="Sagacious_Tien"]Freedom of speech =/= freedom to an audience. Games fall into a whole other category.SophinaK

I'm with Saga. The media has that audience because people have proved time and time again that this is what they want to listen to. If the majority of people wanted to get their news from Rush Limbaugh or NPR those things would be mainstream. Influence starts small and builds up larger, freedom of speech does not automatically entitle anyone to some sort of nationwide soapbox where you can insist that other people hear you.

We the people never had the choice in the first place.. There have always been a few mainstream networks even when TV first started because our government immiedately took control of them by issuing out liceneses to only a few rich individuals. So corporate power and our goverment were and are still and even more now, controlling the main source of information..

And also, an audience is all about freedom of speech. They both go together no matter how much people try to deny it. If I'm speaking freely to even one person, that's an audience.. Freedom of speech is speaking your opinion to outside people besides yourself. It's all about improving things.

When the constitution was written the main place for people to speak their opinions was exactly a soapbox, the commons. One famous place was called the "boston commons". And the rich and powerful did try to stop other people from speaking their views and that's why our fouding fathers wrote the first admendment.. And now that soapbox are mainstream networks of today. And like I stated earlier we can already see how criminal this is, not only do individuals not get to excercise their freedom of speech but we supposedly want to hear more about Britney Spears than something like a drug being completely ineffective thus ripping off thousands of Americans.

Anofalye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#25 Anofalye
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts

Everyone's freedom stop where it neighbor freedom starts.I am pretty comfortable with that.

Honestly, it is a comon sense thingy. Everyone would understand why someone saying: "Kill the president" deserve to spent time in jail. I am against money lawsuits however, jail time is the only acceptable situation IMO. Someone sueing shouldn't get 1 penny. This is the only way to make sure peoples are not abusing that lawsuit feature...

Freedom is not an excuse to allow crimes which goes against the humans rights. A president has the right to live in security, and anyone openly going against this human right is indeed a criminal. Canada has many flaws, but the human rights chart done by Canadian Gov is great.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

While the discussion being formed in this thread isn't problematic, the simple fact remains that this thread drifted so far off from having anything to do with games, that it's simply too far off topic to keep going.

Feel free to continue this discussion further on the Off Topic Boards, though.