Exponential Gains In Quality Among Games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Stowik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 0

#1 Stowik
Member since 2006 • 1222 Posts

Anyone else feel like we're in a Golden Age of gaming? I still want to squeeze more hours out of Oblivion.

Meanwhile, I'm jumping between: Portal, Mount and Blade, Far Cry 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, Grand Theft Auto 4, Battelfield: Bad Company, about 4 wargames...

And I just picked up a game called Fallout 3 today.

Times have changed, indeed, from when I coveted a profesional reviewer's rig who mentioned that Wing Commander ran "as smooth as glass" on his 33 Mhz machine.

Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts
No, I don't Oblivion was lame. Games are good but I feel for the most part they lack the heart they use to.
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 gunswordfist
Member since 2006 • 20262 Posts
Out of those games, I've only played Oblivion and the best game of all time, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots.
insinuendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 insinuendo
Member since 2005 • 3734 Posts
You got that right. I barely even recognise a video game these days. How many reviews of films did I read when GTAIV came out comparing how a video game blew a movie out of the water. They're hardly even games any more. No need to soak it up. It's gonna get a lot better.
jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
I also disagree that this is the golden age. A great game doesn't just need graphic appeal, as proved by Nintendo. I think that golden era ran during the PSx days, when game variety shaped the focus towards more creative ideas. Psx>PS2>PS3 was more dramatic change than N64>Gamecube>Wii. The PC has maintained it's place for awhile now. No need to compare it to consoles.