Ever play a long story-driven game, stop playing for a while, then forget story?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

action1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 action1234
Member since 2006 • 958 Posts

Has this ever happened to anyone? You would start playing a story driven game, stop playing it for a long timefor various reasons, then when you come back to it, you forgot what was going on? Does it frustrate you and make you need to start over to understand it? What do you do in this situation?

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17870 Posts
yup a few times. most recently with the witcher. i had to leave it for about 6 months (bloody real life....highly overrated :P). when i got back to it i forgot most of what was going on. i wasnt frustrated that i needed to start again though since its a crackin game.
Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

Of course this has happened to me.
Most recently with Dragon Quest IV. I just didn't make time for it for awhile.

spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

happened to me when i was playing the xenosaga series

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

It's happened to me with almost every Final Fantasy. To be exact, Final Fantasies between 5 and 9. The reason is because I started playing those games when I was very young, and, as a little kid, I would stop playing a game whenever I got stuck and didn't know what to do. So, I pretty much got half way through every final fantasy I own, stopped playing them, then resumed several years later to start over and finish them.

Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
Almost every JRPG that is in existence.
kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts
Yes definitely, I've had to start games over because of it. It is frustrating but at the same time, I brought it on myself by putting the game down. I try as hard as I can not to do that anymore, even if I'm not enjoying the game. I started/restarted the game Nocturne three times before finally seeing it all the way through.
Gemini_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Gemini_Red
Member since 2003 • 3290 Posts

Star Ocean 2 I made that mistake with. I was pretty far into the game but drew a complete blank to what I was supposed to do. Morrowind? You have no idea how many times I lost my place on that game.....soooo grateful for that journal.

jvKratos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jvKratos
Member since 2009 • 31 Posts

It happened to me on Twilight Princess. I got it, beat the first three Ocarina re-dos, then moved across the country, and didn't play it for awhile. I couldn't remember what temple I was supposed to go to next, or what weapons had what special abilities, etc.

Also, Knights of the Old Republic. I had to walk away due to school, got back, and was completely lost for a little bit.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#10 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

Every RPG needs to have a synopsis/log to keep you up to speed on what's going on and what you need to do.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#11 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
This usually only happens to me when I play Metal Gear Solid games. The stories are so convoluted. It's best to keep playing once you start because you can get lost in the story even if you wait a week. I stopped playing Metal Gear Solid 4 very soon because I know I would get confused about the storyline later on. At that time I did not feel like playing it.
emndre187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 emndre187
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

this does happen often but i look at it as lack of quality in the storyline. I could tell you final fantasy 7 and 3 and chrono triggers stories as if i actually lived through those worlds and i have not played any of the 3 games in years.

Aslyum_Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Aslyum_Beast
Member since 2008 • 975 Posts

Well, im not sure if this counts, but i was playing guild wars and was REALLY into the story, but then i kinda stopped touching it, and now when i try to play PvE in it to learn more of the story, i find myself quitting and going to PvP.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

yea once or twice it has, I think that the most recent time of this happening was in Kameo Elements of Power, I left if ro a year (left it up in my vacation home when I brought it up there on accident) and when I came back to it it took me a few hours of playing to remember the main parts of the story.

yagr_zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 yagr_zero
Member since 2006 • 27850 Posts
I've done that from time to time, like say a couple of Zelda games or a Final Fantasy game, and I always just start from the beginning again.
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
All the time, considering my weird gaming schedule and unsurpassed procrastination regarding completing games. The last one was Lost Odyssey. It's bound to happen again, actually, since it's been a while since I last played it. Same goes for Vesperia and Eternal Sonata.
muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
A lot of the time. With the size of my library, I'm in the bad habit of playing a game for a couple of days and then switching to something else, regardless of how much I enjoy the game I had been playing.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
Well, I don't think I ever forgot the story but I did forget where I left off and had to backtrack to refresh my memory. I guess that's kind of like forgetting the story!
4NGoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 4NGoods
Member since 2007 • 1030 Posts

I've done it with a couple games. Just off the top of my head:

Zelda TP on the Wii. Dont know why i set this one down but tried to pick it up again after a couple months and couldnt remember where to go.

Chronotrigger, FF III, and FF IV on NDS and star ocean second evolution on psp.

Avatar image for krato_sephiroth
krato_sephiroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 krato_sephiroth
Member since 2006 • 113 Posts

FF12:I tried to beat this game 3 seperate times...It always bored me at one point;I left it for a while and forgot where I was and what I was doing..

Legend of Zelda:Twilight Princess...I eventually replayed this game and finished it.

metalisticpain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#21 metalisticpain
Member since 2005 • 3536 Posts
Final Fantasy 5. I stopped playing. But I had saved in a small cave halfway up the mountain. When I came back... I didn't know if i was meant to go left or right either :P
shocka-delica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 shocka-delica
Member since 2009 • 245 Posts
happens all the time with the final fantasy games for me actually I don't think I've ever completed a final fantasy game in one playthrough... usually I do the first half, then leave it for a while and forget the story, and then go back and start over again until I complete it
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts

Yeah, it happened to me sometimes.

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

I had that with FF VIII and FFX2.

carlosjuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 carlosjuero
Member since 2008 • 1254 Posts
Happens to me alot with the older FF games - well, not so much as I forget the story - but I forget where I currently am in the story :/
bumpingrindin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bumpingrindin
Member since 2004 • 39 Posts

Every RPG needs to have a synopsis/log to keep you up to speed on what's going on and what you need to do.

King9999

this

-Fromage-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 -Fromage-
Member since 2009 • 10572 Posts
It happens every now and then despite my trying not to let it happen. Fortunately though I remember the basic points of the story, so I'm not totally lost. But there are minor points I forget.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

I had stopped playing Tales of Phantasia for awhile. I tried getting back into the game, but I had no idea what I was doing or where I was supposed to go.

Why am I in this dungeon? How do I get through this dungeon? Am I even supposed to be in this dungeon? Where am I supposed to be? Why can't I find someone who will tell me where I'm supposed to be? Am I looking in the right town? Will I ever find the town with the person who will tell me what I'm doing?

I wish they would have added a log like Tales of Symphonia had. Without that, I'm lost.

Irishpimp1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Irishpimp1992
Member since 2007 • 37 Posts

That's happened to me when I was playing FF9. I got about halfway through the game and stopped to play Wotlk and came back 2 weeks later and totally forgot what i was doing.