Dragon age vs Oblivion

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jasonbourne415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 jasonbourne415
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Both games are amongst the best of the best rpgs however after clocking in over 150 hours in drag age and way over 300 hours in oblivion i found oblivion to be the better of the two. I love how open oblivion functioned. In oblivion money actually counted for something where one could buy meaningful armor, luxury clothing, homes, even several different kinds of horses, spells, and potions. In dragon age only things one can spend money on are next to generic weapons, and generic armor. In terms of freedom oblivion crushes drag age, i beat drag age with each race, and class, and run into the same problem everytime. There is nothing to do after you beat the story. In oblivion i can go for a horse ride or go jack up some goblins, chill at the arena, or even go looting. The one place where drag age excels is in combat. In oblivion the combat is very much generic with melee combat being swinging a stick back and forth, and archery being the same exact motions over and over. Magic, for the most part being the same spells, just different visual effects. In drag age thereare different ways to use swords, 2h swords, and differentarhcery techs. There is even twohandweapons.The shinning light of daois magic. Each spell is unique, and different from the last and next one. Magic is simply beautiful in the game, however it is also extremely overpowered. This is how i feelaboutthe two games and simply wanted to know what other people thought.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#2 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

They couldn't be more different, it's impossible to directly compare them. Oblivion is a first-person, open-world RPG with a relatively insignificant story and virtually no notable characters whereas Dragon Age is an isometric/third-person, highly tactical party-based RPG in which story and characters are everything. The only thing they have in common is that they're both RPG's and they're both awesome games. They both took my personal GOTY in 2006 and 2009, respectively.

Avatar image for Bluestorm-Kalas
Bluestorm-Kalas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Bluestorm-Kalas
Member since 2006 • 13073 Posts

Just because they both share the name "Fantasy RPG" doesn't mean they are similar, Dragon Age and Oblivion went for two, durastically different ends, Dragon Age was a dialouge/team focused RPG where Oblivion was an Action-Adventure/RPG focused on open end playing and sandboxing, two very different concepts.

amigo767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 amigo767
Member since 2005 • 122 Posts
Are you serious? First of all, Dragon Age's you forgot Dragon Age's biggest forte, its story. Dragon Age is story driven, while Oblivion had some mediocre story. Oblivion was a great game, but it had a generic story and the broken leveling system. I dont find "chill at the arena", "or going for horse ride" fun things to do. Oblivion's dungeons also, for the most part, sucked. It was a very repetitive game. It SEEMS to me that you don't care much for stories (nothing wrong with that), naturally making Oblivion your preferred game. Both were RPG's, great ones at that, but they were driven by different aspects. It's like comparing Bioshock to some call of duty game. Bioshock is story driven, but both are FPS
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
DAO is vastly superior, Oblivion is pretty bad. Funny though, because I enjoyed Oblivion much more than I enjoyed DAO. I have my own preference but I can tell you DAO is a much, much better game even though I did enjoy playing Oblivion more, and Oblivion is fairly bad when it comes to being an RPG FYI.
Sloan360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sloan360
Member since 2009 • 1449 Posts

Oblivion...nuff said.

Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Strider_91
Member since 2007 • 6570 Posts
I'd probably pick Dragon's Age of the two.. Oblivion was an awesome game and definitely one of the top RPG's out for 360 but DAO was something different.
bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#8 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
Dragon Age, both are great but DAO just has a lot more when it comes to a good story.
darkman006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 darkman006
Member since 2009 • 933 Posts
I like Oblivion more because I felt like I had more freedom rather than in Dragon Age I had to do the main quest. There are side quests but there just wasn't enough of them for me. I also didn't like the fact of having invisible barriers blocking my way in Dragon Age when I wanted to explore certain areas. Invisible barriers should not be allowed in RPGs! I do like Dragon Age but I liked Oblivion more.
morrowindnic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 morrowindnic
Member since 2004 • 1541 Posts

Are you serious? First of all, Dragon Age's you forgot Dragon Age's biggest forte, its story. Dragon Age is story driven, while Oblivion had some mediocre story. Oblivion was a great game, but it had a generic story and the broken leveling system. I dont find "chill at the arena", "or going for horse ride" fun things to do. Oblivion's dungeons also, for the most part, sucked. It was a very repetitive game. It SEEMS to me that you don't care much for stories (nothing wrong with that), naturally making Oblivion your preferred game. Both were RPG's, great ones at that, but they were driven by different aspects. It's like comparing Bioshock to some call of duty game. Bioshock is story driven, but both are FPSamigo767
Oblivion has a deep story, you just have to read the books, and have played the previous games.