does playing games make you want to buy more games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 0

#1 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

...and does talking about games and thinking about games make you want to buy more of them too?

when i'm in the middle of playing a game, i want to play more games (other games) and thinking about those games that i want to play usually makes me buy them at some point. but also thinking about the game i'm playing interests me in other titles.

however...playing games like ICO and orbital (or 'artstyle: orbient') don't make me want to buy or consume. they feel like stand-alone experiences. i think this is good.

how do you guys feel about games as materialistic goods? and what about games from our childhood? i don't see yoshi's island as a packaged good; i see it as part of my childhood. however, some of my games i do see them as very commerical objects and it makes me want more.

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
While playing games i just want to play the game. but taliking about games and thinking about them make me want to buy more.
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#3 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
Reading about them makes me want to buy them. Previews really get me hyped for video games. If any preview can help reminisce about a past fun gaming experience, it'll make me want to buy one instantly. When I talk about games I'm usually arguing or bashing on this site.
Noah-Phoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Noah-Phoenix
Member since 2009 • 141 Posts

I think you're right. Whever I get the chance to play, it does make me want more games. Its usually more of the same though. Like if I'm playing Burnout, I'll want to find the old Burnouts to play them. When I got Fable 2, a few hours into it I went on Ebay and got the original Fable(Which I think is better, actually). I recently got COD4, late I know, but I love it, and it makes me want more of it, so I looking to get COD2/3 or even splash out on COD5.

So I'm not sure if its sequels/prequels of games it makes me want, or just wanting to keep the rush going with more new games. Getting that new game in the tray and watching the opening and getting you're filthy mits on the controller for a new game is a big rush, and can be addictive. We as consumers are always after the next big thing, and as most games have a tendency to be overhyped, and a little dissapointing, we immediately look to the next, and get bored quickly.

I myself always have to have at least two games on the go at any one time, so I don't get bored with one or the other. At the moment its Burnout Paradise and COD4. I can't see myself getting bored with either, but I am still looking on Ebay, Amazon, Game and the like for my bargain next game.

Looking at Fallout 3 right now...or perhaps Street Fighter 4....I still havent played Bioshock,,,,,or Dead Rising....hmmmm....We are just never satisfied...

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#5 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

I think you're right. Whever I get the chance to play, it does make me want more games. Its usually more of the same though. Like if I'm playing Burnout, I'll want to find the old Burnouts to play them. When I got Fable 2, a few hours into it I went on Ebay and got the original Fable(Which I think is better, actually). I recently got COD4, late I know, but I love it, and it makes me want more of it, so I looking to get COD2/3 or even splash out on COD5.

So I'm not sure if its sequels/prequels of games it makes me want, or just wanting to keep the rush going with more new games. Getting that new game in the tray and watching the opening and getting you're filthy mits on the controller for a new game is a big rush, and can be addictive. We as consumers are always after the next big thing, and as most games have a tendency to be overhyped, and a little dissapointing, we immediately look to the next, and get bored quickly.

I myself always have to have at least two games on the go at any one time, so I don't get bored with one or the other. At the moment its Burnout Paradise and COD4. I can't see myself getting bored with either, but I am still looking on Ebay, Amazon, Game and the like for my bargain next game.

Looking at Fallout 3 right now...or perhaps Street Fighter 4....I still havent played Bioshock,,,,,or Dead Rising....hmmmm....We are just never satisfied...

Noah-Phoenix

heh, i'm looking at bioshock too. for some reason playing metroid prime 2 made me think of bioshock, and i wanted to explore that. i think it's the quest to find the perfect game.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
Only if it's an addicting demo.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Sometimes.
GhostMechine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GhostMechine
Member since 2009 • 34 Posts
Seein a friend playing a game gets me pumped into playing that game. Thats what happened with WoW, now I sit and wonder what went on during thoes WoW times-lol
Epitaph_User

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Epitaph_User
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Now that's a good question! I play games since I was 6 and I am 23 now! I always loved games and still do for the fun they give me. In that sense, when I play a game I don´t feel like buying another one: until that one is finished that's all I need.

However, the more I played the more experience I gained and it became hard to find a decent challenging game over time. In that another sense, since I finish games quickly I find myself thinking about what game I'm going to buy in 3 days:P

So I think in games everytime I play or read about them but that's also a question of finding something more useful to do with my life8)