Does anyone remember Descent?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#1 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

I loved these games for the PC, man were they cool. I can't help but think with the technology available today what an incredible experience they could produce. With new lighting and rendering techniques coupled with vast tunnels that could span miles underground, it could be pretty damn incredible.

I know don't even know if Interplay is still around in any form, they have been in a lot of financial trouble though. Will we ever see another Descent game? It was such a cool concept for a game.

Anyone else out therea fan of the Descent series?

ZhenDash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ZhenDash
Member since 2006 • 1483 Posts
I only played the first one on the PC like a decade ago and I didn't had the chance to play Descent Maximum on the PSone
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#3 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

I just can't stop thinking about how cool it would be if done today. Tunnels collapsing under enough stress from firepower (and being able to kill enemies by bringing the walls down on them), being able to drill to adjacent passages, true lighting and having the pitch black darkness be as much a threat to the player as the enemies themselves.

They could do so much. If done right, I have no doubt it would seriously rock.

Too bad too, because it's probably never going to happen. Descent had more of a cult following anyhow.

ZhenDash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ZhenDash
Member since 2006 • 1483 Posts
Yep, Descent has a lot of potential if it would be having a comeback during this generation of games. It would be a great action game either on the PC or the consoles but the PC controls were better IMO
HIMSteveO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 HIMSteveO
Member since 2005 • 492 Posts
I played the demos of Descent 1 and 2 back in the day, and they were pretty good. Being a young-un at the time, money was hard to come by, so I never bought the full versions (never played the full version in any other, slightly less legal ways either). If you're looking for a newer take, try Forsaken. It is going back a few years even for that game now, but it still looks decent, and was basically Descent with flash graphics (for the time). It's pretty hard too, I've never gotten past the second level (only made it there 2 or 3 times - and I don't want to play it on easy). Great stuff though
shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts
I played the demo on PS1. There was nothing special to me in this game.
Anabub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Anabub
Member since 2006 • 8316 Posts
I just found myself getting more and more lost in those tunnels ... it was very disorientating!
Sunny-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sunny-O
Member since 2004 • 2877 Posts
I have the second one still. Haven't played it in a while though. I'd also be interested in seeing an update.
selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts
I remember them well. I played the demos and they were very fun. It would work well today if they updated it with an action/thriller setting and included a new engine with new features.
asmodeus_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 asmodeus_z
Member since 2004 • 442 Posts

I was an avid fan of Descent - I still remember back then while I was still in colleague, my friends and I would go round the computer lab and secretly installed the game on the PCs so that we can net play. Despite numerous warnings, we would still persists playing the moment the lab operator isn't around!

Those were the days .. :oops:

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Forsaken was a decent attempt to revive Descent. Nice games, slightly brainy, rather dull graphically. Anybody remember Descent to Undermountain, a D&D spin-off using the same engine (I think)?
Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

I was an avid fan of Descent - I still remember back then while I was still in colleague, my friends and I would go round the computer lab and secretly installed the game on the PCs so that we can net play.asmodeus_z

I did the same exact thing. Good times!

I think, however, that Decent was more popular because of its 3D-ness than anything else. I don't think that it wouldimpact gamers as muchnow that 3D is the norm.

F1racerjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 F1racerjb
Member since 2006 • 763 Posts
YES that was my second PS1 game, after Warhawk. It was great and it should be a PS1 classic on the PSN store. I might try to find it on ebay for the pc
Rockingtime75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Rockingtime75
Member since 2006 • 805 Posts
I played Descent 1 and 2 on the PC, they were great. I loved those games.
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#15 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Descent and Fury were awesome games, i had a lot of fun playing them back in their day.
BeyondPain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 BeyondPain
Member since 2008 • 762 Posts
I played the demo for the first one and a think that itd be cool to bring it back although theyd have to really up the anti on the level design for it to compete with todays games (the gameplay is fine, the levels need an updat). Maybe make it like bioshock, except with a different setting and no gravity.
_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 _Bear
Member since 2002 • 18760 Posts
I loved this game, I had all 3 on PC and the 3rd's expansion. I also had two copies of it for PS1 which I used to link up with two PS1's and two TV's we had a blast with it! The 3rd one online on PC was great, I played it a ton up until a few years ago. I bet people are still playing it.
GameWiz47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18 GameWiz47
Member since 2006 • 221 Posts
Descent, good times, that was one of my first pc games with Doom. I played Descent 3 at my cousin's and I still want to play it. Unfortunately i can't find it anywhere near here.