Do you think you'll end up selling/getting rid of your video games/console collection at some point in your life?

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 14

#1 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

I only buy most my games digitally now as I've said numerous times already.

But, if I did have a physical games/console collection I'd think I would put them in storage or pass them down to my children or grandchildren. All of the stuff I was once passionate about I still manage to hold sentimental value towards. Which I guess is a good thing.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56252 Posts

I still have my original SNES, Sega Genesis, and more to add at some point but no, I will not sell my old consoles or games because they are so hard to find or rebuy now, it's not even worth it cause they mean so much to me. My handhelds like Gameboy series are worth keeping.

But however, if a Collector comes and see my old games, unless the price is right, I might make a deal.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I made that mistake once before and will never make it again. Then around the time that I turned 30, the nostalgia bug hit me hard and I ended up having to rebuy all of my retro consoles and spent far more money to re-aquire them in great condition than I got for originally selling them.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I regret selling off my old PSX and PS2 games sure I can play them on a emulator but it's not the same. I also wish I never got rid of all my old gaming magazines that I had growing up. I'm a very nostalgic person to the point where I get really depressed thinking about the old days I even look at old 90's gaming ads online wishing I could jump back in time.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11677 Posts

Not something that crosses my mind. My PS2 long since broke and PS3 was backwards compatible so that was the answer to that. Still have my PS3 and usually use it for retro gaming. A lot of the remasters I invest in because like revisiting the best possible version of these games if possible.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59108 Posts

Most physical ones have been thrown out.

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7 GNS
Member since 2015 • 923 Posts

Probably. But not likely.

HEATHEN75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 HEATHEN75
Member since 2018 • 1679 Posts

I keep all my old gaming gear. They will be good starter systems when I have grandkids.

Enragedhydra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Enragedhydra
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

I made that mistake years ago, but since I had to spend a lot of money requiring my old consoles.
I owned games like Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes on the Gamecube which is now a $70 pickup.
I used to buy strict digital (PC player) but after I started watching Youtubers' like Metal Jesus Rocks, BeatemUps and RGT85 I decided it would be fun to really go after physical collecting as well.

Good_Coop89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Good_Coop89
Member since 2017 • 431 Posts

@warmblur: I'm exactly the same as you.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44333 Posts

Only when I pass away then I’ll give my gaming collection to my family members.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

@warmblur said:

I regret selling off my old PSX and PS2 games sure I can play them on a emulator but it's not the same. I also wish I never got rid of all my old gaming magazines that I had growing up. I'm a very nostalgic person to the point where I get really depressed thinking about the old days I even look at old 90's gaming ads online wishing I could jump back in time.

same here.

every now and then i'll go on youtube and watch commercials from the 90's and just wanna relive that time.

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

In the end. You can always buy a new one there are generally loads floating around ebay in various states of repair.

I don't regret selling my Mega Drive and games way back when because it's just either sitting on capitol or you are officially a 'collector' and will buy games and not take them out of their original packaging, lining them up on your shelf or in a display cabinet.

Which I just am not rich enough for yet.

But when I am I will buy all the 90's Sega stuff and writhe around in it like Scrooge McDuck (on drugs).

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

NOPE. Never.

I'll pass them to my kids and grandkids and beyond.

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

Probably not. I don't really have any sentimental value with them. I'm not one for nostalgia but there's nothing to gain from selling them either so I might as well keep them for sake of preservation.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

When I was in university and moving back and forth every year, I just tossed my collections (which weren’t really collections but random games in plastic bags). I threw out my NES, SNES, N64, Intellivision, Sega Master System, PS1, Atari 7800, and Vic 20 - along with the games/accessories. I kinda quit gaming to focus on school. I’ve since bought another 7800 as I loved that system and I pretty much have my entire collection again (gotta re-buy Crystal Castles which I keep forgetting).

I own a 7800 (obviously), Sega Saturn, 360, Ngage, Wii, WiiU, GameCube, ps3, Xbox, Gameboy, GBA, DS, Vectrex, X1, X1X. The only system I actively collect for is the Xbox. Obviously I buy X1 games, but that’s mostly on a need to buy basis or I just buy them digitally.

To get on topic, my collections are taking up too much space as it is. But I don’t think I’d sell them as I’ve streamlined it to what I like.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3576 Posts

Only if they die. My NES is still strong but new consoles fail more often. I've been though a few 360's, I had a ps2 fail, 2 ps3's, an xbone and had another repaired. But anything before the ps2 gen stayed strong except box nes's.

Raining51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Raining51
Member since 2016 • 1162 Posts

Well I mean pretty much when anyone dies by default everything goes somewhere... that's one thing.... er... kinda macabre to bring it up now though basically I guess.

But yeah I guess in general I don't really think about selling it and stuff I feel like for one bd because I go back and play old games sometimes really old and secondly

I don't think it'd be worth all that much in the aggregate not enough to pay off for anything super important and big so whatever.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#20 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

I never felt bad for selling my old consols.

But now it is different... like on the Switch I have more than 75% of my 20 games as digital ... same with my Vita ... and my collection of games on the PS4 is growing digitally.

headninjadog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 headninjadog
Member since 2005 • 742 Posts

I was just looking for a thread like this. I got hit with the nostalgia bug recently with video games. When I first got really into them, I had just graduated college and bought myself an Xbox in 2002 as a gift. than that summer I bought a PS2. I had a lot of the popular games and some rare games too that when I go on ebay I see what they are selling for and want to kick myself. I had this ridiculous problem with owning game consoles that I would think owning more than one was sometimes unnecessary and would sell one collection to Gamestop for credit. I kid you not, I did this multiple times between Xbox and PS2 consoles and 360 and PS2. I would have both for a little bit and than just one of them for longer. It was really a bad obsession I had. I had like 5 Xboxes, 5 PS2s, 3 360s (one red ringed of cours), and 2 PS3s. Than for like 3 years straight I had nothing and than bought a slim PS4 which I had since 2016. I of course just bought a fat PS2 again and some classic games for them. and I'm thinking about buying a used Xbox original but maybe not since the Xbone is backward compatible. I do like watching youtube videos of peoples huge collections and game rooms. I'm no way that type of collector but I poured a lot of money down the tube.

headninjadog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 headninjadog

And speaking of gaming magazines - Oh god! About 2 years ago I sold my whole PLAY magazine collection which was the last of my gaming mags. Nostalgia made me buy just recently, a bunch of Official Playstation Mags from 2000-2006 and with demos. I also just bought like more PLAY mags. Typing this out makes me feel a bit better. I know others are like me as I can see in this thread. It's funny that I get nostalgic about 6th gen gaming and I was already an adult by that time in my 20s.

With my PS4, I have no physical copies of games and don't plan on picking any up and if PS5 is fully backward compatible I'm putting my PS2 away but not selling it. I hope I don't waste money or at least stop playing games by the time 2020 rolls around. :)

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

All I still have is a good collection of big box pc games, a Wii U dream collection I might sell someday, and my current gen stuff. The rest I just do with pc emulation and don’t have the storage space for any more. I’ve pretty much gone digital these days.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22389 Posts

In the past, I haven't kept most of my old consoles/games (which I regret big time!). I wish I'd kept some of my old consoles/handhelds like Sega Master System, Xbox & Gameboy Colour/Advance. And I missed Gamecube so much that I bought a second-hand one about a year ago, which is awesome and still heaps of fun. I definitely want to keep that (and maybe buy a GB Advance). I also have slowly built up a small collection of my fav old OG Xbox games.

As for current systems, not sure. It depends on backward compatibility I guess. So I doubt I'd keep my XB1X (won't need it), but Switch I might have to keep.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4240 Posts

I don’t think so it’s all I have for entertainment as I don’t watch TV. Besides listening to the radio while driving, or swimming in summertime.

TruSake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 TruSake
Member since 2005 • 502 Posts

I'll be buried with it.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7265 Posts

I regret selling my sega Saturn and collection of about 50 games. I look at the prices of the games today and feel sick.

GlideWorm396

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GlideWorm396
Member since 2019 • 6 Posts

I only had like one console and some games for it and I sold them off quite some years ago. I just prefer pc gaming and I don't like the clutter that having many consoles and physical copies brings.

Rei_Ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Rei_Ka
Member since 2019 • 21 Posts

I tried to sell it because I was low on cash. But in the end, I couldn't do it. For some dumb reason, the physical copies I have are precious to me... even if I have sold them already.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I have sold my consoles and games before only to later buy them back. I have been through 9 Super Nintendo consoles since it's 1991 debut.

So I will hold on to my consoles now. I will be glad that I did if all digital videogame distribution takes hold.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

@headninjadog said:

When I first got really into them, I had just graduated college and bought myself an Xbox in 2002 as a gift. than that summer I bought a PS2. I had a lot of the popular games and some rare games too that when I go on ebay I see what they are selling for and want to kick myself.

You are actually luckier than some of us in that the nostlagia for the PS2 and Xbox hasn't gone too crazy just yet, so the prices for games on those consoles haven't reached the insane levels that games from the 90s have reached.

The PS2 has been by far the cheapest console for me to reaquire my old games for with the most I've had to pay being about $60 for a game; not too bad. But I've had to spend over $100+ a piece to reaquire many of my games from consoles from the 90s in great condition when I had previously sold them for just a few bucks before the nostalgia for those consoles skyrocketed. And some rare games like Sunset Riders, I've had to spend over $300 for.

I'd recommend rebuying all of your old favorite PS2 and Xbox games right now as I expect that the nostalgia for those consoles will really kick into high gear over the next few years as the people that grew up with those consoles reach the age where they start having plenty of disposable income and start feeling nostalgic for their youth which will send the prices skyrocketing like has already happened for games on consoles from the 90s.

headninjadog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 headninjadog

@storm_of_swords:That's true about the 90s games vs 2000s games' prices. My rarest game I had on PS2 was Robot Alchemic Drive - which goes for around 90-100 brand new. I also had Cy Girls which I just bought again and didn't open because I hear that's expensive brand new. I didn't have Rule Of ROse or Haunting Ground and they go for an astronomical price right now. Now that I hear about backwards compatibility for PS5, I'm actually thinking many classics will be available digitally which gets me a bit excited but I also like having original hardware as well. Such a conundrum.

edomingox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 edomingox
Member since 2003 • 45 Posts

You don't do a thing like that. Just like you don't sell your turbo charged Dodge Neon.

Avatar image for ia_retro_gamer_dad
IA_Retro_Gamer_Dad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 IA_Retro_Gamer_Dad
Member since 2019 • 23 Posts

I still have my original NES and Genesis. Been buying a ton of NES games lately too. I like having physical copies over digital. Feels a lot cooler to see it sitting on a shelf and stuff. Plus, if I fall on hard times I can sell them.. Can't really sell digital games legally. Haha. It is nice to have digital ones in case the physical ones get too damaged.