Do You Think Games Should Have Philosophy/Politics/Propaganda?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ImBananas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 ImBananas
Member since 2009 • 1793 Posts

GGD, what's your opinion on the above in video games? There have been plenty of games that used them and were great, but some used them and were horrible, but what do you guys think about it?

I think games should have them just for a better story that people could relate to, that people could really think about, Splinter Cell is deeply based on politics and propaganda, and that makes it intriguing and keeps the game tense to the point that sometimes everything's turning around. Metal Gear Solid is full of philosophy, politics, and like SC, propaganda, this series always keeps you on your toes with the plot twists and the confusion, not everything turns out like it was, what you once knew could've been a lie and the truth was revealed, but the supposed truth could've been just another lie to fool you even more, the enemy could've been your closest friend, your cloesest friend could've been the enemy, they use them for the surprise.

I KNOW there are plenty more, but what are your opinions on games including this?

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Sure, as long as it's not overused, and people don't take it seriously. Just about anything that might add to a games expierence is ok by me.

xxKai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 xxKai
Member since 2011 • 2689 Posts

I don't think games should ever have a limit on what they should have on them. That doesn't mean you can just put anything on a game though

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts
Yeah, a lot of FPS have political propagandas in them. Not that I care... Not that anybody cares... It's all good in moderate quantities.
rossmark22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rossmark22
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Games are games and not real life. So, it's alright that they have some things like this that can make it exciting. Just don't overdo it though.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Philosphy - Sure, that'd be awesome.

Politics & propaganda - Ehhhhh I don't know...

Avatar image for deactivated-57f6810aefea1
deactivated-57f6810aefea1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 deactivated-57f6810aefea1
Member since 2009 • 497 Posts
It is not whether a game should have it or not. I think that if its appropriate to the game, then by all means include it. At the end of the day a game is not going to be judged on how much it teaches/indoctrinates you about politics or philosophy (unless thats the point of the game) but how much enjoyment you get out of it and how good the gameplay is.
DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#8 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

Philosophy? Sure, as long as it doesn't get too pretentious. Cryostasis is a very good example of philosophy in a game done right.

Politics & propaganda? A lot of games already have these elements. Games such as Modern Warfare and Medal of Honor already reflect upon current political events, or speculate on what is yet to come. In this sense they are also propaganda. Not in the sense of willfull manipulation, but in the sense that they reflect the current political Zeitgeist of the Western world and have the capacity to influence people's perspective on this, intentionally or not.

Avatar image for Victorious_Fize
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Victorious_Fize
Member since 2011 • 6128 Posts
As long as it doesn't relate to real life, then definitely yes. Fictional politics and propagandist settings can make a game extremely tense. But, if you're bringing Obama to the table, then it's just one big fat: NO!
shadow13702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shadow13702
Member since 2008 • 1791 Posts

Philiosophy is great and makes the story better for games. Political events I really don't care about same as propaganda.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

They can hint at philosophy but a game is first and should be about entertaining. Even then it should not be a main focus on the game.

for politics and propaganda they are really the same thing and there already too much of it.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

No, games are entertainment products (i.e. ment for fun) and should be kept non-political and not advertise products too much. But if it does include politics it should be an intelligent take on them not a one-sided propaganda. I don't have problems playing propaganda games if they're free however (like America's Army).

ImBananas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ImBananas

Wow, this came off to a good start for once.

I'm just saying about the quantities of them, I, like you guys, enjoy games that use them in a certain amount. Sometimes games will actually make you think hard about what it had said, and that's always something developers would like, because if you think about what the game has said and like it, that might increase your opinion on the game and more people would buy it. I, overall, think they should all be used in a certain quantity.

Lord_Nuclear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lord_Nuclear
Member since 2007 • 251 Posts

I think it really helps create a sense of reality in a storyline, as long as it is for the storyline and isn't an attempt to affect real-life politics (like supporting or taking shots at a political figure to help or hurt them).

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
They should use w/e makes the story/game better...the end
xxKai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xxKai
Member since 2011 • 2689 Posts

Well the thing is, you gotta know first all perspectives of this game, that way you're not swayed into whatever truths are in it, if you know where you stand in the story then you shouldn't really worry about the game's story having any effect on you as a person. On the other hand, I do agree with the other posts that putting these things in the game make the game much much more interesting, like I said it's all about perspective, from the main character's view, and it pulls you into the game

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Forgot to say I have no problems with games that use satire as a means of a criticism (like the Postal games) either.

arbitor365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 arbitor365
Member since 2009 • 2726 Posts

**** yeah. I want games to be more pretentious. because that's how I roll

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#19 Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts
I honestly don't think games are going to be considered a legitimate medium until they start to have serious messages. Many movies, books, tv shows have philosophical or political messages. Of course not all games need messages, but developers and publishers don't need to be afraid to say something in their games. When they come under media scrutiny, they need to stand up for their message instead of backing down and changing the game or canceling it.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#20 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

As long as it's not in your face with it, I say go for it.

_BlueDuck_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 _BlueDuck_
Member since 2003 • 11986 Posts

Absolutely. If games want to be considered an art form they need to have some kind of deeper meaning and message. Stories need to be more than "hey here's something that happened". Just like anything though it has to be done properly and not all franchises/genres are appropriate for it.

dylan35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 dylan35
Member since 2006 • 789 Posts

i would most definitly yes !!!! the problem lies in fundamentalist christianism=nazi ism Republicans trying to infiltrate the minds of the free !!!!!!!

would love to have xbox 360 players VS PS3 player matches!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 c who's better!!!!

ImBananas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ImBananas

I think the same as some of you, if it's not in your face then it's used just the right way most of the time.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#24 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Yes they should. I like how they're implemented in games like The Witcher 2 and Dragon Age 2. Templars vs Mages (DA2), Humans vs Nonhumans (TW2). In the middle of it all, is a war outbreak. A lot of political propaganda in the mist. I love it. :D
Mawy_Golomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mawy_Golomb
Member since 2008 • 1047 Posts
Here's an original idea (somewhat political, philosophical, if you will) that is based on fiction: Secularism is in decline, as religion (Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Baha'i Faith, etc.), once again, begins to take over the media, politics, culture, etc. Hmmm...it would seem like a nightmare to some people, but not a bad idea, even if it would spark some controversy. Why should one always focus on the past for portraying religion when it could still have some use in the future?
Kuroda99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Kuroda99
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

What is the propaganda in Metal Gear Solid? Is it the Outer Heaven thing?

ImBananas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ImBananas

What is the propaganda in Metal Gear Solid? Is it the Outer Heaven thing?

Kuroda99
Metal Gear Solid's propaganda consists of what the metal gear can do and the purpose it's used for, despite the fact that it was approved by officials, it was all a ploy and the enemies use it for their advantage, leaving the main character to fix the mistake, you know how Otacon developed the metal gear in metal gear solid? I'd say that the fact that it had nukes in it that were to be used to destroy any place that they like would be its propaganda. But I can't say you're wrong on Outer Heaven, that might as well have some propaganda in it too, since it was an "Army's Heaven."
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wiouds

The problem I have is many stories that just suck because they force too much Philosophy/Politics/Propaganda into it.

rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 rastotm
Member since 2011 • 1380 Posts
I wouldn't like to see such things in more casually oriented games, Homefront had such a serious perspective to it but the gameplay was heavy overkill and destroyed the setting and story. Aspects like Philosophy/Politics/Propaganda need a specific type of gameplay and setting IMO
ImBananas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ImBananas
[QUOTE="rastotm"]I wouldn't like to see such things in more casually oriented games, Homefront had such a serious perspective to it but the gameplay was heavy overkill and destroyed the setting and story. Aspects like Philosophy/Politics/Propaganda need a specific type of gameplay and setting IMO

I've gotta say, that really makes sense, propaganda doesn't need to be a certain genre, it needs a specific gameplay and setting to be right, I'm tracking your account because of that, some games are better with propaganda and some aren't.
67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
It's been said that art imitates life, so it seems perfectly reasonable to me...
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Sure, as long as it benefits the gameplay is some sort of meaningful way. I think Bioshock is a great example.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#33 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

well, statements shouldnt be shoehorned into a game thats only meant to be entertainment. theres nothing wrong with a game that just wants to be fun.

there should definitely be a place in gaming for serious statements too. however, it irks me a bit when the message is only superficially implemented. "heres a cutscene about the costs of war. now go have fun shooting nazis in the face! ****ing fascists!"

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#34 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
Yes. It's one of the main reasons I love the Metal Gear Solid series.
DeanG642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#35 DeanG642
Member since 2009 • 595 Posts
Philosophy? Hell yeah. Gaming sure could use an injection of philosophy, perhaps give the game a deeper meaning.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 wiouds

All the messages in a game or any other story is for the reader/wachter/player to come to.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#37 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

I think those things can be well-done in a game. My favorite example is the Mass Effect series. It has an entire universe of political, social, economic, ethical, and religious systems.

Mawy_Golomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mawy_Golomb
How about a game about metaphysics? Or epistemology? Ontology? Or perhaps one about Frederich Nietzsche and his views on society? Games shouldn't have to be too limited in their scopes.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
You could say philosophy is a part of any story with characters. Video games, movies, books, anything. So, yes. Politics kind of go hand in hand with philosophy. So, same answer. As far as propaganda, if it adds to the story, I don't see a problem with it. I mean, if the purpose of the propaganda is to progress the story or involve the player more.
Ricardo41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ricardo41
Member since 2002 • 1046 Posts

The writing in most video games is so weak and juvenile, I just wish developers would put a basic story together that doesn't rely on cliches and tired old gimmicks. (

Playing recent games, you'd think most developers never read a book in their lives.

Just look at Bioshock. I bet the developers were mighty pleased with themselves for having constructed a "philosophical world". While they were bro-hugging each other, they forgot to make a game that's actually worth playing.

Clive Barker, Warren Spector - these are guys who know how to tell a smart and engaging story.

Today's game developers can't look further than the 140 characters of their twitter feeds.

Ricardo41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ricardo41
Member since 2002 • 1046 Posts

How about a game about metaphysics? Or epistemology? Ontology? Or perhaps one about Frederich Nietzsche and his views on society? Games shouldn't have to be too limited in their scopes.Mawy_Golomb

Interesting thought. Would require a generation of game developers not raised on comic books, Pacman, SuperMarioBros, and greasy bags of Doritos.

Dgalmun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 Dgalmun
Member since 2009 • 16266 Posts
Yeah, it should use them. Makes the plot interesting and tense, but it shouldn't be overused or relate to real life.
Mawy_Golomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mawy_Golomb

[QUOTE="Mawy_Golomb"]How about a game about metaphysics? Or epistemology? Ontology? Or perhaps one about Frederich Nietzsche and his views on society? Games shouldn't have to be too limited in their scopes.Ricardo41

Interesting thought. Would require a generation of game developers not raised on comic books, Pacman, SuperMarioBros, and greasy bags of Doritos.

Yep. Oh, and I am currently taking a Science Fiction course as one of my classes in DeVry, so I thought, "what about all of the different scientific ideas that haven't been utilized enough?" Why not dive into things like Scrodinger's String Theory? Or Parallel universes? A lot of scientific ideas could also use some exploring in games. I don't think that I've heard of many games involving evolution, the Big Bang Theory, or Social Darwinism. So, yeah, lots of ideas have yet to be executed.

And, maybe, just maybe, using these ideas for more than just shooters or RPGs. I know that adventure games might need fresher stories and gameplay, so why not apply it to this genre? Such ideas should apply to all genres, but I feel that the ones being largely ignored deserve to be the center of attention.

Avatar image for Resultsmayvary0
Resultsmayvary0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Resultsmayvary0
Member since 2011 • 98 Posts
I loved the Ayn Rand theme that BioShock had going for it, I thought it added a lot to the game.
ImBananas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ImBananas

[QUOTE="Mawy_Golomb"]How about a game about metaphysics? Or epistemology? Ontology? Or perhaps one about Frederich Nietzsche and his views on society? Games shouldn't have to be too limited in their scopes.Ricardo41

But wasn't that like everyone except the bro gamers and most kids these days? I like all of those and was raised on them (I wasn't really raised on comic books, though), but I'm still convinced that a storyline is one of the most important things, I'm not bragging, but I guess I could create a good story, many people would be better, but it would be OK I guess.