Do you hate anything about the game Guitar Hero???

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AnalogOdyssey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 0

#1 AnalogOdyssey
Member since 2007 • 746 Posts
I think the game is good... The only thing that I hate about it is when people compare guitar hero to playing real guitar they are different playing real guitar is harder... Another is that when the songs are playing I wish they could have gotten the real bands to sing the songs instead of cover artists... Other than that the game is fun and cool at parties.... Do you hate anything about the game or have any criticisms about it???
French023

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 French023
Member since 2005 • 1291 Posts

GH3 is fixing the cover part. Im pretty sure about 15 songs are real. The thing i dont like is that there arent that many playable characters (even though the ones that are there are awesome) and the graphics just annoy me.... not that you see them much i just cant stand watching the game though

strat505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 strat505
Member since 2006 • 1252 Posts

There's nothing wrong with the game. But there are some people who tend to get picky with me, saying things like "i'm crazy at guitar hero, i could pWn real guitar too," when they don't even know basic music theory. After putting several years of practice into playing real guitar, it urges me to slap them in the face.

Again, absolutely nothing wrong with the game, it is a game and meant to be taken seriously as a game. Its fun and does well as what it aims for. Its just the big-headed people who think they can be prodigal at the guitar if they're good at guitar hero.

Dopemonk736

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Dopemonk736
Member since 2006 • 2731 Posts
some songs are actually harder than the real song in guitar hero, because in GH you can't use the same techniques as you could in real life, i.e. picking.
salty5674

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 salty5674
Member since 2006 • 927 Posts
i hate everything about it, stupid game
Fortier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Fortier
Member since 2004 • 7728 Posts

Nobody credible thinks GH is comparable to real guitar...

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HandsomeDead
Member since 2006 • 596 Posts
The only thing I found wrong with the game is the tracklist. GH had a great and quite balanced track list, but there was far too much boring metal on GH II.
bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts
i hate how the tracklist is mostly lowest denominator karaoke rock, but i guess it has to be that way.
mosa922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11 mosa922
Member since 2007 • 749 Posts
I dont mind it, i think it gives people confindence because alot of people cant playthe guitar. But it's still a bit pathetic, beacuse the first game looks like it was made for little kids, but now it's for anyone.
jjj13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#12 jjj13
Member since 2005 • 2399 Posts
Only 5 frets.
mathew952

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 mathew952
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts

" Dude You am So girlie little babie! Learn to play RL guitar!!!!!!" Sure, I should drain 3000 on a guitar, amps, and lessons, and 100's hours in practice, rather than spend 90 dolars for a game that is fun. I play it because It's fun, not because I want to learn how to play.

Oh, and Tunnel vision.

Epoq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Epoq
Member since 2005 • 1197 Posts
The plastic characters make the game painful to look at when watching someone else play.
Avatar image for instantdeath999
instantdeath999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 instantdeath999
Member since 2007 • 3470 Posts
I hate the cover versions, thats pretty much it.
dchan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 dchan01
Member since 2002 • 2768 Posts

The only thing I found wrong with the game is the tracklist. GH had a great and quite balanced track list, but there was far too much boring metal on GH II.HandsomeDead

I agree. The skewing towards metal in GHII was a very bad move. Luckily, Rock the 80's fixed all that.

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3119 Posts
The only thing I don't like is that I can see GH becoming a yearly song update with little to no signficant game features added and charging full price for it *cough, Madden, cough*
masori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 masori
Member since 2005 • 1680 Posts
i hate that they are trying stole our money in the XBL marketplace
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
I hate the cover versions, thats pretty much it. instantdeath999
Same here, everything else is cool.
dchan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dchan01
Member since 2002 • 2768 Posts

[QUOTE="instantdeath999"]I hate the cover versions, thats pretty much it. GodModeEnabled
Same here, everything else is cool.

It's funny. I've heard some of the covers so many times that the real versions now sound wrong to me.

phoenyx9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 phoenyx9
Member since 2006 • 2444 Posts

I just don't care to play it. I have a degree in Music my main instrument is guitar. If I'm going to spend time doing music I'd rather make my own.

I can see how it is fun as a game for people who can't play. I'll never be a baseball player but I love MLB 06 the show, I'll never be a gangster but I love GTA.

What is sad to me is that the with the time and money people put into playing this game they could actually buy and learn how to play guitar. A Starter pack with either an electric or acoustic guitar plus accessories can usually be purchased for about $199. One GH game and a couple controllers will run you more than that.

It's like Bono from U2 said all you need to make rock and roll are: "a red guitar three chords and the truth". It only takes a couple hours or less to pick up a guitar and learn three chords and thus make music.

HappyProzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 HappyProzak
Member since 2005 • 515 Posts

I just don't care to play it. I have a degree in Music my main instrument is guitar. If I'm going to spend time doing music I'd rather make my own.

I can see how it is fun as a game for people who can't play. I'll never be a baseball player but I love MLB 06 the show, I'll never be a gangster but I love GTA.

What is sad to me is that the with the time and money people put into playing this game they could actually buy and learn how to play guitar. A Starter pack with either an electric or acoustic guitar plus accessories can usually be purchased for about $199. One GH game and a couple controllers will run you more than that.

It's like Bono from U2 said all you need to make rock and roll are: "a red guitar three chords and the truth". It only takes a couple hours or less to pick up a guitar and learn three chords and thus make music.

phoenyx9

I know guitars get better all the time as manufacturers compete with each other, but those 200 dollar starter guitars (as far as I can remember) are pretty crappy instruments, and seeing as how you're a music major I'm a little surprised to see you recommending them, but maybe they've gotten better since the last time I checked. The problem of course being the action on some of those guitars being so high that it makes it more difficult to play than it should be.

I think people would be better off investing a little more money into a decent guitar, or simply buying a used guitar. Usually when you buy used, you can resell it and get all of your money back in case you decide guitar isn't for you.

With that said, I think gamers as a group tend to lean more toward the lazy side. Video games are easy to pick up and reward you with instant gratification, while something like playing a real instrument offers you more gratification, but it takes time. So yeah, video games are like sex, its fast, easy and anyone can do it.

MoldOnHold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 MoldOnHold
Member since 2005 • 11760 Posts
Bleh. Too pricey on my part.
phoenyx9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 phoenyx9
Member since 2006 • 2444 Posts

Not all guitar starter packs are created equal. The yamaha, ibanez or fender acoustic guitars are decent, and if the action is too high often when you purchase it the store will set it up for free, or cheap. The squire strat is also a good starter electric guitar and because it's a fender it has a decent resale value.

I would never recommend these guitars to a connoisseur, but I worked in a music store for a while. When people are starting a new hobby it can be daunting, and you don't want to go blow $1000 on a nice instrument that potentially will end up collecting dust. If the person tries out the yamaha or squire strat and they like playing guitar, then they can sell it and upgrade if they are wanting a more quaiity instrument.

HappyProzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HappyProzak
Member since 2005 • 515 Posts

Not all guitar starter packs are created equal. The yamaha, ibanez or fender acoustic guitars are decent, and if the action is too high often when you purchase it the store will set it up for free, or cheap. The squire strat is also a good starter electric guitar and because it's a fender it has a decent resale value.

I would never recommend these guitars to a connoisseur, but I worked in a music store for a while. When people are starting a new hobby it can be daunting, and you don't want to go blow $1000 on a nice instrument that potentially will end up collecting dust. If the person tries out the yamaha or squire strat and they like playing guitar, then they can sell it and upgrade if they are wanting a more quaiity instrument.

phoenyx9

You don't have to spend 1k to get a decent guitar. It's been a while since I've looked at guitars, but I want to say you can get a very good starter guitar for $400 used and if you take care of it and not abuse it then that used guitar should hold its value pretty well and it'll be nice enough that you won't have to upgrade unless you really want to.

And when I first started playing guitar and I bought a crappy instrument, the music store didn't set it up. Maybe if I had asked, but I didn't know any better. My friend bought a guitar that had absolutely ridiculous action, and he paid around $400. And the guitar store didn't set it up either, but he didn't know any better either. I'm sure these stores are aware of what goes on but they only care about making a sale, at least that has been my experience from the stores I've bought from.

james28893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 james28893
Member since 2007 • 3252 Posts
Besides being utterly incapable of doing hammer-ons and pull-offs I only wish you could buy the songs separately rather than in packs, cos I only want smoke on the water and the ace of spades.
Greyhound222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Greyhound222
Member since 2005 • 2899 Posts
[QUOTE="phoenyx9"]

HappyProzak

You don't have to spend 1k to get a decent guitar. It's been a while since I've looked at guitars, but I want to say you can get a very good starter guitar for $400 used and if you take care of it and not abuse it then that used guitar should hold its value pretty well and it'll be nice enough that you won't have to upgrade unless you really want to.

And when I first started playing guitar and I bought a crappy instrument, the music store didn't set it up. Maybe if I had asked, but I didn't know any better. My friend bought a guitar that had absolutely ridiculous action, and he paid around $400. And the guitar store didn't set it up either, but he didn't know any better either. I'm sure these stores are aware of what goes on but they only care about making a sale, at least that has been my experience from the stores I've bought from.

You're right.I owned a Squier and it's actually pretty good qualtiy,though the treble strings are a little too tinny and twangy.I've only played guitar a year and a half,and it's pretty easy to start,and no,I'm not just playing Nirvana songs.More like old-school Red Hot Chili Peppers,Metallica,Guns n' Roses and Pearl Jam.More intermediate stuff.Though I still thoroughly enjoy GH.
orion350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 orion350
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Plain and simple GH is a generic game for cover wannabe's to impliment a so-called desire to play fictitious guitar rythms and harmonics.

I am truly repulsed by this game, the plastic toy guitar and what it represents. do yourself a favor. if you desire to play or create music even for fun.visit your local pawnshop pick up a viable instument for cheap and theneccessary equipment and discover what true music is all about.

"NO WAY TO HIDE FROM THE TRUTH AND REALITY. STRINGING A CHORD. BEATING A DRUM OR VOCALIZING THE RAPTURE OF YOUR BREATH CANNOT BE SIMULATED!!"

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

Nah, I'd rather play a game. There's achievements and leaderboards too!

four_of_clubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 four_of_clubs
Member since 2005 • 4474 Posts

I hate how many annoying, cliche 70s and 80s songs there are... I hate music from before the 90's era.

I want more modern music!

Sushbag88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Sushbag88
Member since 2005 • 403 Posts

All the punk/emo songs.

nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nosferatu
Member since 2002 • 4292 Posts

You mean besides that I just suck at it?

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#33 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts
[QUOTE="phoenyx9"]

HappyProzak

I know guitars get better all the time as manufacturers compete with each other, but those 200 dollar starter guitars (as far as I can remember) are pretty crappy instruments, and seeing as how you're a music major I'm a little surprised to see you recommending them, but maybe they've gotten better since the last time I checked. The problem of course being the action on some of those guitars being so high that it makes it more difficult to play than it should be.

I think people would be better off investing a little more money into a decent guitar, or simply buying a used guitar. Usually when you buy used, you can resell it and get all of your money back in case you decide guitar isn't for you.

With that said, I think gamers as a group tend to lean more toward the lazy side. Video games are easy to pick up and reward you with instant gratification, while something like playing a real instrument offers you more gratification, but it takes time. So yeah, video games are like sex, its fast, easy and anyone can do it.

:lol:

Ahem....*cough cough*

Great post.

I myself could care less about learning to play the real guitar, as I don't care to suffer carpel tunnel syndrome in twenty years, among other reasons. The piano is much more elegant and easier on the ears, IMO.

Anyhow, about gamers being lazy: while this may apply to the nature of gaming in general, GH seems to be a game that takes quite a lot of effort and practice to truly excel and become proficient at the highest levels of play. It is one of the few games out there that I can think of that requires real time investment to get the most out of it. At the lowest difficulty, it makes the player feel like they are doing something extraordinary for basically doing next to nothing. I'd say it caters to all audiences: those that desire a quick fix, and those that want to dedicate their time to improvement.

It more than likely doesn't take as much practice as a real guitar to become good at (at least I would imagine it doesn't as I don't play guitar),but practice is absolutely something that is required in GH to really get any real enjoyment out of it.

Unlike sex. :)

Aboabdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Aboabdo
Member since 2006 • 139 Posts
Rock the 80's reminds me of EA rip off game expansions.
SolidSnaku401

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SolidSnaku401
Member since 2007 • 139 Posts
The fact that you are paying full price for a game that has cover bands play the songs. I don't want to hear a song that was "made famous by", I want to hear the actual band play it. Otherwise it just feels cheap and lame. Still fun nontheless.
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
[QUOTE="HappyProzak"][QUOTE="phoenyx9"]

Rekunta

Ahem....*cough cough*

Great post.

I myself could care less about learning to play the real guitar, as I don't care to suffer carpel tunnel syndrome in twenty years, among other reasons. The piano is much more elegant and easier on the ears, IMO.

Anyhow, about gamers being lazy: while this may apply to the nature of gaming in general, GH seems to be a game that takes quite a lot of effort and practice to truly excel and become proficient at the highest levels of play. It is one of the few games out there that I can think of that requires real time investment to get the most out of it. At the lowest difficulty, it makes the player feel like they are doing something extraordinary for basically doing next to nothing. I'd say it caters to all audiences: those that desire a quick fix, and those that want to dedicate their time to improvement.

It more than likely doesn't take as much practice as a real guitar to become good at (at least I would imagine it doesn't as I don't play guitar),but practice is absolutely something that is required in GH to really get any real enjoyment out of it.

Are you saying it takes more practice to get good at GH then real guitar. Good sir gtfo. When I started playing GH it was on medium I don't even own the game and now I can play expert. It's just a simple rhythm game and nothing more. Which takes more practice getting 100% on a GH song on expert or playing lets say little wing perfectly.
Oyeoyeoye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Oyeoyeoye
Member since 2007 • 479 Posts
[QUOTE="Rekunta"][QUOTE="HappyProzak"][QUOTE="phoenyx9"]

achilles614

Ahem....*cough cough*

Great post.

Are you saying it takes more practice to get good at GH then real guitar. Good sir gtfo. When I started playing GH it was on medium I don't even own the game and now I can play expert. It's just a simple rhythm game and nothing more. Which takes more practice getting 100% on a GH song on expert or playing lets say little wing perfectly.

If your going to make a rebuttal to his post, read the whole thing before making an *** of yourself.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#38 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts
[QUOTE="Rekunta"][QUOTE="HappyProzak"][QUOTE="phoenyx9"]

achilles614

Ahem....*cough cough*

Great post.

Are you blind? Did you miss where I said "It more than likely doesn't take as much practice as a real guitar to become good at it". I honestly don't know how much time is required to become skilled at playing guitar; what I do know is that to become good at GH on it's highest level requires practice......and just because it came naturally to you doesn't mean it does to all. If it did, there wouldn't be all the YouTube videos out there of people playing on expert.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
[QUOTE="achilles614"][QUOTE="Rekunta"][QUOTE="HappyProzak"][QUOTE="phoenyx9"]

Are you blind? Did you miss where I said "It more than likely doesn't take as much practice as a real guitar to become good at it". I honestly don't know how much time is required to become skilled at playing guitar; what I do know is that to become good at GH on it's highest level requires practice......and just because it came naturally to you doesn't mean it does to all. If it did, there wouldn't be all the YouTube videos out there of people playing on expert.

Rekunta
lol sorry I didn't see that now I look like an ass. I thought you said the opposite.
Oyeoyeoye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Oyeoyeoye
Member since 2007 • 479 Posts
[QUOTE="Rekunta"][QUOTE="achilles614"][QUOTE="Rekunta"][QUOTE="HappyProzak"][QUOTE="phoenyx9"]

achilles614

lol sorry I didn't see that now I look like an ass. I thought you said the opposite.

Haha, what I tell ya?

towie777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 towie777
Member since 2007 • 162 Posts
the game is great though some of the songs in GHII were pretty lame.
stjimmy222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#42 stjimmy222
Member since 2007 • 288 Posts
The only thing to complain about to me is the set list...which isn't even that bad. But the main reason I'm posting is for all that people who think playing guitar hero makes them good at ACTUAL guitar. Two words. SecondWORD is OFF. Figure the rest out yourself
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Yeah, some covers are not that good and I would love some more emphasis on the classics. Otherwise, top stuff.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19c359a3789
deactivated-5b19c359a3789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5b19c359a3789
Member since 2002 • 7785 Posts
Not enough real metal (thrash sucks), but I'm sure everyone has songs they'd rather see on it.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
There's nothing really challenging about the game. All the "hard" songs are just messy. Now that I've started playing DJMAX and Beatmania, I can see what truly challenging rhythm games are about.
67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
I hate the fact that I fekking suck at it... watching some 9-year-old on you-tube play 'Psychobilly Freakout' on expert without missing a note confirms it...
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#47 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
The specs for the PC version suck
HATtrick14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 HATtrick14
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

the way they try to recreate the songs. They butcher them. listen to the original wolfmothe song woman and then compare ut to GH2s and you will see that they have ruined it just like what kids bop does to some really good songs.