Digital Distribution the future? No thanks.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

As of late I keep hearing a lot of talk about how digital distribution is set to overtake physical media sooner or later, and as a gamer who is also a collector of video games I take issue with that. I'm not going to regurgitate information you've all read somewhere else, because we all know the pros and cons of dd at this point. My question is this: Am I in the minority in my perspective on the necessity of physical media? How many of you share my sentiments on the issue?

Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts

I don't buy much digital distribution, maybe a few pc games. But yeah I am with you. I am a small collector, and I don't like the concept of everything being downloaded.

spinoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#3 spinoff
Member since 2003 • 2279 Posts

Most people probably still prefer physical copies given the option, but I believe game developers eventually won't even give you the option. Either you buy the digital copy or you don't play the game. The ability to bypass retailers and save money on packaging and shipping will be too much of an incentive for them not to do so.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#4 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I was completely opposed to the idea of digital distribution until Steam started getting it right. With their offline mode and the ubiquity of internet access its DRM isn't invasive in any way, and you can freely redownload games you've deleted or copy them to make backups that are instantly reinstalled upon copying them back into the Steam folder. Consoles have a ways to go before they get it right, as you can't make your own backups and there's no guarantee you'll be able to use anything you've purchased on the 360/PS3/Wii on each company's next console. Steam has the benefit of the openness of the PC platform.
Dreamerdude26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Dreamerdude26
Member since 2005 • 432 Posts
Although I like having physical copies of games, it would be pretty cool if the day a game released it downloaded to your console immediately and was ready to go. So while I am still a little skeptical, I could see it becoming a very cool thing.
bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#6 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
I agree although steam has got it right, but I wouldn't worry about the consoles for awhile.
Oniresurrect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#7 Oniresurrect
Member since 2003 • 968 Posts

The thing that is going to keep hard copies of games out there is players' lack of want to connect. I know its odd but there are people that still never connect there games to the net and even some that do not have a connection. although its far fetched and may not be believable but those customers are still money and well there more likely to buy games over all if they have less to do with each game (no multiplayer out side there home, no DLC,) .

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

I was completely opposed to the idea of digital distribution until Steam started getting it right. With their offline mode and the ubiquity of internet access its DRM isn't invasive in any way, and you can freely redownload games you've deleted or copy them to make backups that are instantly reinstalled upon copying them back into the Steam folder. Consoles have a ways to go before they get it right, as you can't make your own backups and there's no guarantee you'll be able to use anything you've purchased on the 360/PS3/Wii on each company's next console. Steam has the benefit of the openness of the PC platform.DJ_Lae

Oh, you are most definitely right. Steam is genius. I don't even buy physical copies of PC games anymore. I'm mostly talking about console gaming, which we seem to agree on. Thing is, unless one of the big three steps up to the plate and makes some revolutionary move to change the way console gaming works, DD won't ever fit very well IMO. This whole five to ten year console lifetime format isn't very friendly to something like that.

Plus, to keep all of the games you'd want from each generation for future play, you'd have a lot of hard drives laying around. :P

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44322 Posts

I like having digital distribution around for things like the Wii's Virtual Console, XBLA, PSN, and for hard to find games that are out of print but when given the opportunity I will always choose the physical copy over the digital one even if that means having to much more for it. I don't like to do without the box, disk, or manual and I just really like taking the shrink-wrap off of a new game.

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

I'll take the physical copies for the consoles, thanks. But I'll admit that I've downloaded the majority of mygames onthe PSP.

Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

I'll take the physical copies for the consoles, thanks. But I'll admit that I've downloaded the majority of my games on the PSP.

Pixel-Perfect

I'll take physical copies over downloads for consoles, handhelds, & PC games. What would happen when all the servers, HDD's, etc., gets completely broken &/or shut down one day? Or what happens when your favorite company goes bankrupt? Plus back-ups aren't exactly a guarantee.

I only like DD when it's optional, not mandatory.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

[QUOTE="Pixel-Perfect"]

I'll take the physical copies for the consoles, thanks. But I'll admit that I've downloaded the majority of my games on the PSP.

garland51

I'll take physical copies over downloads for consoles, handhelds, & PC games. What would happen when all the servers, HDD's, etc., gets completely broken &/or shut down one day? Or what happens when your favorite company goes bankrupt? Plus back-ups aren't exactly a guarantee.

I only like DD when it's optional, not mandatory.

The day that happens is probably so far down the line that you won't even be thinking about those games. How long has Steam been going now?
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44322 Posts

I also really, really like knowing that I can get something for physical copies of games from trading them in, selling them, or trading/lending to friends/family if I ever choose to do so.

whisperingmute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 whisperingmute
Member since 2006 • 1116 Posts

The so calle "era of Digital Distribution" probably won't occur for some significant amount of time. Sure, Steam is a wonderful service that is provided for PC Gamers, but what I would like to know:

• How many PC gamers in the world actually use the service?
  • How much money do they spend, how many games, and how often do they purchase games?
  • How does the price of titles Fluxuate? Do prices go down at a reasonable amoutn of time?

I know Steam usually likes to have great special deals, but what's important are the normal pricings of titles and not "special deals" that are not always caught by consumers.

In terms of consoles, there would have to be some sort of improvements in terms of hard drive space. Not only is the amount of time you have to sit there to download the title, it's the amount of space it takes up. The pricing of hard drives would have to be reasonable to the average consumer(or allow the use of secondary business hard drives like Sony has allowed that are somewhat reasonable in todays markets).

Lastly, I find digital distribution to be a total threat to our economical system and to the gaming industry. People do not own they physical powress of owning a title and being able to do as they please with it such as the ultimate thing to do: Sell the title. But, as it may be to a threat to the industry as used titles goes, we don't actually control the prices. We are at the complete mercy of the publishers whim. Which brings more questions?

• Will the price of the titles go down because of the lack of need of having to ship and package games?

The PSPGO! is an excellent example that just isn't working. The titles are within the same exact prices as thier physical siblings. Shouldn't they be cheaper?

Digital Distribution, as much as unique as it sounds and "futuristic as it sounds", I think it won't work out as planned and both consumers, and within the gaming industry, will be hurt.

Of course, this is all just my opinion. Others will have other opinions which they're completely entitled to and will probably argue with me on several points, but I will always stand against Digital Distribution.

Aslyum_Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Aslyum_Beast
Member since 2008 • 975 Posts

Console games should stick to physical copies because people like me don't have the ol' 360 connected to teh internet all the time.

Now, for PCs, clients like Steam and their DD makes sense because it is very rare nowadays for any PC not to be connected to the internet. like 1% chance.

linkthewindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 linkthewindow
Member since 2005 • 5654 Posts
I'm with the TC. DD isn't bad (especially for Steam sales :D,) but I do prefer the security and accomplishment of owning a physical collection (I've got over 100 titles, around 40 boxes.) Also, the state of Australian internet means that DD won't be a standard until they fix that (which will be a while - our current government is implementing it's "information revolution" by censoring the Internet O.o. Our previous one thought the Internet was a toy.)
Avatar image for Cerberus_Legion
Cerberus_Legion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Cerberus_Legion
Member since 2007 • 1233 Posts

I'm with you as well, TC. In fact, the total number of hours I've spent online this generation on the PS3/360 is probably less than five hours (was exploring Home on PSN and testing out my XBL trial membership that I never used until three years into my 360's life). I collect games, and I prefer physical media to DD. Plus, download speed. I don't want to wait hours upon hours for a game to download when I can just drive up to the game store in ten minutes and purchase what I want. It's just not happening for me.

herukuti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 herukuti
Member since 2009 • 379 Posts

after the newer super computers and newer revisions of internet are complete digital distribution will be the only means of acquiring software.

roadwish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 roadwish
Member since 2005 • 425 Posts
Owning hard copy of game feel safer for me than in some server or on HDD and personally I dont like Steam in my opinion it has ruined some games by making them only available to play through steam.
wwefanforlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#21 wwefanforlife
Member since 2006 • 3248 Posts

On console I like to own a disc version I find that downloads like on the Playstation Store the publishers most times do charge way too much for a download then the price you can get it on disc. But if all games went to digital distribution and game companies stopped releasing disc versions I would be against it as that would just cause Video Game stores to go out of business and the fact is not everyone has access to the internet. I'm actually glad that Sony Europe do release certain PSN games to disc as it's always good to get a choice of a download or disc.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I'm very careful when it comes to giving out creditcard information online as it can get picked up and give people free reign to take out all my money from several accounts, Digital distribution requires you to give out Creditcard information inorder to do a purchase. In addition you require an account to store the games you've purchased and again that too can get hacked and stolen. Although Hard copies take up space and are more hassle to deal with, it is safer to hand paper money over a counter then to have a company withdraw money from your account through the internet.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#23 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

I prefer retail, but damn, Steam is just plain awesome. It's just so convenient and easy. Readily available old and niche games is a huge plus as are all the great features such as Steam Cloud. Also, Steam's unique ability to experiment with pricing makes buying games off of it irresistable sometimes.

rassklot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rassklot
Member since 2009 • 96 Posts

man.. i dont understand this **** it really pisses me off...

its like they dont even want us leaving our homes.... **** digital distribution straight up...

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

I don't know if you are in the minority with your perspective but I certainly hope you are. I don't share your sentiments on the issue.

-ICON-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -ICON-
Member since 2005 • 446 Posts
I like dd for cheaper games. Like I use steam for games like Braid and Alpha Prime and arcade shooters. But when it comes to full games like Batman AA or like L4D i like to own a copy myself. As for consoles its the same thing. Besides the consoles are terrible at DD, the PS3 is alright but the games on demand for the 360 is way to over priced and most likely will never become popular. Also like someone said, not everyone has access to high speed internet (slow downloads) or even internet at all.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Digital distribution should at least become a standard for handheld consoles, for they will then be truly portable.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#28 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Steam is great for indie developers who would have no chance of selling in retail. That said, while I prefer having a hard copy, I have no problem ordering from Steam because of all the deals that go on.
HaLoMaStErJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HaLoMaStErJT
Member since 2008 • 1380 Posts

I agree with you for the most part, I still use DD for games that are hard to get or really expensive if sold as a hard copy.

Krystyan68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Krystyan68
Member since 2009 • 359 Posts

I think there are valid points either way for DD; it's nice to just run a game of your hard-drive, but you can't trade in a digital copy; one thing I do know about it, it's here and it's going to get bigger!! :?

klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#31 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

Usually I prefer a physical copy but because of the many crazy deals on Steam I just couldn't resist.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#32 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

A lot of people prefer physcal copies.

I never buy a digial version of anything if the real thing is available. That goes for games, movies, music and anything else.

But unfortunately, the industry is pushing for it. No more rentals, used sales, lending games to friends and maybe even less pracy means they think they can make a lot more money from it. (though weather or not they can remains to be seen.)

RJay123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RJay123
Member since 2009 • 911 Posts

If you could copy a game that you downloaded onto a disc, so that you can take it over a friend's house if you wanted to, that would be ideal.

But they will probably never in a million years let us do that.