Dialog in Japanese Games....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

Explain! Please explain this to me. Why is the dialog in all japanese games so insipid, so poorly written, so useless so akward.

I really don't get it...

Name exceptions if you know them...

Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts

Translation errors

Execptions

Blazblue, Ace Attorney Series, Ghost Trick, Professor Layton.

Its spelled dialogue btw

Avatar image for 232221758161597895586965181765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 232221758161597895586965181765
Member since 2009 • 45 Posts

All japanese games have bad dialogue? That's a bit harsh. I very much doubt you have played ALL the japanese games out there...

Last Remnant? You should listen to the dialogue in that game. Blew my mind up. Final Fantasy XIII, another game with great dialogue. Full of emotion, and good script writing. So to say that all japanese games have bad dialogue is a bit harsh, you probably haven't played the right ones. Plus, the fact that Japanese is spoken differently to English. What you might think is akward, isn't for the Japanese. (Or speakers of other asian languages).

But I'm unsure if you're talking about Japanese games, or Japanese games that have been dubbed to English?

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GeneralShowzer
Well i haven't played them in the original language, I don't understand Japanese. But I have played last remnant and the only two words i can explain the dialogue is akward and poorly written. At least the dubbed version. Especially some of the bonding scenes between Rush and the Prince.
Avatar image for 232221758161597895586965181765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 232221758161597895586965181765
Member since 2009 • 45 Posts
[QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]Well i haven't played them in the original language, I don't understand Japanese. But I have played last remnant and the only two words i can explain the dialogue is akward and poorly written. At least the dubbed version. Especially some of the bonding scenes between Rush and the Prince.

Why on earth did you play the dubbed versions? O.o You should be able to get a hold of Japanese games but with English subs. Although I suppose it's harder to get a hold of. Playing dubbed games...That's like watching anime dubbed. It never lives up to the original. There's a simple answer for your question of why it sounds awkward and why it's just plain out bad (both for games and anime). It's because dubbers have to fit in the English dialogue, within the same time frame as the original Japanese version. And somehow try and keep the message the same.
GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GeneralShowzer
[QUOTE="Sweeneykill"][QUOTE="GeneralShowzer"]Well i haven't played them in the original language, I don't understand Japanese. But I have played last remnant and the only two words i can explain the dialogue is akward and poorly written. At least the dubbed version. Especially some of the bonding scenes between Rush and the Prince.

Why on earth did you play the dubbed versions? O.o You should be able to get a hold of Japanese games but with English subs. Although I suppose it's harder to get a hold of. Playing dubbed games...That's like watching anime dubbed. It never lives up to the original. There's a simple answer for your question of why it sounds awkward and why it's just plain out bad (both for games and anime). It's because dubbers have to fit in the English dialogue, within the same time frame as the original Japanese version. And somehow try and keep the message the same.

Makes sense. Thanks for the tip. Anyway maybe i just don't like anything from Japan. I have watched "Advent Children" and "Paranoia Agent" with subtitles, and i still didn't get it.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#7 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

Either the localization is bad or the source material was bad to begin with. Try the game in my sig for an example of great localization. Atlus games usually have great localization too.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts

So learn Japanese if you want to really enjoy them! I can tell you for a fact that translators take extreme liberties even today. Squeenix's guys are some of the worst (someone there LOVES old english). Sega's pretty bad too. Atlus is decent but it's still stupid to play something like Persona in english.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#9 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

the general reason is that its already hard to find good dialogue to begin with. with foreign games you have to find a good translator as well.

if you want an example of an exception, theres shadow of the colossus. its sparse, but anything said by the deity is pure poetry.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#10 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Japanese developers are still stuck in the 80's and can't be bothered to hire professional writers and voice actors. I mean, look at Nintendo. One of the biggest game companies out there and they still don't use voice acting at all.

There are a few exceptions, naturally. While neither Okami or Katamari Damacy use voice acting, the writing is pretty strong.

xWoW_Rougex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 xWoW_Rougex
Member since 2009 • 2793 Posts

Not sure if you're talking about games that are badly dubbed (In that case, I think Persona 3 and Final Fantasy titles are pretty good though) or the " generic anime style"... I can't stand that kind of thing any longer, it's too much of this kind of stuff in too many animes/mangas:

Western scenario: *eats some food, drink wine and some booze, have lots of sweaty sex*

Anime version of this scenario: Two persons blushing, "u.. uhm, milku or l-l-lemon soda?", "..."W--What is it?", "Ah nothing, you look beautiful", "*super blush*, a..aa--a I--" "Don't worry! *puts hand on her shoulder*", "*girl thinks for herself: he's touching me! we're so perverted, he probably want to see my panties*, we--we- shouldn't do this"

This is the case in many games too, such as Star Ocean Last Hope, Eternal Sonata, Disgaea and also those crappy cheap games such as Cross Edge. It just drives you crazy such in Star Ocean, they just draaaaag the dialogue out with this kind of awkward stuff.

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

localization. it ruined TWEWY for me. they just sounded soo cheesy.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts

the general reason is that its already hard to find good dialogue to begin with. with foreign games you have to find a good translator as well.

LoG-Sacrament
This is probably the best answer yet. :) And in addition to these two factors, the best dialog ever written can be completely destroyed by poor voice acting. It's hard to nail all three... though in fairness, a very good translator can make up for poor writing by translating well. I just started playing Lost Odyssey, and the dialog in that game is so far very good. And the dialog in 999 was outstanding, as was Dragon Quest VIII.
Darksiders666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Darksiders666
Member since 2011 • 272 Posts

Nier. If all Japanese games were as well voice acted, had a good script and were as fun to play I'd play alot more Japanese games.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Explain! Please explain this to me. Why is the dialog in all japanese games so insipid, so poorly written, so useless so akward.

I really don't get it...

Name exceptions if you know them...

GeneralShowzer

So you're asking people to explain one of your delusions? Good luck with that.

alanthreonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 alanthreonus
Member since 2008 • 153 Posts

localization. it ruined TWEWY for me. they just sounded soo cheesy.

martinX3X

Really? I thought they did an exceptional job on the localization. It must've been really hard to translate Japanese slang and pop culture into something Americans could understand and relate to, but I thought they were successful.

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

Japanese developers are still stuck in the 80's and can't be bothered to hire professional writers and voice actors. I mean, look at Nintendo. One of the biggest game companies out there and they still don't use voice acting at all.

There are a few exceptions, naturally. While neither Okami or Katamari Damacy use voice acting, the writing is pretty strong.

UpInFlames

Ya, but Nintendo actually has great English writers doing the translations now. They don't put out too many dialogue-heavy games anymore, but stuff like Bowser's Inside Story has fantastic writing.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#19 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

It's not always like that and many times when it is it is because of poor translating.

Anyway maybe i just don't like anything from Japan. I have watched "Advent Children" and "Paranoia Agent" with subtitles, and i still didn't get it.

...Have you thought about trying to watch something good? Try some of these suggestions or these