Dear EA: I wish ill upon you

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ArchonBasic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 ArchonBasic
Member since 2002 • 6420 Posts

So I buy my new copy of Spore today. I had some concerns about EA's invasive Securom copyright protection, but it's in so many games that I figured I already had it. Plus I really wanted Spore.

So I start the install process and then sit down to watch some football. When I get back it looks like it's done, but EA wants me to install their download manager. My first reaction is "fat chance", but I check online and apparently you have to have it to get updates. Fine then. So I start the install and immediately get hit with a license agreement. Well isn't this a new one! A license agreement for a program that I don't want, but that I have to install to use another program I paid good money for! Let's see: I can't use the EA download manager to pirate their games - fair enough; Legal speak - blah blah; The download manager can collect information on my hardware information as well as some other somewhat vaguely defined areas of information, but if I don't want EA to collect information on me then I can simply choose not to install the program. Thanks for spelling that out for me! Here, let me bend over!

So, installation of hellware complete. Now time to play my game... or not. Instead I get a popup telling me that I need to change my IE cookie settings or I cannot purchase junk at their store. Whatever. So I x out of that and look for a Spore shortcut. Nothing. EA download manager is on my desktop. EA download manager is in my program list. Spore is in neither, it's buried in my program file directory. Prioritize much, EA?

So, to recap: Invasive copyright protection? Check. Forced customer data mining? Check. I also had a devil of a time getting the game to run, but that's mostly my own fault for clicking the wrong option on the BS cookie popup and having the audacity to control my cookies in the first place. Although if EA would have put a freaking shortcut on my desktop I would have realized the game did in fact install, instead of trying unsuccessfully to get the DVD to run for several minutes. I guess the cookie thing is part of the deal for user interactivity, but I'm still steaming over that download manager crap.

I have no respect for publishers who have no respect for their customers.

Finaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Finaru
Member since 2008 • 306 Posts
Frankly, I agree. This whole game seems like an "EA Expansion cash cow" in my humble opinion, and the setup is just horrible.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#3 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
I worry about Will Wright's past love affair with expansions and Spore. EA and expansions are holding me back from instantly buying this game. It seems like it's set up for expansions.
Meska2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Meska2
Member since 2006 • 392 Posts
This is why i have no respect for EA. They don't care about there customers, just the money.
that goes for there madden series aswell.
However this game does look good, purchase the disk i will
MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

Unreal. I love it when content providers treat all users as would-be criminals. Sorry EA, no more of my money for you until you learn to treat your customers better. Oh yeah, and also that copy protection is a waste of money, savings that could have lowered the cost of your games.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Gaming companies are bringing piracy upon themselves. They don't realise that pirates will always find a way around any hellspawned protection system companies will ever come up with. The only ones that are hindered by such measures are the legitimate game buyers, who have a hard time just installing and running the game because of all the Starforce, Steam, system spies and malware like that. I know people who buy their $50 copy of the game, don't even open the box and install an illegal hacked version because it won't give the kind of problems you encountered. It's not a valid countermeasure and I'm not condoning it, but could you honestly blame them?
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

Damn man. That really does suck.

But hey, at least you can always reach EA's customer support to help you out, right? Right?

Found this at a friend's site today. I guess that download manager has more features than advertised.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

Damn man. That really does suck.

But hey, at least you can always reach EA's customer support to help you out, right? Right?

SteelAttack

But...on the same note, their customer support for, say, Rock Band was beyond awesome, helpful, and direct, as I got my new drums within 2 days of me placing the request, at absolutely no cost, no question. It would've been better, of course, if the gear was better constructed from the onset, but that's a different matter.

Any company as large as EA is going to have good points and bad points about their policies and practicies.

This doesn't mean that we shouldn't call them out when they do stupid stuff - we should. It's just also important to keep in mind that they don't /always/ do stupid stuff.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Awww crap like that is really annoying. When will publishers learn that we just want to play the godamn game jesus.
Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts

i saw a blog post today was saying %90 of amazon's users gave 1 star to spore just because of that securerom/drm problem...

so maybe EA wants us to get a pirated copy of the game if we dont want trouble with these annoying issues ?

mdjhx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mdjhx
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Unreal. I love it when content providers treat all users as would-be criminals. Sorry EA, no more of my money for you until you learn to treat your customers better. Oh yeah, and also that copy protection is a waste of money, savings that could have lowered the cost of your games.

MarcusAntonius
I like you avatar. who is this, may I ask?
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#12 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts
Looks like Genghis Kahn to me.
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#13 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts
[QUOTE="MarcusAntonius"]

mdjhx
I like you avatar. who is this, may I ask?

I believe it's a character from one of the Dynasty Warriors games though I am not sure which one as there are about 40 a game and go through character design changes.
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

Looks like Genghis Kahn to me.Rekunta

Ditto, in his younger days

CronoSquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CronoSquall
Member since 2008 • 915 Posts
It's always funny to see publishers do the whole dog chasing his own tail routine with piracy. Do they not realize that their customer punishing DRM only creates more pirates? Alot of people now who would have purchased a legit copy, will simply wait and pirate the game, just to get around dealing with this. I don't advocate piracy, but when publishers are installing junk on our rigs, and data mining us, I can start to see the reasoning behind it beyond just cheap people being cheap.
DeadlyZodiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DeadlyZodiac
Member since 2007 • 1367 Posts

The irony of it all is that all this does is create more piracy. I would never buy a game that makes you do all of that crap, no matter what game it was or who made it. I don't know about other people, but the more copy protection a game has, the less likely I am to actually buy it.

Fortunately I'm not interested in Spore and I'm trying to move away from PC gaming.

xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
This is why I decided to install this game on my Mac, I see no secuRom daemons running which is good although there is a foler on there but nothing is in it, no EA download manager (Windows Only) and I didn't have to input a serial key at all which I thought was strange since it prompted me on my windows machine, maybe I have to do it when I create an account which I haven't figuring updates are going to be released seperate from the EA download manager since I'm running it on a Mac
thebrown07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 thebrown07
Member since 2005 • 1487 Posts

I pre-ordered a copy of Warhammer Online from EA with the promotion of having access to the Beta testing. I did this order way before the event. I emailed EA to confirm that they were going to send me the beta code in time for the begining of the event, which they emailed back effectivley saying yes.

The event starts 7th, no beta key email, so I email EA to cancel my preorder. I recieve my beta key today 2 days after the event launched, still with the game on pre-order. So i've sent another email to try and cancel it again.

Maybe I'm just nitt-picking but if i'm going through them to get a promotional beta key then I wouldn't mind actually having it for the event.

P.S. EA Link or whatever its called now is shocking. Mine doesn't even work properly anymore and won't allow me to patch things properly, manual patching ftw.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
I was thinking of picking up Spore, but I'm going to pass on it at this point. I'm not dealing with that crap.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

[QUOTE="Rekunta"]Looks like Genghis Kahn to me.HiResDes

Ditto, in his younger days

Hm... more like some guy from Jade Empire, Dinasty Warriors or Silkroad.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Ouch. I can't say I have ever had any problems with EA, but what you describe is fairly disturbing (or, maybe I'm just not reading the liscence agreements....).
KillOBKilled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 KillOBKilled
Member since 2008 • 231 Posts

The majority of this thread is a confirmation of what I, and certainly others, have been seeing over the past few years. Totalitarian DRM and unaccomidating support with games that could have been great, but turned out, "meh..."

EA has lost my business until I hear differently...

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Rekunta

I was reading reviews on Amazon.com for Spore, and came upon this post:

This DRM isn't going to stop game piracy and EA knows it. The SecuROM DRM contained in Spore is for implementing EA's new stand alone pc game subscription business model. You pay for the game but don't own it in any way shape or form. You relinquish your right to make a back-up copy, install it as many times as you wish on your pc, and re-sell it. If you do some research online you will see that this is all part of EA's new business model, along with "micro-transactions" and in-game advertising. As bad as this may sound for the future of pc gaming, all hope is not lost. As consumers we have the power to flex our muscle and tighten our grip on our wallets.

I have never resorted to piracy before, but EA has just pushed me over the edge. Any game that interests me made by EA I will obtain through illegal means. Thanks EA!

GamerBoy53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 GamerBoy53
Member since 2008 • 2666 Posts
Wow. EA really is becoming too powerful.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Skylock00

This DRM isn't going to stop game piracy and EA knows it. The SecuROM DRM contained in Spore is for implementing EA's new stand alone pc game subscription business model. You pay for the game but don't own it in any way shape or form. You relinquish your right to make a back-up copy, install it as many times as you wish on your pc, and re-sell it. If you do some research online you will see that this is all part of EA's new business model, along with "micro-transactions" and in-game advertising. As bad as this may sound for the future of pc gaming, all hope is not lost. As consumers we have the power to flex our muscle and tighten our grip on our wallets.

I have never resorted to piracy before, but EA has just pushed me over the edge. Any game that interests me made by EA I will obtain through illegal means. Thanks EA!

Rekunta

So...that was part of a review for the game on Amazon? Does it at the very least reference sources?

And technically, most game companies won't claim that you actually own the game, but merely a license to use it on your computer, so part of what is being said there isn't something that I really find terribly outrageous, though any sort of DRM is really annoying in multiple ways.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Rekunta
[QUOTE="Rekunta"]

Skylock00

So...that was part of a review for the game on Amazon? Does it at the very least reference sources?

And technically, most game companies won't claim that you actually own the game, but merely a license to use it on your computer, so part of what is being said there isn't something that I really find terribly outrageous, though any sort of DRM is really annoying in multiple ways.

My bad, I meant a user review. DRM is horrible, but aside from that, when I buy a game I should be able to install it however many times I wish. Sure it's purchasing the license and not the software, but it is not a rental.

_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 _Bear
Member since 2002 • 18760 Posts
This just makes me sure I'm not buying Spore, I was thinking about it, but who needs hassles like this? I have been pc gaming a long time, things like this DRM have made me lean more towards my consoles. Plus some of the interviews with Will Wright talking about how they wanted to make the game more Sims like AKA casual and with multi expansions. Too much EA is not a good thing.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Skylock00

My bad, I meant a user review. DRM is horrible, but aside from that, when I buy a game I should be able to install it however many times I wish. Sure it's purchasing the license and not the software, but it is not a rental.

Rekunta
Oh, absolutely, I agree that DRM sucks, especially if it's that invasive, it's just that even though EA screwed up big time, given general behavior, people will generally overplay EA as being a bad company/entity than anything else from what I've seen
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

Why do they insist on installing so much other stuff to invade your PC just to be able to play the game you bought properly?

I don't want DRM, installation limits, restrictions on usage, forced to use particular software to get updates or game content. As others have said, most of these problems only affect people who buy the game. For those that get it by other means get a better version with all this stuff removed or disabled.

Most of this copy-protection is like building a wall on quicksand. The bigger you build your defenses the faster they sink.

CronoSquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CronoSquall
[QUOTE="Rekunta"]

Skylock00

Oh, absolutely, I agree that DRM sucks, especially if it's that invasive, it's just that even though EA screwed up big time, given general behavior, people will generally overplay EA as being a bad company/entity than anything else from what I've seen

EA isn't evil, just absurdly stupid. Yelling about how terrible piracy is, then actively turning whats left of your honest customers towards piracy by making it more of a hassle to be an honest customer than it is to pirate, is laughably idiotic and self defeating.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
[QUOTE="Skylock00"][QUOTE="Rekunta"]

CronoSquall

EA isn't evil, just absurdly stupid. Yelling about how terrible piracy is, then actively turning whats left of your honest customers towards piracy by making it more of a hassle to be an honest customer than it is to pirate, is laughably idiotic and self defeating.

Agreed EA makes some great games and does a lot for the industry when they can but who the hell wants to put up with this nonsense in their PC games? I should be rewarded for being a cash paying consumer with some free downloadable content or something not annoyed so much that I dont want to bother with the game in the first place. Well, at least legally I wont.
RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
I'm returning my unopened copy of Spore.
Arath_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Arath_1
Member since 2003 • 4688 Posts

Agreed EA makes some great games and does a lot for the industry when they can but who the hell wants to put up with this nonsense in their PC games? I should be rewarded for being a cash paying consumer with some free downloadable content or something not annoyed so much that I dont want to bother with the game in the first place. Well, at least legally I wont.GodModeEnabled

Sorry had to reply to this. While I wouldn't go as far as to call EA the bane of the industry and I don't hate them to any extent. EA has a history of doing things in the wrong way, whether it's the industry eye opener EA spouse, their acquisition and management practices and now their invasive DRM & online practices.

While EA are making an ACTIVE attempt to change their image both for the consumer and the industry, by supporting fresh IP's and nurturing close relationships with developers, their DRM is just one of many in a long line of misteps and more importantly and I think this is an important issue it's not doing anything to stem piracy.

I think it's an important consideration, would NO security mean less in the way of piracy than something along the lines of what EA is doing (with mass effect the game had to check online every 10 days to allow the player to continue playing). The fact is this is driving people to rebel simply out of frustration. PAYING consumers are being treated like potential criminals and milked for all their worth, while the pirates continue to play their hassle free versions. Nobody is advocating piracy HOWEVER EA is just making the prospect of hassle free gaming MUCH more appealing the more they hassle legit players...

I think piracy is much more an attempt to simple show 'I can' (bypass the security) rather than an active attack to not pay. DRM, especially not in the way EA is doing it, is not going to slow or even stem piracy.

CronoSquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 CronoSquall

DRM, especially not in the way EA is doing it, is not going to slow or even stem piracy.

Arath_1

Indeed, it will actively grow it. I just had a friend return his unopened copy the other day, and he plainly told me he WILL in fact, pirate this game. He's NEVER done that before. I don't blame him, invasive programs like that are absolutely unacceptable.

wigan_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 wigan_gamer
Member since 2008 • 3293 Posts
I refuse to buy any EA games now.... they dont care about the customers at all. Im fine playing other companys games :) its there loss not mine. I hope EA will eventually learn all we want on our game disk is the actual game! if we needed other crap then we could get it elsewhere.
madmenno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#36 madmenno
Member since 2004 • 1528 Posts

I have no respect for publishers who have no respect for their customers.Archon_basic

Theres ony 1 PC publisher/developer left that respects his customers. Blizzard entertainment. The rest makes games for money and money only. Getting the scene hyped up with some awesome graphics and deliver nothing but empty boxes. EA is a very bad company, trying to get a monopoly position on the market that way is always bad. They used to make very fun games back in the day but nowadays they don't even make/publish 1 out of 10 decent games, and if theres 1 good one, or good hyped one, they sell it with all this crap arround it to make you suffer. But seenfrom a commercial perspective, it's probably one of the best.... go figure...

gz

ArchonBasic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ArchonBasic
Member since 2002 • 6420 Posts

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Agreed EA makes some great games and does a lot for the industry when they can but who the hell wants to put up with this nonsense in their PC games? I should be rewarded for being a cash paying consumer with some free downloadable content or something not annoyed so much that I dont want to bother with the game in the first place. Well, at least legally I wont.Arath_1

Sorry had to reply to this. While I wouldn't go as far as to call EA the bane of the industry and I don't hate them to any extent. EA has a history of doing things in the wrong way, whether it's the industry eye opener EA spouse, their acquisition and management practices and now their invasive DRM & online practices.

While EA are making an ACTIVE attempt to change their image both for the consumer and the industry, by supporting fresh IP's and nurturing close relationships with developers, their DRM is just one of many in a long line of misteps and more importantly and I think this is an important issue it's not doing anything to stem piracy.

I think it's an important consideration, would NO security mean less in the way of piracy than something along the lines of what EA is doing (with mass effect the game had to check online every 10 days to allow the player to continue playing). The fact is this is driving people to rebel simply out of frustration. PAYING consumers are being treated like potential criminals and milked for all their worth, while the pirates continue to play their hassle free versions. Nobody is advocating piracy HOWEVER EA is just making the prospect of hassle free gaming MUCH more appealing the more they hassle legit players...

I think piracy is much more an attempt to simple show 'I can' (bypass the security) rather than an active attack to not pay. DRM, especially not in the way EA is doing it, is not going to slow or even stem piracy.

I like what Stardock did with Sins of a Solar Empire - Absolutely no copy protection, but you had to have a legit CD key to get updates. They even cracked the game out of the box so there was no need to use the DVD, which I absolutely love. And you know what happened? I actually saw people on message boards go out of their way to talk their peers out of pirating Solar Empire. I'm sure piracy was still a big problem for the game, as it is for every PC game, but some people that normally pirate chose not to steal Solar Empire because they respected what Stardock was doing. The game also sold better than expected, imagine that?

The approach Stardock took with Sins of a Solar Empire has made me respect them as a publisher, and I'll take a hard look at anything they publish from now on. I'm more likely to buy their games now, and I can't wait for Demigod. Now contrast that with my experience with EA. They got $50 from me and installed their precious little spyware on my system, but now that I've been burned I'll now be passing up EA published games I would have otherwise bought. Companies can use dubious business practices to cash in short term, but it's going to hurt their reputation and it's going to hurt their bottom line in the long term.