Could GTA OL, hurt PS4?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Khasym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Khasym
Member since 2003 • 585 Posts

Okay, we all know that GTA OL has had a launch equivalent to a fine ship flowing off the rails into the water for the first time....and immediately turning turtle, rising up by the bow, and sinking to the black depths, never to return. :-)

But from what I'm hearing, it seems PS3 users for whatever reason, are taking the major brunt of the launch woes. It's got me very nervous about the prospect this November of buying a PS4 over the XBox One.

Has the launch woes of GTA OL, gotten anyone else to consider what it will mean to jump ship to the PS4, or stay with it if you have a PS3? Granted, Sony's got their best foot forward on the public side right now. But as I understand it, the GTA OL launch, isn't the only connective problem Sony's had with a console.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#2 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

I'm honestly not seeing the connection. 

I mean isn't the point of the PS4 to fix the woes of the PS3 with it's new more standardized hardware? Being x86, in other words similar to PCs and the nearest competitor, shouldn't the issues of the PS3 be the exact reason you would want to upgrade rather than some bone of contention? 

Khasym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Khasym
In this case, my issue isn't with the PS4. I'm still planning to get one when I get the money together, even though I'm a 360 owner currently. It's with Sony. Sony's done a great job of catching up to MS in the gaming world, but they also have a great number of moments exactly like this. Where for some reason, Microsoft isn't suffering the same problems as Sony is. That's what has me concerned about the PS4. They're launching with several top shelf games, not the least of which is Sony's flagship franchise right now, Planetside 2. But can they really put all the woes of the PS3 behind them with the PS4, or is there going to be yet ANOTHER growing pains cycle for them as they iron out the kinks?
iampenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 iampenguin
Member since 2013 • 396 Posts

no.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
They aren't small upgrades of the previous systems. They are both completely new systems. I really don't see a connection like that. They definitely have to focus more on their network, but they already know that because they are trying to grow gaikai game streaming.
shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

As stated, it's not really an issue for me. PS4 is much more modern and designed with online gaming in mind, it was almost an afterthought for PS3. Not sure where the connection is, but I'm not concerned.

Khasym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Khasym

Yes GNB, they do have an idea of what to do. But are they going to throw their full weight behind Gaikai, the same way Microsoft is throwing their weight behind Kinect? Are we going to HAVE to use Gaikai in the future, and is Gaikai prepared for that kind of weight? As we just saw with GTA OL, and even more so with games like Diablo 3, even when the numbers are evident, the roll out of an untested service can bottleneck hundreds of thousands of paying customers. GTA V sold over 15 million units. By the time Gaikai hits the market, there could be 20 million PS4 owners, all expecting the service to function. This is the threat that Sony faces.

Microsoft's Cloud computing system, has at least had a small tryout in the 360. It wasn't much, with just being able to store saves and characters on their Cloud Servers. But, they got to see what happens when you have people sending and receiving data on the service. So they have a solid frame of reference to expand that service to include client data for games like Titanfall and Destiny. It won't be perfect, of that I'm sure, but I don't see the XBox One having the same level of issues with their streaming service that I foresee Sony having.

Which brings me back to the original question. Could this admittedly doomsday sounding scenario, turn into a financial impact for Sony when the console or the Gaikai service releases?

Deadpool-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Deadpool-n
Member since 2012 • 489 Posts

Don't think so

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Hell no.

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

The majority of people buying a next gen console at launch will already have made their decision.