Colors are fading in this gen? Why is that? Grey is being used a lot.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4261 Posts

THoughts on all this? I could swear there were brighter colors in previous gen games. Why is there such dark colors being used? Its almost like I can't see anything with the new scheme.

Your thoughts are welcome in this thread.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

There you go.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
i'm not sure its always bugged me i for instance loved halo 3's graphics i thought they were leagues ahead of cod 4's at the time. (i can't think of any current examples) But i guess almost no one agrees with me.
outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 outworld222

There you go.

LordQuorthon
That's one good article. It explains a lot! I never knew all those things mentioned in there. Kinda makes me sad though. That, for instance, the jump in graphics has a huge part to do with all this.
vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#5 vadicta
Member since 2007 • 4354 Posts

It's really not as bad as people make it seem. Mostly Gears gets hit with this, but even they're changing it up a bit, but it's difficult. A lot of games take place in urban enviroments this gen, and concrete is grey. That's really all there is to it.

montag1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 montag1
Member since 2009 • 156 Posts

Ya i noticed that to.

Blade8Aus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Blade8Aus
Member since 2006 • 1819 Posts

There you go.

LordQuorthon

Interesting. This article explains a lot about the look of the DarkPlaces engine with the lighting set to maximum compared to the look of Quake on other engines.

On another note; what is with the whole tea pot thing in lighting and shading demonstrations?

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

Hmm... Interesting.

brittoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 brittoss
Member since 2004 • 1028 Posts

Grey is the new blurry. Ah N64, good times good times.

anthonycg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 anthonycg
Member since 2009 • 2017 Posts

[QUOTE="LordQuorthon"]

There you go.

Blade8Aus

Interesting. This article explains a lot about the look of the DarkPlaces engine with the lighting set to maximum compared to the look of Quake on other engines.

On another note; what is with the whole tea pot thing in lighting and shading demonstrations?

I don't know where it came from but it's used in a lot of rendering examples like that. It has a simple shape so that you aren't distracted by other things and the UV mapping is really easy anyway. :D

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

In Halo Reach's forge there s sc fx call nest gen and it just make the map dark.

I have notice that most western game makers are following the same art look (I want to use "styl e") Boarderland went with a different art look and it was attack for having bad graphic.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#12 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

Play SSF4,go to the Africa stage, and enjoy the colours.

GLove093093

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GLove093093
Member since 2010 • 57 Posts
I hadn't noticed that. Interesting.
thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 thattotally
Member since 2008 • 3842 Posts

I just looked at Castlevania's Lord of Shadows and I'm quite surprised, yet pleasantly so that it looks very beautiful.

Also there's Eternal Sonata. There are many games that still have colors, it's just that they fall to the bottom of the barrel when competing with the stagnant shooter market.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I just looked at Castlevania's Lord of Shadows and I'm quite surprised, yet pleasantly so that it looks very beautiful.

Also there's Eternal Sonata. There are many games that still have colors, it's just that they fall to the bottom of the barrel when competing with the stagnant shooter market.

thattotally

I don't think the shooter market is stagnant, but I agree with you that muted colors are common inside the shooting genre (which makes sense since they tend to place characters in warzones) and very rare outside of it.

thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 thattotally
Member since 2008 • 3842 Posts

Oh I see...

Well similar to how people say Borderlands is creative, I don't think making a shooter with a practically rainbow color palette is too farfetched. I mean they're supposed to be video games first and foremost... plus for example Uncharted as a shooter looks moderately pleasant, though it is not strictly a "war shooter".

Cronik959

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Cronik959
Member since 2009 • 262 Posts

I like the darker colors. More realistic.

Why would you wan't everything to look like some kind of Mario candy land?

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wiouds

I like the darker colors. More realistic.

Why would you wan't everything to look like some kind of Mario candy land?

Cronik959

Making games more realistic is one of the worse sick and twisted fetish some has. Taking out deathmatches would make game more realistic than changing the color.

We do not games with that much color but it would be nice if they leave the now almost stander color scheme.

I want more style and looks. Western game maker have been getting better at the technical part of graphic but they been stagnate with the art style by just using what everyone else is using.

styx56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 styx56
Member since 2006 • 1133 Posts

^ I agree with what you are saying but can your typing get any worse? I can hardly even read that.

Anyways games should be more colorful and unrealistic. Great graphics are fine and everything but when I hear the word realistic I get turned off because to me realistic = ugly and dull but detailed. Games are just getting more and more ugly and I'm not even talking about just the colors. I'm talking about maps too. I'm really getting tired of hearing about new, fun FPS's only to be staring at the typical ugly war torn location. I can't have fun with that at all. Look at the Halo games and that is how a FPS should look. It's looks nice and isn't dull at all and is fun to play because maps also are not boring and depressing like other FPS's.

anthonycg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 anthonycg
Member since 2009 • 2017 Posts

Mirror's Edge 2: We need it.

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

Yeah, it's just a thing that is a bit popular for the moment. It isn't a bad thing all the time though. Gears of War was trying to make a depressing world where everything was broken and decayed. Any color had been burnt out, and it really affected the mood of the game. The only problem is that in the wake of the game's popularity, that became the short-hand style to being a hit if you didn't want to put much thought into it.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wiouds

It is not just the colors that are becoming darker but so are the stories. When I am talking about the stories, I am mainly talking about the RPGs. I like my stories to be more than caves that start off dark and only get darker. I like good rich adventures with some lighthearted parts, wacky moments and wonderment.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 outworld222

It is not just the colors that are becoming darker but so are the stories. When I am talking about the stories, I am mainly talking about the RPGs. I like my stories to be more than caves that start off dark and only get darker. I like good rich adventures with some lighthearted parts, wacky moments and wonderment.

wiouds
I agree. Though that's not necessarily a bad thing. I don't know. I was playing Batman Arkam Asylum today, and It was very dark. I had to take a break.

Play SSF4,go to the Africa stage, and enjoy the colours.

King9999
I'm not good with SF. I am just not good at it.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wiouds

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

outworld222

I agree. Though that's not necessarily a bad thing. I don't know. I was playing Batman Arkam Asylum today, and It was very dark. I had to take a break.

I know the shorter games can handle the dark tone but longer games it just become too heavy.

On a side note, one of the creepiest moments for me in any video game is in Dead Rising 1. When, you first leave the safe house and enter the main mall. It was bright and with a nice colors, and the music was so pleasant with a happy voice then came over it. This made the zombie in the area even more creepy. As gamers, I am sure that we all dealt with the monster in the dark corner but rarely do we deal with them in the pleasant setting.

Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
I've realized this as well. I think it's due to the prominence of western games this gen. Many are taking the realistic approach and lacking in creativity.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
To capture the THEME. People complain Gears of War series is too grey and brown. It's a post-apocalyptic video game! Why would you want vibrant colors? I dont understand people...
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

THoughts on all this? I could swear there were brighter colors in previous gen games. Why is there such dark colors being used? Its almost like I can't see anything with the new scheme.

Your thoughts are welcome in this thread.

outworld222

It's an excuse to hide system limitations, nothing more.