Breaking immersion

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CiaraMcD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CiaraMcD
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
A very rough definition of immersion in video games is where a player becomes deeply involved with the game - often to the point of subconsciously detaching themselves from the passing of time and events outside of the game's world. There are a number of different dimensions to immersion - some may become caught up in the game's story and narrative elements (like Bioshock), whereas others can find themselves more hooked on the strategy and skill necessary (like Portal). What I'm wondering is what it is that can break players out of an immersive experience in video games. Say, for example, you've spent hours playing a game without registering the time gone by, only for something to happen in the game that completely pulls you out of the experience. Suddenly, you're made aware of the hours you've spent at it and reminded that you are a mere mortal playing a video game - and not, disappointingly, a powerful Magi elf exploring the mythical world of Thedas. Or maybe in some cases you never even get to that point, and the game fails to immerse you at all. In summary, or TL;DR! In your own experience, what do you think breaks immersion in a video game?
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
Badly-coded gameplay is one thing that can break immersion. For example, the platforming in DMC4 breaks the immersion from the real action, which is the combat. Another example would be too much slogging to get to a destination. Slog a mile to fetch something, slog a mile back to deliver it. I also find it immersion-breaking to have to slog to exit an area once I've cleared it of enemy NPCs. Give me a keypress to exit.
Beagle050

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Beagle050
Member since 2008 • 737 Posts

Stupid and/or annoying characters

Glitches

Stuff that doesn't fit the theme of the game

Lag

thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 thattotally
Member since 2008 • 3842 Posts

First person view in video games. Such as every game from Bethesda, not that I'd bother with those terrible developers and their godawful games anyhoo, Mirror's Edge, Bioshock... I seriously cannot comprehend how people plough through that format and are able to enjoy the game. It's completely unintuitive.

I cannot immerse myself in the game because that close up angle takes me completely out of it. No, I don't imagine "I am the player on screen" and whatnot, I thought that was ****ing implied since I'm playing a damn video game. Sheesh.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Speaking of Bethesda, absolutely nothing kills my immersion faster than when the game locks up and I have to restart the console.

Really awful voice acting does it as well. Hearing somebody read a line like it's the first time they've ever seen the script, or thinking to myself that the writer had a certain type of character in mind when they wrote the dialogue, and the voice actor just missed that entirely and went for some generic "this is of epic importance" tone of voice lol.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

It was the FMV era for me back in the 90's Thoese Full Motion Videos games was well immersive. It just now it cheaper to do Animation etc as the actors these days would want paying the same as hollywood stars so it easier and cheaper to do animation. Wincommander series come to mind as one of the most immersive as that was FMV and graphics together. Flying the spaceship and communicating to the other pilots and the communication it self was in FMV as well in the top left corner.

koospetoors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 koospetoors
Member since 2004 • 3715 Posts
Putting things in that generally doesn't fit the theme of the game totally kills the immersion for me. The best instance I can think of was in Dragon Age: Origins, I remember running into this rather peculiar man who asked me for help, after hearing the full story I was quite eager to take the quest, only to get told in typical scumbag EA fashion, that I must first exit the game and buy it off the EA store before continuing.
Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#8 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

If the game freezes

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Seeing characters do things they shouldn't be able to do breaks it big time for me. Like Ntahan drake the one man killing machine who gets into all sorts of dangers even as a kid and not a scratch on him. Or when he is delerious in a desert just to turn around and kill loads of guys.

Also technical stuff like freezes glitches etc. The usual

josephl64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 josephl64
Member since 2008 • 4424 Posts

if characters act out of character, the game freezes, or i am doing a repetitive action...as for things that are my fault that break immersion, i would say dying definitely does it

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#11 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

skyrim has had me thinking about immersion lately. people often mention the sillier glitches (giants power clubbing the player or dragons shifting into reverse) when talking about immersion breaking in the elder scrolls but those oddities have been in the elder scrolls games so long that i sort of think of them as part of tamriel. i expect humanoids spawning fire out of their hands just as much as i expect mysteriously floating flagons.

what snaps me out of the game are the freezes and framerate chugs. getting up to restart the game or having these jarring slow downs reorient me in the real world. also, there are the controls. they are my link to the game and good controls should be manipulated thoughtlessly. when my dual wielding attacks dont register, im no longer thinking about the game. im thinking "why the hell isnt this working?"

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#12 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

if characters act out of character, the game freezes, or i am doing a repetitive action...as for things that are my fault that break immersion, i would say dying definitely does it

josephl64
dieing is an interesting one. i think dieing and then reloading a save file is immersion breaking because its not really justified in the game world and it is the game's fault due to how the death scenario is designed. if i die in demon's souls or limbo, the game has worked that death scenario into the game world and i dont feel like im doing anything out of context. even smaller steps like in prince of persia: the sands of time, the prince is narrating the game and correcting himself as the player dies ("no, no, no. thats not how it goes.") to at least keep that narrative from breaking.
Calvin079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 Calvin079
Member since 2008 • 16406 Posts

I refuse to immerse myself in any game. I should be able to put it down any time I want without hurrying to go back and play it more. If that isn't the case, it either goes back or it doesn't get played fora few weeks.

t

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

Seeing characters do things they shouldn't be able to do breaks it big time for me. Like Ntahan drake the one man killing machine who gets into all sorts of dangers even as a kid and not a scratch on him. Or when he is delerious in a desert just to turn around and kill loads of guys.

Also technical stuff like freezes glitches etc. The usual

seanmcloughlin
Very true. For me, it's the opposite, though. Having a bad-ass character who gets stuck because the wooden door is locked, totally kills the immersion. Invisible walls are a killer, too!
ReviewerDrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ReviewerDrake
Member since 2011 • 805 Posts

^ They actually handled the walls really good with Assassin's Creed since it was the animus and all but the games are way to glitchy to be immersive.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
You know what breaks the immersion for me? No matter how big your kingdom is, all guards will stop you on the street to tell you of when they took an arrow in the knee
contracts420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 contracts420
Member since 2008 • 1956 Posts

I can get immersed by many games. But I'd say bugs, stalling, characters not reacting to the environment, loading screens, lack of animation, difficulty, all of those kill immersion for me.

The most immersive games I have played are probably the Uncharted series. Everything flows so well, everything blends together seemlessly.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

What break the immersion for me is breaking the fourth wall. Moment like when a converation stop so the player can pick what a character will say.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts
Having just finished MW3s campaign I have to say handholding such as the big white FOLLOW sign that you see for the whole game basically.
Motroucet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Motroucet
Member since 2011 • 28 Posts

Texture pop-ins heh. :)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#21 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 70139 Posts

False sense of opportunity. This occurs when the game illogically or specifically hinders you from accomplishing a task that should be doable. Examples being invisible walls, handicaping the gamer for specific sections, obstacles that can easily be walked over but you simply can't, inability to jump etc

ChikaraShref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ChikaraShref
Member since 2011 • 4721 Posts
a number of things can break the inversion. for example: -bugs/glitches -loading screens or having to manually reload a save file when you die -bad voice acting -annoying characters -unrealistic choices made by the protagonist (enslaved comes to mind) -slow moving plot/time between action sequences/failure to keep the gamers attention avoiding these is the first step to an immersive game. this is a big part of why the uncharted series seems so immersive
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Stuttering, unstable framerate, screen-tearing, terrible controls, poor optimization.. bugs, glitches.. you name it..
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
Stuttering, unstable framerate, screen-tearing, terrible controls, poor optimization.. bugs, glitches.. Elann2008
...but enough about Lost Planet 2 :lol:
josephl64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 josephl64
Member since 2008 • 4424 Posts
[QUOTE="josephl64"]

LoG-Sacrament
dieing is an interesting one. i think dieing and then reloading a save file is immersion breaking because its not really justified in the game world and it is the game's fault due to how the death scenario is designed. if i die in demon's souls or limbo, the game has worked that death scenario into the game world and i dont feel like im doing anything out of context. even smaller steps like in prince of persia: the sands of time, the prince is narrating the game and correcting himself as the player dies ("no, no, no. thats not how it goes.") to at least keep that narrative from breaking.

that's kind of interesting, i will look into Prince of Persia
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Bad acting / voicing

Bugs / Glitches

Stupid characters that don't fit the game at all

Hatiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Hatiko
Member since 2006 • 4669 Posts

Motion controls. When I move my arm and stuff I remember I am a living person in the physical world and then it all gets ruined and I remember I am playing and not experiencing. Kinda weird since motion controls try to immerse you more into the game.