Blizzard: Warhammer players already returning to Warcraft

This topic is locked from further discussion.

magdalene2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 magdalene2008
Member since 2008 • 77 Posts

While a number of World of Warcraft users dropped the widely popular MMO to play EA's recently released Warhammer Online, more than half of those gamers have already returned to Blizzard's market-leader.

That's according to COO Paul Sams, who said the pattern of players leaving and then returning to Warcraft follows that of any major MMO release.

"We've certainly had some of that happen, which is the same thing we experienced with Age of Conan and each time an MMO has come out we've seen some amount of reduction of use," he said in an exclusive interview published today.

"The good news is that we've seen a significant number of people, well over half, that cited Warhammer as their reason for leaving - they've already returned."

Sams said he was surprised that Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning had a rocky start in Europe, but server troubles and registration hiccups are part and parcel of the MMO business.

"It surprises me because Mythic is a very good company and it doesn't surprise me at the same time because it's really hard, what they're trying to do and what we've done," commented Sams.

"We respect those guys over there a lot and certainly wish them well to succeed but having registration troubles, having server troubles, these are things that come with the territory when you're talking about managing a game as big as World of Warcraft or Warhammer or anything like that. So, it's not a surprise because it is really difficult."

It's not just respect for the team that Sams has – he's was keen to point out that if any other game can come close to the success of Warcraft, it's Warhammer Online, a game that has already notched up 750,000 registered users.

"I think Warhammer is best positioned to succeed out of the various products that have come out thus far since World of Warcraft has come out," he offered.

"It seems to be a good game, certainly a great company, Mythic and Mark [Jacobs] over there and his team, they're very, very talented.

"But I think without EA they would have struggled as well, because EA fortunately for them has a lot of money and so they were able to put forward a lot of marketing dollars and were able to support the huge infrastructure that they require for these kinds of games," added Sams.

The full interview with Paul Sams, where he discusses the challenge of MMO start-ups, Blizzard products on consoles and more, can be read here.

source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/blizzard-warhammer-players-already-returning-to-warcraft

-----------------

"It surprises me because Mythic is a very good company and it doesn't surprise me at the same time because it's really hard, what they're trying to do and what we've done,"commented Sams.

First he praised them, and then stepped on them...... geez.

_AbBaNdOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#2 _AbBaNdOn
Member since 2005 • 6518 Posts
Im not an mmo'er anymore but I would be super excited for the warhammer 40k mmo. Terminator Armor + Assault Cannon = ownage.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

They aren't returning 100% returning like myself I'm testing 3.0.2 (current patch) to see if its any worth while (so far my thoughts on the recent patch are meh but I'm loving the arcane tree on my mage, which btw has been worthless since beta tell now).

If Wotlk doesn't deliver I really see no reason continuing to play WoW.I might actually be done with MMOs in general if Wotlk doesn't shine.

fattychubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 fattychubs
Member since 2002 • 1079 Posts

I think Warhammer attracted some new players, but we really won't know how WAR vs WoW will play out in the long term. Be fun to track and check back though.

I personally enjoy WAR a lot, but can understand how allegiences to either/both sides.

Blaze787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Blaze787
Member since 2007 • 535 Posts
So far I like Warhammer Online, but it's no WoW killer. I'm not really into RvR, so we'll see how long my interest in the PvE holds out.
SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#6 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts
Wonder if it has to do with the release of Wrath of the Lich King next month?
CoreoVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 CoreoVII
Member since 2007 • 1838 Posts

In my opinion Warhammer is on the same level as a good rental. although WOW is extremely repeitive, theirs nothing else to do on a computer so.......................yea.....

If you didn't have to rely so much on noobs and pugs to get anything done I might play more.

Hopefully D3 saves it.....

Sins-of-Mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sins-of-Mosin
Member since 2008 • 3855 Posts

I played WoW for nearly three years total and I was in the WAR beta for a bit and can honestly say I'm 100% done with fantasy MMO's.

The next MMO I'm interested in is Star Trek Online or if they make a 40k version.