Best original music in a video game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shemswen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 shemswen
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I just thought i'll start up a topic discussing the best original video game music, with a) the best original video game soundtrack and b) the best original song in a video game.

I think that the best soundtrack is Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door, and the best song is Open Your Heart from Sonic Adventure.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
I loved Mass Effect's score. Better than Star Wars as far as I'm concerned.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

1. Shadow of the Colossus ~ Roar of the Earth by Koh Otani

The greatest score ever crafted for a video game. What makes it so superb is not just its composition but its usage in the game. When travelling around the Forbidden Lands, you are not assaulted with these bolshy, flashy scores, you are treated to just simple sounds of birds and water... then when you start meeting up with Colossi, that is when the grandiose music starts coming in, most epically.

2. Dracula X: Nocturne in the Moonlight OST by Michiru Yamana

If you've played Symphony of the Night you know it has a stupendous score. From the biggest of cIassical of pieces down to techno/metal it pretty much features something from every kind of music there is and uses it all extremely well. If it weren't for Shadow, this would easily be my first choice for best original scores.

3. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

It seems that any game with "Shadow of" in the title ends up not only being a great game but also having a stupendous original score as well. The epitome of "atmospheric music" is STALKER. I only wish all the songs were available for download on GSC's website, or at least they provide a way of buying the soundtrack because this is easily my choice for third best original score ever made. Dead Cities Pt.2 is a song that just by itself, not even combined with a thought of something from STALKER, can creep me out.

slimdave21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 slimdave21
Member since 2003 • 2646 Posts

- Chrono Cross

- Chrono Trigger

- Final Fantasy VII

- The Megaman and Megaman X series.

kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts

There are so many, hate to leave any out but of the ones I've heard, I'd give the nod to the God of War games, with my favorite track being this one

sandroDX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 sandroDX
Member since 2007 • 3661 Posts

Chrono Cross has the best soundtrack.

Live and Learn (Sonic Adventure 2) by Crush 40 is in my opinion the best song in a videogame.

Open Your Heart is awesome aswell.

Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hoobinator
Member since 2006 • 6899 Posts

-Shadow of the Colossus: Grandiose, epic, pretty much sums it up. Check "The opened way" or "The Farthest land". Composer Koh Ohtani

-Ico: Personal, poetic and natural. Check "Castle in the Mist" or "You were there". Composer: Michiru Oshima

-Silent Hill 2: Rock music that's perfectly suited to the surroundings. I would call it Rock with horror vibes but that only brings up middle aged men with bad make-up, and it's better than that, in fact it's one of the best. Check "Theme of Laura" or "Promise". Composer: Akira Yamaoka.

-Final Fantasy VI: RPG music at its finest, Check "Terra" or "The Prelude". Composer: Nobuo Uematsu.

-X3 Reunion: Synth space operatics, this is how space should sound like. Check: "Peace 3" or "Reunion Theme" (Click on the Think video). Composer: Alexei Zakharov.

-Odin Sphere: Ephemeral fantasy, but a bit thin of the amount of tracks, still awesome though. Check "Opening Title music" or "Shanachie version" Compose: Hitoshi Sakamoto.

Other notable mentions include Dark Cloud 2, Eternal Sonata, FF7 and 8, Morrowind and Oblivion, Shenmue I and II.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

1. Shadow of the Colossus ~ Roar of the Earth by Koh Otani

The greatest score ever crafted for a video game. What makes it so superb is not just its composition but its usage in the game. When travelling around the Forbidden Lands, you are not assaulted with these bolshy, flashy scores, you are treated to just simple sounds of birds and water... then when you start meeting up with Colossi, that is when the grandiose music starts coming in, most epically.

foxhound_fox

I thought the underlaying music was great, but was underwhelmed by the implementation of the music into the game. The devs were trying to create an adaptive score out of pre-recorded music tracks, but unfortunately their methodology seemed rather shoddy and rushed, as transitions between music tracks in Colossi fights was too abrupt, and didn't feature any sort of logical musical shift between the track that would play before you had the advantage, to when you actually had the advantage (furthermore, there was some minor track recycling in the game, which wasn't as big of an issue, but it irked me slightly).

The underlaying music itself, though, is fantastic, and the sountrack has a lot of segments of music within the tracks that never actually was used in the game, which was a shame.

Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Hoobinator
Member since 2006 • 6899 Posts

I thought the underlaying music was great, but was underwhelmed by the implementation of the music into the game. The devs were trying to create an adaptive score out of pre-recorded music tracks, but unfortunately their methodology seemed rather shoddy and rushed, as transitions between music tracks in Colossi fights was too abrupt, and didn't feature any sort of logical musical shift between the track that would play before you had the advantage, to when you actually had the advantage (furthermore, there was some minor track recycling in the game, which wasn't as big of an issue, but it irked me slightly).

The underlaying music itself, though, is fantastic, and the sountrack has a lot of segments of music within the tracks that never actually was used in the game, which was a shame.

Skylock00

Yep, one of the technical limitations of the console and the music format. Was one of the reasons that Nintendo still stuck with MIDI with Twilight Princess.

I never really noticed the abruptness of the change of music, nor its delay so much whilst playing. What did irk me though was after listening to the full album, half of it is missing from the game. There are some amazing pieces which barely get played in the game, if at all.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Skylock00

Yep, one of the technical limitations of the console and the music format. Was one of the reasons that Nintendo still stuck with MIDI with Twilight Princess.Hoobinator
Honestly, though, I really don't buy that excuse for what Nintendo did with Twilight Princess, because the loss of detail in adaptivity from going to a more live recorded score is offset by the extreme leaps made in expression that can be made through live music.

This is especially the case in sections of the game that didn't even require adaptive score work, like the title screen, pre-set cutscenes, and other moments, which could have all featured pre-recorded tracks instead of the sampled/sequenced worked used. Most of the adaptive aspects of the audio featured crossfades from one track to another, which would have taken more resources with pre-recorded audio, yes, but is entirely possible given current technology, where you can even make transitions to and from pre-recorded audio tracks on the downbeats of measures and such.

It could've been a limitation of the engine/coding that was used, probably, but it still upset me quite a bit.

Twilight Princess was one of the most dissappionting games for me in recent history in terms of the soundtrack, especially given that the trailer for the game feautres full, live orchestral music, but none of that is actually featured in the game itself.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PBSnipes

3. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

It seems that any game with "Shadow of" in the title ends up not only being a great game but also having a stupendous original score as well. The epitome of "atmospheric music" is STALKER. I only wish all the songs were available for download on GSC's website, or at least they provide a way of buying the soundtrack because this is easily my choice for third best original score ever made. Dead Cities Pt.2 is a song that just by itself, not even combined with a thought of something from STALKER, can creep me out.

foxhound_fox
I never really noticed the music in Stalker other than the song playing at the main menu, but that on its own was enough to let me know I better have an extra pair of boxers handy.
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

Shadow of the Colossus is the best original music in a vidogame imo. My favourites are:

Those who remain, the demise of the ritual and idol collapses.

To the guys who said there were many tracks which haven't been used in the game, they did use every piece of music in the OST. Don't press start and keep watching the trailer before the intro and you get a track, when you're exploring in the open world you hear many tracks, when you enter an area where a colossi awaits, you hear a different track. they'rmini tracks used as a background music which is barely heard.

Kreatzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Kreatzion
Member since 2003 • 6468 Posts

Everything from Xenogears. I personally think this is Yasunori Mitsuda's best work.

Personal top 3 songs from Xenogears.
1- Lost... Broken Shards (This song can actually make me cry. 9 times out of 10 it does.)
2- The One Who is Torn Apart (You really get a sense of despair and fear from this track.)
3- Sea of Bond and Fire (Greatest song to have an introduction with. Sets the games mood so well)

Honorable mentions
Grahf: Emperor of Darkness (Second best villain theme)
Leftovers of the Dreams of the Strong (Tell me this song does not pump you up.)

Here are links to all of the songs I gave. You better listen to them or else.
http://www.xgam.org/xenogears/downloads/music/1_23.mid
http://www.xgam.org/xenogears/downloads/music/2_13.mid
http://www.xgam.org/xenogears/downloads/music/1_3.mid
http://www.xgam.org/xenogears/downloads/music/1_13.mid
http://www.xgam.org/xenogears/downloads/music/1_15.mid

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
My favorite soundtrack is definitely Chrono Trigger's. In fact now that I think of it I need that on my ipod asap.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Skylock00

To the guys who said there were many tracks which haven't been used in the game, they did use every piece of music in the OST.

gamingqueen
I didn't say that they didn't use every track, but they definitely did not use every piece of music in the soundtrack, as there are several measures from various songs that are cut out of the Game versions of the songs, which is an accurate observation from listening through the soundtrack and playing through the game several times.
roadkill103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 roadkill103
Member since 2007 • 59 Posts
i would sya indigo prophecy, halo, or stubbs the zombie.
saucybag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 saucybag
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Jet set (or grind) radio and Jet set radio future each have an excellent soundtrack that really adds to the tone and feel of the game. I really got into this game and a big part of that was the soundtrack.

Also must add that the original super mario bros has an amazing score, if not the best score in video game history! perfecly blends to the gameplay.

Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts
Star Ocean the second story
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 foxhound_fox

Skylock00

Well, it is easily the best they could have done with what they had. :P

And I would agree with you and Hoobinator, most of the best tracks have maybe a single phrase in the game and many are completely missing altogether.

For what it was I really think it was the best way they could use the pre-recorded tracks, especially considering they weren't playing them all the time and attempted to create a mood with the music itself.

I never really noticed the music in Stalker other than the song playing at the main menu, but that on its own was enough to let me know I better have an extra pair of boxers handy.
PBSnipes

Which is one of the reasons why I think it is so great. Music that is not noticed is normally the stuff underlying beneath the surface, pulling at your insides, pushing you directions you may or may not want to travel, sending you into another world completely... just adding to the masterful atmosphere that was presented in the game.

And the one thing that struck me most about the actually noticeable music was that I could sit beside some stalkers at a campfire in the middle of the night out in the middle of nowhere with no light except that of the fire just listening to the guy play the guitar. I would get lost in the world just sitting there doing nothing to advance the story of the game.

I would definitely suggest going to the STALKER website and downloading the tracks they have there because once you listen to them outside the context of the game you say to yourself: "oh, I remember that track now!" I caught myself doing that a lot.
thekodaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thekodaman
Member since 2006 • 1733 Posts

1. Rome: Total War - Journey to Rome.

2. Medieval II - Song for Toomba

3. Elder Sctrolls III - Title Music (forgotten it's name)

4. Shadow of the Colossus - The Opened Way

5. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune - Title Music (doesn't have a name as far as i know).

KGB32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KGB32
Member since 2007 • 4279 Posts
all of the silent hill's (luckily i have every OST from the silent hill games, even the rare Singles), Rez, Zone of the Enders, FFX, FF8, Shadow of the Colossus, and some others....
G-Man88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 G-Man88
Member since 2006 • 941 Posts

Final Fantasy games of course! Nobuo Uematsu is a genious and should be doing music for movies. OMG MIDI-like music is so much better than current games music!

Kreatzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kreatzion
Member since 2003 • 6468 Posts
I'm mad no one commented on the Xenogears music. Shame on you, you ignorant fools.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Skylock00

I'm mad no one commented on the Xenogears music. Shame on you, you ignorant fools.Kreatzion
I could say the same of people not mentioning games that have music done by Masashi Hamauzu, but I don't, because to a degree, those games typically aren't as much in the forefront as others in people's minds regarding the music.

No need to resort to such words. ;)

Halo773ER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Halo773ER
Member since 2003 • 726 Posts
i honestly think Halo series has one of the best Atmospheric music ever. the music comes at the perfect time and just flows with what ever you are doing.
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PBSnipes
i honestly think Halo series has one of the best Atmospheric music ever. the music comes at the perfect time and just flows with what ever you are doing.Halo773ER
Some of it is good, but I think they overuse it. You're almost constantly bombarded by this big, epic scores. It worked well in Halo:CE, but in Halo 2 and 3 there simply wasn't enough variation.
ice_radon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 ice_radon
Member since 2002 • 70464 Posts
Shadow of the Colossus- It really drove home the whole isolation theme. STALKER- Yes, the game sucked, but the soundtrack was good. Metal Gear Solid 3- This made half of the game...the music really highlighted the dramatic parts of the game like no other. Final Fantasy VIII- Its a final fantasy game, nuff said.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#28 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
If You put as much attention to details of a game as some of You, standing still at its most beautiful aspects, You get ten times the value for Your money. It makes me happy to see that happening. With less You enjoy more, so that more is a heaven.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 foxhound_fox
i honestly think Halo series has one of the best Atmospheric music ever. the music comes at the perfect time and just flows with what ever you are doing.Halo773ER

I myself find the music in Halo doesn't fit with the action on screen at all. It is great music but it is used in all the wrong places... which kind of defeats the purpose.
dayaccus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dayaccus007
Member since 2007 • 4349 Posts
LOTR Battle for Middle Earth - the soundtrack was great
Halo773ER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Halo773ER
Member since 2003 • 726 Posts
well what about when you're going to fight the flood the music changes dramatically or when u exit a quiet area and then all hell breaks loose the music gets all jumpy and lets u know to expect to fight hard. wehn ur outside in forested area u hear hose african beats. i beleive the music is very atmospheric but then again music is a very big part of my life so i prob see things a bit different.
slimdave21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 slimdave21
Member since 2003 • 2646 Posts

I'm mad no one commented on the Xenogears music. Shame on you, you ignorant fools.Kreatzion

Ya the Xenogears music owns.

-INKling-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 -INKling-
Member since 2007 • 4237 Posts

There are so many, hate to leave any out but of the ones I've heard, I'd give the nod to the God of War games, with my favorite track being this one

kfjl

Absolutely, I am always surprised that God of War is rarely cited in soundtrack threads. It's such a great score.

samwithak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 samwithak
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Undoubtedly, the greatest (and most surprising) song from a videogame, is Shin Onigashima from Ice Climbers. Listen to it, and you'll won't believe a song like it is from Ice Climbers. I've only played the first Ice climbers game on the NES, but according to Super Smash Bros. Brawl, it's from Ice Climbers. The best videogame soundtrack, I'd have to say: - Castlevania Bloodlines (Megadrive/Genesis) It ****in' rules!!
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts

More love needs to be shown for The Longest Journey/Dreamfall. Fantastic orchestral score.

Morrowind was also quite good. Jeremy Soule's work generally pleases me.

The main themes from both these games are some of the most memorablemusic I've heard in a game.

Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

Too many to mention, but let's see:

Sonic 3 - Sandopolis, Mid boss and level end boss, final boss - same with Sonic3 and Knuckles.

Castlevania - Bloody Tears, Simon's Theme, Vampire Killer, Iron Blue Intention, Blood Relations.

Final Fantasy - One Winged Angel, Aeris Theme, Eyes on Me, Melodies of Life, Suteki Da Ne, Battle of the Silver Dragons, Seymour's Theme, To Zanarkand, All three final boss pieces from Final Fantasy 8.

Arc The Lad - Natural Selection

Sonic 3D Games - Open Your Heart, Live and Learn, What I'm Made Of, His World

Suikoden - Gothic Neclord, Tragic Battle, Requiem of Grief, Exceeding Love, La Passione Commuove La Storia and so many more

Wild Arms - Into The Wilderness, Battle with Zeik, Funeral March

Ace Combat - Zero, The Journey Home, The Unsung War

Gran Turismo(boring games) - As Heaven Is Wide, Moon Over The Castle

Lost Odyessy - Eclipse of Time

Silent Hill - She

G-Darius - You, I Am Alive

Secret of Mana - Danger, The Dark Star

Star Trek Legacy - Opening Theme, Cautious Battle(if that's waht it's called, a nice track anyway)

Far too many to mention.

R/T

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#37 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

A recent discovery to the game i'm playing at this moment. I love the battle music to one of the stages in StreetFighter 4. The one with the children cheering the fight on in the background. Here's a link, it's even better in game because the music changes depending on the situation.

Great game, I love Capcom, they rekindle my faith in all things Japanese.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Skylock00
Please don't bump threads that are over a year old. Thanks!