Best Final Fantasy?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DiminixZor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DiminixZor
Member since 2010 • 149 Posts

Wich one is the best?

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#2 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
9, then 6.
VVatson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 VVatson
Member since 2006 • 714 Posts

6 > 4 > 7

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 TheTrueMagusX1
Member since 2009 • 2560 Posts

For me its Final Fantasy VI hands down, though you should of included more FFs on your poll. But FFVI is up there in my top three favorite games of all time for a reason, and thats because its just an amzing game with an awesome cast of characters and awesome story! And the best FF Villian, Kefka who will blow Sephiroth out of the water any day of the week!

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

Out of the ones that I've played, I actually enjoyed XII the best. The story and characters sucked, but the gameplay and the environments felt refreshing in a way.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Final Fantasy VI, or Final Fantasy III as I played it. The game is freaking great. Awesome story, great characters, great graphics, and great battles/powers. And it is on of the greatest consoles of all-time (THE greatest, IMO), the SNES.

TerragonSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 TerragonSix
Member since 2010 • 390 Posts

For me its Final Fantasy VI hands down, though you should of included more FFs on your poll.TheTrueMagusX1

THIS.

Gotta say FF VI (FF III, whatever), is the best Final Fantasy game in the series. I know a lot of the young blood won't like to hear it, because of FF VII. But for expectation, Final Fantasy VI blew me away completely. Wonderful storyline and one of the better villians in video games, Kefka. My memorable moment when I first played this is when Terra uses her magic for the first time, and the characters with her absolutely freak out at first...

"What was that?!"

"It was Magic!"

"Magic?!"

"M-A-G-I-C!!!"

Then they both act like fan boys in love with Terra. It put me in stitches watching it.

Another moment was on the ghost train, and if you have a ghost helping you in your party, when you get to the part where the other ghosts surround you, even the ghost in your party freaks out too.... XD

Whew... I've played this game too much.

BTW, FF VIII is second on my list. ;)

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

FFVII and I just played it for the first time ever this year so, there's no nostalgia or any other stuff clouding my judgement.

AgentApollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AgentApollo
Member since 2010 • 119 Posts

9 are teh bezt in teh werlds.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#10 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9177 Posts

It's FFIX for me and VII for second

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

For me its Final Fantasy VI hands down, though you should of included more FFs on your poll.TerragonSix

THIS.

Gotta say FF VI (FF III, whatever), is the best Final Fantasy game in the series. I know a lot of the young blood won't like to hear it, because of FF VII. But for expectation, Final Fantasy VI blew me away completely. Wonderful storyline and one of the better villians in video games, Kefka. My memorable moment when I first played this is when Terra uses her magic for the first time, and the characters with her absolutely freak out at first...

"What was that?!"

"It was Magic!"

"Magic?!"

"M-A-G-I-C!!!"

Then they both act like fan boys in love with Terra. It put me in stitches watching it.

Another moment was on the ghost train, and if you have a ghost helping you in your party, when you get to the part where the other ghosts surround you, even the ghost in your party freaks out too.... XD

Whew... I've played this game too much.

BTW, FF VIII is second on my list. ;)

Agreed those are all great moments, but there is one thing about the Ghost Train that is amazing. The scene with Cyan and his family on the train, probably one of the most heart wrenching scenes in a game....

blooddog28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#12 blooddog28
Member since 2008 • 2049 Posts
Going to get a lot of hate for this, but... FFX
aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#13 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts
Final Fantasy VI by a LONGSHOT. The only RPG I ever played I enjoyed nearly as much was Dragon Quest III.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

VII fpr me.

Khocol4te

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Khocol4te
Member since 2010 • 284 Posts

VI, VII, and VIII were my favorites.

Fusionmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 Fusionmix
Member since 2010 • 1656 Posts

FFIV DS is the definitive version of the best FF, before the series started getting self-important and whiny.

jd7904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 jd7904
Member since 2004 • 101 Posts

FF IV (II on SNES) for me because it had such a great story and the most memorable soundtrack in the series

djmattmg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 djmattmg
Member since 2010 • 38 Posts

VI, VII, and VIII were my favorites.

Khocol4te

I second this. I'd probably rank them in that order, and then all the others after it.

TleilaxuMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 TleilaxuMaster
Member since 2005 • 272 Posts

Out of the ones that I've played, I actually enjoyed XII the best. The story and characters sucked, but the gameplay and the environments felt refreshing in a way.

Legendaryscmt

I agree with this except for the part where the story and characters sucked. Because they don't. Final Fantasy XII is great in every way.

As for the ones in the poll, VII is good but not nearly the best, IX is just okay, VI is boring, and IV is a strong contender for the title of worst Final Fantasy.

toxic_jackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 toxic_jackal
Member since 2007 • 1793 Posts

Story-wise, probably Final Fantasy Tactics. Gameplay wise, I would have to say Final Fantasy XII.

Stange13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Stange13
Member since 2009 • 105 Posts

VI FTW!

Yo-gan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Yo-gan
Member since 2006 • 1878 Posts
For me it's Final Fantasy VII. FFX would definitely be up there for me aswell. they are all fantastic games, The only FF's I havnt completed are III and XIII yet.
JopaGeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JopaGeri
Member since 2004 • 538 Posts

Gotta be 9 love everything about that game the music and flow everything!

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
I'll say VI though IX and IV are close. Tactics beats all imo though.
blueness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 blueness
Member since 2002 • 1838 Posts

No X? Why no X?

X was awesome.

Emurozii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Emurozii
Member since 2010 • 269 Posts

X will always be my favourite. Out of the ones on the poll, though, either 6 or 7.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#27 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

Mine would have to be Final Fantasy 7. It just changed everything for me with games. I still play it today.

codezer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#28 codezer0
Member since 2004 • 15898 Posts
For me... 1 : Surprisingly not craptacular. It was grind-tastic for the time, but the GBA remake and its updated translation made it far easier to get into. 2 : should be beaten like a red-headed step-child. What OTHER game would have you willingly team-kill for stat-building? Oh, wait... 8 did. :| 3 (DS) : too freaking hard for its own good. 4 : godly. Even to this day I can replay the original all over again. The grind never felt that bad, because you usually fought just enough to level up enough for what magic you needed, and it was the only game in the series where i was able to find nearly every side quest and complete them without requiring a strategy guide of any sort. That in itself is saying a lot. 5 : original translation was awful. It took a fan-translated copy for me to "get" what was going on, and a simple ABP code made the game incredibly enjoyable. 6 : I might have more to say about this one, but honestly... I never finished it. Even if I had codes for the more mundane stuff like giving gau all possible rages, once the world in it went to **** I got hopelessly lost, and always felt like I had missed something, and thus motivation to continue also went down the crapper. 7 : oh hell yes. Then again, this is the only game that I've actually went and re-bought 3 times... all because my damn playstation kept scratching the disks! :evil: 8 : **** this game. Seriously, just **** Square for giving us this crap. 9 : sadly, never got to play it. being that poor back then, and many rental places just started not carrying games or closing up altogether then.
Beard_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Beard_
Member since 2010 • 1066 Posts

I'd say FFX. It was my first FF, and because of this I still enjoy the story after having played the game about 10 times. I also liked the sphere grid and dislike ATB, so this is an easy choice.

Close seconds are FFIV, FFVI, and FFVIII. I liked all of them quite a bit, but there were significant problems with each of them that detract from my enjoyment too much to call them "best in series".

I'm currently playing through the NES version of FFIII and liking it very much. There doesn't seem to be any grinding required to survive, it's more challenging than many of the others, the job system is well implemented considering it was the first time it was used, and there's no ATB.

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#30 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

I have to agree with Ali about which are best. However they were all enjoyable.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

I can't say :P

Final Fantasy VI : Oh, how I hate this game. I forced myself to play it. I couldn't stand this game at all. The characters were just terrible. I couldn't connect with the world. Everything seemed so forced.

Crisis Core : Final Fantasy VII : I played FF VII and I knew what was going to happen but it still didn't stop me from being on the verge of tears. One of the best stories in video games. I showed the ending to my siblings and even they fell in love with it. Zack is easily the most likable protagonist ever. His character is made even better by the VA Rick Gomez. Takeharu Ishimura's themes like "Under the Apple Tree" and "Price of Freedom" are simple but beautiful songs.... A lot of the songs were modified versions of these but still... it was excellent. Ayaka's "Why" is an excellent way to end an excellent ending.

Final Fantasy VII : Amazing game. The characters were lovable, the story was excellent and gameplay was fun. It's still fun to play. I have a lot of fond memories of this game. Music was amazing... "One Winged Angel" is the most epic boss theme ever.

Final Fantasy VIII : Stupid Triple Triad... made my characters over powered from the beginning of the game. I even managed to get Leon's ultimate limit break... Talk about game breaking design choices... I really wanted to play this game because of Faye Wong's "Eyes on Me" but sadly, I couldn't force myself to play a game with broken mechanics. Triple Triad, the Junction system and scaling enemies were the reason why I couldn't finish this game.

Final Fantasy IX : It started off to be very charming and ending in a way that nearly left me to tears. An extremely lovable cast (Vivi!!) and story. I had a lot of :lol: moments in this game. The gameplay was excellent and the graphics were some of the best on the system."Memories of Life" is a beautiful song.

Final Fantasy X : I played it once, didn't like it after I got to [spoiler] Seymour and Yuna's wedding scene [/spoiler] . I played it again last year and fell in love with it. It's an awesome game with one of the most addicting sidequests ever : Blitzball! Story is excellent, graphics were top notch for the time and gameplay was fun. I've spent 300 hours on this series (both playthroughs took me 150 hours each because of Penance. I have the international version.) The music was decent, nothing really memorable.

Final Fantasy XII : I love the graphics, love the world, love the battle system but the story and characters are horrendous. Music is too ambient and easily forgettable. I do not enjoy reading archaic English and I absolutely abhor politics. It's a shame really... It's a very cool game to play.

Final Fantasy XIII : Loved the graphics, the music (SNOW'S THEME!!!) and the story and combat system were decent. The only thing sad about this game were the lack of cities (taking out the exploratory fun), interaction with NPCs (illusions like this makes the world seem more real), characters (GTFO Serah and Vanille. Never come back. I'll rip your spinal cords out if I hear you speak again. EVER.) and sidequests that are very similar to the older games.

DealRogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DealRogers
Member since 2005 • 4589 Posts

Legendaryscmt
I agree with you. Not exactly the one I enjoyed the most, but it really is the most detailed and with the best environments.
TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheTrueMagusX1

Final Fantasy VI : Oh, how I hate this game. I forced myself to play it. I couldn't stand this game at all. The characters were just terrible. I couldn't connect with the world. Everything seemed so forced.

fend_oblivion

Oh Please explain why you hate the characters in this game? I donot find many people who hate this game at all, and I am curious why you hate the cast of characters, because for me it is a big cast, but to me the best cast of characters in a Final Fantasy Game!

kingmav222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kingmav222
Member since 2004 • 493 Posts

FFX for me, followed closely by 9.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

[QUOTE="fend_oblivion"]

TheTrueMagusX1

Oh Please explain why you hate the characters in this game? I donot find many people who hate this game at all, and I am curious why you hate the cast of characters, because for me it is a big cast, but to me the best cast of characters in a Final Fantasy Game!

It has been around 7 years since I've played that game so I don't remember all the details... Characters like Terra were annoying. I didn't care for the problems she had because she was an Esper (or part Esper, I'm not sure...)Personally speaking, I didn't care for the problems the characters had. I never liked any of them. I couldn't connect with any of the characters. Not liking the cast and playing the game was a terrible experience.

Sorry for not being too specific. Time has made me forget a lot of the reasons why I hated this game. I was going to stop playing RPGs after FF VI (because the amount of time I invested ie, 60-78 hours were not worth it) but it was Chrono Trigger that made me forget the idea. To me, it was a pleasure to play through and well worth the time :) It still remains to this day, my favorite video game of all time.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheTrueMagusX1

[QUOTE="TheTrueMagusX1"]

[QUOTE="fend_oblivion"]

fend_oblivion

It has been around 7 years since I've played that game so I don't remember all the details... Characters like Terra were annoying. I didn't care for the problems she had because she was an Esper (or part Esper, I'm not sure...)Personally speaking, I didn't care for the problems the characters had. I never liked any of them. I couldn't connect with any of the characters. Not liking the cast and playing the game was a terrible experience.

Sorry for not being too specific. Time has made me forget a lot of the reasons why I hated this game. I was going to stop playing RPGs after FF VI (because the amount of time I invested ie, 60-78 hours were not worth it) but it was Chrono Trigger that made me forget the idea. To me, it was a pleasure to play through and well worth the time :) It still remains to this day, my favorite video game of all time.

Personally I donot see how you found Terra annoying by anymeans, but I guess each to their own as they say.

snes_vs_ps1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 320

#37 snes_vs_ps1
Member since 2009 • 10359 Posts

Hindle_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Hindle_1
Member since 2006 • 331 Posts

FFX

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9620 Posts

Well, I dont really get into the whole Japanese, North American debate with numbers, so number wise (released in NA), so I would say.

1. 9 Is my favorite hands down. I didnt really like the monkey boy main character, but in terms of gameplay and features, I feel it got everything perfect.

2. The original FF gets my vote. Why, because it started everything off, and it is the only FF I can claim beating more then twice. A great game for its time, and still under rated today by game critics that have probably never played it.

3. FF3 (SNES), A great cast of characters set in a lovable bame... This game gets 3rd on my list simply because I really hate the 1st couple hours of gameplay.

4. FF2 (SNES) I really dont have anything bad to say about this games, other then the fact at weird times it always seems to get glitchy for me. (This experience is through several different copies)

5. FF8 This game got a lot of hate, but why? A great game with a slighlty different feel. The card collecting game was clutch imo though.

6. FF10 Overall I really enjoyed this game, it would be ranked higher, but once again imo, the sissy main characters that FF always seem to get is a little much in this one or me.

7. FF7 This one rounds out my list. I remember when I was younger that it was a fun, groundbreaking game. Looking back now, it still holds its bearing as one time king, but it just hasn't held up well (imo so stop crying).

Don't even get me started with anything after 10... I think they are complete crap, and turning away from turn based full party control is just awful. I can't remember a game I was more disappointed in more then FF12... except maybe Killzone2, but that's another story entirely.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13566 Posts

Final Fantasy IX. I loved the world, story, characters and the side quests. The game has a certain charm to it compared to the others. The second best is FFVI then FFVII. However I still haven't started on FFX and FFXII yet but it will be tough to beat VI and IX.

Avatar image for strategik_basic
strategik_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 strategik_basic
Member since 2002 • 364 Posts

Tactics beats all imo though.Eikichi-Onizuka

I couldn't agree more.

MGSFan92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MGSFan92
Member since 2008 • 1525 Posts
Final Fantasy XII, The story was okay, but the music could become pretty catchy, the graphics were sweet, the gameplay was perfect once you got the hang of it, I love Ivalice and the art direction of the game, and the open-world design just blew my mind. All of that plus the endless amount of sidequests, secrets and hunts you can discover are just so awesome.
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Out of these, I vote for Final Fantasy 7. Which was the first game I ever played on the original Playstation. A game that I still have.

F0urTwenty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 F0urTwenty
Member since 2010 • 1842 Posts
9 and then 6 ;).