At what point does gaming become an addiction?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Defy_The_Fallen
Defy_The_Fallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 Defy_The_Fallen
Member since 2011 • 621 Posts
3 Hours daily? 4? 6? 10?! Buying every game you see because the game looks amazing but leaving them at the back of your shelf and continueing on with black ops? I don't know! Personally I play 3 - 4 hours a day. I want to buy every game I see, bulletstorm, crysis 2, homefront, pokemon white, MvC3, but I'm 14 so I just don't have the money. I own all next-gen consoles besides a high tech PC which I'm getting this year. I have pokemon and various other game posters in my room, about 5 editions of guiness world records gamers editions, tonnes of collectible game items..... I think I'm addicted :P
ratchet200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ratchet200
Member since 2005 • 1620 Posts

Gee i hope 3-4 hours isn't addiction or i'm screwed O.o. I'll buy some games out of impulse either because the price is lower than other stores, or theres a limited edition. Also i dont play Black Ops so i'm safe on that front :P

Drakebunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Drakebunny
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts

Hey Magicalclick, I always find myself reading your sig, lol.

Anyways, I think 3-4 hours a day is pretty healthy. It's not like you're putting videogames over school, or something that you or your parents feel is important. Hell, on a weekday, I would average about 6 hours a day, which I think is a lot, but I digress, as this is your topic and not mine.

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
3-4 hours a day is pretty excessive. But as long as it isn't hurting you emotionally or physically in any way I don't thing it can be described as an addiction.
BladesOfAthena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BladesOfAthena
Member since 2008 • 3938 Posts
As long as its not at the expense of work, school, or your social life then its not an addiction.
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

It's an addiction when you know you're playing too much. I found myself often to not make my homework because I felt like gaming back in high school. People called me an addict, but other people didn't make it to do something other that's as fun to them. Don't buy all that addiction crap you read. I don't even believe you can get addicted that easily. Imagine you like playing soccer and abandon other obligations to do so, no one will call you an addict, because it's soccer, a sport. Gaming is no different, it's entertainment over work, you choose.

You'll know yourself when you're addicted but you won't care because you like doing it. :P

ryden14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ryden14
Member since 2009 • 211 Posts
3 Hours daily? 4? 6? 10?! Buying every game you see because the game looks amazing but leaving them at the back of your shelf and continueing on with black ops? I don't know! Personally I play 3 - 4 hours a day. I want to buy every game I see, bulletstorm, crysis 2, homefront, pokemon white, MvC3, but I'm 14 so I just don't have the money. I own all next-gen consoles besides a high tech PC which I'm getting this year. I have pokemon and various other game posters in my room, about 5 editions of guiness world records gamers editions, tonnes of collectible game items..... I think I'm addicted :PDefy_The_Fallen
read my last thread i created man do not get into this habbit
Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
It really isn't a measure of how much is too much, but what is taken away to make time for games. If anything.
poisonelf1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 poisonelf1
Member since 2011 • 93 Posts
When it becomes addicting is when: You make false excuses to family/girlfriend/meals/pets to stay on the game. When extremely addicting: No longer false excuses just outright say your staying on the computer. Perhaps time to through it away: A absolute jumping up down fit, when you at anytime may have to leave the computer for any reason.
mariomaster16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#11 mariomaster16
Member since 2008 • 762 Posts

3 Hours daily? 4? 6? 10?! Buying every game you see because the game looks amazing but leaving them at the back of your shelf and continueing on with black ops? I don't know! Personally I play 3 - 4 hours a day. I want to buy every game I see, bulletstorm, crysis 2, homefront, pokemon white, MvC3, but I'm 14 so I just don't have the money. I own all next-gen consoles besides a high tech PC which I'm getting this year. I have pokemon and various other game posters in my room, about 5 editions of guiness world records gamers editions, tonnes of collectible game items..... I think I'm addicted :PDefy_The_Fallen

Ever seen Welcome to the NHK? If not, don't watch it if you're only 14, it's kinda mature. But anyway, it deals with addiction and breaking habits. You want to buy every cool game that comes out? That just means you're like every other teenager out there, myself included. As long as you're not stealing games, or money to but games, wanting games isn't something to worry about. As for playing 3 hours of COD, that's nothing compared to my roommate. Just don't let it interfere with the rest of your life. But also, enjoy it while you can, the freedom to be able to do that. When you get to college, you'll find you don't have the time to do that much gaming; except on Saturdays. ;)

Cube_of_MooN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 Cube_of_MooN
Member since 2005 • 9286 Posts
I'd say that you'd be closing in on addiction if you literally could not go an entire day without playing a game. Like, if not playing a game for a certain amount of time started causing you discomfort, then I'd start to worry.
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

3-4 hours daily isn't that bad. Sometimes I only play 30 minutes a day for a week cuz i'm so busy, then I'll play like 6 hours a day cuz i've got nothing going. on.

Zilch90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Zilch90
Member since 2009 • 354 Posts

I think that as long as playing videogames isn't cutting into work/school/family then you are probably fine. During the school year I normally play at most 2 hours a day, and normally go several days a week not playing at all. But then during summer I usually play games a lot more just because I have so much more free time.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

When it begins to mess up your real life.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Once you start injecting, smoking, drinking or snort gaming....that's when you know you have a addiction to it.

Smug_Duckling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Smug_Duckling
Member since 2011 • 333 Posts
If you choose gaming over eating, it's safe to say you have an addiction.
skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 skooks
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts

3-4 hours a day is a hobby, not an addiction. Pretty sure an addiction is characterised not just by being physically or psychologically dependent on something, but by there being some sort of severe trauma when you have to stop.

Talus057

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#19 Talus057
Member since 2004 • 358 Posts

When I first got a PC many years ago, I was playing Ultima Online for like 12 hours at a time. I think that would be an addiction. When you forget to go to sleep or start ignoring the fact that you have to use the bathroom or you are getting hungry, then I would say that is an addiction.

I don't have that addiction anymore mostly because nothing I do on the PC is as entertaining as it used to be. I just don't much care anymore.

I think it's a phase. You grow out of it once you lose interest.

Besides, honestly it's nobodies business what you do with your life. So what if it is an addiction? It's not like you are shooting up speedballs.

marcogamer07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20 marcogamer07
Member since 2008 • 1615 Posts

I know all of you are going to think I'm a complete douchebag for saying this...but if you so much as get addicted to video games to the point where it has taken over your real life, you are a loser. No normal person in their right mind would ever allow video games to take over their life. It's just unthinkable.

I find video game addiction very hard to take seriously, even though I know it exists. I personally think it's as big of a joke as "cyber bullying".

For the people who play over 8 hours a day (EVERYDAY), don't you get bored? Don't you get hungry or thirsty? Don't you have to go to the bathroom? Aren't you worried about failing your classes at school and not having a future? Aren't you worried about keeping your career or job? Aren't you scared for your health?

I know I would get bored if I played a game for 3 or 4 hours straight. And yes there are days when I have nothing to do and I sit on the computer playing video games ALL DAY. But I can safely say it's not everyday...

Everyone has their gaming days where they play for over 5 hours or pull all nighters doing it, but my post is directed at people that do it every single day. Put the damn controller down, turn off the TV or computer and put your real life first.

I've heard of people getting addicted to drugs...but **** video games? It's a form of entertainment, nothing more...

marcogamer07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 marcogamer07

You play 3-4 hours a day, for you it's just a hobby. Gaming is something I enjoy too, okay A LOT. It is my favourite hobby after all. I can tell it's something you really enjoy.However, is it affecting your grades at school? Is it affecting your health?

I'm guilty of buying games too and then not playing them...I must have at least 100 games that I haven't even played...lol. :P

I just don't understand how somebody can play for 7-8+ hours every single day. It's unthinkable...

Ultimately, it's nobody's business what one does with their life like that other guy said. I'm just giving everybody my input, basically what I would say if you were to actually ask me about the topic.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#22 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

When you can't go more than one day without gaming, and you simply MUST buy every good looking game you see. Me, if I wanted to, could go weeks without gaming. Hell, I've done it before.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Every gamer out there has had he's addictive game that he couldn't put down. Addiction isn't bad, if it's in control, like making good use of your time schedule.

Addiction is bad only if it starts to interfere with your daily life in a negative way, on a longer term. Like say.. being 25 - 30 years old, no job, no girlfriend/wife, still staying with your parents, no responsabilities.

booomer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 booomer69
Member since 2005 • 4107 Posts

People need to realise that there in a video game forum at the end of the day,your ALL addicted to video games,get over it.Xbox is just for entertainment,your not really gaining anything besides the satisfaction of beating someone in a game.Just control your addictions,especially ones that are unproductive like gaming. I mean i love playing xbox but seriously your doing nothing accomplishing just killing the time.If your playing everyday then you should put the controller down for a few days,gooutside breath some air ,becreative ,hang out with some friends,do whatever.I havent had my xbox for 10 months,i sold it because i feard i would become even more of a nerd lol. Now i recently bought an xbox and its on its way in the mail as we speak,but i sure as hell wont be hunting for achievements AT ALL anymore,i cant believe i have 40k + gamerscore,that is so f'ing pathetic ,i regret wasting all that time and money so i can just say "hey look i have no life look at my gamerscore" i hate the fact i wastedso much precious time on that nonsence.Now i truelyrealise games are just something you play when your really bored and have absolutely nothing to do. I think your addicted when you continue playing games regardless of having fun or not just playing for the sake of playing. Remember kids ,you wont accomplish your goals ,get a girlfriend ( or keep ), or make much friends if your going home everyday to play xbox. Keep in mind that im only 18 years and i do have friends,i have had girlfriends,and i have accomplished many things ive wanted to do,but in all honesty i could have had ALOT more of those moments if i wouldnt have been at home like a little nerd playing xbox all day. Remmember every addiction progresses if you do it daily,try to put the controller down if you want to change your life,if your happy being in your comfort zone and playing all day then go right ahead,but you will regret that at some point in your life.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts

Its not about the hours you play. If gaming has a negative impact on your life, you realise that and cant stop playing, that means youre addicted.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Addiction is when it interferes with other things. If you have 3-4 hours a day of free time and choose to play games then it's not an addiction. If you have one hour of free time and spend four hours a day playing then it probably is an addiction.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

People need to realise that there in a video game forum at the end of the day,your ALL addicted to video games,get over it.Xbox is just for entertainment,your not really gaining anything besides the satisfaction of beating someone in a game.Just control your addictions,especially ones that are unproductive like gaming. I mean i love playing xbox but seriously your doing nothing accomplishing just killing the time.If your playing everyday then you should put the controller down for a few days,gooutside breath some air ,becreative ,hang out with some friends,do whatever.I havent had my xbox for 10 months,i sold it because i feard i would become even more of a nerd lol. Now i recently bought an xbox and its on its way in the mail as we speak,but i sure as hell wont be hunting for achievements AT ALL anymore,i cant believe i have 40k + gamerscore,that is so f'ing pathetic ,i regret wasting all that time and money so i can just say "hey look i have no life look at my gamerscore" i hate the fact i wastedso much precious time on that nonsence.Now i truelyrealise games are just something you play when your really bored and have absolutely nothing to do. I think your addicted when you continue playing games regardless of having fun or not just playing for the sake of playing. Remember kids ,you wont accomplish your goals ,get a girlfriend ( or keep ), or make much friends if your going home everyday to play xbox. Keep in mind that im only 18 years and i do have friends,i have had girlfriends,and i have accomplished many things ive wanted to do,but in all honesty i could have had ALOT more of those moments if i wouldnt have been at home like a little nerd playing xbox all day. Remmember every addiction progresses if you do it daily,try to put the controller down if you want to change your life,if your happy being in your comfort zone and playing all day then go right ahead,but you will regret that at some point in your life.

booomer69

I change my answer, it's you know you're addicted when you deny it and can't write properly:P

booomer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 booomer69
Member since 2005 • 4107 Posts

lol i might not be able to write but you cant read,i clearly said i was addicted!Ialsosaid I havent had a video game system in 10 months,obviously im not addicted anymore.

max-Emadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 max-Emadness
Member since 2009 • 1781 Posts
As long as its not at the expense of work, school, or your social life then its not an addiction. BladesOfAthena
this. although i shouldnt be talkin coz gaming is my social life
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

An addiction is identified in deprivation: if you can't stay a day without gaming (or anything else) without physically suffering, then you have an addiction. Just because you game on a daily basis doesn't mean you're addicted to it

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

Nah, 3-4 hours a day isn't bad, especially since you're still a kid. Not to sound like a parent or anything, but make sure you stay on top of your schoolwork, having a good education will allow you to do more gaming in the long run ($$$=games). I used to have good long sessions like that every day after high-school, and I was never addicted. Though nowadays I only get about 1-3 hours on workdays and 4-8 hours on my days off.

TehOverkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TehOverkill
Member since 2011 • 754 Posts

I game 14 hours a day, a couple more during weekends, but I'm sure I'm not addicted. I can stop anytime I want.

Anytime.

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
The amount of time you game isn't a sign of addiction IMHO. It's when it impacts your "real" life. Taking time off work, not going to school, rather play Halo than meet other people, breaking in to peoples homes for money for games... :P
CaptainCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#34 CaptainCrazy
Member since 2002 • 6856 Posts
Just ask yourself, does your gaming habits negatively affect other aspects of your life such as school, job, significant others, hygiene/health? If it does then you are an addict.
GamerStevo6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 GamerStevo6
Member since 2009 • 39 Posts

I would consider myself addicted, being on 6+ hours a day given the chance. Don't let it come to that.

Don't become addicted like me. I could perhaps go a day without games, but never more. I even think about them when I'm not even playing them. I sometimes don't do homework because I want to stay on the Xbox. When I'm off the Xbox, its usually to eat, sleep, or go on the computer. Don't become addicted. 3-4 Hours a day is alright perhaps, but don't go higher. Socialise.

marcogamer07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 marcogamer07

booomer69

What I would do if I were you is put down the computer/video games and stop skipping English class. Seriously. Do you really expect people to be able to read this properly?

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
For the people who play over 8 hours a day (EVERYDAY), don't you get bored? Don't you get hungry or thirsty? Don't you have to go to the bathroom? Aren't you worried about failing your classes at school and not having a future? Aren't you worried about keeping your career or job? Aren't you scared for your health?marcogamer07
Not really, i want to level up my character!
LordCronog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LordCronog
Member since 2011 • 47 Posts
There's a number of symptoms linked to gaming addiction 1. Sunlight burns your skin 2.sleeping with your console 3. seeing hallucinations of the game character Mario luring you back to your console 4. having hair on your palms 5. looking for hair on your palms. seriously though, As long as you don't forget there's a world beyond your walls and you only have one life, and cant restart from the most recent checkpoint, your fine.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
Collapsing into a crumpled mess on the floor when you get killed 3 times in a row by an RCXD
XenoLair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#40 XenoLair
Member since 2006 • 4758 Posts
Its an addiction when it becomes a priority. If one plays 12 hours a day but only because he has nothing else to do, its alright - providing you can stop at any time if a particular day gives you no time to game. If you cant - you have a problem :P