Assassin's Creed 4 DLC not coming to Wii U, ever.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

So it begins.

I went into a Wii U purchase knowing full well that any third party support would be tenuous at best, and that it wouldn't last long. Ubisoft was pretty good to the system, but all of their games thus far have bombed at retail, most recently Splinter Cell: Blacklist on Wii U just immediately started collecting dust, despite the effort they apparently put into making it a rather good version.

But yeah, this is not a good sign in my view for Ubisoft and the Wii U. Considering they are the single strongest third party partner Nintendo has had the last year, that's saying something.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#2 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Well, that sucks. Wonder what made them decide to decline bringing it to the Wii U. Curious to see if other publishers will follow suit as well.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Randolph

In other news, the Directors Cut version of Injustice is not coming to Wii U either, because sales of that version were abysmal. It IS coming to PS3 and PS4 as well though. (but not Xbone!)

Oh and Deus Ex: HR Directors Cut is coming to Wii U, PS3, and X360 Oct.22 and costs $49.99 on Wii U, only $29.99 on the other two. *sigh*

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By c_rakestraw  Moderator

What the hell possessed Square Enix to charge full price for the Wii U version but not the other two? It's like they're actively trying to make the Wii U version a total waste.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Randolph

@c_rake said:

What the hell possessed Square Enix to charge full price for the Wii U version but not the other two? It's like they're actively trying to make the Wii U version a total waste.

Which is so strange because that version had a lot of love put into it. Improved graphics, gamepad functionality, altered boss fights that make it feasible to play as a computer nerd or stealth character the whole way through, etc. But the price, it's a non starter for anyone who owns multiple consoles.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

I had contemplated purchasing a Wii U but the support for games is ridiculous. I just hope that Nintendo can perhaps produce a better console the next time around that the game developers will want to support.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Randolph

@RimacBugatti said:

I had contemplated purchasing a Wii U but the support for games is ridiculous. I just hope that Nintendo can perhaps produce a better console the next time around that the game developers will want to support.

I'm still willing to buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games, so it's not a huge problem for me. Wii sold much better and third party support for it was still paltry.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By c_rakestraw  Moderator
@Randolph said:

Which is so strange because that version had a lot of love put into it. Improved graphics, gamepad functionality, altered boss fights that make it feasible to play as a computer nerd or stealth character the whole way through, etc. But the price, it's a non starter for anyone who owns multiple consoles.

I don't know if many Wii U owners would see value in paying full price for a two year-old game, either, regardless of whatever enhancements it's received. It's bad business all around.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#9 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

I've never felt compelled enough to buy DLC in the Assassin's Creed series so this isn't really a big deal to me. I feel like a lot of developers are leaving their Wii U SKUs to die on the market.

The price of Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut is a bigger deal to me. You're charging $49.99 for the Wii U version because...? I really hope they don't play the "it's the next generation version, so that's why it's $49.99" card. That'd be really pathetic. I don't see the PS3/360 versions selling well either.

In Canada you can get boxed versions of the original game for $19.99 or less if you look around, the PC version for $14.99 in stores and on Steam it's even cheaper.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Randolph

I would never buy the original version of Human Revolution again. The boss fights were borked, they forced you to put at least some points into more heavily combat oriented areas of skill. The new game allows you to truly play your way all the way through.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By haziqonfire
@Randolph said:

I would never buy the original version of Human Revolution again. The boss fights were borked, they forced you to put at least some points into more heavily combat oriented areas of skill. The new game allows you to truly play your way all the way through.

It definitely looks much improved over the original. I just think they're a little too late and charging too much, but who knows.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Randolph

@Haziqonfire said:
@Randolph said:

It definitely looks much improved over the original. I just think they're a little too late and charging too much, but who knows.

I reckon that by December it'll be on par with the other two in price, at the latest.

Avatar image for funkymonkey4710
funkymonkey4710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#13 funkymonkey4710
Member since 2005 • 1835 Posts

Right now the only saving grace that makes me want to buy a WiiU is the fact that Nintendo's games are freakin' phenomenal. That and the integration of the Miiverse is pretty awesome.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

This is unfortunate, but not the first time this has happened. There must be a reason publishers aren't supporting DLC on Wii U. I wonder what it is. I was actually considering AC4 on Wii U because they claimed it has better visuals than PS3 or 360 versions, but now I think I might just go for the PS3 version and get the upgrade to the PS4 version sometime down the road.

LunarEclipz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LunarEclipz
Member since 2006 • 36 Posts

@Haziqonfire: Theyre charging more for Wii U and less for 360/PS3 because PS3 360 had Deus Ex HR and Wii did not, so theyre following the "Cheaper upgrade" model for PS3/360 and the " First time game" Model on Wii U.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I don't understand why Ubi isn't allowing DLC for the game, and it is disappointing for those who want it, but I didn't bother with DLC for AC3 and I wouldn't be getting it for IV regardless.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

For everyone wondering why the DLC isn't coming I would say it would again be the small userbase making it a business oriented decision. Sucks for WiiU fans though.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#18  Edited By ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

If they don't think that they can squeeze a profit out of porting DLC, chances are that they're not making profits on games either. You can probably say goodbye to Ubi support on that console, except maybe for 2D platformers.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17833 Posts

@GodModeEnabled said:

For everyone wondering why the DLC isn't coming I would say it would again be the small userbase making it a business oriented decision. Sucks for WiiU fans though.

that doesnt make a whole lot of sense either though.

the hard part is done, the engine is built, and the game works on the wiiu. its not like they neen to build the DLC from the ground up for the wiiu....its just more content running on the same tech. bit more testing involved perhaps but, again, a lot of testing has already been done.

unless nintendo have done something really daft like charge stupid money for distributing DLC to the wiiu (and going by there talk before launch at least thats not it) i dont see any reason why ubisoft would decide not to release DLC.

maybe storage space...thats the only reason i can see for it (though its not a very good reason).

and third parties wonder why they continue to struggle on nintendo platforms. the message is quite clear. if you buy a 3rd party game on a nintendo platform you will be burned. its comical at this stage.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Randolph
@osan0 said:

and third parties wonder why they continue to struggle on nintendo platforms. the message is quite clear. if you buy a 3rd party game on a nintendo platform you will be burned. its comical at this stage.

At least in the case of Human Revolution, that seems to be true. The only real advantage of the Wii U version is not needing a sold separately item for the second screen stuff. So the extra $20 is a hard sell.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Randolph

Toki Tori 2 level editor for Wii U cancelled, developer cites poor sales as the reason.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By haziqonfire
@Randolph said:

Toki Tori 2 level editor for Wii U cancelled, developer cites poor sales as the reason.

Really? I thought it did well on the Wii U. That's a shame.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Randolph

It was just on sale the other week too, may actually still be. I almost got it at full price a few weeks back, but opted for Ducktales instead.