Are we actually enjoying our games more as time goes by or are we just....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

camreeno360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 camreeno360
Member since 2005 • 6850 Posts

getting used to new technical feats, and games are staying at a constant level of enjoyment? Does that make sense? So for example, remember way back when we each played the last generation of gaming consoles for the first time and remember how awesome they felt, and don't you remember how great the graphics and all of that were?.... So as technology progresses, and games are getting more technologically advanced, did the second you first played your PS3/Xbox360/Wii feel better than the second you first played the last batch of consoles?

To sum it up, are games actually getting more enjoyable or are games just staying at a constant level in terms of how impressed we are of them, and therefore games aren't "really" progressing?

R0cky_Racc00n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 R0cky_Racc00n
Member since 2006 • 5088 Posts
I think they go hand in hand. Bigger enviornments mean more amazement and beauty but also means more space and more things to do for enjoyment. Better graphics allow for more emotion and personal connections to be allowed in games.
Soda-Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Soda-Jack
Member since 2008 • 333 Posts

getting used to new technical feats, and games are staying at a constant level of enjoyment? Does that make sense? So for example, remember way back when we each played the last generation of gaming consoles for the first time and remember how awesome they felt, and don't you remember how great the graphics and all of that were?.... So as technology progresses, and games are getting more technologically advanced, did the second you first played your PS3/Xbox360/Wii feel better than the second you first played the last batch of consoles?

To sum it up, are games actually getting more enjoyable or are games just staying at a constant level in terms of how impressed we are of them, and therefore games aren't "really" progressing?

camreeno360
I can appreciate games more now than generations past. I can hardly stand to play games(with a few exceptions) from past generations.
DanteSuikoden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DanteSuikoden
Member since 2008 • 3427 Posts
I think it was better when I was younger first playing Mario 64 and Orcarina of Time and now older playing Mario Galaxies and Twilight Princess. I don't know how to explain it but its like a little emptiness these newer games can't fill
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44486 Posts

Oh yeah I'm definately enjoying games more now then before due to a whole bunc of reasons such as more powerful hardware that can do things in games that were only dreamed of before, the proliferation of online, the inclusion of HDDs, the ability to update consoles so they can do more things, the ability to fix problems in games or to better fine-tune them via patches, being able to enhance and extend the longevity of games through downloadable content, etc.

That's not to say that I didn't really enjoy gaming previously or that I don't enjoy playing games from past generations still because I very much do. Most of my retro gaming is done from the SNES onward but there are still a good number of games from the NES that I still like to go back to. There have simply been too much excellent progression for me to not absolutely love gaming right now.

polarmanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 polarmanda
Member since 2007 • 1412 Posts
I think I enjoyed games more when I was younger. As time goes by I feel that I get less enjoyment out of next gen titles. Thats not to say that I don't enjoy them it's just that I prefered the golden age of the RPG which is long gone.
Tyrone77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Tyrone77
Member since 2008 • 223 Posts

For me games have become less enjoyable.

Nothing compares to that feeling I had when I first tried a complete new style of game.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Well, it's only natural to get more used to stuff the longer you experience it. Nothing can beat what I felt when I loaded up my first cassette on my brand new Commodore 64 I had saved up for.