are nintendo kiddie(excluding metroid and fire emblem)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for klonoafanboy122
klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 klonoafanboy122
Member since 2013 • 232 Posts

i mean most of there games are aimed at kids and usualy have more cartoony artstyles and simple plots

i mean the only nintendo series i enjoy nowerdays is pokemon(though kid icarus uprising was admittedly fun)

what do you think if you exclude metroid and fire emblem (because there some of nintendos few non kiddie games) are they more for kids and familys instead of adults and teens?

klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 klonoafanboy122

i guess ill never know if nintendo is kiddie or not

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#3 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19313 Posts

Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

― C.S. Lewis

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

There is a difference between "Kiddie" and appealing to all ages. It's subtle, but it definitely exists.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#5 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

No, I don't think that Nintendo is "kiddie." Nintendo's biggest thing that sets it apart from Microsoft and Sony is that its core franchises appeal to everybody, kid and adult alike. I have just as much fun playing Mario games now as I did when I was a kid.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Nintendo is Everybody.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

If you define Mario and Animal Crossing,yeah,that's the only sort of "kiddie" games they can offer,but it doesn't always stuck to children,even teens,and adults do play these to relieve their adult matter

gargungulunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By gargungulunk
Member since 2011 • 736 Posts

@Jag85: "..." C.S. Lewis

^^^this.

My own response,

You forgot to exclude Castlevania, Shin Megami Tensei 4 and that copy of Metal Gear 3 I've yet to unwrap. The more one excludes, the more one ignores and only hears what they choose.

In the mean time, I'm gonna spin another day on Rune Factory 4, I've hit a good stride with my crops where I've struck a strong profit margin. Melons and tomatoes are really worth the price. I plan to spend several $X00,000 on winter crops that might just double my investment & allow me to purchase a 5th segment to the farm...they may take awhile to grow, but I can finish the second ending to the game in the process...and gather required materials in the process.

Or maybe I'll lay-down a slick beat on my Korg M01 software made for the 3DS, and play guitar over it, feeling like the champion that I am.

TLDR: Growing up, gets old.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Despite the visuals of their games, in the console arena Nintendo isn't worried about kids. Disney targets kids (which is why they offer a lot of original content and their sequels tend to be to young franchises) while Nintendo targets adult fanboys (which is why they offer little original content and their sequels are to decades old franchises).

Kids don't care about franchises, they gravitate towards what looks fun (the pattern can be seen not only in children's movies, but also tv shows). Make a fun looking movie or tv show, kids will want to see it.

Adult fanboys by way of contrast care a lot about franchises. Like Marvel and DC, once Nintendo was kid oriented (at which point they released a much broader range of games than they do now, as anyone that remembers the NES, SNES and even N64 can attest) but they chose to follow their aging, shrinking but predictable existing fans rather than undergo the risky work of chasing the fickle, competitive kids' market.

The NES skewed decades younger than any modern console and its library looks a lot more like those of the Playstations and Xboxes than it does the Wiis. Motion controls were a sideshow and the system boasted tons of action, adventure games and racing games (nods towards Castlevania, Ghosts n' Goblins, Contra, Blaster Master, RC Pro Am, Rad Racer, Commando and Double Dragon). Nowadays Nintendo consoles are Mario, Mario, Mario, Zelda, Mario.

Nintendo's defenders talk about how modern Nintendo offers a narrow range of franchises because they want broad appeal, but the only people they are fooling are themselves.

gargungulunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By gargungulunk
Member since 2011 • 736 Posts

@CarnageHeart said:

The NES skewed decades younger than any modern console and its library looks a lot more like those of the Playstations and Xboxes than it does the Wiis. Motion controls were a sideshow and the system boasted tons of action, adventure games and racing games (nods towards Castlevania, Ghosts n' Goblins, Contra, Blaster Master, RC Pro Am, Rad Racer, Commando and Double Dragon). Nowadays Nintendo consoles are Mario, Mario, Mario, Zelda, Mario.

Nintendo's defenders talk about how modern Nintendo offers a narrow range of franchises because they want broad appeal, but the only people they are fooling are themselves.

You make a good point about Nintendo being less action oriented...a solid observation actually. Given the old NES line-up alone, they really have deviated from that stride.

Now-a-days, I see Nintendo as primarily a platform...they've even stated it themselves. They're not so much a publisher, as a hardware designer...any game they publish is basically using their iconic characters to showcase the new hardware...and yet any /re-hash/ is a complete over-haul, and in-fact a whole new game. I'm impressed by how they operate actually. They still have new ideas...it's just applied to old faces.

To address any problem, they really need to make more ties to 3rd party developers. Yet, the 3DS is still my next-gen "console" for well into '14...so it's hard to dislike what Nintendo is offering.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

I hate these sayings. If a game can be played and enjoyed by a kid it makes it kiddie? COD is played and enjoyed by kids does that make it kiddie? Nintendo games can be played and enjoyed by anybody. And if you think cartoony games are "kiddie" your an idiot. The developer chose that as the art style. Nintendo hates doing realistic games cause it restricts creativity.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

@CarnageHeart:

Due to Iwata mostly lol.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CarnageHeart

@gargungulunk: Its worth keeping in mind that with the Wii and the DS, the games which made the systems big hits among casuals were original games like Wii Sports, Brain Training and Nintendogs. Even Nintendo grasped fairly recently that to draw new audiences, one needs new games, rather than hoping that this week's Mario game draws them in.

I agree that what Is killing the Wii U among Nintendo fans is the 3DS (which has gotten the far more first and third party support this year and that doesn't look like it will change anytime soon).

I disagree that third parties will be willing to save the Wii U. Look at how well the partnerships with EA and Ubisoft worked out. Third parties don't care about HW, they just want to sell games. Right now most of them have bigger audiences on the PS and Xbox than they do on the Wii. In order to encourage a wider range of games on the Wii U, Nintendo needs to put its money where its mouth is.

On a related note, its crazy that in an era where Western developed games are more popular than ever, Nintendo is more Japanese than ever. NOA used to helm development studios and manage relations with Western developers and publishers, nowadays they just run PR for NOJ.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17632 Posts

@CarnageHeart: NCL detests Western games.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

@Jag85: Thanks for the quote. It's on the mark.

Nintendo games are fun, regardless of your age.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11512 Posts

They're for all ages. They are appropriate content-wise and the gameplay is easy to understand and get into, but Nintendo games also offer extremely high challenges for the most part for those who want it. It's a rule of thumb it seems with Nintendo and it allows their games to be enjoyable from the very beginning to the very end.

Pikmin 3, Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros. U, and Donkey Kong Country Returns are all perfect examples of this ideology. All 4 are very easy to get into and understand, but it takes an extremely dedicated person with a great deal of skill to accomplish the harder challenges in each.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

have you seen the Wii U commercials lately? yes they are kiddie

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#18  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@Jag85 said:

Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

― C.S. Lewis

That is a very wise quote.

thegroveman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 thegroveman
Member since 2012 • 123 Posts

@klonoafanboy122: Is Pixar "kiddie?" You need to realize that the industry needsNintendo. Just because something doesn't have decapitations and M-16s doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed by everyone. I wish more kids respected games like Mario and Zelda because I fear for the future when I see 9 year olds playing GTA V and Call of Duty.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CarnageHeart

@GreySeal9 said:

@Jag85 said:

― C.S. Lewis

Wise but irrelevant to the discussion. Most gamers (including kids) like a broad range of games, but modern Nintendo steadfastly refuses to offer such a range.

Like I said before, the NES skewed decades younger than any modern console, but its vast and varied library was more analogous to that of the Playstations and Xboxes than the Wiis (or for that matter, the GC).

Modern Nintendo's orientation on a tiny handful of franchise indicates that they are more concerned with nostalgic adults than newly minted (and thus nostalgia free) kids.

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

I'd say that the majority of their games are primarily aimed at kids, despite some adults liking them too. I wouldn't call them "kiddie" myself though I understand why others would.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jag85

@CarnageHeart said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@Jag85 said:

― C.S. Lewis

Wise but irrelevant to the discussion. Most gamers (including kids) like a broad range of games, but modern Nintendo steadfastly refuses to offer such a range.

Like I said before, the NES skewed decades younger than any modern console, but its vast and varied library was more analogous to that of the Playstations and Xboxes than the Wiis (or for that matter, the GC).

Modern Nintendo's orientation on a tiny handful of franchise indicates that they are more concerned with nostalgic adults than newly minted (and thus nostalgia free) kids.

You may have a point. Nintendo's core fanbase is mainly adults who grew up playing Nintendo games, And then along with this core fanbase, you have casual audiences that represent all ages from kids to elderly folks.

psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 psx2514
Member since 2008 • 425 Posts

I think you meant "IS Nintendo kiddie."

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17632 Posts

@thegroveman said:

@klonoafanboy122: Is Pixar "kiddie?" You need to realize that the industry needs Nintendo. Just because something doesn't have decapitations and M-16s doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed by everyone. I wish more kids respected games like Mario and Zelda because I fear for the future when I see 9 year olds playing GTA V and Call of Duty.

Funny that you mention Pixar. Their films appeal to adults because, despite their aesthetic and outward appearances, deal with very mature themes: love, loss, fear, hope. Nintendo's games I can see being "mature" in the sense that when delved deeper into, they require a determination and degree of skill that adults would find more enjoyable than a child would, however I don't see many Nintendo games that attempt to address many adult themes as Pixar's films do. In terms of Nintendo's games, "maturity" only really extends to gameplay, or at least of the ones I've played. Yet I've seen other games (TLoU, Beyond Two Souls, Journey) that are not afraid to attempt to tackle these above themes head on, oftentimes with success. This is why I believe many see Nintendo games as kiddie, and I tend to agree. Violence and maturity are very different and do not necessarily require one to define the other. While I can understand why some equate the two, it's only half of the equation.

thom_maytees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 thom_maytees
Member since 2010 • 3668 Posts

I just wish that the term "kiddie" does not have derogatory meaning among gamers.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#26  Edited By ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

There is a distinct and clear difference between "kiddie" and "fun for all the family". Kiddie games exist to be sure. But I don't see that in Nintendo's offerings. I see them as fun for anyone who can work the controller with enough proficiency to manipulate the game's avatar. Be they 4 years old or 64 years old.

There is nothing kiddie about enjoying a game, it's characters, it's charm or level design. If Nintendo wants me to buy a WiiU, the surest way they can accomplish this is to announce a Kirby title. The cuter the better. And I'm in my 40s in case you were wondering.

So to answer your question... no. No they are not. They are masters of their craft.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts

@thegroveman said:

I fear for the future when I see 9 year olds playing GTA V and Call of Duty.

this event similarly happened to me before,and it was a tragedy to remember,I was angry enough,I threw a chair at someone whom I declare as the arch of the arch-enemy #1 ,til I scare away nearly the whole school(including the principal) on the fifth day I was at a wretched school for jerks

klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 klonoafanboy122

oh and i might aswel say this aswell

sony has made kids games in the past (i mean look at crash spyro ape escape etc) so its not only nintendo systems who have family friendly exclusives

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#29  Edited By haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

Nintendo appeals to everyone. They're a lot like Disney in that their primary market is probably younger but a lot of the people that grew up on Nintendo still enjoy Nintendo titles.

They're still one of the most (if not the most) consistent developer in the industry for quality software releases.

klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 klonoafanboy122

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

There is a distinct and clear difference between "kiddie" and "fun for all the family". Kiddie games exist to be sure. But I don't see that in Nintendo's offerings. I see them as fun for anyone who can work the controller with enough proficiency to manipulate the game's avatar. Be they 4 years old or 64 years old.

There is nothing kiddie about enjoying a game, it's characters, it's charm or level design. If Nintendo wants me to buy a WiiU, the surest way they can accomplish this is to announce a Kirby title. The cuter the better. And I'm in my 40s in case you were wondering.

So to answer your question... no. No they are not. They are masters of their craft.

im 16 and i went out of my way to get a p3 just so could download klonoa door to phantomile XD and play the atelier games

thegroveman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By thegroveman
Member since 2012 • 123 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

@thegroveman said:

@klonoafanboy122: Is Pixar "kiddie?" You need to realize that the industry needs Nintendo. Just because something doesn't have decapitations and M-16s doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed by everyone. I wish more kids respected games like Mario and Zelda because I fear for the future when I see 9 year olds playing GTA V and Call of Duty.

Funny that you mention Pixar. Their films appeal to adults because, despite their aesthetic and outward appearances, deal with very mature themes: love, loss, fear, hope. Nintendo's games I can see being "mature" in the sense that when delved deeper into, they require a determination and degree of skill that adults would find more enjoyable than a child would, however I don't see many Nintendo games that attempt to address many adult themes as Pixar's films do. In terms of Nintendo's games, "maturity" only really extends to gameplay, or at least of the ones I've played. Yet I've seen other games (TLoU, Beyond Two Souls, Journey) that are not afraid to attempt to tackle these above themes head on, oftentimes with success. This is why I believe many see Nintendo games as kiddie, and I tend to agree. Violence and maturity are very different and do not necessarily require one to define the other. While I can understand why some equate the two, it's only half of the equation.

Don't discount mature gameplay as inferior to mature themes. Videogames have an extra dimension that the cinema doesn't, so where a kids' movie needs layered themes to appeal to adults, a videogame can have layered gameplay. Super Mario 3D World is a perfect example of this, and it does that game a disservice to dismiss it because it's not a grim post-apocalyptic tale. You mentioned Journey as an example of a game that is thematically mature, but I think it's too abstract for a kid to enjoy. There isn't much "gameplay" to it that would engage and excite kids. And I don't see GTA V or Call of Duty as mature, they're more adolescent than anything.

luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

@Jag85 said:

― C.S. Lewis

Oh, most definitely this.

As for the TC's question, I can see why people have this "kiddy" perspective about Nintendo, but I just think that they have universal appeal.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@Jag85 said:

― C.S. Lewis

Pretty much this. OP is sixteen, so I can see where he's coming from. It's the kind of thing people worry about at that age. One of my best friends refused to ever buy a Gamecube and play Nintendo games when he was younger, but lately went on a Nintendo buying spree. Liking Nintendo isn't remotely kiddie though. Every big Nintendo fan I've ever met has been a grown adult...but then again, I don't go around hanging out with young people, so it's not exactly representative of anything.

Nintendo also happens to be one of the few gaming companies that recognizes that the game itself (not all the superfluous fluff) is key.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#34 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

If they are then it doesn't matter. They still release some of the best games in the industry. Plus, like someone else said, it's more that their games appeal to all ages.

I'd say calling the bulk of Nintendo games only for kids is like saying the bulk of Pixar movies are only for kids.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jag85

@cfisher2833 said:

@Jag85 said:

― C.S. Lewis

Pretty much this. OP is sixteen, so I can see where he's coming from. It's the kind of thing people worry about at that age. One of my best friends refused to ever buy a Gamecube and play Nintendo games when he was younger, but lately went on a Nintendo buying spree. Liking Nintendo isn't remotely kiddie though. Every big Nintendo fan I've ever met has been a grown adult...but then again, I don't go around hanging out with young people, so it's not exactly representative of anything.

Nintendo also happens to be one of the few gaming companies that recognizes that the game itself (not all the superfluous fluff) is key.

When I was a teenager, I also refused to get any Nintendo systems up until towards the end of the PS2 era, when I finally decided to pick up a GameCube and had a blast with it.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CarnageHeart

@dvader654 said:

@CarnageHeart: Kids don't care about franchises, they gravitate towards what looks fun (the pattern can be seen not only in children's movies, but also tv shows

Well then kids should be playing Nintendo games cause there is no one making more fun games than Nintendo.

I'm sure you and all of Nintendo's many adult fans think so, but kids might disagree. As I've said before, the NES skewed younger than any modern console, but in terms of its breadth its library was far closer to the Playstations and Xboxes than the Wiis.

On the NES, kids loved sports games (remember 10 Yard Fight, Ice Hockey, Blades of Steel, Pro Wrestling and Double Dribble?), action games (Contra, Ikari Warriors, Ghosts n' Goblins, Castlevania, Commando and Gradius spring to mind), beat'em ups (Double Dragon, Battletoads and Bad Dudes) and well, lots of types of games.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

@Jag85 said:

― C.S. Lewis

Awe, one of my favorite quotes. Especially concerning games, I know too many people who dismiss great games with creative artstyles because they don't feel like they are adult enough.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

Nintendo is more focused on clean fun rather then lets tear heads off and get tons of bloodshed kind of fun.