Anyway to fix my corrupt 70 hour FFXII file!!??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

toolheadchris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 toolheadchris
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

PLEASE GOD SOMEONE HELP ME!!! Is there any way to retrieve or fix a "corrupted" save file? I've been playing Final Fantasy XII non stop for the past month now and had 67 hours logged with every character having all 3 quickenings available and everybody around level 40-43. I dont really know much about the technicalities of save memory but it was on an 8mb NYKO memory card. I wasat the end of a 2 hour play sessiontonight and was about to save and turn it off when all of a sudden while attempting to save it read "could not save, file corrupted". So i freaked a little and turned off and on my ps2 to enter the browser and look at the memory card files my self. Sure enough there was a blank block where my FFXII file used to be that is now labled "corrupted file". What the hell is a corrupted file and more importantly how does this happen??? Is there any way to get my SAVE BACK!!?? My gut tells me there is no way to fix it and its just a **** happens" sorta thing. But damn, couldnt one of my other files become corrupt, like any onebesides MY 70 HOUR FFXII FILE!!!!! Anyway im sure someone knows whats up.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
This happened to me and one of the other guys around here.  I don't think you can fix the file, and I don't know how you would download and transfer a file from the internet to a PS2 memory card.  I was able to get one for my PS3, but I don't know how to do it on a PS2.  I feel your pain for sure, and good luck.  If I knew more, I'd help.
Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#3 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts
I buyed a Sony-Memorycard because of that stuff...there are many games who even corrupt other datas if you save.Examples?Phantasy Star Universe,Okami,Jak X,Shining Force EXA,Resident Evil 4,Soul Calibur 3 (doesn´t work correctly,only the Strategy-Mode makes problems),Gran Turismo 3+4 (didn´t test it myself)...I play on the Sony-Card and if I´m finished I use the other one to keep them.As long as you don´t start them nothing bad happens.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#4 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
Stick to official Sony cards.
toolheadchris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 toolheadchris
Yea good idea, i talked to the technical support dude at NYKO and he was a friggin moron, sounded like he hadnt talked to an actual person since 5th grade. Thanks for the answers guys, you were the only ones who actually had something useful to say. So should I be worried about my other save files on this mem card too??? I actually do have a Soul Cal 3 save on the card, is that maybe what started this?? The idiot at NYKO said it was just an old product, OLD?? is less than 2 years old?? GOD THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#6 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts
Corrupted file is something that can't be fixed from my experince. I had a save file for grimgrimoire and I accedently pulled the controller while saving which caused my ps2 to drop on the floor and of course it turned off. I got the same thing when I chose load game. "File corrupted" All I could do was go through the game all over again.
yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#7 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
The only solution I've had work is to copy the file to another memory card.
toolheadchris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 toolheadchris
I just went out and bought a Sony Memory card. Now is it not a good idea to copy my files from other games onto my new mem card? Or is it just the corrupt file that is contaminated?
yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#9 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
I just went out and bought a Sony Memory card. Now is it not a good idea to copy my files from other games onto my new mem card? Or is it just the corrupt file that is contaminated?toolheadchris
There shouldn't be any risk of moving anything. Given one file has already corrupted, I'd suggest you move everything over as to not risk future problems because it's most likely the memory card. I had a corrupted Intellivision Lives file on GameCube that I just copied over to another card and it worked fine. It's probably not likely going to work, but doing so won't hurt your new memory card.
toolheadchris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 toolheadchris

I cant download these with only a PS2?

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

I cant download these with only a PS2?

toolheadchris

I don't know of any way to do it with just a PS2, but there might be someone out there that has a clue.  The PS3 makes file sharing pretty easy, because of USB, card dreaders, and PSP connectivity there is almost always a way to get whatever file you want.  Not suggesting that you go and drop $500-600 or anything, it is just that the PS2 is more closed off to these types of things, which makes it pretty difficult to share files.  If I was you I'd google PS2 save game file sharing and see if someone out there knows what's up.
toolheadchris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 toolheadchris
Honestly ive been deciding on whether or not to get a PS3 or a 360 but i was leaning toward the 360 bc of Bioshock mainly. I def want MGS4, those "beauty and beast" robot monster things look crazy awesome, i know im gonna get a PS3 though when FFXIII comes out, but i might just wait until this rumored 400$ price drop commences. And I think its much easier for me to get online with a Wi-Fi enabled console, since i game up in my room. My Wii works fine online for what little it does. As far as the corrupt file goes, im probably gonna just start over and dedicate my Sunday and Monday days off to complete FFXII progress. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
fathoms_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fathoms_basic
Member since 2002 • 22116 Posts

As a general rule of thumb - and I know this is out-dated advice now, but whatever - stick to first-party memory cards at all times. Otherwise, you WILL learn your lesson the hard way.

But that totally sucks about your save file. I've had it happen to me before (not with FF XII, but still), and you get this completely helpless feeling. :(