Anyone remember the Dragon 32 and Dragon 64 computers?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for NationProtector
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 NationProtector
Member since 2013 • 1609 Posts
Oh man, I found this in my closet, ad I was like WTF is this, and then I remembered this from back in the day. This thing looks so bad now, I had to play the games I had for it, as well as see if anything else still worked on it. I remember this being called the Neon console before the ZX got that label back in the day.      I remember people had these for a short time for business, but they were quickly replaced I remember getting this discounted cheap for $50 at a "PLEASE BUY OUR STOCK" sale.
Bond007uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Bond007uk
Member since 2002 • 1644 Posts

Dragon Data was a UK company based in Port Talbot, Wales. They released the Dragon 32 to the home computer market in 1982. In the U.S they used a company called Tano in New Orleans as a distributor. The Dragon's main market was the UK and Europe though.

I don't remember this machine I was too young, I doubt many from the U.S will remember it either as it was only in production for about three years. While it's CPU was pretty advanced for a home micro, it couldn't compete with the likes of the Sinclair ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64 or the BBC Micro.

The company went bust in 1984 and was purchased by a Spanish company that subsequently also went into receivership two years later in 1986.

To be honest, if this was your first computer, I feel a little sorry for you. In UK magazine 'Retro Gamer', regular columnist Ian Lee has wrote a couple of article's in the magazine of his experiences with the Dragon 32, and how his friends teased him about it at the time - obviously because they all had either Spectrums, Amstrads or C64's.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Dragon Data was a UK company based in Port Talbot, Wales. They released the Dragon 32 to the home computer market in 1982. In the U.S they used a company called Tano in New Orleans as a distributor. The Dragon's main market was the UK and Europe though.

I don't remember this machine I was too young, I doubt many from the U.S will remember it either as it was only in production for about three years. While it's CPU was pretty advanced for a home micro, it couldn't compete with the likes of the Sinclair ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64 or the BBC Micro.

The company went bust in 1984 and was purchased by a Spanish company that subsequently also went into receivership two years later in 1986.

To be honest, if this was your first computer, I feel a little sorry for you. In UK magazine 'Retro Gamer', regular columnist Ian Lee has wrote a couple of article's in the magazine of his experiences with the Dragon 32, and how his friends teased him about it at the time - obviously because they all had either Spectrums, Amstrads or C64's.

Bond007uk

He was doing better with it than me and most of the families I knew back then. Most of us never had a computer in our houses until the mid-to-late 90s. We used C64s or Apple IIs at school, and then eventually the Windows 3.0/3.1 machines.

Avatar image for NationProtector
NationProtector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 NationProtector
Member since 2013 • 1609 Posts

[QUOTE="Bond007uk"]

Emerald_Warrior

He was doing better with it than me and most of the families I knew back then. Most of us never had a computer in our houses until the mid-to-late 90s. We used C64s or Apple IIs at school, and then eventually the Windows 3.0/3.1 machines.

Not sure where first computer came from, but Spectrums and the C64 were not even a big thing yet. Also lol Amstrad??? Anyway, not, the first computer I brought was this:  Which was pretty good since a lot of the competition was monochrome and I could play Video games with it on my TV as well, especially Midway arcade games since it was the Bally/Midway Astrocade. Although everyone else at the office where using garbage like the Tandy computer, and the PET. No one brought Fairchilds, although it was interesting because it used Cartridges for software when everybody else used the other standards. Also, Emerald has a point, computers never really became that accessible until say, 1989 and onward, and became a massive market of access by 1997. Computers costs fortunes, and it was neat that certain game consoles where able to make cheap computers. Although the Astrocade was much better in the color department than a lot of the competition at the time, i think it was also the first video game console that could double as a computer. A lot of Video game consoles out side Colesos were pretty good. Man was that Adamn a piece of crap, my friend had paid over $4000 in repairs, in upfront payments for things that never came out, and horrible reliability. Glad i did not get one, I had no where close the amount of income he got, nor do i now.
GaussRiemann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 GaussRiemann
Member since 2012 • 249 Posts

I played it for the first time in my life about a week ago, at a retro convention.