Anyone else hate quicktime events in games that shouldn't have them?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Beagle050

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Beagle050
Member since 2008 • 737 Posts

A quicktime event is when you have to button mash or press certain buttons in the correct sequence in order to complete a challenge that a game throws at you (like, for most of the time, not dying).

I can't stand quicktime events in games that shouldn't have them. For example, the Battlefield 3 campaign was absolutely loaded with quicktime events at every corner. The worst part about this was that most of them were at points where I could have just shot an attacking enemy soldier.

They're totally acceptable in a game like "Heavy Rain." That's a game that you would both expect and want quicktime events in. MW2's were also very well done - so subtle that you would miss them (most people wouldn't even remember that game had quicktime events). On the other hand, when quicktime events are done poorly, they become annoying and obvious.

I really hate the concept of, for example, playing a first person shooter and suddenly having to mash the spacebar key when I turned the corner expecting to just shoot enemies.

Thoughts?

lild1425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#2 lild1425
Member since 2004 • 6757 Posts

Agreed. They were annoying in Goldeneye Reloaded or whatever it's called.

Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

I've loved QTEs since Shenmue so I say bring 'em on :)

simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts

Resident Evil 4 did them quite well :) Repetitively clicking a button to run away from a boulder or doing the same thing when hanging off the edge off a cliff. Theres on part where its sort of a cinematic sequence but with quicktime event, when hes fighting whats-his-name. It was good, you had to click buttons as they came up fast but not screw up. There'd also be distractions, like the dude slamming a barrel in your face would distract you because then B would come up and hes about to kill you. So you press B and manage to dodge him. I kind wish RE4 had more events like that.

Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Tropictrain
Member since 2010 • 4863 Posts

Agreed. Heavy Rain had the best quicktime events I've seen. Spiderman Web of Shadows had the worst. There are plenty of games in the middle, and most of them could have done without quicktime events.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Just spent about 4 hours trying to make it through a quicktime event in Uncharted 2 (where you do hand-to-hand combat with that guy on the train). I was mashing away on the square button, then trying to hit the triangle button when prompted. That works for hand-to-hand combat in the other 99% of the game. Oh, but not here. You have to push square slowly and in a somewhat rhythmic fashion here. I didn't know that, so it took me 4 freakin' hours to figure it out.

Yes, I HATE quicktime events.

In general though they're not the least bit fun and always strike me as a crappy gameplay mechanic.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

I've loved QTEs since Shenmue so I say bring 'em on :)

Business_Fun

This. And God of War. I love QTE's, I say the more the merrier.

Edit: Oh and I forgot about the EPIC QTE event between Leon and "that one guy" in RE4.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

It's a mixed bag for me. Some games, like God of War, pull them off perfectly, while some, like Spider-Man 3, felt clunky. However, I'm not a huge fan of them when I'm playing a game on my PC, or the ones like "Continue to hit X to raise gate".

joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#9 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

Some games where I want to relax for cut scenes but just have pointless QTE for the sake of it... cannot stand. But I like Fahrenheit, Shenmue and Heavy Rain style QTE.

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

The only games I hated QTE's in is Ninja Blade (Seriously, there is at least 5 or 6 EVERY cutscene) and Resident Evil 5 (they wasn't done as well as the ones in RE4).

myke2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 myke2010
Member since 2002 • 2747 Posts

The QTEs in BF3 were terrible. Why anyone thought those would benefit the series is beyond me.

shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts

The QTEs in BF3 were terrible. Why anyone thought those would benefit the series is beyond me.

myke2010
Same goes for assault horizon. I'm fed up with them. I found qte enjoyable only in GoW series, sw tfu and re4.
Avatar image for NEStorianPriest
NEStorianPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 NEStorianPriest
Member since 2010 • 804 Posts

I liked them in Heavenly Sword. They were well implemented, not overused, and challenging. Most games don't them them this well, so my answer would be yes.

Indigo Prophecy was basically just one big quick-time event, which is what kept me from playing Heavy Rain. Totally ruined the experience for me.

Geosisnl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Geosisnl
Member since 2009 • 143 Posts

Honestly, I don't care much for QTE's at all. I fail to see how this brings more depth to gameplay.

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts

myke2010

Especially on the PC. There's just something so anticlimatic about "left-click to win the fight"

ZombieJesus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ZombieJesus007
Member since 2011 • 48 Posts

Honestly, I don't care much for QTE's at all. I fail to see how this brings more depth to gameplay.

Geosisnl

This. When done well (Heavy Rain), it's great, but most of the time they are cheap and too easy.

OmenUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 OmenUK
Member since 2011 • 1268 Posts

Some QTE's like in Uncharted or Heavy Rain have been done really well but then you get ones like the QTE's in BF3 that just seem really out of place or done poorly. I think it depends on the game but seems to be a eual amount of good and bad dependant on whether it fits into the gameplay or not.

Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#18 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

I can live withthem or without them to be honest, but if life depended upon it, I'de rather live without em

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#19 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

They can be good in some fighting games. Take Tenkaichi 3 for example. When you and another are flying fast at each other, each person has to rotate the analog sticks. Whoever did it faster won the clash. (i think it was tenkaichi 3, not 100% sure. Just know it was a DBZ game)

-Corruption-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -Corruption-
Member since 2009 • 158 Posts

I don't like them when the button mashing threatens to burn your finger off from the sheer speed needed for it...

Like... Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2... Sasuke vs Itachi boss fight (the snake part, if anyone actually played it)... Damn that quicktime event.