Anyone else find that the Red Dead Redemption script is a little repetitive?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

It's a great game with a decent enough story and fun gameplay, i just find that whenever you're doing a mission with say 'Irish' or 'Seth' or 'West Dickens' e.t.c that Marston is constantly putting down the other characters. It was kind of amusing in the beginning but after a while, the whole 'pompous cowboy' business sort of grinds on you :P

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#2 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
whats worse is that he keeps doing the stuff they ask. RDR had a simple story that couldve been told rather quickly. r* just wanted to artificially stretch it out for the sake of "value."
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I find he does not like their word play. His family is taken and he need them to help him to deal with them so it is understandable when they play games with him, he will be mad.

altairs_mentor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 altairs_mentor
Member since 2009 • 696 Posts
red dead redemption is the best game ever. John marston is the best character ever made. Dont say ANYTHING bout him. (or you can if you want, i mean i respect other peoples opinions.:)
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

A little? :lol: It repeats itself THREE times over the course of the game. They introduce new antagonists in Mexico... and then again when you get back from Mexico. Its about 2-3 hours of story padded out to 25 hours. Its such a shame the surrounding world was so well-made and atmospheric. I've been noticing since GTASA that Rockstar's stories have been dropped into the toilet and flushed a few times. They are absolutely awful, and don't make me feel anything towards the characters. Throughout RDR I kept wanting to like Marston, and feel for his plight... but I never felt anything.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

If I had to work with people like them then I would be mad at them.

WD: "I got the report done."

Me: "Then where is it?"

WD: "About that my mistake I printed on printer in an arms dealer wearhouse."

Me: "Then print it again."

WD: "I lost the file."

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#8 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
I just hated the fact that in the free roam portions they threw in morality and gave the player the choice to do what they wanted and then in the cutscenes they took all that choice away. Made for a disjointed game.
altairs_mentor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 altairs_mentor
Member since 2009 • 696 Posts

A little? :lol: It repeats itself THREE times over the course of the game. They introduce new antagonists in Mexico... and then again when you get back from Mexico. Its about 2-3 hours of story padded out to 25 hours. Its such a shame the surrounding world was so well-made and atmospheric. I've been noticing since GTASA that Rockstar's stories have been dropped into the toilet and flushed a few times. They are absolutely awful, and don't make me feel anything towards the characters. Throughout RDR I kept wanting to like Marston, and feel for his plight... but I never felt anything.

foxhound_fox
How to like john Marston. Go to youtube type in Red dead redemption ending watch it Cry. Just Cry on how happy it is.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 foxhound_fox

How to like john Marston. Go to youtube type in Red dead redemption ending watch it Cry. Just Cry on how happy it is.altairs_mentor

This was my reaction to that god awful ending:

Hell, I enjoyed The Sith Lords ending more than that. And TSL didn't even have an ending.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#11 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
Thats one of the reasons I didnt finish RDR.
Kurezan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Kurezan
Member since 2008 • 1850 Posts

Yeah it does get repetitive a tiny bit, but I enjoyed it anyway.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

Cut scenes and story are largely incidental in a game like this. 95% of the time, I was directly controlling Marston and making whatever choices I felt like so I really don't care that certain elements of the story were repetitive or relied on tropes.

I do understand the complaints about the cut scenes negating the actions of those who took a darker, more villainous route to complete the game but since I played Marston straight I felt the story was pretty solid and personally, I loved the ending. (Especially the coda)

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
I gave up on the game once I got to mexico, didnt like Marston or his story, but it was a beautifull game world with some other interesting characters... the story was just so blah for me.
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

I gave up on the game once I got to mexico, didnt like Marston or his story, but it was a beautifull game world with some other interesting characters... the story was just so blah for me.GodModeEnabled

You know what they say opinions are like... "Everybody's got one"... :P

NiteShadeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NiteShadeX
Member since 2009 • 7216 Posts

The worst part of RDR was being forced to play as Jack when you "won".

His lines...are just so...aweful.

"WORKYADAMNAG!" and some of his aweful puns have been etched into my very soul.

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jbul

NiteShadeX

Might wanna give a spoiler warning there, bud.

jarhead1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jarhead1990
Member since 2005 • 2079 Posts

A lack-luster story aside, the game still feels like a balls to the wall western epic. It's the game of the year.

oldogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 oldogg
Member since 2003 • 823 Posts

well, the game was made by programmers... not cormac mccarthy. i never expect great writing/stories from videogames. immersion and fun... sure. deep andthought-provoking experiences....no.

GodzillavsXenu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GodzillavsXenu
Member since 2009 • 180 Posts
One thing I found really weird was in the very beginning of the story, John sounds better educated or read than you'd expect and I was intrigued by this -> he apologizes for his "reticence" when Bonnie asks him a question he doesn't want to answer. This is not a word that people in the old west ran around using. But then, throughout the story afterward, John routinely comments in a manner that boils down to "I don't trust that fancy book learnin'." Why have him use such a word so ostentatiously early in the game, and then turn in to "Mr. Doesn't Trust Fancy words." That was a jarring inconsistency for me. I would have loved it if he was somehow much smarter than you'd expect - it would have made him more interesting.
NiteShadeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 NiteShadeX
Member since 2009 • 7216 Posts

[QUOTE="NiteShadeX"]

Jbul

Might wanna give a spoiler warning there, bud.

There's a cheat code to play as Jack, no spoiler needed.

Ozmodiar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ozmodiar1
Member since 2009 • 638 Posts

The whole damn game is repetitive. It's not a bad game, but no way in hell GOTY.

anthonycg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 anthonycg
Member since 2009 • 2017 Posts

I think it got boring around Mexico. You ended up doing the same stuff that you did stateside only it was more boring.

streak000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 streak000
Member since 2007 • 6802 Posts

I thought it was well written and I loved the ending. I felt much more connection with Marston than I ever did with Niko in GTA IV. Rockstar's ambition sometimes outstrips its writing ability (some of the dialogue feels trite and hollow when it's obviously meant to be profound), but overall, I think Yahtzee summed it up pretty well when he said "RDR is a beautiful-looking, beautifully written, beautifully atmospheric time-sink". There was a bit of padding in the story, but nothing major for this type of game.

Easily game of the year for me. No other game (on 360) even came close.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

He has to help people... that's the point of the story. Especially back in those days, if you want to get somewhere, you better have something to offer them. And you better start having relationships and connections with people. RDR has one of the best stories, characters, dialogue, I've ever witnessed in a video game. Extremely well done. Missions, side-quests were actually fun to do and felt like they tied into the main story. I could go on about RDR, but I'm not going to. If you couldn't see why this game was so great and well done.. then nothing I could say will ever change your mind.

Edit: RDR has one of the best endings in gaming history. It gave the player the power in their hands to bring closure to an ending.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 foxhound_fox

well, the game was made by programmers... not cormac mccarthy. i never expect great writing/stories from videogames. immersion and fun... sure. deep andthought-provoking experiences....no.

oldogg

That's the problem. When you create a game to be driven by its narrative, that's when you need to hire a quality writer to put something together that isn't like something George Lucas vomited onto a legal pad in an evening.

He has to help people... that's the point of the story. Especially back in those days, if you want to get somewhere, you better have something to offer them. And you better start having relationships and connections with people. RDR has one of the best stories, characters, dialogue, I've ever witnessed in a video game. Extremely well done. Missions, side-quests were actually fun to do and felt like they tied into the main story. I could go on about RDR, but I'm not going to. If you couldn't see why this game was so great and well done.. then nothing I could say will ever change your mind.

Edit: RDR has one of the best endings in gaming history. It gave the player the power in their hands to bring closure to an ending.

Elann2008

I hate to sound like a douche bag... but how many games have you played? And, how many generations of gaming have you been a part of? Considering the praise you give RDR, I'd be surprised if its very many, and more than one. That may just be my impressions of the game running contrary to yours... but nothing about RDR I found came close to even earlier Rockstar games, especially Vice City. They got RDR's atmosphere perfect... but the story was junk (there was so much potential for greatness), the characters weren't anyone you could connect with (they were well put together, but not really appealing as people, nor did they give me any reason to feel for them, especially Marston) and the missions themselves were a haberdashery of random stuff crammed together to make it into a "sandbox" game.

I think the progression of the story was very poorly executed. I think it should have started with Marston on his farm with Jack and his wife, and then slowly introduced all the antagonists, culminating in a massive battle between Marston and the rest of them (and not had the government really involved at all). The fact you don't meet his family until near the end of the game eliminates any development between Marston and them which would increase the player's empathy for their plight. Which I was constantly trying to find within myself... but never could. I so badly wanted to like Marston, but he never gave me any reason to.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19601 Posts

I felt that the story had a lot of potential, but never really went anywhere with it.

While the characters were interesting at first, you never talked to them long enough for the player to form any real connection to them. For example, the sheriff in Armadillo seemed like he was going to major character, but he completely dropped out of the storyline after something like three story missions (but this really applies to just about every character in the game - like Landon Ricketts or the anthropologist). Even more developed characters like Bonnie barely get enough screen-time - why couldn't we go talk to her after her ordeal? It made no sense.

Maybe these fleeting characters would have been fine if the overarching story had been really compelling, but it wasn't particularly. I did want to see Marston's family freed and I liked the connection going on there, but...really, most of the plot consisted of jumping through one pointless hoop after another, killing bland and arbitrary villain stereotypes in order to achieve that. A lot of the missions simply felt like filler.

And then there's Marston himself, who is alternatively the sweetest cowboy in the west or an irritable turd, and his personality seemed to jump around every so often, which bugged me. It's sort of funny that, for an important outlaw hero, Marston had basically zero agency throughout the entire game. Even Seth the deranged grave robber was ordering him around, and he just accepts everyone's meaningless diversions again and again. I didn't think he was a particularly strong character.

All of that changes in the 'building up your farm' segment though, which I felt was the strongest part of the game, character-wise. Sure, next to nothing happened, but the game finally slowed down for once and took its time to build up some character development and relationships between characters. If the game had started with that section (minus the ending, obviously), and maybe thrown in the main story as a series of side-quests, it would have been much stronger.

But...uh, back on topic, I also felt that the script was repetitive. I liked the writing, but if you've heard one horseback conversation you've heard them all, and nothing interesting happens plot-wise until the farmstead section at the end of the story.

*edit* Ah, I hadn't read the above post. Good to see that I'm not alone there.

BowlofNoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BowlofNoodles
Member since 2004 • 519 Posts

foxhound_fox

I couldn't agree more. I did GTAIV, and RDR, and I felt the stories were lackluster. I honestly can't put my finger on it though. Maybe I'm getting older, or becoming less interested in R* games? I found myself looking for things to keep my occupied during the cutscenes..like going the bathroom, or browsing on my phone.

Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
Westerns aren't known for having a great story, I don't know why anybody would think RDR would have one, story aside (Even though I found it fine and didn't detract from the game) everything else was amazingly well done. Also this thread belongs in SW, too much game bashing for GG. But since everyone is hating on RDR, I found it leagues ahead of any other R* efforts and probably their best game to date (VC and GTA3 are overrated).
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LoG-Sacrament
Westerns aren't known for having a great storyIm_single
i assume youre joking here.
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
[QUOTE="Im_single"]Westerns aren't known for having a great storyLoG-Sacrament

Actually I'm not, Western stories are told well and some are great, but when has a western had a story like say Fight Club, or 2001? Most Westerns fall into a few categories of cliches, even greats such as Leone rely heavily on characters, incredible set pieces and direction to make up for a lack of interesting story. This is entirely off topic though and not worth discussing.
Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Urworstnhtmare
Member since 2008 • 2630 Posts

The story is so much better than that of GTAIV...

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LoG-Sacrament
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="Im_single"]Westerns aren't known for having a great storyIm_single

Actually I'm not, Western stories are told well and some are great, but when has a western had a story like say Fight Club, or 2001? Most Westerns fall into a few categories of cliches, even greats such as Leone rely heavily on characters, incredible set pieces and direction to make up for a lack of interesting story. This is entirely off topic though and not worth discussing.

if you dont think westerns have good stories, then you either havent seen many good ones or you just didnt understand them. EDIT: to avoid "trolling": watch bring me the head of alfredo garcia (or perhaps more applicable to RDR, watch the proposition)
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jbul

That would be incorrect. You saying....

NiteShadeX

...is very clearly an end-game spoiler. I don't mind, since I've beaten the game, so whatever. Shrug.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 foxhound_fox

Westerns aren't known for having a great story, [...] Im_single

There is a first time for everything. Why settle for a great game with a bad story, when you can have a great game with a great story?

streak000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 streak000
Member since 2007 • 6802 Posts

[QUOTE="Im_single"]Westerns aren't known for having a great story, [...] foxhound_fox

There is a first time for everything. Why settle for a great game with a bad story, when you can have a great game with a great story?

Look, I think you're waaaay too harsh on RDR. So much so that it's hard to take you seriously on this issue. It's clearly not a bad story, and the general level of writing in the game is actually very good. You even tried to argue in another thread that it has that "design by commitee" feel, which couldn't be further from the truth. It was very obviously crafted with genuine love and respect for the genre and for gaming in general.

I dunno, you are entitled to your opinion, but it's such a beautiful game that your constant attacks against it have started to grate a bit...

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jbul

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

[QUOTE="Im_single"]Westerns aren't known for having a great story, [...] streak000

Look, I think you're waaaay too harsh on RDR. So much so that it's hard to take you seriously on this issue. It's clearly not a bad story, and the general level of writing in the game is actually very good. You even tried to argue in another thread that it has that "design by commitee" feel, which couldn't be further from the truth. It was very obviously crafted with genuine love and respect for the genre and for gaming in general.

I dunno, you are entitled to your opinion, but it's such a beautiful game that your constant attacks against it have started to grate a bit...

I agree with you. Red Dead Redmeption is one of the most ambitious videogames ever made, and in itself moved videogames forward in many ways. When the New York times calls a videogame "art", you'd better believe there's something special about it.

I think any opinions to the contrary are a key factor in games never getting the respect they deserve, because quite honestly, the audience is still shockingly immature as a whole. And what's worse is, most of them don't even realize it. When people reject or critisize a game that takes bold steps toward moving videogames out of the proverbial sewer of the art world, they're doing much more harm than they realize. It's a real shame.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LoG-Sacrament
Jbul
since when does praise dictate if something is truly special or not? 2001: a space odyssey received relatively negative reviews upon it initial release. citizen kane, now widely considered the best american film ever made, didn't get best picture at the oscars. numerous great painters never received any sort of attention until after they died. critical consensus (especially around the subject's time of release) can always be wrong. honestly, i worry more about audiences hyping up the wrong examples of video games for art. and really, RDR sold so well that its not like r* is looking at the game now and thinking "well that was a failure. we sure as hell arent doing that again."
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 foxhound_fox

streak000

I don't take YOU seriously because you are so quick to disregard opinions that don't agree with your own. If you don't agree, that's fine, but don't tell me that my opinion is "wrong" and your's is "right." I thought the game's story was garbage. There was so much potential for something better. There was an amazing foundation that was incredibly unrealized. If anything, I'd say that is high praise, given how much I disliked its execution.

This is my problem with the modern gaming/journalism industry... no one is allowed to criticize or dislike things.

I agree with you. Red Dead Redmeption is one of the most ambitious videogames ever made, and in itself moved videogames forward in many ways. When the New York times calls a videogame "art", you'd better believe there's something special about it.

I think any opinions to the contrary are a key factor in games never getting the respect they deserve, because quite honestly, the audience is still shockingly immature as a whole. And what's worse is, most of them don't even realize it. When people reject or critisize a game that takes bold steps toward moving videogames out of the proverbial sewer of the art world, they're doing much more harm than they realize. It's a real shame.Jbul

Just because a game has a massive budget and a massive team doesn't make it "ambitious." I personally think the New York Times is exactly the wrong authority to quote when it comes to video games being "art." I'd say long-time gamers, who have highly refined tastes and experience playing decades of games are far more of an authority than any mainstream newspaper.

How is making a historically accurate depiction of the Old West with a monotonous and boring story and uninteresting characters "taking bold steps" forwards? And it isn't gamer's fault that games aren't being taken "seriously." It is mainstream non-gamers who don't give gaming the respect it deserves. Games being "just for kids" and people like Roger Ebert, whose opinion has only ever been coloured by films (and who I think it way off on a lot of films) says games "can never be art" and is followed by millions of the non-gaming public, are the ones keeping games from becoming a legitimate art form.

Its games like Odin Sphere that I would quote when it comes to videogames as "art." Or Shadow of the Colossus, or Mirror's Edge. Not Red Dead Redemption... a game based on a formula established in 2001, set in the Old West and is written like a TV series with no continuity (I enjoyed RDR quite substantially compared to Deadwood... that was just ugh...).

If you disagree, that's fine. Don't tell me, someone who has been gaming for almost 20 years, and considers the majority of the creative video game industry as "artists," "shockingly immature." RDR didn't take any risks, they played it safe because they spent so much money and so much time on a game that needed to be successful... and the only way to do that, is to make something a lot of people will like, without taking "bold steps" that would piss off a lot of people who are comfortable with the established formulas and don't want "change."

since when does praise dictate if something is truly special or not? [...]LoG-Sacrament

I'll reiterate something I said in another thread:

Since when is popularity indicative of quality?

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#40 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

In this day of 5-hour games, I wholeheartedly welcome a bit of "padding" especially when the writing and the design is strong throughout.

alanthreonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 alanthreonus
Member since 2008 • 153 Posts

I think in order to fully appreciate RDR's story, you have to read between the lines a bit. For example, you have to see how the setting parallels John Marston's character. The game takes place during the early 1900s while the West is undergoing a lot of changes. The frontier is disappearing, and horses are slowly being replaced with automobiles. John Marston is stubbornly resisting these changes, while he is ironically trying to make some dramatic changes in himself. He wants nothing more than to leave his old life of crime and just settle down with his family, but the government tells him that he can never change, although they embrace all the ongoing environmental and societal changes. I could go on about this, but I think you get the idea.

RDR's story should also be praised just because of Bonnie MacFarlane's character. To paraphrase a recent GameInformer article: Most female video game characters are either a damsel in distress, or a sexy badass chick that can kick everyone's ass without any effort, but Bonnie is neither of these. She's a realistic woman with both strengths and weaknesses.

And to everyone that didn't like John Marston...I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I don't see how you can't like the guy. He's genuinely funny, and I really sympathized with him throughout the game.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10566 Posts

Elann2008

one of the worst for me. the final sequence of missions was mind numbingly dull and the ending was just head scratchingly incongruous

Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jbul

In this day of 5-hour games, I wholeheartedly welcome a bit of "padding" especially when the writing and the design is strong throughout.

UpInFlames

Very true.

Also interesting to note that RDR is Rockstars most streamlined effort to date.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Repetitive? Rockstar Games, repetitive?:lol:

Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#45 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

UpInFlames
I disagree that the writing was strong throughout. There were a couple times in the game when you're riding places during a mission and i wholeheartedly believed that the writer's thought that their writing was so great they had to resort to such blantant foreshadowing that i really felt it insulted my intelligence. Also the story not reflecting the morality of the player character is either a bad game design decision to add morality in a game that wasn't going to even reference it during the story or poor writing. Why would an evil Marsten care if a bunch of people were dragging women into a room for nonconsenting pleasure? why would a good Marsten stand by?