Any games like Shadow Hearts?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zeppelin_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 zeppelin_64
Member since 2006 • 3924 Posts
Can't get enough of it. Are there any like it specifically for PS1, PS2, GC, or DS?
Solori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#2 Solori
Member since 2007 • 462 Posts

Offhand, I can't think of any games that have a similar battle system.

SMT: Devil Summoner has a similar setting -- pre-WWII Japan. Both games share a similar dark theme. DS also has demons in it that are reminiscent of Yuri's devil transformations, but not quite the same. Both games have a lot of personality, though DS is not quite as witty as SH. So if you are looking for a similar presentation DS is a good game to try. The big difference between the 2 is the length (DS is not as long and does not have as many sidequests) and the battle system (DS has an action rpg battle system that requires you to catch and fight with demon allies)

SuperAgentZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 SuperAgentZero
Member since 2007 • 476 Posts

SMT: Devil Summoner has a similar setting -- pre-WWII Japan. Both games share a similar dark theme. DS also has demons in it that are reminiscent of Yuri's devil transformations, but not quite the same. Both games have a lot of personality, though DS is not quite as witty as SH. So if you are looking for a similar presentation DS is a good game to try. The big difference between the 2 is the length (DS is not as long and does not have as many sidequests) and the battle system (DS has an action rpg battle system that requires you to catch and fight with demon allies)

Solori

I can never find SMT anywhere. Isn't there one with Dante from DMC on the game? I want that one. So hard to find!

3KindgomsRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 3KindgomsRandy
Member since 2005 • 15488 Posts
[QUOTE="Solori"]

SuperAgentZero

I can never find SMT anywhere. Isn't there one with Dante from DMC on the game? I want that one. So hard to find!

Nocturne features Dante. It's....difficult to find.

willxcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 willxcool
Member since 2006 • 2038 Posts
like the guy said same battle sistem no but same type is SMT series, or hack gu, you get to press buttons when attacking
Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts

there is no game like Shadow Hearts and thats the reason its unique. its gameplay is unique, while it has dark theme it has alot of humor so its different than others.

SMT games are only dark themed games but they are good too like others said

3KindgomsRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 3KindgomsRandy
Member since 2005 • 15488 Posts
Don't know if you know this, but there is a prequel to SH called Koudelka on the PS. Don't know how it plays, but it IS directly related to the storyline.
Wet_Crevette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Wet_Crevette
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Well like some said earlier, Shadow Hearts has a combat system quite unique.

As far as I know, Koudelka is far, far, far, FAR from having a remotely similar or enjoyable combat system (the story, cut scenes & characters on the other hand are really well written & executed). I would recommend this game if you can look pass the horrendous combat & "in-combat" graphic ... I can still recall some interesting dialogue between the 3 & only protagonists ... you've done it! I'll probably be looking for this game on eBay now ...

If your looking for something similar, kind of, the only thing I can think of is Mario RPG on the SNES and maybe Paper Mario on N64 & GC where you have to press a button at the exact moment you attack or defend yourself (to built a combo or just to take less damage from you enemy's attack).

Avatar image for TheLegendKnight
TheLegendKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 TheLegendKnight
Member since 2007 • 1853 Posts

Well like some said earlier, Shadow Hearts has a combat system quite unique.

As far as I know, Koudelka is far, far, far, FAR from having a remotely similar or enjoyable combat system (the story, cut scenes & characters on the other hand are really well written & executed). I would recommend this game if you can look pass the horrendous combat & "in-combat" graphic ... I can still recall some interesting dialogue between the 3 & only protagonists ... you've done it! I'll probably be looking for this game on eBay now ...

If your looking for something similar, kind of, the only thing I can think of is Mario RPG on the SNES and maybe Paper Mario on N64 & GC where you have to press a button at the exact moment you attack or defend yourself (to built a combo or just to take less damage from you enemy's attack).

Wet_Crevette

actually Koudelka's battle system is like copy of FF Tactics, so its not horrible

Avatar image for garter_windwood
garter_windwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 garter_windwood
Member since 2007 • 512 Posts
Yeah as far as storyline/ theme goes Shin Megami Tensei games are your best shot. Nocturne is gonna cost you anywhere from 60 (I got lucky) to 150 dollars. Digital Devil Saga is about 75-90 dollars. Digital Devil Saga 2 is around 40-50 dollars and Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner is about 20 or 30 dollars. Persona (PS1) is about 90 dollars and Persona 2 (PS1) is about 40 dollars. Persona 3 loses a lot of the dark atmosphere and feel so I really won't add it ot the Shin Megami Tensei list in this case.
Wet_Crevette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Wet_Crevette
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

"TheLegendKnigl - actually Koudelka's battle system is like copy of FF Tactics, so its not horrible"

Ok, it's a tactics\RPG & the comparison could end there ... but why a copy of FF Tactics, I mean aren't Vandal Heart 1 & 2, Kartia, Arc the Lad Collection, Tactics Ogre & I'm forgetting some along the way just the same as well?

It's a water down tactic RPG: everything is flat, there's no background (just black all around, with different type of floor), there's not so much "tactics" involve during the actual fights (you can't move pass the monsters, to attack in their backs for exemple, which is a corner stone in said T\RPG), the combat are rather slow paced (which can be common in T\RPG but try Arc the Lad Collection and it's lightning fast) ... anyway you put it the game is awesome it just need a better combat system.

player2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 player2
Member since 2003 • 124 Posts

Yeah as far as storyline/ theme goes Shin Megami Tensei games are your best shot. Nocturne is gonna cost you anywhere from 60 (I got lucky) to 150 dollars. Digital Devil Saga is about 75-90 dollars. Digital Devil Saga 2 is around 40-50 dollars and Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner is about 20 or 30 dollars. Persona (PS1) is about 90 dollars and Persona 2 (PS1) is about 40 dollars. Persona 3 loses a lot of the dark atmosphere and feel so I really won't add it ot the Shin Megami Tensei list in this case.garter_windwood

notrly, Nocturne is 60$, thats true, inless you live somewhere where the economy is terroble, you can find Digital Devil Saga for 40$(got mine and see many at that price in FL), and Digital Devil Saga 2 for 20$( seen it only up to 40$, also not terribly hard to find) And yeah, Devil summoner is cheap, Its rare not to see it in stores >.>.

Just call around your local gamestores and if you call a gamestop, have them look it up on the computer to instantly see what stores have a chance of having one of those games. As for Persona 1, I've seen it for sell for 60$, but on ebay its only 40$, same with Persona 2.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Xenosaga Ep2 borrows a battle engine elements from Covenant. The juggling. That's the only simularity, though.

smoody_13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 smoody_13
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Can you get Mario RPG at the Wii store?
verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points