Any Games from this generation that you think will become rare in the future?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

No, don't worry, I didn't create this thread with the intention of hoarding rare games :P

but, with that said, I'm guessing in the future we will have some games from the current generation which will become hard to aquire due to low sales, any ideas?

If I had to guess I'd say:

PS3:

3D dot heroes

... the disgaea games? maybe?

360:

Deathsmiles?

Dodonpachi?

and maybe Akai Katana Shin?

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#2 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts

No, don't worry, I didn't create this thread with the intention of hoarding rare games :P

but, with that said, I'm guessing in the future we will have some games from the current generation which will become hard to aquire due to low sales, any ideas?

If I had to guess I'd say:

PS3:

3D dot heroes

... the disgaea games? maybe?

360:

Deathsmiles?

Dodonpachi?

and maybe Akai Katana Shin?

rilpas
Valkyria Chronicles won't and that's good enough for me :P I think Dead to Rights Retribution because the series just isn't as popular as it deserves.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#3 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41570 Posts
Rayman Origins comes to mind.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rilpas

Rayman Origins comes to mind.nintendoboy16
I don't think rayman origins will become rare ue to the fact that it's been ported to every system out there including the handhelds and the PC

Uloset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Uloset
Member since 2010 • 178 Posts

I'm voting for Child of Eden it didn't sell particularly well even though it is a very unique game in a genre that is not often explored.

Also Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, decent game with a good story and great atmosphere that just didn't sell well.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#6 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

I would assume that the 'rare' games won't come until the end of the generation's lifespan. These will be the somewhat lowered production number games that may be great, but just came in during the wrong time. I think the mainstreaming of video games as a pastime has somewhat eliminated rarity for many games, just simply because of the mass produced and cross platform games are out there.

Of course, the systems will get a lot of crap towards the end of the generation, but there may be a few diamonds in the rough.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

Yeah Call of Duty 4 will be pretty rare.

logicalfrank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 96

#8 logicalfrank
Member since 2011 • 1686 Posts

There are plenty of games that are rare right now. Most of these would be terrible shovelware crud that won't be worth anything. I think what you are really asking is will anything this generation become valuable to collectors--and yeah I'm sure there will be. I know Tales of the Abyss and Devil Survivor Overclocked both went up in price for 3DS when they were temporarily unavailable. Seems like RPGs in general tend to do this more than other games, they seem more likely than other genres to become cult classics.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

stalin vs martians

universe @ war: earth assault

painkiller: ressurection (hardcopy)

halo 2 (pc)

gears 1 (retail) (pc)

guildwars factions platinum edition (\this bundle saw VERY limited circulation in retail, i have 1) i had to check 6 stores in my city for a single copy it contains factions and eye of the north. the box is silver

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rilpas

stalin vs martians

halo 2 (pc)

gears 1 (retail) (pc)

guildwars factions platinum edition (\this bundle saw VERY limited circulation in retail, i have 1) i had to check 6 stores in my city for a single copy it contains factions and eye of the north. the box is silver

ionusX

Universe at war? really? I own that game, bought for 5 euro

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ionusX

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

stalin vs martians

halo 2 (pc)

gears 1 (retail) (pc)

rilpas

yeah.. it wasnt a very good game.. not many people own it, sort of like shadowrun on pc.. plenty of xbox copies exist but pc is a bit ahrder to come by. nobody bought vista.. thatd be why

earth assault is my wild card of that bunch. the rest you will be lucky to find copies of. halo 2 will be coveted by its owner like a bible.. heck it is now. ressurection was basically never pre-ordered hardcopy and DD copies abound as jowood basically threw them at ppl. gears 1 will be coveted like mad and stalin vs martians already is a rare game.. i know absolutely NO ONE on pc & mac games on pc ahrdware who owns a copy and nobody in real life.

and yeah i own a copy as well. i paid $7.50 CDN (about the same price as you give or take pocket change)

why is it msot of the rare games are absolute dung?

planetjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 planetjumper
Member since 2010 • 638 Posts

Atelier series, Tales of Graces, Disgaea, star ocean, ni no kuni

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

stalin vs martians

halo 2 (pc)

gears 1 (retail) (pc)

ionusX

yeah.. it wasnt a very good game.. not many people own it, sort of like shadowrun on pc.. plenty of xbox copies exist but pc is a bit ahrder to come by. nobody bought vista.. thatd be why

earth assault is my wild card of that bunch. the rest you will be lucky to find copies of. halo 2 will be coveted by its owner like a bible.. heck it is now. ressurection was basically never pre-ordered hardcopy and DD copies abound as jowood basically threw them at ppl. gears 1 will be coveted like mad and stalin vs martians already is a rare game.. i know absolutely NO ONE on pc & mac games on pc ahrdware who owns a copy and nobody in real life.

and yeah i own a copy as well. i paid $7.50 CDN (about the same price as you give or take pocket change)

why is it msot of the rare games are absolute dung?

they're rare and dung because no one buys them :P

as for Universe at war, the was ok, it had some interesting ideas, but that was about it

bub166

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 bub166
Member since 2006 • 2607 Posts

Xenoblade was made in low quantities in NA.

You could also mention Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary or Metroid Prime Trilogy, but they're technically compilations of remakes. One of them a remake of a compilation of remakes...

Uloset

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Uloset
Member since 2010 • 178 Posts

Xenoblade was made in low quantities in NA.

You could also mention Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary or Metroid Prime Trilogy, but they're technically compilations of remakes. One of them a remake of a compilation of remakes...

bub166

I was going to mention Metroid Prime Trilogy as well, but figured it was already rare and didn't need mentioning.

I think many rare and sought after titles will emerge from the Wii since it has a shrinking base of hardcore games which tend to sell poorly as the system has been branded kiddy and mainstream and consequently abounded by many hardcore gamers.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
Valkyria Chronicles, 3D Dot Games Heroes, and Xenoblade.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21703 Posts

Xenoblade, and just looking at how much it goes for now, Metroid Prime Trilogy is going to get big time inflated prices.

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

Xenoblade comes to mind.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rilpas
Valkyria Chronicles, 3D Dot Games Heroes, and Xenoblade.AcidSoldner
I doubt Valkyria Chronicles will become rare, the game sold over a million units according to wikipedia
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

Some games that I think will increase in value or at least retain much of their value in coming years:

-Xenoblade Chroncles

-Dodonpachi

-Deathsmiles

-Metroid Prime Trilogy

-Super Mario All Stars 25th Anniversary Edition

-The Orange Box (PS3 version)

-No More Heroes (PS3 version)

KillerJuan77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KillerJuan77
Member since 2007 • 3823 Posts

Operation Darkness

3D Dot Game Heroes

Hyperdimension Neptunia 1 and Mk2

Cross Edge

Calling

Fragile Dreams

Alice Madness Returns

Risen 360

Need For Speed: Most Wanted 360

Child Of Eden

Shadows Of The Damned

Akai Katana

Dodonpachi Resurrection

Mushihimesama Futari 1.5

The Last Remnant

Resonance Of Fate

The PS3 Atelier games

Ar Tonelico Qoga

Also, most of the NISA games I mentioned are horrendous.

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

PSP games?

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

I know of a couple that are already rare on PS3. I was looking at one the other day for $350 new. I'm not saying what it is because I've only seen 3 copy's. I plan on getting it soon.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I know of a couple that are already rare on PS3. I was looking at one the other day for $350 new. I'm not saying what it is because I've only seen 3 copy's. I plan on getting it soon.

jdc6305

Care to say the title? I'm curious to know if this "rare" PS3 game is really worth that much. Don't worry, I'm not going to try to outbid you or anything like that, believe me, there's no way I would pay $350 for any PS3 game.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ionusX

i think retail copies of operation flashpoint 2 & 3 for pc will also be hard to come by

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rilpas

[QUOTE="jdc6305"]

Vari3ty

Care to say the title? I'm curious to know if this "rare" PS3 game is really worth that much. Don't worry, I'm not going to try to outbid you or anything like that, believe me, there's no way I would pay $350 for any PS3 game.

I'm guessing it's some collector's edition

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]Valkyria Chronicles, 3D Dot Games Heroes, and Xenoblade.rilpas
I doubt Valkyria Chronicles will become rare, the game sold over a million units according to wikipedia

Did it really? I was under the impression that it didn't met expectation which was the reason to having the sequels on the PSP.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]Valkyria Chronicles, 3D Dot Games Heroes, and Xenoblade.AcidSoldner

Did it really? I was under the impression that it didn't met expectation which was the reason to having the sequels on the PSP.

well I don't know what the expectations were and bare in mind, it IS wikipedia we're talking about

but it says that when Sega slashed the game's price in half it's sales picked up by a lot

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#29 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts

[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"][QUOTE="rilpas"] I doubt Valkyria Chronicles will become rare, the game sold over a million units according to wikipediarilpas

well I don't know what the expectations were and bare in mind, it IS wikipedia we're talking about

but it says that when Sega slashed the game's price in half it's sales picked up by a lot

Valkyria Chronicles 2 was developed for the PSP because it was cheaper for Sega to develop for the PSP than the PS3 and PSP was more popular in Japan. Nothing about lower-than-expected sales. The localization of Valkyria Chronicles 3 wasn't done because the PSP version didn't sell well in US regions (thank you, pirates *spits*) but it sold really well in Japan. I should know. I'm a sick fan of the Valkyria Chronicles series :lol: And no, I don't think Valkyria Chronicles will become rare. I hope not too. :(
ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ionusX

[QUOTE="jdc6305"]

Vari3ty

lol i dont own a ps3.. pleae inform us

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rilpas

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

[QUOTE="jdc6305"]

ionusX

I own a PS3, but there's no way in heck I'd pay 350 for a game collector's edition or not

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ionusX

[QUOTE="ionusX"]

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

rilpas

I own a PS3, but there's no way in heck I'd pay 350 for a game collector's edition or not

based on his claims i think its killzone 3's helghast edition LOLOLOLOL

Avatar image for Sportyfamilycar
Sportyfamilycar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sportyfamilycar
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts

There are plenty of games that are rare right now. Most of these would be terrible shovelware crud that won't be worth anything. I think what you are really asking is will anything this generation become valuable to collectors--and yeah I'm sure there will be. I know Tales of the Abyss and Devil Survivor Overclocked both went up in price for 3DS when they were temporarily unavailable. Seems like RPGs in general tend to do this more than other games, they seem more likely than other genres to become cult classics.

logicalfrank

I agree 100%. I know Lost Odyssey (360) sold a good amount but I see that game becoming more valuable in the future, along with sealed original copies or the Collectors Edition of the Elder Scrolls Oblivion (360). Fallout 3 I see keeping a steady value as always.

rwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 rwallacefan
Member since 2005 • 4886 Posts
The Orange Box (probably the rarest PS3 game out there and still holds a 30 dollar price tag at Gamestop, MUST....GET....IT!!!!) now I doubt this one, but to me it seems rare as heck for me, The Darkness (first one) I mentioned this on the PS3 forum since this game was in a very dark shadow of the 360 version and it secretly released I think The Sly Collection as well, it's a collection I CANT FIND !!!!!!!!! I mean I tried every game store, regular store (Target, Walmart, Kohl's.).. you name it! I haven't found it at all, sure the simple solution is order online, but I sometimes want to buy the game in the store :P) Splinter Cell Double Agent (see above The Darkness) College Hoops 2K8 (yeah it sounds stupid, but for some stupid reason I can't find this game in a store, but it is the last 2K college basketball game ever made so far)
Mintymatti017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#35 Mintymatti017
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Hmm maybe the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection.

Cornered_Fox97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Cornered_Fox97
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Little Kings Story and Zack and wiki are two underrated wii titles i can see being worth a bit in a few years.

A lot of psp games are already becoming quite expensive and hard to find.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#37 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

I would probably say the Wii has some of the best chance of having games gain in value in the future. There are some great games coming out towards the end of its life that just don't have the backing because of the system's slowdown.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#38 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

PSP games?

mahlasor

Since PSP sales have more or less stagnated in the US most games for it have dropped in price dramatically. Even ones that are technicaly rare dont sell for more than 20$ usually in a store.

The only game I can think of that I know has gone up in price for the PSP is Hexyz Force. The release was botched and so the stores that did get it got it late. Im guessing that if the local private used store I go to happened to get one in, they would sell it for around 50$. You can get it on the PSN though too.

As for games from this gen in general: Xenoblade, Mario All Stars 25th, 3D Dot Heroes, DTR Retribution, Disgaea 3 & 4, Tales of Graces, Tales of Vesperia, Divinity II DNS, all the Ys games on PSP.

Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

Anything made by CAVE and released in Japan will go up in price almost immediately .