Another Watch Dogs review scores it 7.2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

I'm sure other sites will hype it up and score it a 9 out of 10. It seems Ubisoft resets all your skills to zero and punishes you when you turn off the Online option.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=820807

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#2 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Breaking embargo, huh? Yeah, that's a good way to make yourself seem trustworthy... especially when seemingly no one else in the press has access yet.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HipHopBeats

@c_rakestraw said:

Breaking embargo, huh? Yeah, that's a good way to make yourself seem trustworthy... especially when seemingly no one else in the press has access yet.

As with all games, some people apparently already have the game from stores selling early copies.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@c_rakestraw said:

especially when seemingly no one else in the press has access yet.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the press already received their copies and are probably in the process of beginning to play it? The game is coming out a week from today, so that should be a enough time to play & review it.

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Behardy24

I haven't read that NeoGAF review nor do I plan to, but I just going to guess that the version that person played hasn't been updated to the day 1 patch.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

Yeah, I don't put stock in reviews by people who don't know what the word "protagonist" means.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HipHopBeats
@El_Zo1212o said:

Yeah, I don't put stock in reviews by people who don't know what the word "protagonist" means.

Lol! I think you mean 'antihero'.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Yeah this is total bs. They are breaking the embargo. I am going to wait until the proper sites release a review of it

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Behardy24

@The_Last_Ride said:

They are breaking the embargo. I am going to wait until the proper sites release a review of it

I agree.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

LOL. "First Watch_Dogs review based most likely on multiplayer beta now available". seems legit.

and "another"? wheres the other one?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I still find it amazing how the gaming "press" respects these review embargoes at all. They are supposed to be telling the consumers about the game before they have a chance to waste their money on something they shouldn't, or in a more positive sense, telling people who normally wouldn't have been interested, this isn't one worth skipping.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#12 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts
@HipHopBeats said:

As with all games, some people apparently already have the game from stores selling early copies.

Perhaps, but it sure doesn't make you look good as a professional media outlet. I'd be wary about working with them in the future if I were Ubisoft.

@behardy24 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the press already received their copies and are probably in the process of beginning to play it? The game is coming out a week from today, so that should be a enough time to play & review it.

Last I heard -- which was a couple days ago -- it sounded like it all still up in the air. Could have changed since then, but I haven't heard anything. One week isn't much for a game as vast as Watch Dogs looks to be, though. Two weeks at least would be more ideal to give reviewers enough time to really dig in to all the content it supposedly offers.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

flop incoming?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44275 Posts

Isn't this just some review of the current multiplayer demo? I'll wait for the proper reviews to come out.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HipHopBeats

@foxhound_fox said:

I still find it amazing how the gaming "press" respects these review embargoes at all. They are supposed to be telling the consumers about the game before they have a chance to waste their money on something they shouldn't, or in a more positive sense, telling people who normally wouldn't have been interested, this isn't one worth skipping.

Review embargos and devs taking down early gameplay streams are all bullshit. If devs were 100% confident in their product, an early review or leaked gameplay shouldn't matter. I can see devs and gaming sites enforcing reviewers and gameplay posters to put spoiler warnings for gamers who want to avoid spoilers. This is why I don't mind seeing leaked gameplay footage versus taking a chance and falling for the hype which may or may not lead to disappointment.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HipHopBeats
@Netret0120 said:

flop incoming?

If you don't mind spoilers, check my other Watch Dogs thread with gameplay footage and you be the judge.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#17 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

Yeah this is total bs. They are breaking the embargo. I am going to wait until the proper sites release a review of it

They are actually breaking a lot more than just a embargo, they are most likely also pirates so honestly who gives a crap what they give any game.

they could give it a 1 or 10 and it would still be worth absolute nothing.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Sounds about what I expected: good single player and lackluster generic online. Gonna give it a rental at least.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HipHopBeats

@groowagon said:

LOL. "First Watch_Dogs review based most likely on multiplayer beta now available". seems legit.

and "another"? wheres the other one?

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/05/20/watch_dogs-first-legit-review-gives-it-a-19-out-of-20-calls-it-almost-perfect-technically-very-solid/

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@HipHopBeats: what a brief review for such a big and hyped game. It just seems lazy.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

They are actually breaking a lot more than just a embargo, they are most likely also pirates so honestly who gives a crap what they give any game.

which means they don't have the full game

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jacanuk

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

They probably have the full game, its been done for a bit now and you can be sure that most stores have it in stock at the back.

But still their review is just BS and not even worth the paper its written on.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts

@foxhound_fox
said:

They are supposed to be telling the consumers about the game before they have a chance to waste their money on something they shouldn't

Personally, I'm not going to sympathise with the disappointing experiences of people who can't refrain themselves for just a little while after the game officially comes out...

If websites didn't respect embargoes they would probably focus solely on getting reviews out as quickly as possible to generate the most traffic. One might argue the quality of reviews is already questionable, but disrespecting embargoes would make it even worse.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Awesome, glad they broke that bullshit embargo, looks like I'm not missing much by avoiding this game because of Ubi's douchebaggy decisions.

Seems like a bargain bin or rental game right here...

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Jacanuk

@jer_1 said:

Awesome, glad they broke that bullshit embargo, looks like I'm not missing much by avoiding this game because of Ubi's douchebaggy decisions.

Embargo´s are not BS or anything.

The Embargo is in place to ensure a level playing field after all we don't all live in Murica

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

publishers have all the power in this relationship. In a lot of ways, it's the same thing that goes on with the news. If sites want access to press kits - early images, videos, interviews, demos, etc - then they have to play by the rules publishers are setting for them or the tap will be turned off. The alternative is to develop sources internally, research, etc....all the things journalists used to do. But even big time news companies don't do much of that anymore. We live in an era where journalism is about "letting the news come to you," and shit like this is the result.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

@Jacanuk said:

@jer_1 said:

Embargo´s are not BS or anything.

The Embargo is in place to ensure a level playing field after all we don't all live in Murica

/not convinced

Embargo's are more than likely there to save a shitheel publishers ass because they're about to release a shitty game. There are exceptions naturally, but these certainly aren't in place to level any playing field, and the absolutely aren't there for the consumer.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#28 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59068 Posts

Interesting. I wonder if gamespot will take the skill reset into account.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By loafofgame
@Ish_basic said:

publishers have all the power in this relationship. In a lot of ways, it's the same thing that goes on with the news. If sites want access to press kits - early images, videos, interviews, demos, etc - then they have to play by the rules publishers are setting for them or the tap will be turned off. The alternative is to develop sources internally, research, etc....all the things journalists used to do. But even big time news companies don't do much of that anymore. We live in an era where journalism is about "letting the news come to you," and shit like this is the result.

I wouldn't call anything related to reviewing games journalism. I'd say it's criticism. Besides, this kind of influence by big companies is nothing new. One could trace that back to the first popular newspapers. Journalists still do that alternative stuff you mention, but to me the problem seems to be that there's a tendency these days to see an opinion piece or a review as journalism (and even worse, to judge it as such). And of course, with the availability of the internet a lot of people are unwilling to pay for quality journalism in the first place, which means all these websites can't act as independently as they maybe should... The best these websites can do is present the news as attractively as possible in the hope of attracting visitors who might read the ads.

But still, I think it's important to make a distinction between what is criticism and what is journalism on a gaming website. Game publishers have embargoes, because the game is their product and they want optimal selling conditions, which makes perfect sense. This isn't about vital information that needs to be shared with the world as soon as possible; it's about an entertainment product that we want to judge. Controlling the time window in which information can be released doesn't violate any ethical boundaries in this case. Besides, reviews still seem to have a significant influence on sales, so I doubt publishers have all the power in this. Embargoes are respected, because they are harmless and make sense. In my opinion any ideas about journalistic integrity or responsibility do not apply here.

@jer_1 said:

/not convinced

Embargo's are more than likely there to save a shitheel publishers ass because they're about to release a shitty game. There are exceptions naturally, but these certainly aren't in place to level any playing field, and the absolutely aren't there for the consumer.

The aim might not be to create a level playing field, but it does result in one. Not having embargoes wouldn't be very good for the consumer either, because it would probably lead to websites competing over who can publish reviews the quickest (since those will attract a lot of people), which can't be good for the quality of the review. Embargoes create optimal selling conditions for publishers, which makes sense, because in the end the game is their product and they want to sell it. As I said earlier, I can't sympathise with the disappointing experience of anyone who can't refrain from buying a game as soon as it comes out. In my opinion publishers don't have to take into account the impatience and lack of discipline so many consumers have.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#30 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59068 Posts

I'm really glad to see this game will have a difficulty mod. One of my biggest problems with Assasins Creed was the lack of challenge. Apparently you will not be able to simply run in and engage in fire-fights on the higher difficulties.

Justin_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Justin_G
Member since 2004 • 202 Posts

@loafofgame said:

I wouldn't call anything related to reviewing games journalism. I'd say it's criticism. -- In my opinion any ideas about journalistic integrity or responsibility do not apply here.

excellent post; don't wanna quote the whole thing so i'll just quote the jist, but still excellent overall. news and stories relating to gaming, like new games, industry, trends, developers and producers and the people who work on games ect that's journalism. reviews are criticism and do not have the same tenants of "journalistic integrity".

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

They probably have the full game, its been done for a bit now and you can be sure that most stores have it in stock at the back.

But still their review is just BS and not even worth the paper its written on.

i doubt it, the game went gold just a few days ago

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

@loafofgame:Embargoes are respected, because they are harmless and make sense. In my opinion any ideas about journalistic integrity or responsibility do not apply here.

Embargoes are respected for the same reasons people on the news don't ask politicians the hard questions - because if you do, they won't come back. When I was doing this, we got presskits and passes and that's how we were able to deliver exclusive pics and information when there was no tangible product. Interviews may often be initiated by the publisher themselves. Ignoring things like an embargo is an easy way to no longer get access, and that means losing your readers to another site.

I don't think any reviewer would have a problem with waiting until a week or so before launch to publish their review, but some games push it all the way to launch. I'm sure it's good for business, but that doesn't mean it's not shady. It's fair to ask: if you really have a good product, wouldn't you want people to know sooner?

Also, of course journalistic integrity applies to criticism. If you intentionally skew the facts and then build your criticism on that skewed data, that is an integrity issue. If you withhold criticism that could help your readers make a more informed choice (and any good criticism should contain objective bits of information that qualify as journalism) because it is more financially beneficial for you to do so, that is an integrity issue.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 HipHopBeats

I gotta say, after watching gameplay for all platforms, Ubi had GTA V under a magnifying glass when they were putting the finishing touches on this. PS3 / 360 versions are shit graphics wise and only encourage you to go next gen to get the true experience. PS4 version looks like slightly better than X1. The gaming world looks detailed, but very static and unlively even more so than GTA V.

It's like pedestrians are robotic drones that just walk around waiting for you to gun them down. And then you see an icon of a ped calling the cops on you for shooting in public with generic dialog. Carjacking, driving and shooting looks very similar to GTA V but more arcade like.Gameplay looks fun at first but gets very repetitive over time. It looks good but a little over hyped imo.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#35 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

The game will flop

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 loafofgame

@Ish_basic
said:

Embargoes are respected for the same reasons people on the news don't ask politicians the hard questions - because if you do, they won't come back. When I was doing this, we got presskits and passes and that's how we were able to deliver exclusive pics and information when there was no tangible product. Interviews may often be initiated by the publisher themselves. Ignoring things like an embargo is an easy way to no longer get access, and that means losing your readers to another site.

With regard to journalism in general I think we have different experiences here. I don't know where you're from, but I do not feel that in my country (The Netherlands) journalists generally do not ask the hard questions. Sure, there are instances where journalists could have been more confronting, but I feel there's a pretty open journalistic landscape when it comes to discussing the difficult issues with the people involved.

Also, I'd say political/societal journalism shouldn't be so directly compared to journalism involved in the consumption of luxury items. When it comes to the entertainment industry there's obviously a lot more pre-release control by publishers, because people don't just report on these products, they judge them. Appreciation and sales rely on taste, experience and preferences and people are largely relying on opinions to make a decision. There's often too much at stake to be lenient with the embargo. And there's very little publishers can do after the game is released, so I understand their pre-release caution.

@Ish_basic said:

I don't think any reviewer would have a problem with waiting until a week or so before launch to publish their review, but some games push it all the way to launch. I'm sure it's good for business, but that doesn't mean it's not shady. It's fair to ask: if you really have a good product, wouldn't you want people to know sooner?

I don't think so. You want a clearly delineated period, because you don't want sales to be influenced by a few early reviews that might have been rushed just to be the first. You want people to base their purchase on a lot of balanced reviews. Look, I'm sure that's not the actual reason publishers have embargoes, but I cannot sympathise with impatient consumers. Once the embargo is lifted, games will generally get the judgement they deserve. If you can't wait a little longer, then that's your fault. Consumers not taking any responsibility in this is just as shady in my book. To me there's no inherent harm in having embargoes. Consumers create that harm themselves.

@Ish_basic said:

Also, of course journalistic integrity applies to criticism. If you intentionally skew the facts and then build your criticism on that skewed data, that is an integrity issue. If you withhold criticism that could help your readers make a more informed choice (and any good criticism should contain objective bits of information that qualify as journalism) because it is more financially beneficial for you to do so, that is an integrity issue.

That's a good point. I shouldn't have painted such a black and white picture. I'm just very hesitant to see criticism as journalism. I think that at their core they are two very different things, but that doesn't mean some journalistic principles can't be applied to criticism. However, this is about selling luxury products, products that are owned by publishers, products that are not vital to our existence. To me it makes sense that a publisher exerts more control in that context. In the end, we don't actually need videogames, so a publisher has to do everything to make you want to need it. But really, without impatient consumers embargoes seem pretty harmless, because it doesn't stop a bad game from being judged as a bad game when the reviews eventually come out. And I don't think publishers have to cater to consumers who lack discipline. From a moral standpoint I guess you could say publishers shouldn't exploit that consumer tendency, but well... one could also question lazy and impatient consumers.