And the review score for Mass Effect is...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mattm025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mattm025
Member since 2003 • 146 Posts

Just got my November issue of Game Informer (wasn't expecting it this early and I also wasn't expecting Tim Schafer's new game on the cover: "Brutal Legend") and low and behold, Mass Effect is reviewed!

Concept: One of the greatest science fictions stories ever told, and a new benchmark for video game storytelling

Sound: One of the most memorable and unique soundtracks in gaming. It's inspired by '80s sci-fi, yet sound like nothing you've heard before. The game also features an amazing ensemble of voice actors.

Playibility: Functional and fun, but something always seems to be an amiss with the AI and balancing

Entertainment: An expansive quest (18-30 hours) that toys with your emotions, and keeps you engaged

GFX: Every second of gameplay offers the visual quality you have come to expect from Final Fantasy cutscenes

Replay Value: High

jarhead1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 jarhead1990
Member since 2005 • 2079 Posts
i might pick this up, depends on how busy i am with other games. maybe a few months after release.
Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 GalvatronType_R
Member since 2003 • 3113 Posts
Jeff will give ME a 3.5. His chief complaint will be that the release of ME didn't prevent Iran from gaining nuclear weapons, didn't get Kim Jong-il out of office, and didn't correctly predict the outcome of Dancing with the Stars.
selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts
wow :| that's an early review...
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts
Mmm cant wait for this game,I've been waiting for it since E3 2006 :P .
selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 selbie
Please oh please port to the PC :(
Jagazaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jagazaar
Member since 2007 • 1023 Posts
For the record, what scores did Game Informer give to KOTOR 1 & 2?
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
Hope this comes to the PC. Than I'll get it for sure. Knowing BioWare's history, the PC version should be out a year after.
Hate_Squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Hate_Squad
Member since 2007 • 1357 Posts
wow,18-30 hours looks really long,it'll take ages to finish.WTF?It's supposed to be an action rpg not a FPS(even though from the trailer it seemed 100% action to me) why is it that short.But we all know the ratings today.When a game scores more than 9 it's bound to be a disappointment and surely not to live up to its hype.Maybe this game will prove me wrong but I really doubt it
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ASK_Story

I do agree, it feels a bit short.

I think for any RPG at least 40 hours minimum is a good length.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#12 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Please oh please port to the PC :(selbie

Don't worry, it's BioWare. This is coming to PC next year - mark my words.

While Game Informer isn't the best source for reviews, this is still a good indicator. Begone, oh ye of little faith!

mattm025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mattm025
Member since 2003 • 146 Posts
I have a feeling that the 18-30 hours is without the sidequests and exploration of the galaxies.
trifecta_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 trifecta_basic
Member since 2003 • 11542 Posts

ASK_Story

Quality > Quantity.

Korubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Korubi
Member since 2003 • 261 Posts
One of the greatest science fiction stories ever told? Wow. That's a huge statement, even if it is coming from Game Informer. That's got to mean the story is, at the least, brilliant. I guess this might end up every bit as good as it looks.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

GI isn't a reviewer whose reviews I hang my hat on, but what did they claim were ME's 'AI and balancing' issues?

EDIT: Also, how much exploring can one do? How many worlds are there and how big are they?

Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#17 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts
wow,18-30 hours looks really long,it'll take ages to finish.WTF?It's supposed to be an action rpg not a FPS(even though from the trailer it seemed 100% action to me) why is it that short.But we all know the ratings today.When a game scores more than 9 it's bound to be a disappointment and surely not to live up to its hype.Maybe this game will prove me wrong but I really doubt itHate_Squad
You got some good points there.And almost every time the magazines say something about 50h gameplay (like in PSU) you finished in almost 30h even if you took your time...Where are the 40-80h RPGs???
Galzakian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 Galzakian
Member since 2004 • 5160 Posts

Awesome. Should be the first of many reviews praising what should be a fantastic open-ended sci-fi game.

I think, or at least I hope, the main campaign and the side quests you get from characters is 18-30 hours, and hopefully there's additional content and quests available throughout the galaxy that extend that gameplay time to something over 40 hours.

Hopefully there's new content released in later months too. That'd be great :D

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

ASK_Story

Like I've said before, I don't worry about arbitrary minimums. There was a time I was willing and able to slog through lengthy boring parts that one finds in many jrpgs, but nowadays I just find myself unwilling to do that. Most reviewers said that many hours in Suikoden 3 got really epic (and the opening cinema contained some really interesting stuff), but during that initial slog I realized I wasn't having fun, so I stopped S3 a little more than a dozen hours in. On the other hand, I put 150 hours into FF12, which I found entertaining throughout.

Length is a good thing, but quality is more important. If ME is a fun game throughout, I can look past its length.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ASK_Story
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

CarnageHeart

Like I've said before, I don't worry about arbitrary minimums. There was a time I was willing and able to slog through lengthy boring parts that one finds in many jrpgs, but nowadays I just find myself unwilling to do that. Most reviewers said that many hours in Suikoden 3 got really epic (and the opening cinema contained some really interesting stuff), but during that initial slog I realized I wasn't having fun, so I stopped S3 a little more than a dozen hours in. On the other hand, I put 150 hours into FF12, which I found entertaining throughout.

Length is a good thing, but quality is more important. If ME is a fun game throughout, I can look past its length.

I totally agree with you, but I guess I'm talking about good quality games being too short. A game like Mass Effect, IMO, would be much better if it was longer, only because the game is probably good that I wouldn't want it to end. Like your example, FFXII, how since it's so good you could pour a ton of hours into it and still keep playing it. I'm sure Mass Effect has a solid story so that's why it may be told in that specific amount of time. But still, sometimes I feel letdown by the short length of good games and wonder what could've been done to lengthen the experience.

And I can't believe you didn't like Suikoden III. To each his own, but I really enjoyed Suikoden III and I think it was one of the JRPGs that I truly liked last-gen, the other being DQVIII. I looked past the sluggishness of Suikoden III and really thought the story was good, definitely unlike the other last-gen JRPGs with crazy storylines and plots that absolutely make no sense whatsoever.

Anyway, that's my point on Mass Effect. If a game is really good, shorter length feels like a letdown...to me it kind of does. So that's when my preference in length comes in. And like you said, if the game stinks than all the hours in history would never make me play through a terrible game.

Avatar image for instantdeath999
instantdeath999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 instantdeath999
Member since 2007 • 3470 Posts
I usually trust GameInformer with reviews, so awesome. And about the length... this is just two people. They might have gone through it fast, who knows.
selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 selbie
I don't see the issue about length...isn't there plenty of side-questing outside of the main story? For me quality makes the game playable whether it be 6 or 60 hours long. Sure it's less playing time, but sometimes shorter is good so that it doesn't drag out into a tedious marathon. The side quests can add extra padding.
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

A game has to last as long as the designers can keep up the quality. If it feels like it could last more without getting tiresome, then it's too short. Otherwise, it's too long. Mass Effect sounds great, but GI has a tendency to give out high marks in it's reviews. Anyway, I usually love Bioware games, so this should make me happy.

kirk4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kirk4ever
Member since 2005 • 3543 Posts
i subbo from all the gameplay ive seen,,there alo of pausing in the battles..u have to keep pausing and choosing mates action and stuff and all the powers and magics and attacks an positions once you choose you OK then everythin is auto exept you..but some things you do is still auto
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts
Game Informer is GameStop's evil propaganda magazine designed to sell games, so I wouldn't trust it entirely, but it's still a pretty good indicator of a great game.
hair001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hair001
Member since 2005 • 1202 Posts
Great looking game, this hsould keep me occupied for a long time when I buy it. I'm suprised they got the review in now, I thought it wasn't out until early December
winnerjay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 winnerjay
Member since 2003 • 493 Posts

Jeff will give ME a 3.5. His chief complaint will be that the release of ME didn't prevent Iran from gaining nuclear weapons, didn't get Kim Jong-il out of office, and didn't correctly predict the outcome of Dancing with the Stars.GalvatronType_R
lolololol

fathoms_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 fathoms_basic
Member since 2002 • 22116 Posts
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"]

CarnageHeart

It depends on how you interpret a good story. I loved every second of Suikoden III because I enjoyed all the settings and gameplay. I liked how each story progressed, and the pacing. On the other hand, I kept losing sight of FF XII's story because I would take the extra time to run around and do other things...something I couldn't really do in SIII, but something I also didn't really WANT to do, because I liked the stories. I put about 130 hours into FF XII myself (did everything), but I put a good 65 into Suikoden III and always wanted to play it again...especially for the story. FF XII had a great story, but as I'm not really a fan of political-based plotlines, it didn't interest me as much. The ending was fantastic, though.

As for Mass Effect, I'm getting it. I've no doubt it's great, and I do agree that we shouldn't worry about arbitrary minimum lengths. Like I said with Heavenly Sword, if the developer's full story and vision fits nicely into the span of time it takes for the player to complete the adventure, that's a great thing. If it feels rushed or drawn out, than it's a problem, but developers should completely ignore length "requirements" and simply make the best game they can with the ideas they have.

Darth_Tigris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 Darth_Tigris
Member since 2002 • 2506 Posts

Am I the only one that typically takes longer with a game than the estimates of these reviewers?

Anyway, review sounds pretty much exactly like I expected. Good news.

kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts

Am I the only one that typically takes longer with a game than the estimates of these reviewers?

Darth_Tigris

Always takes longer for me, but I'm assuming that reviewers are much better players than I am and that I'm making many more stops along the way than they are to look for secrets, play minigames, etc. But even without those, the main quest always takes me longer. I usually go about 25-50% longerthan the amount of hours that reviews or packages state are in the game.

Very excited about this review, can't wait for this game :D

Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts
Game Informer. And a whole month before release. Yeah, that's a credible review.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts
Game Informer. And a whole month before release. Yeah, that's a credible review.Alaris83
It's common for game magazines to get advance copies that are nearly finished from the standpoint of bug testing, but are essentialy finished in terms of content. Typically they aren't retail copies, but they are near finished, 'print review' copies.
Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts
Yeah I think that's usually how it goes, review copy along with a pre-made review, right? :)
Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

Mass Effect looking interesting, however I can't entirely trust an early review from Game Informer.

After all, Game Informer also gave Jade Empire on Xbox a 9.5.....while Gamespot gave it an 8.4.

It'll be interesting to see how Gamespot views it, especially if the game happens to be as short for an RPG as Game Informer claims....which was one of the shortcoming Gamespot held against Jade Empire.

SolidSnaku401

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SolidSnaku401
Member since 2007 • 139 Posts
9.7.... it will be even better than KOTOR since the combat system is essentially in realtime and has better control
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

Does this not bother anyone else?

One of the greatest stories ever told!

One of the most memorable soundtracks in gaming!

Amazing visuals!

Gameplay isFunctional and fun, but something always seems to be an amiss with the AI and balancing

9.75!!!!! :? Sooo indicative of so many games and reviews these days.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Mass Effect is one of the very rare games that I'm buying with absolutely zero regard to what any review or player has to say about it.

I've found myself leaning away from conventional JRPGs due to the way some of them are designed (with the idea that the player has a hint book on hand), the grinding (there IS a reason why it's referred to as grinding -- because it's a ******* GRIND), and the ham-fisted storytelling. KOTOR had none of that BS, and that's why I'm giving Bioware the honor of buying their game sight unseen/unplayed. I hope they don't abuse this trust.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ASK_Story

Does anyone else think Mass Effect should be the last of its kind, just like Twilight Princess should be the last Zelda of its kind? Do youthink BioWare's formula is getting old now and they should find new ways to make their games more innovative? I really like BioWare games. I play NeverWinter Nights and Star Wars KotoR on my PC still and I really enjoy them, but I do tend to feel that their formula has remained similaras their past games. Even Jade Empire and Mass Effect seems to play the same.

But these are RPGs so maybe it's a little bit more difficult and a risk to change a formula. I guess for RPGs, a similar formula is the way to go just like all those countless JRPGs that come out every time.

But I think BioWare should try out new things for their next game, maybe a more innovative RPG or a FPS-styled RPG or something. While working on KotoR III of course! ;)

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Does anyone else think Mass Effect should be the last of its kind, just like Twilight Princess should be the last Zelda of its kind? Do youthink BioWare's formula is getting old now and they should find new ways to make their games more innovative? I really like BioWare games. I play NeverWinter Nights and Star Wars KotoR on my PC still and I really enjoy them, but I do tend to feel that their formula has remained similaras their past games. Even Jade Empire and Mass Effect seems to play the same.

But these are RPGs so maybe it's a little bit more difficult and a risk to change a formula. I guess for RPGs, a similar formula is the way to go just like all those countless JRPGs that come out every time.

But I think BioWare should try out new things for their next game, maybe a more innovative RPG or a FPS-styled RPG or something. While working on KotoR III of course! ;)

ASK_Story

Not if trying something new means another Jade Empire instead of a KOTOR.

Shinoto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 Shinoto
Member since 2006 • 8331 Posts
Too many 10 Games comming out lol. Bioshock, Halo 3, COD4, MAss Effect, And Orange Box. Just too much lol. Im really glad I jumped in on 360 too now. Definitely going to be getting COD4 and Mass Effect. (Orange box for PC) and Bioshock later on the road
pungaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 pungaboy
Member since 2002 • 270 Posts
EA just bought BioWare and Pandemic. * *insert sound of millions of jaws hitting the floor.
Mr_Satch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mr_Satch
Member since 2007 • 148 Posts

I will buy anything from Bioware regardless of any review because I have enjoyed every game that they've

had a hand in.

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

Take this, do something with this, I don't know what it is tho

Mass Effect Review

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

Game Informer is GameStop's evil propaganda magazine designed to sell games, so I wouldn't trust it entirely, but it's still a pretty good indicator of a great game.LordAndrew

Not true.

GI has been around a long time. Theysimply made a deal with EB/Gamestop to sell subscriptions to their magazine along with membership in the Edge card program.

As credibility goes, I'd rank them considerably higher than EGM.

Testoster0wn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Testoster0wn
Member since 2007 • 43 Posts

Just got my November issue of Game Informer (wasn't expecting it this early and I also wasn't expecting Tim Schafer's new game on the cover: "Brutal Legend") and low and behold, Mass Effect is reviewed!

Concept: One of the greatest science fictions stories ever told, and a new benchmark for video game storytelling

Sound: One of the most memorable and unique soundtracks in gaming. It's inspired by '80s sci-fi, yet sound like nothing you've heard before. The game also features an amazing ensemble of voice actors.

Playibility: Functional and fun, but something always seems to be an amiss with the AI and balancing

Entertainment: An expansive quest (18-30 hours) that toys with your emotions, and keeps you engaged

GFX: Every second of gameplay offers the visual quality you have come to expect from Final Fantasy cutscenes

Replay Value: High

mattm025

Looks pwnage. Just remember that Game Informer isn't Gamespot, so they're a lot less harsh when it comes to rating games.

Erasorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Erasorn
Member since 2004 • 14502 Posts
only 9.75 from GI?.. Pass!
ananda81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ananda81
Member since 2005 • 3332 Posts

Day 1 purchase.

Not because of this Review, but because I have been anticipating and have been excited about Mass Effect for a long time now!!! ...soon it's finally here! XD