Am I The Only One Who Thought The Orginal Gameboy Was Overated?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18827 Posts

I 1st got one in 1995 and i didnt really support it. I think i only had one game and thats it. Sure i played many gameboy games that were okay buti just didnt care enough for them to ask someone to buy it. Besides if u want to compare just gamesGamegear gameswins hands down.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8985103&publicUserId=5379721

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

I never liked handhelds during that time, including the GameGear. But I thought the Game Boy was rubbish.

Now, IIRC the original GB came out in 1989. If you got one until 1995, that may affected your view of the system.

Needles-Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Needles-Kane
Member since 2004 • 2040 Posts
No, I thought it was awful. (I was of proper gaming age/era to enjoy it too in case you're wondering, born 1980)
FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts

I remember when it was released only one kid in my school had one (with super mario land.)

At the time it was amazing. I guess, to be honest, it never had that many great games though. Lots of them for sure, but only a few gems.

I did like the GameBoy Pocket though. You could actually see what you were doing!

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#5 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
I had an original Gameboy,it was my first gaming devices.It was alright.I remember the one game that I played like crazy was the old Bomberman game.Beating that game was one of my most proudest gaming achievements.I did not start really getting into handhelds until the Gameboy Color came around and they started advertising Donkey Kong Country.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Game Boy Color!
Mr_Nordquist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mr_Nordquist
Member since 2009 • 1777 Posts

Overrated in that it had some pretty awesome portable games, and didn't suck a nuclear power plant dry in 2 hours (*cough* gamegear *cough*) :P

Actually, I really didn't like the first Gameboy, but I owned a Pocket when I was actually old enough to get one for Christmas :D Then I got a Color for my 7th or 8th birthday with Pokemon Red. Best birthday ever!!!!!!!

POKEMON!!!!!!!!!!!

clsmithj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 clsmithj
Member since 2008 • 217 Posts
The Sega Game Gear was indeed superior to it in every way, well except for that 6AA battery usage thing. Most Game Gear games got scored higher review scores than Gameboy for the multi-plat games. Sega back then was real good at marketing GameGear into making the original GameBoy into a monochrome joke. Why Sega decided to forgo the GameGear when they could have easily modernized it with a slimmer look and less battery requirement when Nintendo released GameBoy pocket I'll never know. But I find it ironic that it would take years before Nintendo finally decided to come up with a color GameBoy and still fail at providing a backlight.
SegaGenesisfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SegaGenesisfan
Member since 2008 • 1085 Posts

Heck yes, but there was some good games, like Legend of zelda Links awakening, for some reason the super nintendo game bores me, but this one I can play and always enjoy. There was donkey kong that helped, but most of the games were rubbish. It just shows how much of suckers people really are.

The gameboy advanced sp does major justic, because it gives you a seeable screen, a recharable battery, and it has the graphics of the super nintendo.

One thing about the other handhelds is ghosting.

jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
GameBoy Color was overrated, but I enjoyed the Gameboy. It also helps that Pocket helped give the Gameboy more appeal in terms of size, but it wasn't worth having 3 different system which played the same games.
Anthony01355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Anthony01355
Member since 2006 • 1486 Posts

I had Battletoads for GB and it was so hard I could never get past like the third level. When you lost all your lives you had to start from level 1.

Mike1978Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mike1978Smith
Member since 2005 • 2012 Posts
The original gameboy was an awesome device. The problem is that Nintendo milked that format for far too long and they should have left it behind and moved on when the game gear came out.
CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
got one in 1995PSP107
Considering by that time the Game Boy was already 6 years old it was no wonder you didn't think much of it. When it was released in 1989 there was nothing like it, it kicked ass! The Game Gear was still a year away, sure it was a better console when it was released but lets not forget how that thing eat batteries. :)
AdolescentDon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 AdolescentDon
Member since 2005 • 9081 Posts

The gameboy was great, i used to take mine with me everywhere when i was a kid! Then the gameboy pocket came out and I was all over that too, much better than the Original.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

The original gameboy was an awesome device. The problem is that Nintendo milked that format for far too long and they should have left it behind and moved on when the game gear came out.Mike1978Smith
The GameGear came out only a year away from the Game Boy.

The Game Boy was released in 1989 and the Game Gear in 1990.

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

dude u did this thread in system wars already.....

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts
The GameGear was pretty good, especially for its time, had some solid GameGear-only games too. The Game Boy just caught on i guess, it was cheap and had games that went well with the masses. Even the GBA wasnt that great. With the GBA and DS however, you got console quality games, or games that were as enjoyable, i dont remember enjoying any strategy game as much as the AW series
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18827 Posts
[QUOTE="PSP107"]got one in 1995CellAnimation
Considering by that time the Game Boy was already 6 years old it was no wonder you didn't think much of it. When it was released in 1989 there was nothing like it, it kicked ass! The Game Gear was still a year away, sure it was a better console when it was released but lets not forget how that thing eat batteries. :)

I played GB way before i eventually got one
kimkim01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kimkim01
Member since 2009 • 704 Posts
Well it had Tetris when it came out. That was enough to get people to buy that two-pack; Tetris anywhere! what a combo!
covertgamer78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#20 covertgamer78
Member since 2005 • 1032 Posts
Game Gear was much better from a technology point of view. Gameboy was fun despite being in 4 colors IMO, but like others I didn't pay that much attention to the handheld systems at that time. Atari Lynx and Turbo Express were even better.
Lisaanne30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 Lisaanne30
Member since 2007 • 1472 Posts
The original gameboy was an awesome device. The problem is that Nintendo milked that format for far too long and they should have left it behind and moved on when the game gear came out.Mike1978Smith
yea , if you got a original gameboy when they first came out like i did but i was young then lol they were awesome back then .
4StringSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 4StringSamurai
Member since 2008 • 277 Posts

it was my first gameing system so I thought it was awesome, even though all I had for it was pokemon red.

toxic_jackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 toxic_jackal
Member since 2007 • 1793 Posts

The original GB was overrated? I'm not so sure what to think, since anyone I know that plays video games never even talks about the original GB. Plus, I was only a few years old when my siblings got that big, blocky portable GB. :P I think GB Pocket was awesome though, though I could never actually fit it into my pocket.

The original GB had some good games though...that I really can't remember lol. The few that come to mind(at least for me) were the Pokemon games, Final Fantasy Legend III, Dragon Warrior I & 2, Super Pro-am Racing(I think that's what it's called), and any of the Kirby games.

SciFiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 SciFiCat
Member since 2006 • 1750 Posts
You gotta see in hindsight what the GameBoy accomplished. It came out in a time where most handheld games where the Tiger like single screen games. The Gameboy had a dot matrix screen, exchangeable games with actual sprites and 8bit music (instead of monotone bleeps )and handheld versions of Mario, Metroid and Zelda. It was a revolution compared to anything that was seen before. But most importantly, it was a reliable, battery efficient system, something quite important for a system on the go. There where reason why it won over other more technically advanced handhelds, it's 10 hours average of battery life with 4 AA batteries, (compared to the 4-5 hours the Game Gear achieved using 6 AA, a larger library of games and price ($89.95 with Tetris vs $149,95 Gamegear withou pack in.) You just got into it too late to appreciate its impact.
MrNacaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MrNacaa
Member since 2006 • 510 Posts
I thought it was pretty good. Actually tihnking about buying one with all the games I used to have just for nostalgia.
King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#26 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts
You gotta see in hindsight what the GameBoy accomplished. It came out in a time where most handheld games where the Tiger like single screen games. The Gameboy had a dot matrix screen, exchangeable games with actual sprites and 8bit music (instead of monotone bleeps )and handheld versions of Mario, Metroid and Zelda. It was a revolution compared to anything that was seen before. But most importantly, it was a reliable, battery efficient system, something quite important for a system on the go. There where reason why it won over other more technically advanced handhelds, it's 10 hours average of battery life with 4 AA batteries, (compared to the 4-5 hours the Game Gear achieved using 6 AA, a larger library of games and price ($89.95 with Tetris vs $149,95 Gamegear withou pack in.) You just got into it too late to appreciate its impact.SciFiCat
This post pretty much describes why the Game Boy lasted so long while the other handhelds failed.
Mr_Matthews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mr_Matthews
Member since 2009 • 277 Posts

Thinking that the original Gameboy was overrated is overrated.

Considering the fact that before the Gameboy came out, we had what? Those hokey little Tiger LCD games? Sega, Atari, and NEC all tried to outperform the Gameboy, and from a graphical standpoint they succeeded. But the Gameboy outlasted all of them because it was ultimately a better machine. It had more memorable games AND it ran for days off four AA batteries.

woogity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 woogity
Member since 2007 • 192 Posts

You have to have been around when it was originally released. It was so awesome playing Tetris and Super Mario Land back then. Gamegear was garbage, I don't understand how anyone thinks it's better than the Gameboy. The only thing it had over the Gameboy was color, but it doesn't matter since the games sucked.

ac_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 ac_90
Member since 2009 • 249 Posts
game gear was not better than game boy are you guys serious the thing ate 6 batteries in 2 days and every game i played for it was boring, uninspired and really inferior to the master system versions of the same games. i dont know man thats just my opinion but i thot the game boy was a way better portable system and it had a lot more memorable classics and its a fun system to collect for
JmanRBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 JmanRBS
Member since 2006 • 394 Posts

I liked the gameboy, I remember playing Zelda Links Aweakening on the original gameboy on a LOOOONG drive to oklahoma back in 1995 and I almost beat it too. Didn't even use a guide because back then there was no gamefaqs I believe..and plus I was in a car most of the time lol.

Mr_Matthews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mr_Matthews
Member since 2009 • 277 Posts

Honestly, I see the Gameboy vs. Game Gear debate the exact same way I see the DS vs. PSP.

Just because a system is more technologically impressive than the competition does not make it a better system. The Game Gear had ZERO identifying games - all it had were portsof existing Genesis and Master System titles. It was literally being marketed as a "handheld console," whereas the Gameboy was treated as a standalone system. There were just as many (if not more) original titles for the Gameboy as there were multiplats.

JReefer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32 JReefer1
Member since 2004 • 898 Posts
Not until I played Turbo Express, although I only owned a Atari Lynx, on gameboy I loved the game Super Mario Land .
enix165

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 enix165
Member since 2007 • 1848 Posts

I dunno...I think the SNES was overrated if you ask me. I loved my Game Boy...XD

jasonw131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#35 jasonw131
Member since 2004 • 357 Posts

I didn't care much for the Game Boy. I had one with two games i didn't play when i finished them. I quit portable gaming after that, only to resume in '02, when i got a GBA.

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

i still own the brick and it still works FTW! its not over rated but i never got to play anything besides tetris pokemon and dkl2:cry:

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

kinda difficult to call it overrated when i experienced it as a kid....

Staszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 Staszy
Member since 2009 • 241 Posts
only reason i liked it was pokemon ;P