Am I crazy for thinking Super Mario Sunshine is better than Super Mario 64?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

spau0588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 spau0588
Member since 2013 • 59 Posts
Here's where I stand on all the collect 120 stars 3d mario games. My favorite is sunshine then 64 the galaxy 2 then galaxy 1. Also people might say that I'm crazy for saying I thought both the galaxy games were great. Anyone agree with my list? This is up there on my favorite group/series of games. Probably 2nd the the Ratchet and clank future games.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Never played Sunshine myself, though Super mario 64 hasn't exactly aged as well as some other games have, so I could see it.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#3 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
Couldn't get into Sunshine. I only got 59 Shines and then moved on to beat the game. I just wasn't feeling the level design and objectives.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
I keep saying Sunshine is better than Galaxy and people don't like it very much. That's why I keep saying it, see.
spau0588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 spau0588
Couldn't get into Sunshine. I only got 59 Shines and then moved on to beat the game. I just wasn't feeling the level design and objectives. JustPlainLucas
You missed out
spau0588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 spau0588
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]I keep saying Sunshine is better than Galaxy and people don't like it very much. That's why I keep saying it, see.[/QUOTE Sunshine is better than galaxy. Eventhough I like and own both the galaxy games I didn't like how there were sooo many levels. With 64 and sunshine there were around 10 in each which is perfect. Also in galaxy I didn't like running around on planets upside down. I'd rather have a flat piece of land to run around on instead of running in circles. All great games though
spau0588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 spau0588

Never played Sunshine myself, though Super mario 64 hasn't exactly aged as well as some other games have, so I could see it.

DJ-Lafleur
Games don't change over time so it can't change other than the cartridge itself. I can go back to Mario 64 anytime and have a blast.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DJ-Lafleur

[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

spau0588

Games don't change over time so it can't change other than the cartridge itself. I can go back to Mario 64 anytime and have a blast.

No games don't change, but they can still "age", in that they not be physically/technically different, but just feel different. Whether it be controls or graphics, games can age in such a way.

The perfect example for me is Goldeneye 64. I loved the sh*t out of that game when I was younger, I played it so much with friends and siblings, it was terrific. But as I grew up and played more games and FPSes, the controls for console shooters evolved, such as with Halo.

I remember like a year or two ago I went to a friend's house and he had an N64 and copy of Goldeneye 64. Me and couple of friends were like "f*ck yeah, we should play this game again!" And when we actually started playing,  my lord it controlled terribly. It felt so clunky and awkward. Trying to shoot was a pain in the a$$. It was just not as fun as it used to be.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#9 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

You missed outspau0588
Eh, can't miss out on what I'm not missing.

Games don't change over time so it can't change other than the cartridge itself. I can go back to Mario 64 anytime and have a blast.spau0588

True, but people's tastes and expectations have. Games have evolved over time; mechanics have improved; graphics have improved, etc. For instance, I loved the post-PS Final Fantasys, but when I tried to play the first Final Fantasy on the NES, it just couldn't. It was so antiquated, it was unplayable to me.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Black_Knight_00

Sunshine is better than galaxy. Eventhough I like and own both the galaxy games I didn't like how there were sooo many levels. With 64 and sunshine there were around 10 in each which is perfect. Also in galaxy I didn't like running around on planets upside down. I'd rather have a flat piece of land to run around on instead of running in circles. All great games thoughspau0588
My problems with Galaxy are: 1) Linear levels as opposed to large open levels of Mario 64 and Sunshine 2) Bad camera controls

Sure it looks great but I see it as a step backwards gameplay-wise

Solid_Snake325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 Solid_Snake325
Member since 2006 • 6091 Posts
Yeah pretty crazy, I couldn't even finish Sunshine, lost interest. Everyone's different though. I actually think Mario 64 is the king of mario games.
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#12 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I don't think so. Sunshine is unecessarily hated on and it's a great game.

chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#13 chicknfeet
Member since 2004 • 15630 Posts
Everybody has their own tastes. I enjoyed Sunshine just enough to finish it. It was cute enough. The other games, i didn't want to be bothered to play. They all seemed to be striking the same note which is not something i was interested in. If you enjoyed Sunshine more than the other 3-D Mario games, then you are more than welcomed to your own opinion
SwagKingCole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SwagKingCole
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Super Mario Sunshine had one of the happiest, most relaxing atmospheres of any game I have ever played. Not many people are willing to call out Super Mario 64 because it's a classic. Personally, I agree with you, sir.

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
I never even finished the first level in Sunshine but I think 64 is just about as overrated. To me Mario will always belong in the 2nd dimension :)
Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

No games don't change, but they can still "age", in that they not be physically/technically different, but just feel different. Whether it be controls or graphics, games can age in such a way.

The perfect example for me is Goldeneye 64. I loved the sh*t out of that game when I was younger, I played it so much with friends and siblings, it was terrific. But as I grew up and played more games and FPSes, the controls for console shooters evolved, such as with Halo.

I remember like a year or two ago I went to a friend's house and he had an N64 and copy of Goldeneye 64. Me and couple of friends were like "f*ck yeah, we should play this game again!" And when we actually started playing,  my lord it controlled terribly. It felt so clunky and awkward. Trying to shoot was a pain in the a$$. It was just not as fun as it used to be.

DJ-Lafleur

A lot of N64 games (and 5th generation 3D games in general) aged like sh*t because of the piss poor framerate and the clunky 3D controls, because there's ben so much advancement in thest two areas. Goldeneye 64 is notorious for those two aspects, and if you go back playing Conker's Bad Fur Day, for example, it'll probably be as unplayable because the inconsistent framerate is even worse than in Goldeneye. But Mario 64, albeit simplistic, doesn't have these issues, and it's a enjoyable game. 

If the framerate is solid, and if the 3D controls are simple & tight, 5th generation games can easily be enjoyable right off the bat if they are well designed. That is, if your mindstate can be adujsted to pixelated, low poly graphics. Personally, i don't mind 5th generation graphics at all, if these two issues do not exist, even though i am a PC gamer. 

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#17 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70062 Posts

Mario Sunshine is the absolutely the worst 3d Mario game I had the displeasure of playing. Yes it looked great and the concept was cool but the execution was simply piss poor.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DJ-Lafleur

[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

Lucianu

A lot of N64 games (and 5th generation 3D games in general) aged like sh*t because of the piss poor framerate and the clunky 3D controls, because there's ben so much advancement in thest two areas. Goldeneye 64 is notorious for those two aspects, and if you go back playing Conker's Bad Fur Day, for example, it'll probably be as unplayable because the inconsistent framerate is even worse than in Goldeneye. But Mario 64, albeit simplistic, doesn't have these issues, and it's a enjoyable game. 

If the framerate is solid, and if the 3D controls are simple & tight, 5th generation games can easily be enjoyable right off the bat if they are well designed. That is, if your mindstate can be adujsted to pixelated, low poly graphics. Personally, i don't mind 5th generation graphics at all, if these two issues do not exist, even though i am a PC gamer. 

I wouldn't really be able to speak for Super Mario 64, since the only version of that game I played was the DS version.

I think the only two games I could ever really go back to on the N64 now are Ocarina of Time and majora's Mask. The N64 controller really is bad though and probably one of my least favorite controllers ever.

unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts
Sunshine is great, I liked it more than the galaxy games, but not better than Mario 64.
Avatar image for SteveTabernacle
SteveTabernacle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 SteveTabernacle
Member since 2010 • 2584 Posts
Mario 64 was an experimental first step, it's not surprising that it aged very poorly.
YosemiteSam400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 YosemiteSam400
Member since 2013 • 159 Posts
[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

spau0588

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17680 Posts

Enjoyment of a game is subjective.  Why would that make you crazy?

Rawrrah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Rawrrah
Member since 2012 • 38 Posts
I think both Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine are 'okay'. I think most people saying that Super Mario 64 is one of the best games are heavily affected by nostalgia.
hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22401 Posts
I loved Sunshine... Great game and probably my favourite Mario actually.
Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25 Yoshi9000
Member since 2010 • 479 Posts

No, sunshine was my favorite of all the 3d mario platformers

-FLUDD kicked ass, awesome character and tool.

-Levels were more memorable. You can say to a friend "hey, remember that windmill level in mario sunshine." "Oh yeah, my favorite was the theme park one". But in galaxy "Uh, the level with the floating platforms".

-Better story. Okay, so mario games arent about the story, but atleast sunshine was more engaging. Going on vacation, and being framed for a mess, and then this shadow mario guy shows up, and you find out his true identity. Atleast there was some.

Overall, super mario sunshine was the best, I'm just a big fanboy for the game, and blinded as to see how galaxy can be better. As for 64, it might have been better for its time, but overall, not as good as sunshine.

taiwwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 taiwwa
Member since 2012 • 301 Posts

I agree with the OP. I enjoyed Sunshine more.

Then again, I started with teh gamecube, not the N64.

I liked sunshine more than galaxies. 

Also liked windwaker more than ocarina

taiwwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 taiwwa
Member since 2012 • 301 Posts

I agree with the OP. I enjoyed Sunshine more.

Then again, I started with teh gamecube, not the N64.

I liked sunshine more than galaxies. 

Also liked windwaker more than ocarina

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Black_Knight_00

Mario Sunshine is the absolutely the worst 3d Mario game I had the displeasure of playing. Yes it looked great and the concept was cool but the execution was simply piss poor.

Pedro
And why is that?
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pedro

[QUOTE="Pedro"]

Black_Knight_00

And why is that?

The game simply lacked the refinement found in the other 3d Marios. Accessing the levels were simply a hassle. It was not a simple go to location A and enter level. The water canon/squirter was undermined by allowing the tank to run out of water. The camera controls were less that ideal. Yoshi was practically useless and required too much initial investment to simply use him.  The game looked great and I enjoyed the music and the overall controls but the game as a whole was simply a mess.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Pedro"]

Pedro

And why is that?

The game simply lacked the refinement found in the other 3d Marios. Accessing the levels were simply a hassle. It was not a simple go to location A and enter level. The water canon/squirter was undermined by allowing the tank to run out of water. The camera controls were less that ideal. Yoshi was practically useless and required too much initial investment to simply use him.  The game looked great and I enjoyed the music and the overall controls but the game as a whole was simply a mess.

None of those points seem in any way valid to me: levels were meant to be discovered, which is why the entrances were less obvious, making the water gun infinite would have broken the game and removed any challenge and strategy, the camera is the exact same as the one in Zelda Wind Waker and is massively superior to the one in Mario 64 and even Galaxy, Yoshi is just a bonus and it was the first instance of it being controllable in 3D, I don't see why complain. I don't see anything warranting the definition of "mess" concerning Mario Sunshine.
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Pedro

None of those points seem in any way valid to me: levels were meant to be discovered, which is why the entrances were less obvious, making the water gun infinite would have broken the game and removed any challenge and strategy, the camera is the exact same as the one in Zelda Wind Waker and is massively superior to the one in Mario 64 and even Galaxy, Yoshi is just a bonus and it was the first instance of it being controllable in 3D, I don't see why complain. I don't see anything warranting the definition of "mess" concerning Mario Sunshine.Black_Knight_00

It should never be a hassle to get into a level. We play Mario games for the levels not for finding the levels. The first few were easy to access the later a unecessarily involved. 

Infinite water gun would not have broken the game. The older Mario, modern 2D Mario and even in Galaxy the powers are infiinite. The challenge remained and these games weren't broken. The water gun is fun and it should not have been nerfed. The levels should have been designed around it with the intention of it being infinite.

I found the camera to be the weakest of all the 3D Marios so, I guess we would have to part ways on that one. :)

It makes no sense to me to include something as a bonus that is not only tedious but generally useless. The use of Yoshi in SMW was nothing short of excellence. The implementation in Sunshine is gimmicky and severely lacking when compared to the previous use of Yoshi. It doesn't matter if it was the first 3D implementation, it was still poorly implemented.

So I guess, my "mess" is your treasure :P.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] None of those points seem in any way valid to me: levels were meant to be discovered, which is why the entrances were less obvious, making the water gun infinite would have broken the game and removed any challenge and strategy, the camera is the exact same as the one in Zelda Wind Waker and is massively superior to the one in Mario 64 and even Galaxy, Yoshi is just a bonus and it was the first instance of it being controllable in 3D, I don't see why complain. I don't see anything warranting the definition of "mess" concerning Mario Sunshine.Pedro

It should never be a hassle to get into a level. We play Mario games for the levels not for finding the levels. The first few were easy to access the later a unecessarily involved. 

Infinite water gun would not have broken the game. The older Mario, modern 2D Mario and even in Galaxy the powers are infiinite. The challenge remained and these games weren't broken. The water gun is fun and it should not have been nerfed. The levels should have been designed around it with the intention of it being infinite.

I found the camera to be the weakest of all the 3D Marios so, I guess we would have to part ways on that one. :)

It makes no sense to me to include something as a bonus that is not only tedious but generally useless. The use of Yoshi in SMW was nothing short of excellence. The implementation in Sunshine is gimmicky and severely lacking when compared to the previous use of Yoshi. It doesn't matter if it was the first 3D implementation, it was still poorly implemented.

So I guess, my "mess" is your treasure :P.

I don't see how the camera in Sunshine can be the weakest of all 3D mario games: in Mario 64 it was just a prototype which had a will of its own and Galaxy doesn't even have camera control for the most part. Powers in previous Mario games were infinite (even then: it depends) because you lose them as soon as you get it once, whereas you can't lose the water gun. Making it infinite would mean that people would have kept the R button pressed for the whole game without any need for strategy or timing.
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Pedro

I don't see how the camera in Sunshine can be the weakest of all 3D mario games: in Mario 64 it was just a prototype which had a will of its own and Galaxy doesn't even have camera control for the most part. Powers in previous Mario games were infinite (even then: it depends) because you lose them as soon as you get it once, whereas you can't lose the water gun. Making it infinite would mean that people would have kept the R button pressed for the whole game without any need for strategy or timing.Black_Knight_00

It is possible that my experience with the camera was different to yours but it wasn't particularly good when I played. With regards to the infinite water gun. I would have liked if the game was designed with it being infinite in mind, allowing gamers to enjoy the mechanics while still being challenged. I really liked the concept and the way it handled quite a lot. But, I think it could have been exploited significantly more. What aspects of the game appealed to you?

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] I don't see how the camera in Sunshine can be the weakest of all 3D mario games: in Mario 64 it was just a prototype which had a will of its own and Galaxy doesn't even have camera control for the most part. Powers in previous Mario games were infinite (even then: it depends) because you lose them as soon as you get it once, whereas you can't lose the water gun. Making it infinite would mean that people would have kept the R button pressed for the whole game without any need for strategy or timing.Pedro

It is possible that my experience with the camera was different to yours but it wasn't particularly good when I played. With regards to the infinite water gun. I would have liked if the game was designed with it being infinite in mind, allowing gamers to enjoy the mechanics while still being challenged. I really liked the concept and the way it handled quite a lot. But, I think it could have been exploited significantly more. What aspects of the game appealed to you?

Big open levels, lots of acrobatics, great caribbean-theme, amazing visuals, sharp controls... it's the natural evolution of the Mario 64 formula (as opposed to the linear, scripted nature of Galaxy) what's there not to like?
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pedro

Big open levels, lots of acrobatics, great caribbean-theme, amazing visuals, sharp controls... it's the natural evolution of the Mario 64 formula (as opposed to the linear, scripted nature of Galaxy) what's there not to like?Black_Knight_00

The parts I mentioned before :P. 

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Big open levels, lots of acrobatics, great caribbean-theme, amazing visuals, sharp controls... it's the natural evolution of the Mario 64 formula (as opposed to the linear, scripted nature of Galaxy) what's there not to like?Pedro

Which hardly qualify the game as a mess. Oh well, de gustibus
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
[QUOTE="Pedro"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Big open levels, lots of acrobatics, great caribbean-theme, amazing visuals, sharp controls... it's the natural evolution of the Mario 64 formula (as opposed to the linear, scripted nature of Galaxy) what's there not to like?Black_Knight_00

Which hardly qualify the game as a mess. Oh well, de gustibus

I'm on your side. The game is downright brilliant. The controls, and camera, are more refined than 64, and the dive move was still there which allowed for more finesse character control compared to galaxy. I do like Galaxy though--it's probably got the tightest pure 3d platforming, but Sunshine has it all--the platforming and the larger open world type segments. The grafitti Mario was also really well done.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Black_Knight_00
I'm on your side. The game is downright brilliant. The controls, and camera, are more refined than 64, and the dive move was still there which allowed for more finesse character control compared to galaxy. I do like Galaxy though--it's probably got the tightest pure 3d platforming, but Sunshine has it all--the platforming and the larger open world type segments. The grafitti Mario was also really well done.Heirren
Now I want to play Sunshine again. Might be an excuse to blow that inch of dust off my Wii
Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

The private jet that Princess Peach and her entourage used to travel to Nutcase Island (I forget its real name but based on what I can remember of its inhabitants this is as apt a description as any) was simply adorable. Not sure what it says about her carbon footprint, though. I wonder if the Mushroom Kingdom has a version of the Sierra Club. "Yes to green hills and free, untamed Parakoopas! No to large green pipes and brick squares hovering inexplicably in mid air!"

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

To each their own.

I've always loved Mario games but paradoxically, the only thing I can clearly remember about Sunshine was how forgettable it was.